We've Got Your Back, Bill

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

After reading several media accounts of how BB was an idiot to go for it on a 4th and 2 from his own 28, and how BB committed the NFL equivalent of hubris by so doing, my opinion on this controversy has changed completely. In my report card, I gave BB and his staff an "F" for going into what appeared to be a  prevent defense in the 4th quarter, and for the controversial play call. Let me now change that grade to a "G", for guts. 

BB has made his mark as a coach and a GM by being unconventional. While an assistant with the NY Giants in 1991, BB was the architect of a defensive game-plan consisting on playing just two down lineman, 4 LBs and 5 CBs. It was used to slow down the then high-powered Buffalo Bills offense...resulting in a Giants' 20-19 SB triumph.

In 2000, BB took over the then lowly NE Patriots, and built them into an instant contender after just one year. He did this by the unconventional theory of signing mid-level free agents, rather than stars. His idea was to establish a strong middle-class on his team...giving them lots of depth to absorb injuries...while keeping their salary cap manageable.

During the 2001 season, BB again did the unconventional in selecting a young DE named Richard Seymour, while the so-called experts howled for him to take Michigan WR David Terrell. BB continued going against the grain when he stuck with a young QB named Tom Brady, instead of turning the reins back over to his injured veteran star QB, Drew Bledsoe. 

BB's Patriots would go on to play the "Greatest Show on Turf" St. Louis Rams, in SB 36. In that game, BB again went against the grain, opting to basically remain in nickel coverage throughout the game. Then, with just 1:08 left to play, and the score tied at 17, with the ball inside his own 20...he went contrary to the TV booth experts by turning loose young Tom Brady to go for the win. The result, a great QB emerged..as Brady led his team on an incredible drive for the game winning FG, giving the Pats a 20-17 SB Championship.

In 2003, BB signed veteran safety named Rodney Harrison from the San Diego Chargers. Harrison was thought by the experts to be washed up when BB brought him aboard. Then, on the eve of the season, BB made the radical move of cutting team captain Lawyer Milloy. Milloy would go to division rival Buffalo, and would help the Bills crush the Pats, 31-0. The Milloy move set the football media into a feeding frenzy on BB...only to see BB and his Patriots bounce back with a vengance by capturing their 2nd SB in three years...with a 32-29 win over the Carolina Panthers. 

In 2004, BB again rocked the experts by adding an alleged locker room cancer, in veteran RB Corey Dillon...for a 2nd round draft choice. Dillon would respond with the finest season of his career, as he and Brady led the Pats to their 3rd SB title in 4 years...beating the Philadelphia Eagles, 24-21. 

In the 2005 NFL draft, BB shocked the media draft gurus when he chose an unheard of OG by the name of Logan Mankins with his #1 pick. Mankins would go on to become a Pro-Bowl caliber guard. 

In 2006, BB eschewed a torrent of criticism by taking a hard stance on the free agency demands of starting WRs David Givens and Deion Branch. Givens would leave for Tennessee, where he became a highly paid non-factor (due primarily to a severe knee injury). Branch ended up being traded to Seattle in a highly controversial move for Seattle's #1 draft choice in 2007 (which BB used to select budding star safety, Brandon Meriweather). Like Givens, Branch's career fizzled in Seattle, primarily due to a knee injury. BB signed retread WRs Jabar Gaffney and Reche Caldwell...and barely missed out on another SB championship.

In 2007, BB again did the unexpected in taking on a supposedly "troubled", fading WR, named Randy Moss. The cost for Moss was a mere 4th round draft choice. Since joining the Patriots, Randy Moss has been a model teammate, a leader, and has regained his spot as being the best WR in the NFL. BB also spent what initially seemed to be a considerable sum of money...and 2nd and 7th round draft choices...to accquire restricted free agent Wes Welker from the Miami Dolphins. BB would also trade away his own #1 selection in 2007 to San Francisco for the 4th round pick, used to obtain Randy Moss, and for the 49ers' #1 pick in 2008...which was eventually used to draft star LB Jerod Mayo. 

In 2008, while most Patriots' fans were screaming that he be cut, BB decided to keep back-up QB Matt Cassel. Cassel would lead the Pats to an 11-5 record, after taking over for the injured Tom Brady. 

In the 2009 NFL draft, after an eternity of trades and trade-downs, BB would acquire the 34th overall pick for Matt Cassel (which was used to select promising safety, Patrick Chung) He also acquired current starting CB, Darius Butler, and budding star OT, Sabastien Vollmer. Like Mankins before him, no one had ever heard of Vollmer. Vollmer was widely referred to as a "reach", when the Pats selected him with the 58th overall pick. Next, BB shocked the football world again by trading fading star DE Richard Seymour to the Oakland Raiders, for the Raiders' #1 draft choice in 2011. 

Finally, last night in Indy, BB again did the unconventional by going for it on a 4th and 2, from his own 28 yard line. Since this supreme gamble didn't work, the jackals in the media that despise BB have come out of the woodwork like roaches in an infested apartment...to  berate, belittle, and ridicule a man, who might just be the greatest football coach of all time.

Ask yourself this. What if the Pats had been successful on the 4th and 2 gamble? What do you think the fans and pundits would be saying today? How many times would the adjectives "brilliant" and "gutsy" be used in sentences containing BB's name? 

Please keep right on being your own unconventional self, Bill. Sorry about us Patriot fans over-reacting a bit. We've got your back, Bubba.           

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Re: We've Got Your Back, Bill

Great Post Texas but unnecessary. No need to defend coach. He made the decision based on "what gave us the best chance to win" I will take Belichick making the decisions for our organization over any other coach in the league. You can say he was wrong because we didn't execute(even though we did that was a terrible spot and tough break for a visiting team) or if we get the correct spot we win and he is a hero. We will use this loss as motivation for the rest of this year. I hope the Tom Jackson's of the world come out in full force and rip BB so we can add more fuel to the New England Patriot Fire!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southernpat. Show southernpat's posts

The bottom line is this, BB has been an NFL coach for 35 years.  He is intimately familiar with the team, its strengths and weaknesses.  Fans, posters and casual observers are not.  I accept his explanation, he did what he thought would give the team its best chance to win.  I was originally against the call, but now can see the logic behind it.  I was pessimistic about the Pats chances against Indy but I now feel that they can beat New Orleans and run the table to go 13-3.  I will accept that record every single year. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

I was not and am not a fan of going for it last night. But that said, I also know that it is easy for me to second guess the decision. If he had made it, as he usually does, I would be here talking about how great a coach he is.

BB is the best coach in football. Would want no one else leading the team. I love the fact that the "media" and others feel it is always a good time to jump on Bill's back and beat him down. I love it because they fear him that much. You don't spend time on the air beating up on a coach who does not matter.

Bill takes the heat because he is the best....

Behind him 100%, and because I am I will call him out on a play. Not as a coach, but on a play, I disagree with. Bill is MY coach.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bchan89. Show bchan89's posts

it is too funny to hear people bash BB for the play call.  Bill made the same call against the Falcons, it was from about the same spot but early in the game not the last offensive play. Before the fourth down conversion it seemed like the Falcons had all the momentum and then when the Offense converted and later scored on the Drive the game shifted to the Pats favor.  Football is a game of inches and sometimes it is your team that comes up short.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LuvsThosePats. Show LuvsThosePats's posts

Well TP, I'm glad you've come around on this.  Believe me, I've been almost physically sick all day about this, but BB recognized a screw-job when he saw it coming, and his decision was dictated by that.  I don't question it myself; I'm just unhappy that the team didn't execute the play.  But this too shall pass.  I don't understand why the other league owners put up with this from Indy though.  I mean, the Steelers almost got screwed in that dividional playoff in 2005 on that outrageous call that took away Polamalu's interception.  I can definitely see why Ocho Cinco had that money out. HA!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

LOVE YOUR POST!!! I have been saying similar things in different threads, but you nailed it!  Hero/Goat status is seperated by a VERY thin line, and you can't wind up on the right side of it all the time.  At least he has the guts to try.  In SB36, Madden says " oh, they will take a knee here and go into overtime"  Bill knew whoever got the ball would score and win, and so he played to win the game.  I loved his guts then, and still do.  Sometimes it doesnt work out.  2007 was one time, now this is another.  I'M STILL HERE.  AND BILL B IS STILL THE ONLY COACH IN THE NFL I WOULD WANT RUNNING MY TEAM.  btw, is Jim Caldwell not the scariest thing on earth?  Its like he's carved out of soap, he doesn't move at all.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

Finally a "report" card I can agree with!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-in-md. Show pats-fan-in-md's posts

Bill,

Next time you are in this position let the other team score on their 1st possesion.
    That would of left Brady enough time to get the offense down the field into field goal position.

Your friend in Marylalnd

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from auchhhhhhhhhhh. Show auchhhhhhhhhhh's posts

I think this is a good post, to remind everybody the great great things BB has done for this league and this team. Yesterday call  WORK NICELY !!!! but the refs did not think so. FAULK made it by at least 1/4 a yard, but the Refs did not want to get into trouble with Polian.

I´m happy to have a Coach that still plays the game like a men, that gambles and is not afraid of the outcome.

This is the best way to build a great team once again, to gamble with draft picks, to gamble with last minute trades, to gamble with ex QB`s playing WR, to gamble recluting wrestlers as OL, to gamble playing with rookies, to Gamble with 40 years old LB, to gamble with intelligence and to gamble with passion for reaching excellence.

Bill Belichick has our back !!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from auchhhhhhhhhhh. Show auchhhhhhhhhhh's posts

In Response to Re: We've Got Your Back, Bill:
    [QUOTE]Bill, Next time you are in this position let the other team score on their 1st possesion. That would of left Brady enough time to get the offense down the field into field goal position. Your friend in Marylalnd
    Posted by pats-fan-in-md[/QUOTE]

I was sure that was the plan... to let them score fast to have over a minute in the clock for brady & co.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Coolguy55220. Show Coolguy55220's posts

wow i feel like getting a punching bag, and naming it Tony Maz, and putting his weasel like face on it and punching it till my knuckles bleed... lol 
    he is so damn annoying on the radio. He should stick with baseball because he brings nothing to the table as a football analyst. 
    My problems with bill last nite had nothing to do with going for it on the 4th. My problem on that series was the draw play on 1st down... I knew it was coming, and i guess so did the colts. I wish they would have just set up the power run and rammed it down their throats... and 3rd and 2... if they knew they might go for it on 4th. Please set up the power run and run the ball, or even sneak brady, i'd b confident they'd pick up the 1st down. Had no problem with 4th and 2, like i said... maybe a better play though. Something in the middle of the field would have worked.
    Honestly, i dont think going for it on 4th and 2 was a diss to the defense. It was a CHALLENGE to the offense and it failed. This has been the 4th game that i can count where the pats offense has had the chance to put the game away by getting a first down, and they have failed. This offense needs to get the first down when it counts the most. What is bill known for... SITUATIONAL FOOTBALL. That was prime example of situational football. Put the fn game away... 2 tries to get 2 yards... Not to mention, peyton manning was on the other side. It was a good decision, it was horrible execution. This offense has been horrible during the end of games, not counting the buffalo game. They couldnt get 1st down against denver, and they scored and beat us... Same thing against baltimore, but clayton dropped a first down, and we got lucky..
    Luckily in my opinion, last nite's game will not have a huge impact. I think we are still in the position to grab the 2nd bye, and even with the win last nite, it was going to require going perfect the rest of the way and asking the colts to lose 1 game to have last night's game matter in the overall picture.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

The pundits have lost all perspective. They should be thanking Bill for making sure they all have jobs today. Bill going for that fourth down made this a game that will be talked about for twenty years, an all time classic. 

I LOVED the call. The percentages support the decision. What I didn't like: two squandered timeouts that would have been incredibly useful. And: if you don't get convert the fourth down, once Peyton converts that pass to Wayne on the 12 yard line, at that point, you have to follow through on your plan and just let the Colts score. Then you have 65 seconds to get a field goal. The tackle at the one yard line really hurt us, that allowed the Colts to run the clock out. I won't get started on the bad pass interference call - what we need to do is improve our red zone efficiency in general.

"Bb is getting crucified on every Sports show across the country for that decision"

Yeah, by a bunch a yahoos who have never won a Super Bowl in their lives. 

In any successful life you have to take some unpopular stands. That's being a man not a message board mouse.

Here's the real perspective which everyone seems to have lost: Pats are still in control of the division, unlike last year. Their playoff fate is in their hands. Most importantly, Tom Brady is clearly back from an injury that could have kept him from every being the same quarterback. in the big picture that's way more important. 

Yes, this loss hurt. It does not dictate the season unless the Pats allow it to. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFantasyBaron. Show TheFantasyBaron's posts

In Response to We've Got Your Back, Bill:
    [QUOTE]    

Thanks for that post Tex. I too was upset about the loss but saw so much positive that I've come to accept the loss today and am looking forward to the Jets Sunday. 

I think BB can't be on the on the field in the fouth quarters and the Pats D has been having trouble since the championship years finishing games. BB can't block Mathis and Freeney from blowing up the line and crushing the pocket. He can't make injured players available so that there are substitutions available when dead guys need a breather.  He can't make a tremendous first half offense a tremendous second half offense. He can't make players not fumble in the endzone.

BB put together a great game plan and they should have won. I hope we get another crack at them in January.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigPapi61. Show BigPapi61's posts

If the Patriots had made the first down, I still believe that to be the wrong call. I am happy however that my Patriots have a coach with big enough balls to even attempt it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Adam13. Show 4Adam13's posts

Texas,

Great post bro. I couldn't agree more.

Great call BB.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gulo. Show Gulo's posts

DOES IT MATTER?
    BELICHICK IS ANGRY NOW... YOU REMEMBER WHAT HAPPENED LAST TIME HE WAS ANGRY?  SPYGATE, BRADY RALLIED THE TROOPS AND EXPLODED FOR THE GREATEST OFFENSIVE ATTACK THE NFL HAS EVER SEEN.  I THINK FROM HERE ON OUT THESE PATS ARE GONNA BE SO SICK, SO UNCONTROLLABLE, THAT TEAMS WILL TREMBLE TO CROSS PATHS WITH THEM

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

TexasPat and ALL:

~Just wanna say well-played TexasPat... and I concur.  Belichick plays the game I WANT The Team I root for to play, Gusty and balls-out.  There was a thread on here with a Link I originally saw posted on ESPN.com with Joe Pa as the editorialist...He expressed and showed HOW the greater percentage Was with Belichick making that 4th down conversion (even IF the ball is in the Pats territory), THAN IF BB Punted, allowing Manning to get the ball back, drive down the field and attempt to score... 

Now Take into consideration the unspoken emotional aspects of the game, Like having Brady and an excellent go-to receiving core, Having a young secondary against Manning, Refs prone to phantom long-ball PI calls against defenders these days, AND The Colts Offense having ALL the emotional momentum of having scored multiple times in the second half, AND IF It wasn't a Great, Intellectual Call on BB's part, at least it was a Good Gutsy call... 

See BB might take a heady, intellecual approach to personell and game-planning before games, BUT He takes FIRE onto the field of play...ANYone who has been even a somewhat short, let alone long-time Fan of Patriot Nation remembers the "wuss" play-calling and coaching formula years of Carroll and the many, many prior to him.  In the end-Yea, I'll take a Coach who marries an unemotionally miltant-preparation to his Team off the field WITH a firery, "Now Go KILL 'em ALL and Play to Win or DIE tryin'" Attitude and Approach when He and His Men Take that field of Battle...I'll Keep Bill Belichick as MY Coach thank you...  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SmokingJoe. Show SmokingJoe's posts

Tex, I agree with your Post.

Last Night, while I was watching the game, actually I was hoping that BB would go for it on 4th down.  I figured if the colts got the ball again they would score.  Their previous two drives, they scored under two minutes.  With the 2 minute warning, a final time out, and 4 downs to score, the odds were very good for the colts scoring.

On the other hand, the odds of making the 4th down play were very good.  It didn't work out for us last night, but honestly, I would make the exact same call in the exact same situation. 9 times out of 10 we make the 1st down and the game is all but done.  It sure loojed to me that we made th 1st down, but we know by now that we will not get ANY close call in Polian's House.

BB is a great coach and quite frankly has more guts than most of the coaches in the league.  He played the odds, which were in his favour and lost.  With a hall of fame QB, and a great offense, that was the call to make.  I would much rather have a coach with guts than the conservative play calling of 95% of the other coaches.

NOW... the big question....

How does BB and the PATS respond?  I think the more the media and company diss BB, the more motivated he will be to destroy the opposition for the balance of the schedule.  While 1st seed is out of the question, 2nd seed is still very much a possibility.  The PATS lost to the best team in the AFC on a last second, TD, in a game that they dominated for 55 minutes.....  The future is still VERY much positive and I am sure BB, Brady and company will be more motivated than ever. 

Mark My words, the PATS will run the table! 

This painful loss will serve them well, in the repeat AFC Championship Game in Indy!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Tex, I agree with your Post. Last Night, while I was watching the game, actually I was hoping that BB would go for it on 4th down.  I figured if the colts got the ball again they would score.  Their previous two drives, they scored under two minutes.  With the 2 minute warning, a final time out, and 4 downs to score, the odds were very good for the colts scoring. On the other hand, the odds of making the 4th down play were very good.  It didn't work out for us last night, but honestly, I would make the exact same call in the exact same situation. 9 times out of 10 we make the 1st down and the game is all but done.  It sure loojed to me that we made th 1st down, but we know by now that we will not get ANY close call in Polian's House. BB is a great coach and quite frankly has more guts than most of the coaches in the league.  He played the odds, which were in his favour and lost.  With a hall of fame QB, and a great offense, that was the call to make.  I would much rather have a coach with guts than the conservative play calling of 95% of the other coaches. NOW... the big question.... How does BB and the PATS respond?  I think the more the media and company diss BB, the more motivated he will be to destroy the opposition for the balance of the schedule.  While 1st seed is out of the question, 2nd seed is still very much a possibility.  The PATS lost to the best team in the AFC on a last second, TD, in a game that they dominated for 55 minutes.....  The future is still VERY much positive and I am sure BB, Brady and company will be more motivated than ever.  Mark My words, the PATS will run the table!  This painful loss will serve them well, in the repeat AFC Championship Game in Indy!
    Posted by SmokingJoe[/QUOTE]

This was a very damaging loss for the Pats, in terms of playoff seeding. They probably can't afford another if they hope to get a bye. That means that they'll have to handle the Jets this week, and then take care of the undefeated Saints (who are better than the Colts) in New Orleans, and the always tough Dolphins, when playing in Miami. The Pats are still looking for their first win on the road this season (London doesn't count, since the game was played at a neutral cite).

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SmokingJoe. Show SmokingJoe's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: We've Got Your Back, Bill :      This was a very damaging loss for the Pats, in terms of playoff seeding. They probably can't afford another if they hope to get a bye. That means that they'll have to handle the Jets this week, and then take care of the undefeated Saints (who are better than the Colts) in New Orleans, and the always tough Dolphins, when playing in Miami. The Pats are still looking for their first win on the road this season (London doesn't count, since the game was played at a neutral cite).
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

Agree TEX, 1st seed is done, BUT, this was the best the Offence Played all year, and the Saints are the ONLY team that can match up with the Colts fire power.  Let's just hope there is no hangover this week and we come out strong and dominant against the Jets. 

I am still VERY excited that Tom Brady is FINALLY in his groove.  The reason the Offense fizzled in the waning moments was the play calling, not Tom Brady.  One thing though, that I miss soo much, is Clock Killin Dillon!  We need Taylor/ Morris  back for the stretch run.  Either of those guys play last night and it's a cake walk......

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from amused1014. Show amused1014's posts

The facts as BB saw them

It seems to me the deal is this...this game mirrored the 2007 championship game, The Pats jump out early, the Colts mount a furious rally, in the end all the Pats need are first downs and the game is theirs...and just like 2007, they didn't get the first downs...Manning marched the Colts to two touchdowns in what seemed like no time at all...the Pats have the ball and need 2 yards to cement the game...coach's choice...give the ball back to Manning with plenty of time and a defense that was exhausted and on their heels...or get 2 yards...I think it was a great call...why?...because BB remembered 2007 and knew his best chance was to NOT give the ball back

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Its' still a long season. Tons of things could happen between now and January to affect the status of each contending team. Based on what I saw in Indy, Pats' fans have reason for optimism.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trink5. Show Trink5's posts

TP: I agree with 99% of your post. And "In Bill" I still trust. But it's okay to second guess. I think he made a mistake. A potentially huge one. Let's see how the team responds. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

I would have punted the ball.

Of course, I would never be in a position to make that decision, so what I would have done doesn't matter. I should think Belichick has earned the right to be wrong occasionally. Hell, if they call a play designed to gain three yards instead of two, he's still a genius (assuming Brady executes).

In any case, the blather has gone on long enough, as far as I'm concerned. All of this goes away when the Pats win the division and secure the rematch.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with crushing Green New Jersey Sunday.

Sections
Shortcuts