Wes Welker....to sign, or not to sign, that is the question...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Wes Welker....to sign, or not to sign, that is the question...

Let me start off by the saying the drop in the Super Bowl in no way influences me at all when looking forward.

-Welker has been THE best slot receiver in the league, and one of the top receivers period, for a span of about 4 years.

-The Pats, typically, do not pay top positional money.

-Aaron Hernandez shares a lot of the same receiving space as Welker does and is decidedly younger and cheaper.

-Welker, I expect, will be looking for top money, at least something akin to Moss 3/27.

I ask because, quite frankly, the middle of the field is not where the pats struggle to find people.

What if the choice was sign Welker, OR sign, say...Vincent Jackson? Marques Colston? Robert Mathis? Michael Griffin?

I love Welker, I love the effort he puts in, the work he does, and the numbers he puts up. I think he'll still do it for another 3+ years. I just think, given the other pieces on this roster, the money he will command, and the needs of this team...I really think the smart football decision is to use the money elsewhere.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hulk. Show hulk's posts

Re: Wes Welker....to sign, or not to sign, that is the question...

Great post.  It will be a tough decision, but I believe that Welker will not demand as high a price as we think.  If the Patriots can give him a nice bonus up front, I think he will stay at a lower price then what he can get out there.  Staying here, he knows he will be on a championship caliber team for years to come, a great owner and a great coach.  I know there is no such thing as team/player loyalty, but I think Welker knows this is where he can have his greatest expirience.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

SIGN!  No question.

Then on the offensive side of things get Brady a RB that a team has to gameplan for!  Plus a solid #1 WR that Brady can turn to.  These two things would only make Welker that much more effective in the offense!  Defenses wouldnt' know who to cover/defend.  Brady would go back to spreading the ball around to like 8-9 different players in a course of a game.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Ask Tom Brady.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

He should be signed, but Patriots just need another receiver who is more of a deep threat receiver.  So B.B. can spread out the offense.  Without no deep threat receiver, it is easier for these opponent's secondary to stay as close to all receivers!!!  

By looking at NFL free agent of 2012, there are alot of good available receivers.  Patriots should go after one or two since Branch is a free agent too.   He is too old to play.  Release Chad Ocho!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

It's simple. With Brady and this team in general you take the known over the unknown everyday and then some. How many players (vets) have we seen come in here and just can't do anything with this team? Brady is a timing QB. We've seen it time and time again. When the receivers or TB's timing is off the O fails. Welker and Brady have good timing and chemistry and you don't mess that up. You keep him and try to add someone to him.

Personally I'd let Branch go, unless he's willing to be a #3/4 WR and get paid like it, kepp Welker, and try hard to get Lloyd. At least Lloyd has played and excelled in McDaniels system. He's more of a known that any other FA so there's less risk of another Ocho moment

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Seems that most want to keep Welker and add an outside option...

I don't see how feasible that is money-wise. If you're right above about Welker not getting the big money some (me) are expecting, then, yes, I think it's much more realistic. But I don't see Welker signing for less than $8mil a year average.

I've watched Welker put up HUGE reception numbers, and it's meant little for the Pats during the playoffs. I honestly can't remember a big playoff performance he's had. Maybe they exist, but they don't seem too memorable to me. Good teams in the playoffs remove him as an option.

Ideally, I agree, adding someone like Lloyd while keeping Welker would be ideal, but I don't see them being able to add that type of contract, while still paying Ocho, and giving Welker his money. Would be nice though.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from profootball. Show profootball's posts

110% Wes Welker will be back in the Pats uniform next season. In addition, the Pats need a star receiver like Calvin Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald.  Deion Branch will be demoted to the 3 spot receiver.

Sections
Shortcuts