What a headache for Colts!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Re: What a headache for Colts!

The Dog(gggg) is grasping at straws...LOL!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

To get a couple of things straight.  The Colts are over cap by a few million partly because Manning's Franchise tender is 23 million.  So they can afford to sign him if he takes less than that but that's about it because they still have to sign rookies, UDFA, and probably some of their own free agents.

This quote by Irsay almost certainly means Manning will not take 20million or less.
    “I’ve offered to make him the highest paid player.  We know when we look at our team, we need people to surround him to have a chance to win a Super Bowl.  With the cap actually going down this year, [Tom] Brady’s contract is something that would be reduced so-to-speak.  There’s only so much you can pay one player.  Whatever the number is, $20 million, you’re topping off there.  Then it becomes very difficult to be competitive and to field a team.”

(BTW- this is a quote from the Colts owner, not unsourced speculation from a reporter.)

Brady is at 18 million so he said he would make him the highest paid player (And I think he's telling the truth), and apparently 19 and 20 mil haven't been good enough or the deal would be done.  So you have to think he must be asking for more.

Brady had a year left on his Contract when he signed so it's not exactly mind blowing that last year they had not been heavily discussing his contract prior the training camp even starting.  Also Michael Silver didn't even claim to have a source, let alone refuse to name one.

This happenned in 2004 and the Colts had to Jettison some vets to clear cap room.  He didn't seem to care then.

He admitted to negotiating his last contract for the months prior to him signing on March 2nd 2004.  Which obviously is in football season so I do not believe for a minute that he didn't want to discuss it during the season.  That's what agents are for anyways.

It's not like the Colts make an offer and then he looks it over.  Before it goes on paper contracts are discussed.  Nobody is going to make an offer just to have it turned down.  Logically, no official offer was made this year because neither could come to an agreement on terms.  It would be foolish to think they haven't been discussing it for at least a year and a half. 

I don't know what you're talking about about not signing a contract to help the NFLPA.  I can see how he might do that to help himself try to get free agency by trying to get something in the CBA.  But Manning being franchised or not does not provide any sort of leverage in a negotiation.  Except to make Irsay, who is an owner not want to give up the franchise tag.  But that doesnt' help players at all. 

Lastly, I'm sure this gets done eventually because he will lose more in commercials if he lets his image take a hit, and Irsay has put the pressure on making him look like a bad guy if he gets more than 20mil.  Either that or it pi$$es him off.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In Response to Re: What a headache for Colts!:
    [QUOTE]LOL, Brady even signs his contract better than Manning. Losers. The reason why the media hates your team is that you stole signals from taping practice sessions before a super bowl. Why doesnt anyone ever bring that up here? Your coach was fined 500k, and the nfl destroyed the tapes. Oh I forgot, you do everything perfect there. Typical Boston fans talking crap with no facts. We're such a weak sports market, LOL, Colts,Pacers, NCAA headquarters, small school (butler makes it to the championship game twice back to back, enrollment 4200. Hosted several final fours, Big ten championship alternated with Chicago every other year. The biggest auto race in the world (Indy 500) Formula ONE Racing, (U.S. Grand Prix), The second biggest Nascar Race in the country next to the Daytona 500(Brickyard 400) and finally the biggest of them all the freaking SUPER BOWL. Real weak sports market. I know some wuss is going to come along and erase this instead of commenting. Typical Boston, no guts. P.S. Cindy Brady's wife is the bread winner in their family anyway. He spends all his money taking care of his baby mamas. So let it be known, I despise the cheatriots more than any other professional team, as far as I'm concerned, your coach is a monotone dousche, your qb is a justin bieber rip off, your stadium isn't even in Boston, and your fans cry, maybe with the exception of the jets, worse than any city in the country. Who has the balls to comment. I have to wipe off the stinch on my screen from even being on this paper's website.
    Posted by ColtsMan73[/QUOTE]
    1. We can't erase your post, only moderators can and they heven't seemed to mind UD6 (Colts fan) being on here for years.

2.  Hosting the SB... Wow.  Makes you almost as big a Arizona I guess. 

3.  "As far as your concerned" the stadium is not in Boston.  Your figured it out, it isn't.  FYI, they are not the Boston Patriots.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]LOL, Brady even signs his contract better than Manning. Losers. The reason why the media hates your team is that you stole signals from taping practice sessions before a super bowl. Why doesnt anyone ever bring that up here? Your coach was fined 500k, and the nfl destroyed the tapes. Oh I forgot, you do everything perfect there. Typical Boston fans talking crap with no facts. We're such a weak sports market, LOL, Colts,Pacers, NCAA headquarters, small school (butler makes it to the championship game twice back to back, enrollment 4200. Hosted several final fours, Big ten championship alternated with Chicago every other year. The biggest auto race in the world (Indy 500) Formula ONE Racing, (U.S. Grand Prix), The second biggest Nascar Race in the country next to the Daytona 500(Brickyard 400) and finally the biggest of them all the freaking SUPER BOWL. Real weak sports market. I know some wuss is going to come along and erase this instead of commenting. Typical Boston, no guts. P.S. Cindy Brady's wife is the bread winner in their family anyway. He spends all his money taking care of his baby mamas. So let it be known, I despise the cheatriots more than any other professional team, as far as I'm concerned, your coach is a monotone dousche, your qb is a justin bieber rip off, your stadium isn't even in Boston, and your fans cry, maybe with the exception of the jets, worse than any city in the country. Who has the balls to comment. I have to wipe off the stinch on my screen from even being on this paper's website.
    Posted by ColtsMan73[/QUOTE]

Well, well, well...if it isn't my good friend, Horsecolt18, a/k/a Coltsman73!! How are you, my friend?

Who has "the balls" to comment?? Well...I'm glad to see that you haven't lost your sense of humor, my friend!

LOL!!!  

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Shen - directly from the growing disconnect article: 

However, wanting something to happen and making it so financially are two different animals, and some people close to Brady feel the organization isn’t displaying much urgency toward ensuring the latter.

Further - I don't know where you got the information that the colts had to "jettison" players to accomodate Manning's contract. 

Here's an excerpt from Len Pasquerelli about Manning's 04 contract. 

Manning's new contract, however, should permit the Colts to conduct business as usual and to make qualifying offers to their restricted free agents before the deadline. It is believed that, when Manning signs the contract, his salary cap charge for '04 will now be more than halved.

as to not wanting to finalize a contract during the season.  Its one thing to have the agent negotiate things.  Its another thing for a contract to be delivered and then for Manning to have to bless.  As you know, the last contract was consumated in March.  Not during the season. 

Finally, Manning was a bargaining chip for the NFLPA, as was Brady and Brees, etc.  In the last strike/lockout, the owners got to the top qb's before the union which the union, it felt, weakened its position.  Manning not having a contract, at least puts pressure on one team - the colts - and any chink in the ownership armour is worth having from the NFLPA perspective. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Your mistake?  You do nothing but make mistakes. 

And as for answer your question, which one?  The one about turning down 6 OFFERS that he didn't have?  Why would I answer a question based on a false assumption? 

If your wondering why he turned down the offer in the middle of the season, he said that he didn't want to be distracted.  Geez, Russ.  I've only written this a dozen times.  I know that you read my p... whoops... that's right your head is too deep in belichick's a-- to really read anything.  Your forgiven.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Russ, this is why you are never taken seriously.  YOU JUST DON"T GET IT. 

1.  We've been talking about when contracts were done.  Brady was in a boot this year, well after his contract was done.  Not last year. 

2.  Brady is not really the one being followed.  The rest of the world could care less about Tom Brady.  They care about his wife, dum bass.  Pictures taken of him are just collateral damage.  The paparazzi are around to photograph his wife.  Man you are dumb.  

3.  As for last year's coverage of contracts - 1.  Brady's coverage was not that big of a deal.  It was a firestorm for about a week, then again when he reported to camp.  It never would have been anything if he and his people hadn't placed the story with Silver.  The reason that there was nothing about Manning is because he never made an issue about it.  That said, there's still been plenty written - last year, during the season, after the season, and now.  See how the firestorm just kicked up because Irsay made a statement.  No different than the brady article.  The problem is you can't see clearly.  You assume everything negative about the pats is a HUGE story when actually it gets no more coverage than anything else.  That said, I admit that the pats are in a large market with a coach that some writers would like to needle.  Saw it with bob knight here.  But where Brady's concerned, its not substantially more than Manning. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Backpedal? 

Heck Russ, you can't even tell me why you think the Irsays (which ones) are phonies. 

As for why a contract isn't done, obviously there are questions about how much more than brady manning will be paid.  As I said already, dense one, Brady's contract took 3 months to work out.  The negotiating period just opened again yesterday.  Have some freaking patience. 

And, proving once again, that you don't read, I've already admitted, in response to pmike, that Manning's situation is interesting.  With the limited cap, Manning decides between money or players.  That said, Manning proved with his last contract that taking a max deal didn't hurt the team.  they won a sb and went to another.  On the other hand, Brady took a discount and the pats won nothing.  Wonder why Brady didn't take a discount this time.  that's why.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

No, they care about HE and his wife. The guy gets the girl.

You are so stupid.  You will never get it.  Ever. 

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

[QUOTE]Shen - directly from the growing disconnect article:  However, wanting something to happen and making it so financially are two different animals, and some people close to Brady feel the organization isn’t displaying much urgency toward ensuring the latter.

My bad, he did claim to have a source.  Who had a "feeling", concrete stuff, great journalism.  His entire premise was based off not something said or done but from a feeling someone not involved in negotiations had.  Maybe you were the source.

Further - I don't know where you got the information that the colts had to "jettison" players to accomodate Manning's contract.  Here's an excerpt from Len Pasquerelli about Manning's 04 contract.  Manning's new contract, however, should permit the Colts to conduct business as usual and to make qualifying offers to their restricted free agents before the deadline. It is believed that, when Manning signs the contract, his salary cap charge for '04 will now be more than halved. as to not wanting to finalize a contract during the season. 

Umm....same article- keep reading.

"The deal gives Indianapolis much-needed salary cap relief. Since all teams had to be in compliance with the NFL's $80.6 million salary cap by Tuesday's 4 ET deadline, the Colts -- saddled by Manning's record cap charge -- scrambled to renegotiate the contracts of at least a half-dozen veterans. Five veterans also were released outright."

Or here http://www.stampedeblue.com/2011/2/21/2005435/why-the-colts-might-be-releasing-more-players-soon

"On Feb. 23, 2004, the Colts decided to place the tag on Manning. Five days later on Feb. 28, 2004, the Colts released five players to free up nearly $15 million in cap space. Among those five players were veteran defensive end Chad Bratzke, cornerback www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/2087/walt-harris" class="sbn-auto-link">Walt Harris and offensive tackle www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/2945/adam-meadows" class="sbn-auto-link">Adam Meadows. While none of the three players were considered elite, they all played key roles at key positions for the team and were let go. Just four days later on March 3, 2004, the Colts agreed with Manning on his 7-year, $98 million deal"

Or just google it.

Its one thing to have the agent negotiate things.  Its another thing for a contract to be delivered and then for Manning to have to bless.  As you know, the last contract was consumated in March.  Not during the season. 

Still makes no sense, he admittedly negotiated during the season, he could have signed this March when the season was over.  They didn't agree because he wants more than they will give.  Irsay says 20mil max so he wants more than that.  The reason this is not resolved isn't because he hasn't had the time.  That's just absurd.  There has been plenty of non football time between the end of the season and the lockout, or the season before.

Finally, Manning was a bargaining chip for the NFLPA, as was Brady and Brees, etc.  In the last strike/lockout, the owners got to the top qb's before the union which the union, it felt, weakened its position.  Manning not having a contract, at least puts pressure on one team - the colts - and any chink in the ownership armour is worth having from the NFLPA perspective. 

This makes no sense still, explain how Manning not having a Contract helps the players case.  Brady had a contract and he was on the suit also.  It doesn't put the players in a better bargaining position.  There is no chink in ownership from this situation.  The contract situation was unresolved, and there was CBA negotiations, two unrelated issues.

Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Red head - I've answered your question(s) and then some, but to be specific - I'll do it to appease you.  Please make sure to read the answers for understanding before reacting as you normally do.  Thank you. 

ANSWER THE QUESTION:

Why does Irsay say he'll be paid more than Brady, and then turn around, and in the same statement, also say it will be hard to do so?
    Because it's fairly clear that Irsay spoke too soon when he made his Manning will be the highest paid comment over a year ago and then failed to not only get a deal done but even make in offer in the offseason as he promised. 

Now things are complicated because in order to stand by his words, he may have to sacrifice the success of the colts.  Thus, he is now publicly appealing to Manning to cut him some slack.  Unfortunately, condon's never been that type of an agent.

Which is it?
    I am sure Irsay will hope that Manning will cut him some slack. 

Why say "he'll be paid more than Brady" at all?
    Its a valid question.  I think he did it without thinking during superbowl week 2010.  Although, irresponsible, I give him credit for not backing down from it, until now. 

"Why was it necessary to transfer him off the base.
    Should your sentence end with a question mark?  Do you really want me to answer this?

Why the two orders?
    Again, must I answer?
    "Colonel"?
    Again?

Redhead, I hope you feel appeased. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from gln826. Show gln826's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What a headache for Colts! : ap - I think you are splitting hairs.  Did Brady and his camp give silver a story? imo, yes.  That's no different than Brady doing it himself.  As for a lesser deal - So taking the biggest annual contract in league history is taking a lesser deal?  Finally, I'll agree that Irsay is making himself look like a fool right now. 
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

Well, it looks like you both are dancing around each others questions......BUT, you use YOUR OPINION to back up one of your conclusions?  Come on now!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Shen - but the deal was that the tag was what caused the salary cap issue, just as it is now - not manning's actual contract.  The contract allowed the tag to be rescinded. 

As noted - and you wrote.  Manning's contract actually provided cap relief that allowed other players to be signed.  

As for the not negotiating during the season.  All I can tell you is that manning publicly said he didn't want to deal with it.  I don't know if he "dealt" with it in 04 or if all of the dealings during that time were between agent and team.  I don't know if an offer was made during the season, like it was last season.  I realize that this may be splitting hairs, but then again it may not be.  It may also be that Manning had made a decision that without a contract in the offseason that he would wait until the offseason and become a leverage piece for the union if it came to that.

I am willing to accept that you don't see it my way.  Its clear that Pats fans prefer to trash the colts and manning at every possible opportunity while you see colts fans doing the same to the pats. 

I would not be surprised if Condon is pushing for a 25 mill payday.  Maybe Irsay's public comments are a way of communicating with Manning if he's not had direct contact with him.  Now that the CBA is done and there is a known cap, maybe this is Irsay way of making sure that Manning himself understands the situation if Condon is not providing it.  I don't care for Irsay's methods, but maybe he felt its what he needed to do. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Who cares about what happened with Brady. The bottom line is, he signed. But, judging from the words of Jim Irsay, there's a growing discoonect between Peyton and the Colts...wouldn't you say, Dog(gggg)??

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

What a Manning lover!! The Dog(gggg) will even throw Jim Irsay under the bus to protect his hero.

How pathetic...LOL!!!

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from sam0377. Show sam0377's posts

What i like is that BB anticipated the mess and got the deal done, and Colts didnt. You can speculate whatever you want but NE doesnt have that distraction. + Mankins agreed to sign the tender. 

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts