Wes who?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Wes who?

I saw all I need to know about the coming season on the Brady to Amendola pass fest last night.

BB made the right decision. He proves that the system is the what works not the player.

Exception is Tom Brady.

I like the new WR group too.

Patriots are bringing the Lombardi back to New England.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

Re: Wes who?

In response to kansaspatriot's comment:

I saw all I need to know about the coming season on the Brady to Amendola pass fest last night.

BB made the right decision. He proves that the system is the what works not the player.

Exception is Tom Brady.

Agree.  Plus the target he offers TB seems much larger than the height difference between the 2.  That 2nd play of the game - quick sideline out pattern - no way WW comes down with that one.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

True enough. Too many big passes dropped by Wes. It's called choking. It's a shame because he was an easy guy to like.

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff6/babeparilli/gif_193x113_39ce6f_zps83b8ca29.gif?t=1373985234

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to kansaspatriot's comment:

Exception is Tom Brady.

I don't know if it's "the system" as much as the talent too.

Amendola isn't chopped liver. The first time I saw him play, I posted here, about how I thought he could do Wes' job.

Some WRs have it, but the teams they have don't have the skills to get after it like Brady does. The guy makes throwing those short/intermediate routes look like it is nothing at all, but they are tremendously difficult to be so accurate with. 

There is no time for adjustment, so you need to needle your pass to hit the guy in stride, or its just a bad pass and a risky play. 

Also guys like Amendola, even among slots, are rare. Wes and Danny have that one step speed, where they are just off to the races after the catch.

They just happen to be elite slot type guys, who are both fortunate enough to play for a team that features that spot, and has a QB who owns the routes. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

One preseason game guys.  I don't think there is anyone that doesn't think Amendola is a talent, with exception of the Rams with Tavon Austin.  Amendola is going to do well, no doubt, but really to make remarks like this after 1 preseason game of multiple catches is pretty premature. 

While Amendola has some upside, there is a reason he has followed in Welkers shadow over the years.  I don't think he is as shifty as Welker is and I think Amendola goes down after contact a lot easier then Welker does.  Also, Amendola looked gassed in that fast paced offense last night, he better improve his conditioning.  Welker could keep the pace.

But of course the real issue is missing games.  If Amendola can play all season long like last night without missing games then yeah, we could say Wes who.  Gotta prove it first guys, he is a long way (16 full games worth) of doing that.

---------------------------------------------

"Being the best doesn't mean you always win. It just means you win more than anybody else."  Text received by Tom Brady from Kurt Warner after Ravens loss.

view my Patriots photoshops at patsfanfotoshop.tumblr.com

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

One preseason game guys.  I don't think there is anyone that doesn't think Amendola is a talent, with exception of the Rams with Tavon Austin.  Amendola is going to do well, no doubt, but really to make remarks like this after 1 preseason game of multiple catches is pretty premature. 

While Amendola has some upside, there is a reason he has followed in Welkers shadow over the years.  I don't think he is as shifty as Welker is and I think Amendola goes down after contact a lot easier then Welker does.  Also, Amendola looked gassed in that fast paced offense last night, he better improve his conditioning.  Welker could keep the pace.

But of course the real issue is missing games.  If Amendola can play all season long like last night without missing games then yeah, we could say Wes who.  Gotta prove it first guys, he is a long way (16 full games worth) of doing that.

---------------------------------------------

"Being the best doesn't mean you always win. It just means you win more than anybody else."  Text received by Tom Brady from Kurt Warner after Ravens loss.

view my Patriots photoshops at patsfanfotoshop.tumblr.com

right on tfb12!   you gotta bring back your photo of the big kool-aid guy....lol   

but yeah LONG ways to go!   lets not out anyone in the hall of fame just yet....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Well, the reason he was in anybody's shadow was because: 1. he played for a bad football team that had basically zero visibility and 2. he missed a lot of games. 

1 is no longer a concern, the jury is still out on 2. But by the initial returns, if he stays healthy he will be a darn good replacement. Better in some respects than WW because of his size and straight line speed.

But in the end you're right, he needs to prove it. Time will tell. There have been guys who struggled with health in their early years and became durable and great. Fred Taylor comes to mind.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

This guy will have 148 catches, 1400 yards and 15 TDs

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

While Amendola may work out very well in replacing ( surpassing?) Wes Welker.  Welker's contribution to the team and the fans' experience when he was here should not be just dismissed, and he personally be badmouthed, only because he is now with another team. Is that how you guys treat your previous friends? Why not just move on?

Living well is the best revenge.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I'd be happy if he is 85% the player Wes was for us, because I can more than live with a guy that catches 85 balls and keeps the chains moving. I think truly if we just feed and feed and feed, one guy in this offense, we aren't going to win anything when it matters. And I don't think Amendola will last past October if we do that anyway.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

Pump the breaks bro! LOL.. Eh if you're right... well my goodness.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I am watching Wes right now tear up the Seahawks...just caught a TD...he looks great...on the same page already with Manning

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Uh oh . . . sounds like what Rusty calls the binkie receiver . . . Wink

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Amendola > Welker, even if Welker was in his prime. Amendola is just a superior athlete.

Zach "Don't call me 'Suddsy'" Sudfeld

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

This is just pure lunacy !

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

Amendola > Welker, even if Welker was in his prime. Amendola is just a superior athlete.

How can you even say this?  Welker had the better college career in receiving and punt/kick returns.  Welker has had the better Pro career.  Please show me where Amendola is a superior athlete.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to NOISE's comment:

right on tfb12!   you gotta bring back your photo of the big kool-aid guy....lol   

Help!  I don't rememeber that one.  What was it?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

[QUOTE]

How can you even say this?  Welker had the better college career in receiving and punt/kick returns.  Welker has had the better Pro career.  Please show me where Amendola is a superior athlete.

[/QUOTE]

Yea, I hear ya... how quickly people turn on an ex-player... I wonder who will be better than both Welker and Amendola in 4-5 years??? Tavon Austin as a Pat!????

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

I mean Sudfield better than AH is now surfacing.. c'mon.  Different players and I hope Sudfield becomes big time, but waaaay to early to say that.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to Getzo's comment:

I mean Sudfield better than AH is now surfacing.. c'mon.  Different players and I hope Sudfield becomes big time, but waaaay to early to say that.  

LOL, I have read that too.  And hey, I'm huge on Sudfeld but lets talk about this during the real season after some real game play.  Like you say, it is way, way too early to be talking like this!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Amendola is taller, faster, stronger, runs a more diverse route tree because he's big enough to play outside/slot and Amendola has better hands. While I don't want Brady to become overly reliant on Amendola like he was with Welker, I don't doubt for a single second that Amendola could outperform any season Welker had. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Amendola is taller, faster, stronger, runs a more diverse route tree because he's big enough to play outside/slot and Amendola has better hands. While I don't want Brady to become overly reliant on Amendola like he was with Welker, I don't doubt for a single second that Amendola could outperform any season Welker had. 

[/QUOTE]

Again, how can you even prove this?  Nothing you have stated is proof and there are no numbers to qualify this statement.

As I mentioned, Welker had the better college career both receiving and kick/punt returns.  Welker has had the better pro career.  Amendola runs a more diverse route tree?  Show me.  Since 2009 Amendola ran a higher % of his routes from the slot (85.3%) compared to Welker (73.8%).  Welkers YAC and more production on Yards Per Route Run don't back up your claims.

Matter of fact... Welker’s career catch rate (71.18 percent) and his yards-after-catch percentage (52.19 percent) are the highest-documented rates for any wide receiver (min. 400 receptions).

While Amendola has a carrer 8.81 average yards gained per reception for his career. It happens to be the worst average in NFL history for a wide receiver with at least 100 receptions.

So there aren't really any numbers that are going to back up any of your claims here.  Can Amendolla be as productive as Welker?  Can he have more of an impact to the team as Welker did?  I sure hope so, I want another  SB Victory.  But until Amendola can prove these things and stay healthy for a season in order to provide the needed impact then these type of statements have no merit to them what so ever.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

I agree I hope TB dosn't become dependent on Amendola like he did with Welker. There are enough recievers, TEs and RBs to spread the ball around and make sure Amendola is not over used.

A guy can make 100 catches a year, and  get a thousand yards, but all he has to do is drop a pass and lose the super bowl for your team, and you've become yeaterday's news.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I'd be happy if he is 85% the player Wes was for us, because I can more than live with a guy that catches 85 balls and keeps the chains moving. I think truly if we just feed and feed and feed, one guy in this offense, we aren't going to win anything when it matters. And I don't think Amendola will last past October if we do that anyway.

I'd be happy with 50% of the Welker production, if he catches all the big balls Wes dropped in the playoffs.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

In response to NOISE's comment:

[QUOTE]

Help!  I don't rememeber that one.  What was it?

[/QUOTE]

i thought you had a big picture of the kool-aid guy that you posted in the past - maybe it wasnt you the tfb....no worries....

Sections
Shortcuts