what about a fine for the facemask

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rusco. Show rusco's posts

what about a fine for the facemask

when the ravens scored on that touchdown throw, why was there never a facemask call?http://www.washingtonpost.com/rf/image_606w/2010-2019/WashingtonPost/2012/01/22/Sports/Images/APTOPIX_AFC_Championship_Football_0c33a.jpg

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Capt092. Show Capt092's posts

Re: what about a fine for the facemask

The following Monday's Baltimore newspaper had a large picture of the defender being dragges into the endzone by the ravens. His hands were fully clodes inside the facemask. I cannot believe it wasn't called...I also cannot believe that no sportscaster or player has ever even mentioned it. Am I missing something here? 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DonHa. Show DonHa's posts

It wasn't mentioned because it was done to the Patriots.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3868031. Show user_3868031's posts

In Response to what about a fine for the facemask:
    [QUOTE]when the ravens scored on that touchdown throw, why was there never a facemask call?
    Posted by rusco[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3868031. Show user_3868031's posts

In Response to Re: what about a fine for the facemask:
    [QUOTE]It wasn't mentioned because it was done to the Patriots.
    Posted by DonHa[/QUOTE]
    Any you tube of this available?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauldeba. Show pauldeba's posts

[QUOTE]The following Monday's Baltimore newspaper had a large picture of the defender being dragges into the endzone by the ravens. His hands were fully clodes inside the facemask. I cannot believe it wasn't called...I also cannot believe that no sportscaster or player has ever even mentioned it. Am I missing something here? 
    Posted by Capt092[/QUOTE]

Most of us didn't even notice it until the 5th or 6th time and then prompted to look at it, everyone was looing at the guy's feet.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

wheres the pictures??   raven gate...  didnt we win??

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

In Response to what about a fine for the facemask:
    [QUOTE]when the ravens scored on that touchdown throw, why was there never a facemask call?
    Posted by rusco[/QUOTE]
    Believe the official's eyes were engaged on the receivers feet near the chalk line. If he possessed a chameleon's stereoscopic eyes, then maybe he sees the contact. Always looking at things objectively, missed or bad calls occur throughout the games. I'm sure someone could bring up calls that went the Pats' way. Part of the game. 'To err is human'.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]wheres the pictures??   raven gate...  didnt we win??
    Posted by jcour382[/QUOTE]

And this is why it's not a big deal to anyone else, because we won

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

When was the last time you saw an offensive player get called for a facemask? It only gets called if an o-lineman blocks a defender in the face.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]When was the last time you saw an offensive player get called for a facemask? It only gets called if an o-lineman blocks a defender in the face.
    Posted by CaptainZdeno33[/QUOTE]

Ray Rice was fined during the season for a stiffarm turned facemask. Not sure if it was called during the game.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from elav666. Show elav666's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: what about a fine for the facemask : Most of us didn't even notice it until the 5th or 6th time and then prompted to look at it, everyone was looing at the guy's feet.
    Posted by pauldeba[/QUOTE]

I noticed it on the first reply itself.  It is very clear that the whole hand is inside the facemask.  Facemask penalty should be equal irrespective of defence or offence player.  Why it is not called, because the victim is a patriot.....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]Why does it take almost a week for the NFL to follow their own rules and  precedents for punishments?
    Posted by RidingWithTheKingII[/QUOTE]

To make us think they are reviewing it with a microscope. But when Pollard took out Brady's knee, they issued a statement that day saying it was legal. 

Maybe Monday is Angry Birds day and Tuesday is Call of Duty day with Wednesday being a day for WoW. Thursday though, it's business time.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]It's just so disingenous.  Also, the hypocrisy of the knee hits and the facemasks couldn't be more similar. Who cares who is doing what? If the idea is to protect the player, what does it matter what side of the ball theh violation is happening on? Also, they'd protect OL from the dangerous chop block stuff but only recently have they tried to prtoect QB's from the knee hits, AFTER Brady went down, which ironically had no penalty on it, as you mention. There's just no consistentcy to any rule of Goodell's. Finally, if BB seriously skipped a post game interview or press conference, there'd be a million dollar fine and 1st rd draft pick as punishment. And it would be discussed ad nauseum by the morons at ESPN. It's so disingenuous.

Yep - and they would somehow tie it to Mangin-a. 

Note: mangin-a is a bad BDC word now. Hilarious.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: what about a fine for the facemask : Yep - and they would somehow tie it to Mangin-a.  Note: mangin-a is a bad BDC word now. Hilarious.
    Posted by EnochRoot[/QUOTE]

moderators read the word to 3rd graders, if they giggle then it is banned.

The NFL won't fine becasue they do not want to admit they gave the Ravens a TD .

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

[QUOTE]When was the last time you saw an offensive player get called for a facemask? It only gets called if an o-lineman blocks a defender in the face.
    Posted by CaptainZdeno33[/QUOTE]

I saw it within the previous two seasons, but yeah, it is rare.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

[QUOTE]It's just so disingenous.  Also, the hypocrisy of the knee hits and the facemasks couldn't be more similar. Who cares who is doing what? If the idea is to protect the player, what does it matter what side of the ball theh violation is happening on? Also, they'd protect OL from the dangerous chop block stuff but only recently have they tried to prtoect QB's from the knee hits, AFTER Brady went down, which ironically had no penalty on it, as you mention. There's just no consistentcy to any rule of Goodell's. Finally, if BB seriously skipped a post game interview or press conference, there'd be a million dollar fine and 1st rd draft pick as punishment. And it would be discussed ad nauseum by the morons at ESPN. It's so disingenuous.

What two things really ticked me about that Pollard hit to Brady's knee, first that the rule existed as a result of the dirty hit to Palmer's knee years before, yet was not called for Brady, though for other QBs previously (and against the Pats, too); second, that after the league said it would start calling it as a penalty and issue fines (after Brady's injury), the Talking Shrunken Heads started calling it, "The Brady Rule."

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: what about a fine for the facemask : What two things really ticked me about that Pollard hit to Brady's knee, first that the rule existed as a result of the dirty hit to Palmer's knee years before, yet was not called for Brady, though for other QBs previously (and against the Pats, too); second, that after the league said it would start calling it as a penalty and issue fines (after Brady's injury), the Talking Shrunken Heads started calling it, "The Brady Rule."
    Posted by chrisakawoody[/QUOTE]

Yes, they added it to the rulebook after Palmer got taken out in the 2005 playoffs so it was around since the 2006 season. I even have a copy of the rulebook from 2006 that has the exact wording that all the articles from 2008 point to as being "new".

And one thing that bugs me beyond the stuff you mentioned, the fans who use the term "The Brady Rule" they got from the talking heads to somehow use it to justify Brady being a wuss. He didn't change the rule, nor did he complain publicly about the hit and never publicly lobbied for greater QB protections yet a lot of foolish people seem to think because ESPN incorrectly named the "new" rule after him , that he is responsible for it writing it and printing the rule book. Personally, with all the injuries this guy plays through, I think he is one tough SOB.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I wasn't so much bothered by the lack of a flag on the play in question -- it's not like you can go back and throw the flag after you see the replay -- the officials simply blew the call and the Pats (and their fans) have to live with that. Hell, I don't even really care that there's a double standard between offense and defense. I no more understand why it's okay for a ball-carrier to stiff-arm to the face than I do that they can lead with their heads while defenders cannot . . .   it's just more of the ever-encroaching Idiocracy. But this particular play was as blatant a flouting of the rule -- nominally implemented to promote player "safety" (or so I've heard) as I've ever seen, and that there hasn't been an uproar over this is demonstrable proof of what most people who do not frequent this board would chuckle at as raving consipiracy theory.

I thought a fine for that play would be almost immediate, along with a lengthy admonition from the commissioner's office about good ol' player safety. That there was not, and that the commensurate pundit hew and cry hasn't really materialized would appear to support the very thing people like Rusty (and his ilk) point out all the time.

It's not paranoia if "they" really are out to get you.

Wink

25. This post has been removed.