Re: What a way to waste Brady's talent

In response to anonymis' comment:

Prima Donna Brady needs to step off his pedestal

Hate to say it but I agree!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

In response to scubber's comment:

Look at the replay again, the defender was on the right ready to defend a cut to the right, all Dobson had to do is stop and turnaround.  It was a zone coverage and I think the receiver was supposed to find a hole or open space between all the defenders.  It was most likely an easy touchdown for Welker or any experienced receiver/TE running an option route.

Watch the replay again, after he cut right he had ten feet of open field to the sideline or Brady could have lofted it to the corner pylon and made him go get it.  Not making excuses for Dobson, it would be better he learn the offense, but sometimes you have to work with what you're given.

As I was watching that play end, I was wondering if the play called for Dobson to go right and Brady was expecting a "sight adjustment" to break off the route and sit in the area where he threw the ball. If that was the case, maybe he (Brady) shouldn't expect a rookie, who is just trying to get the route right in his first NFL game, to see that and react like a 5th year pro. As it was Dobson flashed in front of the defender and was 2 yards past him when the ball hit the ground.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

In response to rtuinila's comment:

Look at the replay again, the defender was on the right ready to defend a cut to the right, all Dobson had to do is stop and turnaround.  It was a zone coverage and I think the receiver was supposed to find a hole or open space between all the defenders.  It was most likely an easy touchdown for Welker or any experienced receiver/TE running an option route.

Watch the replay again, after he cut right he had ten feet of open field to the sideline or Brady could have lofted it to the corner pylon and made him go get it.  Not making excuses for Dobson, it would be better he learn the offense, but sometimes you have to work with what you're given.

As I was watching that play end, I was wondering if the play called for Dobson to go right and Brady was expecting a "sight adjustment" to break off the route and sit in the area where he threw the ball. If that was the case, maybe he (Brady) shouldn't expect a rookie, who is just trying to get the route right in his first NFL game, to see that and react like a 5th year pro. As it was Dobson flashed in front of the defender and was 2 yards past him when the ball hit the ground.

It's called an option route.  And generally, if the receiver defender is on your right shoulder you go left and reverse if he is on your left shoulder, not that hard to understand if it was such a play.  In this case, the defender gave a couple of yards cushion on his right shoulder before Dobson kept running that way.  Shame on Brady for not throwing corner endzone timing pass!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

If that was the case, maybe he (Brady) shouldn't expect a rookie, who is just trying to get the route right in his first NFL game, to see that and react like a 5th year pro. As it was Dobson flashed in front of the defender and was 2 yards past him when the ball hit the ground.

This^

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to stan17's comment:

Well he hasn't looked all that great himself tonight.

Do you know what a timing rout is ?  If Brady expects a player to be a certain spot or stop in a certain area or turn to look at the play or break etc.... yes Brady will be the one that looks bad most of the time when a receiver doesn't do what he supposed to do. 

Ask yourself this,  why was it on some crucial downs , everyone one knew Edelman was going to get the ball and even triple teamed Brady pin pointed the ball to his gut ? Because a guy like Edelman gets it , he might not be the best slot or wide receiver but he does what's asked of him.

But I can see you're pro - management from yesterdays game thread. I was also a few years back , now I'm very disappointed.  Mainly this year .  You can fail to improve the team in the areas needed 1year, 2years but right now it's too much same ol' same ol'.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

If that was the case, maybe he (Brady) shouldn't expect a rookie, who is just trying to get the route right in his first NFL game, to see that and react like a 5th year pro. As it was Dobson flashed in front of the defender and was 2 yards past him when the ball hit the ground.

This^

2 yards past?  I guess facts do not matter, the ball actually hit Dobson on his legs.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In response to Brady2Moss07's comment:

I always try too stay positive, but how can BB put these kinds of weapons around Brady? You have one of the best qb's of all time and,you sign a injury prone wr, let Wes go, and fail to bring in adequate replacements. 

I have a feeling years from now writers and fans will look back and think what a waste. Grr.

i hope they get it together over time?

I call BS!  This board is constantly giving Belichick the thumbs up for drafting/personnel prowess.  That cannot suddenly be challenged. 

The quarterback has a hand in this.  If he has expectations of his new, young receivers then he has to drill that into them constantly while being patient with them when they make mistakes. 

Brady's legacy is not solely reliant on his physical and mental capabilities as a QB.  He's also got to make the receivers successful. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

I heard on TV - don't know if it was last night or this morning - that Brady was not mad at Dobson but at Edelman.  He expected Edelman to sit on that route while Edelman went to his left.  If Edelman sat, the ball would have been right on his left side, low, and away from Edelman's defender. 

Don't know how the commentator knew it was Edelman Brady was mad at, but that was his comment. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

2 yards past?  I guess facts do not matter, the ball actually hit Dobson on his legs.

I was under the impression Brady threw it into the dirt because the play, in his mind, was broken.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:

In response to stan17's comment:

Well he hasn't looked all that great himself tonight.

Do you know what a timing rout is ?  If Brady expects a player to be a certain spot or stop in a certain area or turn to look at the play or break etc.... yes Brady will be the one that looks bad most of the time when a receiver doesn't do what he supposed to do. 

Ask yourself this,  why was it on some crucial downs , everyone one knew Edelman was going to get the ball and even triple teamed Brady pin pointed the ball to his gut ? Because a guy like Edelman gets it , he might not be the best slot or wide receiver but he does what's asked of him.

But I can see you're pro - management from yesterdays game thread. I was also a few years back , now I'm very disappointed.  Mainly this year .  You can fail to improve the team in the areas needed 1year, 2years but right now it's too much same ol' same ol'.

Exactly. That is the key. If you are claiming Brady is making the rookies look bad .... your next step is to explain why he is locked in with Edelman.

Why is Brady locked in and 'accurate' with Edleman ... but then all of a sudden he makes 'bad decisions' with kids who haven't done their homework?

Here is the answer ... the kids aren't running most of their routes correctly. 

It's embarrassing .... even for rookies .... how unprepared those kids looked last night. Shame on them ... shame on the coaching staff. 

Not shame on Tom Brady or the offensive line. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

I was under the impression Brady threw it into the dirt because the play, in his mind, was broken.

I see, let's make things up and see what stick.  I thought you said he had time, so why would that be in his mind that the play was broken at that moment?  Either Brady screwed up, Dobson was doing his job perfectly.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I see, let's make things up and see what stick.  I thought you said he had time, so why would that be in his mind that the play was broken at that moment?  Either Brady screwed up, Dobson was doing his job perfectly.

I never said Dobson wasn't wrong, I suggested Brady could have attempted to make something out of nothing because he had no pressure to throw the ball.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

I think the title of the thread is way off. If anything they are trying to maximize TB's last 5 years.

When TB announced he wanted to play until 40 and the Pat's gave him the extension I believe they decided that they needed to get younger at the reciever positon.

They thought they were all set at TE as gronk and the other guy who I won't name were signed through 2017.

They then traded out Welker for a younger Amendola again locking up talented slot reciever for the length of Brady's contract. Let's hope he can stay on the field.

In the draft they addressed the rest of the rest of the recieving group with Dobson and Boyce and may have hit on UDFA Thompkins.

Watching last night it seems to me that Dobson and Thompkins have the talent it is about getting comfortable in the offense. We shall have to see about Boyce when and if he gets reps.

Being at the game you can see the pass plays develop and it seems that it is just a matter of the recievers understanding when to sit down on a pattern or continue a route past a linebacker or break off a route on the sideline.

For me with the improvemnet in the secondary and the upside of the young recievers  and the return of gronk and DA and Edelman as a legitimate option I for one am optimistic for this year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from profootball. Show profootball's posts

I always try too stay positive, but how can BB put these kinds of weapons around Brady? You have one of the best qb's of all time and,you sign a injury prone wr, let Wes go, and fail to bring in adequate replacements. 

I have a feeling years from now writers and fans will look back and think what a waste. Grr.

Well said.  They need to bring in a good quality vet wide receiver to help out Tom.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

I totally agree with you MoreRings.  Give the young guys time and reps to adapt to a very complex offense.

Because that worked for Chad Jackson.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to anonymis' comment:

Prima Donna Brady needs to step off his pedestal

Hate to say it but I agree!

Expecting his "team mates" to play well, too, means Brady places himself on a pedestal?  Come on!  Pats are possibly 0-2 without him!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

A real positive was that the Jets knew many times that Brady was going to Edelman and still couldn't stop him. Did the frequent Brady to Edelman remind you of Brady's same reliance on Wes Welker? Gronk & Amendola returning are going to make them a very effective receiving core. A poster said to contact Randy Moss...hmmm??? Maybe more than a joke !!!

Running game & pass rush were weak but at the end Brady played the clock exceptionally well.

Weather was not conducive to effective passing but Jets receivers too dropped quite a few fortuantely for us.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

many Pats fans have become accustomed to a Picasso every time they take the field. 

Most don't expect a Picasso every time, but are alarmed when they see the doodlings of Hannibal Lecter.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Sxxt happens....

Who could have known that's Gronks arm would linger into 4 surgeries...or that Welker would talk himself out of town....or that Hernandez was a football player by day and a serial killer at night...

By the time all these issues played out there wasn't much out there to restock with. We gotta tough it out.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

I always thought that his most special talent - the talent that won the Pats all those SBs - was his ability to get everyone - even "untalented nobodies" - involved. That was the big difference back then between TB QBing and Bledsoe QBing. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to pezz4pats' comment:

This team is 0-2 right now against any other teams.

Rude awakening!

Thank You BB!

One 3rd down dropped pass by Stevie Johnson and one dropped TD pass last night from going 0-2. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

In response to pezz4pats' comment:

This team is 0-2 right now against any other teams.

Rude awakening!

Thank You BB!

Or one less fumble returned by Ridley and one less goal line fumble by Brady in the first game, and one slightly better pass to Thompkins just before the half in the 2nd game (would have made the score 20-3 at the half), and neither of these games is even close. Thats the difference between games looking like easy wins, and the battles they have been in. Help is on the way in Gronk, Amendola, Sudfeld and Vareen. Edelmann looks like he finally gets what it takes. The offense has nowhere to go but up.

One 3rd down dropped pass by Stevie Johnson and one dropped TD pass last night from going 0-2. 

Or one less fumble returned by Ridley and one less goal line fumble by Brady in the first game, and one slightly better pass to Thompkins just before the half in the 2nd game (would have made the score 20-3 at the half), and neither of these games is even close. Thats the difference between games looking like easy wins, and the battles they have been in.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

But they aren't 0-2 are they?  The Patriots left a lot of plays on the field in both games as well so this argument isn't particulary convincing.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

Sxxt happens....

Who could have known that's Gronks arm would linger into 4 surgeries...or that Welker would talk himself out of town....or that Hernandez was a football player by day and a serial killer at night...

By the time all these issues played out there wasn't much out there to restock with. We gotta tough it out.

I think the Welker stare-down is the one that people are going to be questioning. If Welker were here now, regardless of what Amendola does later, it would be a lot smoother. 

I dont doubt Amendola's talent at all. But the injury question has always been there. Welker has been incredibly durable. If Amendola misses an extended amount of time, then the questions will be out there. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

In response to MoreRings' comment:

The Pats are 2-0, both division wins and have 10 days to prepare for the Bucs.  How can you ask for much more?  Stop whining,  long way to go.

Actually regardless of who is out there many Pats fans have become accustomed to a Picasso every time they take the field.  Realistic?  Of course not but that's what this thread is all about - unrealistic expectations. 

I totally agree with you MoreRings.  Give the young guys time and reps to adapt to a very complex offense.

Yup, we should see improvement this next week after watching game film.  It seems like people expect these young receivers to be Jerry Rice by game 2.  Its just not realistic.

Sections
Shortcuts