Wes who?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME2. Show NEGAME2's posts

Re: Wes who?

Welker hurt his ankle in last nights game

Champ Bailey, Wes Welker hurt in Denver Broncos' loss

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000231447/article/champ-bailey-wes-welker-hurt-in-denver-broncos-loss

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to NEGAME2's comment:

Welker hurt his ankle in last nights game

Champ Bailey, Wes Welker hurt in Denver Broncos' loss

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000231447/article/champ-bailey-wes-welker-hurt-in-denver-broncos-loss

Champ is hurt so he can hide.  It's time for him to retire or be a target for opposing qbs to pick on.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

In response to TFB12's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Amendola > Welker, even if Welker was in his prime. Amendola is just a superior athlete.

Zach "Don't call me 'Suddsy'" Sudfeld

How can you even say this?  Welker had the better college career in receiving and punt/kick returns.  Welker has had the better Pro career.  Please show me where Amendola is a superior athlete.

[/QUOTE]

Amendola is taller, faster, stronger, runs a more diverse route tree because he's big enough to play outside/slot and Amendola has better hands. While I don't want Brady to become overly reliant on Amendola like he was with Welker, I don't doubt for a single second that Amendola could outperform any season Welker had. 

[/QUOTE]

Don't discount Welker's quickness, agility, and good decision making to adjust to a defense, though.  Not all of football is size and straight line speed.  Welker has some skills that aren't quite so easy to measure, but are also important.  Welker is especially good at finding (the right) holes in zone defenses and making quick moves to get to those holes before the defense can adjust. We'll see if Amendola is as good at that.  There are plenty of receivers in the NFL who are even bigger and faster and stronger than Amendola, so if size, speed, and hand strength were everything, Amendola would be a middling receiver and Welker might not even be playing.  But those measurables aren't nearly the whole story . . . 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Amendola > Welker, even if Welker was in his prime. Amendola is just a superior athlete.

How can you even say this?  Welker had the better college career in receiving and punt/kick returns.  Welker has had the better Pro career.  Please show me where Amendola is a superior athlete.

[/QUOTE]

Amendola is taller, faster, stronger, runs a more diverse route tree because he's big enough to play outside/slot and Amendola has better hands. While I don't want Brady to become overly reliant on Amendola like he was with Welker, I don't doubt for a single second that Amendola could outperform any season Welker had. 

[/QUOTE]

Again, how can you even prove this?  Nothing you have stated is proof and there are no numbers to qualify this statement.

As I mentioned, Welker had the better college career both receiving and kick/punt returns.  Welker has had the better pro career.  Amendola runs a more diverse route tree?  Show me.  Since 2009 Amendola ran a higher % of his routes from the slot (85.3%) compared to Welker (73.8%).  Welkers YAC and more production on Yards Per Route Run don't back up your claims.

Matter of fact... Welker’s career catch rate (71.18 percent) and his yards-after-catch percentage (52.19 percent) are the highest-documented rates for any wide receiver (min. 400 receptions).

While Amendola has a carrer 8.81 average yards gained per reception for his career. It happens to be the worst average in NFL history for a wide receiver with at least 100 receptions.

So there aren't really any numbers that are going to back up any of your claims here.  Can Amendolla be as productive as Welker?  Can he have more of an impact to the team as Welker did?  I sure hope so, I want another  SB Victory.  But until Amendola can prove these things and stay healthy for a season in order to provide the needed impact then these type of statements have no merit to them what so ever.

[/QUOTE]

Welker benefits from playing under the greatest QB of all time--Tom Brady. Welker can have the honor of having the greatest 6 year WRing span in New England/NFL history, don't want Brady to prove that Amendola is a more diverse WR. I want to see Thompkins, Boyce and Dobson get some work along with my guy Zach Sudfeld. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

The Buccaneers first quarter was painful to watch, Brady didn't even bother throwing to anyone else! Besides the fact that I worry Amendola's health every time he catches a ball and I don't don't want to lose him in the PS, I don't want our offense to become predictable. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Towelie-Toke. Show Towelie-Toke's posts

Even if Amendola can stay healthy and fill Welker's shoes, Brady has to do his part and distribute the ball to the open receiver.....and not necessarily lock onto one receiver.

It's great to have Brady, but the team can't win the SB only on his shoulders.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

Yes, Amendola  is looking good in the preseason.  But why bash Wes?  As a football fan and diehard Pats fan I appreciate everything Wes gave to the Pats. He's one of the best in all of football.

I hope we do see the emergence of new star receivers with TB. I hope that Amendola stays injury free.  It's been fun watching the offense take shape in the two preseason games. I would make comparisons on level of play or contributions to the Pats between Wes and Amendola at the end of this season.

Meantime- GO PATS!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

As much as we would like to compare WW and DA they have only one similarity... they play the same position. The skill sets they bring to the table are quite different.

WW is as good as any wide reciever at getting open and catching balls in the middle of the field 10 yards from the line of scrimmage that I have ever seen. He is quick and tough/durable in absorbing hits in that part of the field. He is great at getting of the line and beating jam coverage. His weakness are catching balls on the side lines and further down field. His quickness does not translate into speed further down field when running deeper routes and he seems to drop more balls the further down field it is thrown to him.

DA is a more athletic reciever with great hands. He can make the circus catch along the side lines and because of his open field speed he runs better 10+ yard routes. He does not have the same quickness as WW when it comes to operating in that 10 yard area fron the line of scimmage. He will be asked to do some of the things that Welker did but I have a feeling we will see more of the seam route and sideline routes from DA than those short middle of the field routes we saw from WW. Not saying he not going to run them but there just won't be as many.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjetssuc. Show nyjetssuc's posts

They're both good...I loved what Amendola did, liked what Wes did with the Pats...but I also watched some of the Denver game last night and Wes was doing for them what he did for us, getting 11 yds. on 3rd down when they needed 10 on the exact same type of routes in tight coverage....it's way to early to tell what's going to happen, if Wes continues to choke with big games on the line or whether Amendola can stay healthy....I'm willing to wait...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

Wes?  Foot injury?  Is he just tweaking Rex again?  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Again, how can you even prove this?  Nothing you have stated is proof and there are no numbers to qualify this statement.

As I mentioned, Welker had the better college career both receiving and kick/punt returns.  Welker has had the better pro career.  Amendola runs a more diverse route tree?  Show me.  Since 2009 Amendola ran a higher % of his routes from the slot (85.3%) compared to Welker (73.8%).  Welkers YAC and more production on Yards Per Route Run don't back up your claims.

Matter of fact... Welker’s career catch rate (71.18 percent) and his yards-after-catch percentage (52.19 percent) are the highest-documented rates for any wide receiver (min. 400 receptions).

While Amendola has a carrer 8.81 average yards gained per reception for his career. It happens to be the worst average in NFL history for a wide receiver with at least 100 receptions.

So there aren't really any numbers that are going to back up any of your claims here.  Can Amendolla be as productive as Welker?  Can he have more of an impact to the team as Welker did?  I sure hope so, I want another  SB Victory.  But until Amendola can prove these things and stay healthy for a season in order to provide the needed impact then these type of statements have no merit to them what so ever.

[/QUOTE]

"Amendola is taller, faster, stronger, runs a more diverse route tree because he's big enough to play outside/slot and Amendola has better hands"

Welker                         Amendola

Ht              5'9"                 5'10"     Taller         

40             4.65                 4.58      Faster                    

3 cone       7.09                 6.81      Faster                     

Vert          30"                   31.5                 

BP             12 reps            13 reps   Stronger

Not sure why you get so passionate when it comes to Welker, TFB12 but Danny is taller, faster, stronger, younger and according to my wife a lot cuter.  Now this route tree stuff really can't be quantified yet so I won't comment on it.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

"Amendola is taller, faster, stronger, runs a more diverse route tree because he's big enough to play outside/slot and Amendola has better hands"

Welker                         Amendola

Ht              5'9"                 5'10"     Taller         

40             4.65                 4.58      Faster                    

3 cone       7.09                 6.81      Faster                     

Vert          30"                   31.5                 

BP             12 reps            13 reps   Stronger

Not sure why you get so passionate when it comes to Welker, TFB12 but Danny is taller, faster, stronger, younger and according to my wife a lot cuter.  Now this route tree stuff really can't be quantified yet so I won't comment on it.

Because the dude is good, was a major part of the Patriots success on offense and now seems to get dissed by some Pats fans for foolish reasons.  Where is the respect?

Btw check out the 40 times here...

Draft Scout Snapshot: 03/12/04 - Senior wide receiver/return man WES WELKER... weighed in at 5086, 195 pounds... ran 4.61/4.64/4.68 in the 40... 4.02 short shuttle... 7.06 in the three cone... 30" vertical... 9'5" broad jump

And you forgot to mention:

Broad jump:  Welker 9'5", Amendola 8'07"

20 yard shuttle: Welker 4.01, Amendola 4.25

So I'm still not convinced on all these more athletic claims, lol!!

But this must be the deciding factor...

In response to tcal2-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

according to my wife a lot cuter.

[/QUOTE]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In response to edsam44's comment:

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to mthurl's comment:

[QUOTE]

I'd be happy if he is 85% the player Wes was for us, because I can more than live with a guy that catches 85 balls and keeps the chains moving. I think truly if we just feed and feed and feed, one guy in this offense, we aren't going to win anything when it matters. And I don't think Amendola will last past October if we do that anyway.

I'd be happy with 50% of the Welker production, if he catches all the big balls Wes dropped in the playoffs.

[/QUOTE]
    the boston bashing of ex boston players is unreal! real "loyal" fans, my a@s

[/QUOTE]

You have to respect the team first mentality, but I hear ya. 

You'd think Welker left the Pats for the Jets, took less money just to rub it in, punched TB in the face, and dropped the pass in the SB on purpose. 

I will say his lack of clutch hands had been concerning.

So we know that Amendola brings more versatility and better hands to NE.  That being said it's not fair to take away the amazing production that Welker accomplished, nor would it be fair to compare Amendola's contribution to that of Welkers.  I think Amendola is more Victor Cruz than Welker.  Really he is somewhere in-between. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Dont call me a fan who hates a player once he leaves, I never liked Wes Welker. I dont like any slot WRs not named Victor Cruz, they're midgets who are good to have when you have the lead because they eat clocks and they'll get you the minimum yards you need to keep your offense on the field, but they wont win you a game. If you're losing a game and the best WR you have is a slot WR, might as well call it quits.

Sections
Shortcuts