What a headache for Colts!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYPat. Show NYPat's posts

What a headache for Colts!

The Manning thing is gotten so convoluted. Even if they end up paying him huge money – I don’t see a happy ending to this whole drama.
    Colts' Irsay: New rules may limit Manning's deal

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: What a headache for Colts!

They are in big trouble.

In order to give Manning the money he wants they are going to have to make some serious room since they are already over the cap. They are basically going to have to destroy a fair chunk of their team to resign Manning.

However, if they don't resign Manning their fan base will kill them and they have no QB in the pipe to take over for Manning.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Why are they phonies?

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

The most amusing thing is in every interview he's given recently, Irsay somehow mentions Brady. Always to the degree of "Don't worry, my ego will make sure Manning makes more than Brady." HAHAH! Fail. As if that will magically compensate for Manning not showing up in the playoffs.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In Response to Re: What a headache for Colts!:
    [QUOTE]The better questions are: 1. Why does Irsay speak to the press about Manning's deal? 2. Why isn't Manning signed like Brady? 3. Why is he prefacing Manning's supposed deal by saying "the new cap limits our contract" parameters. Pretty funny watching you squirm here, Undies.  You mouthed off about some Micheal Silver article with a big load of speculation on your part, and very quietly Kraft, BB and Floyd Reese whipped a deal making Brady the highest paid player. I thought the Pats didn't pay? Well, maybe it's the Colts? You and the Irsays are phonies.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

Nice non-answer Wimpy. 

And way to regurgitate what I've already just said which is:  Irsay shouldn't be talking to the press.  Irsay should have made an offseason offer as he promised.  Irsay has backed himself into a corner. 

As for squirming, I really am not.  This deal will get done, and I am willing to bet you a case of your Sam Adams for a case of my Bells. 

The difference between, the Manning and Brady situation is that Brady took his case public while we have yet to hear a peep from Manning.  That probably grates at you endlessly. 

The question is still out there though - Why is Manning a phony?  You said it.  Explain it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]The most amusing thing is in every interview he's given recently, Irsay somehow mentions Brady. Always to the degree of "Don't worry, my ego will make sure Manning makes more than Brady." HAHAH! Fail. As if that will magically compensate for Manning not showing up in the playoffs.
    Posted by apdynasty23[/QUOTE]
    Manning not showing up in the playoffs - LOL.  I thought you were talking about Brady for a minute. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Brady took his case public? Or did the media take his case public for him just to stir up some controversy in New England? I think it's the latter. When does Brady take anything public?

Brady took a lesser deal before the lockout so the team can have a better grip on their financial situation when the new cap is put in place. He signed the deal, shut up about it, and guess what? Now, the Patriots don't have to worry about extending the best player in franchise history whereas the Colts management is backtracking every day on their empty words of 'making Manning the highest paid player ever.'

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]Exactly. They are so insecure with their defense of the Manning vs Brady debate, this is another example of it. They're so arrogant. "Well, regardless of what they pay Brady, we'll pay Manning more." Well, we're waiting!

Give it time red head.  It took Brady 3 months from the time he went public to get his deal.  The ability to negotiate just opened yesterday.  They've got some time to figure this thing out.  

Talk about insecure.  Sheesh. 

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Ah - so you are willing to accept reports that quote sources when it fits your argument, but not when it doesn't. 

Got it. 

Listen, if you don't think Brady was behind the article that pushed for a deal, then why was a deal done at all?  The pats like the colts initially said that the lack of a CBA complicated things.  If there wasn't pressure exerted by Brady's camp, then 1) why wasn't there a denial of such from Brady?  2) why wasn't there a denial of such from Kraft? 3) why did Brady give his only exclusive print interview to the writer of this drivel?  4) why did a deal get done?

I've got news for you red head.  Its ok to not accept a report (although the report may still be true) when nothing subsequently results from it or when denials regarding the report are made, but when the subsequent indicators point to the report being correct and when there are no denials, you can bet your sweet bottom that the report was true. 

Or - like you always do where the pats negative press is concerned - you can bury your head in the provincetown sand so as to act like it never happened.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

I seem to recall hearing that an offer WAS made to Peyton before the lockout, an offer which would have made him the highest paid player in the NFL....and he shot it down.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

An offer was made to Manning 6 games into the the season, to which Manning said he did not want to be distracted.  The talks resumed at the end of the season and before the lockout with no resolution. 

I am of the opinion that the NFLPA and his agent asked Manning to not sign a deal so that he could be a leverage chip in the negotiations.  He did attend a couple of meetings and was named in the suit. 

Had the colts worked the deal prior to the 2010 season, as they said they would at the prior SB, this might not have been an issue. 

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

If we're going to  be rehashing this Michael Silver nonsense yet again, let me just say that it is not (and shouldn't be) incumbent upon players, coaches, general managers, owners or the freakin' water boy to confirm or deny every wild speculation that the blogosphere invents. 

Who remembers the scene in Blue Chips where Nick Nolter "asserts" that a beat reporter sleeps with sheep?

Underdogg(gggg) has chosen to believe that Silver and Brady are best buds and that Brady "leaked" the "story" because that perspective buttresses the position underdogg(gggg) wants to take. Other people look at it as speculative fodder designed to do nothing more than fill column inches and spark debate. Ultimately, the genesis of the "story" doesn't matter, but I'm not sure how comfortable I would be banging down the doors of the Star Chamber with "he never said it wasn't true" as my only defense.

Whatever the case, none of that is going to unravel the widening gyre surrounding Manning, P., and the Indy Colts.

As it stands for the upcoming season, Manning accounts for some 16% (roughly) of the team's cap space. That's one sixth of all the money going to one of 53 guys (It's actually a little more than that, but I'm not doing the math). Granted, the franchise is nothing without him -- I suspect even Colts fan would admit this -- but wasting Peyton's twilight years on a team that has necessarily been decimated because (a) the team president ran his mouth and (b) the player in question is driven primarily by the long green . . .   would be a shame.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

pmike - not surprised by your response.  You've been on this specific journalism soap box since I've been on the board - that writers should have to name their sources (I think that's your issue).  Unfortunately, that does not seem to be the world in which we live.

And ultimately, the genesis of the "story" does matter because it states whether or not Brady and his posse used Silver to pressure the pats into working on a contract that they publicly said was complicated by the lack of a CBA.  Especially for those here who wish to villify Manning for saying "nothing". 

all of that said, I do agree that how this resolves itself will be interesting.  Condon will press for every last cent.  Will Manning be smart enough to say - give me 19 mill per and lets call it a day.  You've appropriately stated the situation - Manning can take all he can and be left with little in the way of support for his final years or he can dial it back a bit and try to cement his legacy with more support. 

I think the colts have been very good to Manning over his career, and he has rewarded the team handsomely as well.  Hopefully, he see value in taking no more than 20 per yr.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What a headache for Colts! : Liar. I said the Irsays are phonies.  Not Gomer. Gomer has said nothinig publicly in the press. I go by what I read and reality. The reality is, Brady quietly got his deal done and the press were ALL OVER HIM all last summer, even AFTER they announced the deal was in its final stages in camp. Face it, Manning and the Irsays have been let off the hook with regards to how the media coddles your team. So true. Even this casual coverage of what appears to be a serious neck injury has been quiet from the media. "Oh, Gomer will be just fine". Yeah, right. If that was Brady, the media would have blown out it all out of proportion for months on end.
    Which Irsays are phony?  I suppose you are talking about Jim, but I don't know who else you are speaking of.  And why are they phonies?  You keep making the statement but provide nothing else. 

How have Manning and Irsay been let off the hook?  They haven't put any fodder in the media (until yesterday) to cause it.  Now the media has blown up about Manning's contract, like it did when Brady had Silver write his story. 

The media was all over the Manning neck story.  Every outlet wrote something.  You and TP are so blind its amazing.  they just wrote again that Manning said his neck is improving. 

I swear, you and TP treat any scratch of negative pats press as if were a stab through the heart, while saying that no one else gets the same treatment. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]Brady took his case public? Or did the media take his case public for him just to stir up some controversy in New England? I think it's the latter. When does Brady take anything public? Brady took a lesser deal before the lockout so the team can have a better grip on their financial situation when the new cap is put in place. He signed the deal, shut up about it, and guess what? Now, the Patriots don't have to worry about extending the best player in franchise history whereas the Colts management is backtracking every day on their empty words of 'making Manning the highest paid player ever.'
    Posted by apdynasty23[/QUOTE]
    ap - I think you are splitting hairs.  Did Brady and his camp give silver a story? imo, yes.  That's no different than Brady doing it himself. 

As for a lesser deal - So taking the biggest annual contract in league history is taking a lesser deal? 

Finally, I'll agree that Irsay is making himself look like a fool right now. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]So, if that's the case, which is possibly true based on the fact Brady's deal first, why is that not being reported/speculated on by ESPN? Is it because it would ol Gomie look selfish? Hmmm. "6 0ffers" is distracting? hand it to your agent and tell him to look it over. This is Manning for crying out loud. Why is he rejecting 6 offers? Care to answer that? We know why Logie rejected his 2 offers.  I'd say you have your big yap in a quite a little pickle here. Why is he rejecting the offers, if he'll be paid more thand Brady?  Hmm? I feel like Tom Cruise's character in A Few Good Men, and your Jack Nicholson about to be badly exposed here. "Why the two orders"?
    What????????   6 offers?  What are you talking about? 

An offer was made 6 games into the season.  Man, you are so patriot dense it even affects your reading.  Manning said at the time that he didn't want to be distracted. 

Look - before you go off on how the media treats the pats vs. every other team, maybe you should do a little more reading  (you've demonstrated that its difficult for you, but I insist).  I know all of this information from national media reports that apparently you don't read.