Westhoff’s accusation against Pats potentially violated league rules

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hoier. Show Hoier's posts

Westhoff’s accusation against Pats potentially violated league rules

Will the mother f****ers  out of New York ever stop?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/16/westhoffs-accusations-against-pats-potentially-violated-league-rules/

Four days after the trip heard ’round the NFL world, the story continues to grow, well, legs.

On Wednesday, the Jets announced that strength coach Sal Alosi’s suspension through the end of the 2010 season would be converted to an indefinite suspension, given the conclusion that Alosi had been aligning players on the edge of the field to impede gunners from opposing punt teams.  Then, Jets special-teams coordinator Mike Westhoff accused the Patriots of doing the same thing, via confusing comments in which Westoff simultaneously seemed to suggest that the Patriots were doing nothing wrong while insisting that his own name not be attached to such dastardly deeds.

In subsequent remarks, Westhoff further clouded the issue.  “I’m not accusing the Patriots of doing something wrong,” Westhoff said at a press conference. “Maybe they’re doing something smart.”  Fine, so why has Westhoff vehemently distanced himself from the apparently legal practice of lining up personnel on the white stripe that lines the field?

Setting aside (for now) the question of whether Alosi truly was acting alone or whether he’s merely taking the fall for Westhoff and/or others, a league source pointed out to us on Wednesday night that Westhoff’s decision to publicly point a finger at the Patriots potentially violates separate rules regarding the procedure for making complaints about other teams.  Put simply, if one NFL team has a beef with another NFL team, the grievance must be aired privately and through proper league channels.

The issue last came up in 2008, when Raiders owner Al Davis strongly implied that the Patriots had tampered with receiver Randy Moss before swinging a trade for the player who went from underachiever in Oakland to superstar in Boston.  The league fired off a letter to Davis reminding him of the prohibition against making such public claims, and essentially instructing him to either file tampering charges with the league office or drop it.

It remains to be seen whether the league office reminds the Jets of this provision, or whether any punishment will be imposed.  Multiple league sources have suggested that nothing will happen; accurate or otherwise, there’s a perception in league circles that the Jets receive special treatment from the league office.

That perception has been bolstered by the fact that Alosi’s actions were deemed to be sufficiently egregious to justify an indefinite suspension by the Jets, but that the league has imposed no penalty on the Jets.  Compare that with last month’s Spygate II episode, in which the Broncos were fined $50,000 simply by virtue of the fact that they employed a video operator who (supposedly) videotaped a 49ers’ walk-through practice as a rogue act.

The league can’t have it both ways, no matter how badly the league wants to see this situation go away quickly and as quietly as possible.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from patswirelessfan. Show patswirelessfan's posts

Re: Westhoff’s accusation against Pats potentially violated league rules

When your busted what else is he going to say.

The problem is not only they planned it, BUT that the fact that a member of the staff interfered with the ongoing play where he could have seriously injured the player.

He's lucky his knee wasn't blown out, looks like 2-3 inches more and the impact would have been right into his knee.

Wonder what would have happened if he did blow out his knee....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

Why didn't they bring up Hanesworth if their going to bring up tampering charges. It seems funny to me that 1 minute after midnight the start of the trading a guy gets signed to a massive contract.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ricky1554atl. Show ricky1554atl's posts

This is how it starts. With verbal comments trying to avert any wrong doing. Rats fleeing a sinking ship.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Setting up the wall was an illegal act and it was coached.This is from ESPN.com:

NFL vice president of football operations Ray Anderson has reviewed the play and he said what Alosi ordered was illegal. At the owners meetings in Fort Worth, Texas, he cited two NFL rules about where players, coaches and support staff are supposed to stand.

When asked if they were in violation of the rules, Anderson said: "Yes."

This isn't the first time Alosi has ordered players to line up either, according to a player who was on the wall on Sunday.

"We've been doing that since the beginning of the year, standing right there. Sunday was not the first time that we'd been doing that," Jets tight end Jeff Cumberland said.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

The Jets have a new stadium to pay for.  The league is going to protect them at all costs.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

Thanks mrmojo

In the end all that matters is the TRUTH. Jests cheated and have all year long. For now the league imposes NOTHING. It's not what he said or she said. All that has done is what it was meant to. Another thing Westhoff has been with them as the ST coach since 2001. So past years are relevant. This is more than the one time thing the broncos did.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

In Response to Re: Westhoff’s accusation against Pats potentially violated league rules:
    [QUOTE]Setting up the wall was an illegal act and it was coached.This is from ESPN.com: NFL vice president of football operations Ray Anderson has reviewed the play and he said what Alosi ordered was illegal. At the owners meetings in Fort Worth, Texas, he cited two NFL rules about where players, coaches and support staff are supposed to stand. When asked if they were in violation of the rules, Anderson said: "Yes." This isn't the first time Alosi has ordered players to line up either, according to a player who was on the wall on Sunday. "We've been doing that since the beginning of the year, standing right there. Sunday was not the first time that we'd been doing that," Jets tight end Jeff Cumberland said.
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]

First of all, Alosi didn't order it. He might lead that thing, but he didn't order the cheating approach.  No team has conditioning coaches ordering anything.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In Response to Re: Westhoff’s accusation against Pats potentially violated league rules:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Westhoff’s accusation against Pats potentially violated league rules : First of all, Alosi didn't order it. He might lead that thing, but he didn't order the cheating approach.  No team has conditioning coaches ordering anything.
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%.Those weren't my words,those are from the article that I quoted.I believe Ryan coached them to do that.He was standing 5 feet behind the "wall".Alosi is the fall guy in this to keep the heat of Rex and the rest of the coaching staff IMO. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

The strength and conditioning coach takes it upon himself set up a wall.  Right.  The special teams coach had no idea what was going on.  Right.  A team up north does it too.  Right. 

Sal Alosi did something very stupid, a coach interfering with a player is about as low as you can go in pro sports.  But I doubt acted on a his own and I'm willing to bet that he doesn't get free reign to tell guys to do anything outside of the weight room. 

Trying to blame others when you're caught red handed is a behavior that most of us stopped doing after 5 yrs of age.  Even if other teams do it, is there no coaches' code that frowns upon tattletales in the NFL?   

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

The conditioning coaches only job during a game is to keep the inactive players behind the with line. Not the fat on along the sidelines but the skinny one 3 yards behind that. The idea that a group of players would break the rules and risk getting in trouble on his orders is laughable.

Equally laughable is the pathetic accusation by Westhoff that the Pats do it too. He noticed the Pats doing it but didn't know his own team doing it? Yeah everyone should believe that. But you know every single employee of ESPN and the other NYC media giants are going through thousands of hours of tape looking for anything that remotely looks like a wall on the Pats sideline.

What a great example of the level of desperation in the Jets organization. Maybe they could get another reality TV show out of this. I'm not sure what they'd call it since the name 'Biggest Loser' is already taken.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Westhoff’s accusation against Pats potentially violated league rules : I agree 100%.Those weren't my words,those are from the article that I quoted.I believe Ryan coached them to do that.He was standing 5 feet behind the "wall".Alosi is the fall guy in this to keep the heat of Rex and the rest of the coaching staff IMO. 
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]

I know it wasn't you.  I am just responding to the lame statement via the NFL.  Goodell has this nasty habit of being inconsistent, phony and politically correct. 

Very bad combo. 

Anyone with a brain knows that kind of thing comes from the top, not some underling looking to entertain himself and the inactive players during the game.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LittleTimmy31. Show LittleTimmy31's posts

The Jints are 2 games back of the Pats and fading fast. This is just another distraction to take focus away from the demise of these phonies, pretenders, and non-contenders.

Go Pats!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

I'm sure BB heard this and is even more convinced the Pats need to hand the Jets another whooping come playoff time.

The jets are a weak organization that can't stand any turbulence. I would wish the Jets out of the playoffs completely but I would actually like the pats to play them in round 1 over San Diego.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

The Jints are the Giants not the Jets

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Asher77. Show Asher77's posts

This is all BS. Walls are legal and the Pats and many other teams should employ it and I would think most do. There is a line they must stand behind, if you are behind it you are not in violation. Why would you not stand close to it and take away potential running lanes from the gunners coming downfield? You would and should do this as it is allowed within the rules. Gunners know this and account for it.

The story and ONLY story here is the stupid moronic act of one man who went out of his way to not just be a stationary road block but to actualy initiate the contact, and of all places, a prone, unexpected players knee.

Throwing a punch the player saw coming would have been much better imoa

Ban him from football ( too harsh ), fine him, suspend him, and lets move on please.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

The politician's best defense is an attack ad to take the public's mind off of the original charge.  I keep thinking of Senator John Edwards's response to allegations that he had an affair.  He admitted the affair but resolutely damned unnamed sources who said the baby was his.  Well, wait a minute, what baby, and who made this second claim?  The only claim was about an affair. 

(In the end, the baby was his.)

The tripping incident was entirely between the Jets and Dolphins.  Who better to smear than the Patriots? 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from taljr. Show taljr's posts

The Jets are a classless organization. Just admit your mistakes and accept responsibility. To bring up the Pat's in this discussion is so ridiculous. Their coaches look so clueless in this whole thing.For coach Westoff to say he knew nothing about the situation but then accuse the Pat's of doing it too is pretty screwed up. It's amazing how their season is just crumbling around them, coaches and all.

Look at the NY Times online under the THE FIFTH DOWN Section. There is a dedicated article entitled

Jets’ Westhoff Says Patriots Use Sideline Walls, Too

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/12/16/jets-westhoff-says-patriots-use-sideline-walls-too/?ref=sports

I really thought I couldn't hate the Jets more than I do now...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaxpat. Show jaxpat's posts

In Response to Westhoff’s accusation against Pats potentially violated league rules:
    [QUOTE]Will the mother f****ers  out of New York ever stop? http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/16/westhoffs-accusations-against-pats-potentially-violated-league-rules/ Four days after the trip heard ’round the NFL world, the story continues to grow, well, legs. On Wednesday, the Jets announced that strength coach Sal Alosi’s suspension through the end of the 2010 season would be converted to an indefinite suspension, given the conclusion that Alosi had been aligning players on the edge of the field to impede gunners from opposing punt teams.  Then, Jets special-teams coordinator Mike Westhoff accused the Patriots of doing the same thing , via confusing comments in which Westoff simultaneously seemed to suggest that the Patriots were doing nothing wrong while insisting that his own name not be attached to such dastardly deeds. In subsequent remarks, Westhoff further clouded the issue.  “I’m not accusing the Patriots of doing something wrong,” Westhoff said at a press conference. “ Maybe they’re doing something smart .”  Fine, so why has Westhoff vehemently distanced himself from the apparently legal practice of lining up personnel on the white stripe that lines the field? Setting aside (for now) the question of whether Alosi truly was acting alone or whether he’s merely taking the fall for Westhoff and/or others, a league source pointed out to us on Wednesday night that Westhoff’s decision to publicly point a finger at the Patriots potentially violates separate rules regarding the procedure for making complaints about other teams.  Put simply, if one NFL team has a beef with another NFL team, the grievance must be aired privately and through proper league channels. The issue last came up in 2008, when Raiders owner Al Davis strongly implied that the Patriots had tampered with receiver Randy Moss before swinging a trade for the player who went from underachiever in Oakland to superstar in Boston.  The league fired off a letter to Davis reminding him of the prohibition against making such public claims, and essentially instructing him to either file tampering charges with the league office or drop it. It remains to be seen whether the league office reminds the Jets of this provision, or whether any punishment will be imposed.  Multiple league sources have suggested that nothing will happen; accurate or otherwise, there’s a perception in league circles that the Jets receive special treatment from the league office. That perception has been bolstered by the fact that Alosi’s actions were deemed to be sufficiently egregious to justify an indefinite suspension by the Jets, but that the league has imposed no penalty on the Jets.  Compare that with last month’s Spygate II episode, in which the Broncos were fined $50,000 simply by virtue of the fact that they employed a video operator who (supposedly) videotaped a 49ers’ walk-through practice as a rogue act. The league can’t have it both ways, no matter how badly the league wants to see this situation go away quickly and as quietly as possible.
    Posted by Hoier[/QUOTE]

I think the Jets are experiencing a bad of case of Patriots envy.  They're just pissed because the Pats are bigger and better than their little Jets.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rosmay. Show rosmay's posts

Maybe I am guilty of viewing the tripping incident wrong, but as a former football official I see no problem with lining players up along the sideline. The tripping yes, That is interfering with play. But not lining up. Every game I have ever watched or officiated the players lined up along the sideline just to view what was happening on the field or getting ready to enter the game. No violation there. What benefit is derived by lining them up? They are not on the field of play or interfering with play. Where would they be required to stand, behind the bench? The only retrictions I can recall were:; 1. Coaches and players not playing were not allowed to enter the field of play (usually ignored unless some interference occurred or unsportsman like conduct was detected.)  2. Players on the sideline were retricted to remaining between the two thirty-five yard line markers. (Also frequently ignored.)

If I am wrong will someone explain things to me.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Westhoff’s accusation against Pats potentially violated league rules : First of all, Alosi didn't order it. He might lead that thing, but he didn't order the cheating approach.  No team has conditioning coaches ordering anything.
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

Did anybody else see this partial transcript posted of the hearing involving Alosi and Goodell? Anyway, here it is, very interesting:

NYJ Strength Coach Sal Alosi: You want answers?

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell: I think I'm entitled.

Alosi: You want answers?!

Goodell:  I want the truth!

Alosi:  You can't handle the truth! Son, we live in a world that has walls and those walls need to be guarded by players and coaches. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Fat Rex? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Nolan Carroll and curse the New York Jets; you have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that Carroll's injury, while tragic, probably saved yards and that my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves yards. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties you want me to form that that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like honor, code, knee injuries. We use them as the backbone of a life trying to defend something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who profits from the football I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you," and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest that you put some cleats on and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to.

Goodell: Did you order the wall?

Alosi: I did the job I had to do.

Goodell: Did you order the wall?!

Alosi: You're God damn right I did!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

[QUOTE]This is all BS. Walls are legal and the Pats and many other teams should employ it and I would think most do.  Posted by Asher77[/QUOTE]

From ESPN.com:

NFL vice president of football operations Ray Anderson has reviewed the play and he said what Alosi ordered was ILLEGAL. At the owners meetings in Fort Worth, Texas, he cited two NFL rules about where players, coaches and support staff are supposed to stand.

When asked if they were in violation of the rules, Anderson said: "Yes."

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Westhoff’s accusation against Pats potentially violated league rules : Did anybody else see this partial transcript posted of the hearing involving Alosi and Goodell? Anyway, here it is, very interesting: NYJ Strength Coach Sal Alosi: You want answers? NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell: I think I'm entitled. Alosi: You want answers?! Goodell:  I want the truth! Alosi:  You can't handle the truth! Son, we live in a world that has walls and those walls need to be guarded by players and coaches. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Fat Rex? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Nolan Carroll and curse the New York Jets; you have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that Carroll's injury, while tragic, probably saved yards and that my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves yards. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties you want me to form that that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like honor, code, knee injuries. We use them as the backbone of a life trying to defend something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who profits from the football I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you," and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest that you put some cleats on and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to. Goodell: Did you order the wall? Alosi: I did the job I had to do. Goodell: Did you order the wall?! Alosi: You're God damn right I did!
    Posted by Muzwell[/QUOTE]

LOL...A Few Bad Boys.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 00chief00. Show 00chief00's posts

"mom, they did it too!"

what is this guy 10 years old?

this is laughable. no worries, when ever anything goes wrong in NYC they always try to spin it off on us.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Westhoff’s accusation against Pats potentially violated league rules : Did anybody else see this partial transcript posted of the hearing involving Alosi and Goodell? Anyway, here it is, very interesting: NYJ Strength Coach Sal Alosi: You want answers? NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell: I think I'm entitled. Alosi: You want answers?! Goodell:  I want the truth! Alosi:  You can't handle the truth! Son, we live in a world that has walls and those walls need to be guarded by players and coaches. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Fat Rex? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Nolan Carroll and curse the New York Jets; you have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that Carroll's injury, while tragic, probably saved yards and that my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves yards. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties you want me to form that that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like honor, code, knee injuries. We use them as the backbone of a life trying to defend something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who profits from the football I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you," and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest that you put some cleats on and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to. Goodell: Did you order the wall? Alosi: I did the job I had to do. Goodell: Did you order the wall?! Alosi: You're God damn right I did!
    Posted by Muzwell[/QUOTE]

Well . . .  it was only a matter of time before we got around to this^.

Nice job, Muz

Cool