Notice: All Boston.com forums will be retired as of May 31st, 2016 and will not be archived. Thank you for your participation in this community, and we hope you continue to enjoy other content at Boston.com.

What a headache for Colts!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYPat. Show NYPat's posts

What a headache for Colts!

The Manning thing is gotten so convoluted. Even if they end up paying him huge money – I don’t see a happy ending to this whole drama.
    Colts' Irsay: New rules may limit Manning's deal

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: What a headache for Colts!

They are in big trouble.

In order to give Manning the money he wants they are going to have to make some serious room since they are already over the cap. They are basically going to have to destroy a fair chunk of their team to resign Manning.

However, if they don't resign Manning their fan base will kill them and they have no QB in the pipe to take over for Manning.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

The most amusing thing is in every interview he's given recently, Irsay somehow mentions Brady. Always to the degree of "Don't worry, my ego will make sure Manning makes more than Brady." HAHAH! Fail. As if that will magically compensate for Manning not showing up in the playoffs.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Brady took his case public? Or did the media take his case public for him just to stir up some controversy in New England? I think it's the latter. When does Brady take anything public?

Brady took a lesser deal before the lockout so the team can have a better grip on their financial situation when the new cap is put in place. He signed the deal, shut up about it, and guess what? Now, the Patriots don't have to worry about extending the best player in franchise history whereas the Colts management is backtracking every day on their empty words of 'making Manning the highest paid player ever.'

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

I seem to recall hearing that an offer WAS made to Peyton before the lockout, an offer which would have made him the highest paid player in the NFL....and he shot it down.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

If we're going to  be rehashing this Michael Silver nonsense yet again, let me just say that it is not (and shouldn't be) incumbent upon players, coaches, general managers, owners or the freakin' water boy to confirm or deny every wild speculation that the blogosphere invents. 

Who remembers the scene in Blue Chips where Nick Nolter "asserts" that a beat reporter sleeps with sheep?

Underdogg(gggg) has chosen to believe that Silver and Brady are best buds and that Brady "leaked" the "story" because that perspective buttresses the position underdogg(gggg) wants to take. Other people look at it as speculative fodder designed to do nothing more than fill column inches and spark debate. Ultimately, the genesis of the "story" doesn't matter, but I'm not sure how comfortable I would be banging down the doors of the Star Chamber with "he never said it wasn't true" as my only defense.

Whatever the case, none of that is going to unravel the widening gyre surrounding Manning, P., and the Indy Colts.

As it stands for the upcoming season, Manning accounts for some 16% (roughly) of the team's cap space. That's one sixth of all the money going to one of 53 guys (It's actually a little more than that, but I'm not doing the math). Granted, the franchise is nothing without him -- I suspect even Colts fan would admit this -- but wasting Peyton's twilight years on a team that has necessarily been decimated because (a) the team president ran his mouth and (b) the player in question is driven primarily by the long green . . .   would be a shame.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts