What about the "Steeler Way"??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Re: What about the "Steeler Way"??

Always respected the Rooneys and the Steelers organization. The plan gets altered when old age and free agency catch up with them. Problem is that won't be any time soon. They will franchise Woodley and keep all the key players on their team.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

I disagree. If Brady doesn't get a cheap shot in 2008, rolls into the SB at 14-2 with an old, but veteran D and possibly wins it.

Are you still saying this if Pitt loses the SB (which is very possible considering GB's quality in coaching, QB, balance on offense and their D/Special Teams)?

Americans sure love to make knee jerk statements and reactions.  Some of you are clearly not over SB 42's loss.

The top 5 organizations:

1. NE
    2. Pitt
    3. Indy
    4. NYG
    5. Philly

The results are NE has 4 SB appearances in the last 10 with 3 rings.  Pitt has 3 SB appearances and 2 rings.

I just argued the results not to mention NE will have more stability moving forward.

I'll admit I was wrong when I thought Pitt would lose their edge this year, but maybe I was just off by a year.

Remember what happens to the losing team in the SB the next season.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from itsjustagame1. Show itsjustagame1's posts

Can't speak for other Patriot fans, but I've always respected and liked watching the Steelers too (and the "old" 49ers).

If Roethlisberger and the Steelers win the SB this year, one could argue that they were the NFL team of the past decade.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

That makes no sense. This is a new decade.  Are you sure you aren't a troll?  Ben Roethlisberger has the worst QB rating of any QB in  SB history in January of 2006.   It was 43.

Good QB who battles, but like everything in Pittsburghland, he's overrated. 

I heard someone compare him to Manning and Brady. lol

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

I'm making a note of the fans who are now promoting the Steelers all of a sudden.

Just make sure you are here in a couple of weeks.    If Pitt loses, this all sounds really dumb, doesn't it?

Look at Ben's numbers yesterday? If NY was a better team with a better QB, he and Pitt lose that game.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 3SB-rings. Show 3SB-rings's posts

Screw the numbers (like Peyton's) it's the rings anyway you can get them. (rapists, murderers, spys)
    Do you really care if Brady has a pizz poor game but gets the team in position for another lucky FG to pull it out?  HELL NO...you won!!!! That's all that mattered. Ben's a winner, congrats to him...now I hope he loses to Green Bay.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman2. Show Patsman2's posts

In Response to Re: What about the "Steeler Way"??:
    [QUOTE]That makes no sense. This is a new decade.  Are you sure you aren't a troll?  Ben Roethlisberger has the worst QB rating of any QB in  SB history in January of 2006.   It was 43. Good QB who battles, but like everything in Pittsburghland, he's overrated.  I heard someone compare him to Manning and Brady. lol
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

Oh I love it.  A classic Rusty post.  When the comparison is about Manning vs. Brady its THROW OUT THE STATS ITS ALL ABOUT WINNING!!!!!

Now when someone mentions that if Ben wins he will have as many rings as Brady its NOT all about winning.  Rusty starts throwing out stats like ben ONLY had a 36% completion ratio against Seattle  blah blah blah.  All of a sudden stats matter not winning!!!!!

Poor rusty your such a homer you can't say anything good about any player or team not in NE.

Thank you Rusty for giving me my laugh for the day.  Oh and welcome back after you were off saving the world from communism or feeding starving kids in Africa.  I'm sure your absence since the Pats loss (and re-appearance only after the Jets loss) was just a coincidence.  Not like you were not man enough to face the music like the rest of us.   

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

In Response to What about the "Steeler Way"??:
    [QUOTE]All we hear about and talk about in this parts is this almost MYTHical (and I'm using the word MYTH strongly, "Patriot Way" of doing things. Well, what about the "Steeler Way"?? Do we discount the fact that all this organization does is WIN?? They do it with toughness, solid drafting, RUNNING, defense ,GOOD OC and DC's and...finally THEY SPEND MONEY! The Pats have one of the lowest total payrolls in the NFL. Second I believe to Arizona. The Steelers have one of the highest. I mean, is BB writing the checks himself?? We need talent. MORE than what we have now. I agree with drafting it more than FA's but for cryin out loud it takes money to make money so to speak. Is there a crime in drafting high and actually PAYING the picks. We done enough with the volume/value approach. It's time to maximize and plug holes and throw some cash around. The Steelers to me right now are the Gold Standard organization..not the Pats. You can't argue the results.
    Posted by smorgan86[/QUOTE]

BS.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Hi Phat Rex!  Can't come here and eat crow under your Jets name?  Why is that, fatboy?

Does Ben Rapelisturd have 3 rings? Does he have league MVPs or what about the greatest regular season in NFL history?

lol! 

Facts hurt people like Phatty Rex/Patsman 2.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I can't argue with the OP even if he is a registered troll. Pitt has been one of the best drafting teams in the game. The team is predicated on two of 3 most important aspects of the game. Running the ball and smash mouth defense. Gotta respect that.

With that said no team has won more games then the NE Patriots the past decade so Smorgan or whatever your name is you are obviously still the same hater you have been for the past year.

I would say the Patriot way is working out just fine.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

You can't discredit that but neither can you discredit the Patriots success. As good as the Steelers have been since 2005 they still have 2 losing seasons in that time. The Patriots have not had a losing season since 2001, nor have they really been close barring the injury ridden 2002 season.

I agree with your top 3 teams of the decade as most would but I believe the Patriots brass has given us the most consistent shot at winning year in and year out. Teams just don't go 11-5 without the reigning league mvp, or 14-2 in a re-building year.

As much as I wish we had landed better players in the draft from 06-8 I would say we have been doing something right.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from cbdam. Show cbdam's posts

[QUOTE]All we hear about and talk about in this parts is this almost MYTHical (and I'm using the word MYTH strongly, "Patriot Way" of doing things. Well, what about the "Steeler Way"?? Do we discount the fact that all this organization does is WIN?? They do it with toughness, solid drafting, RUNNING, defense ,GOOD OC and DC's and...finally THEY SPEND MONEY! The Pats have one of the lowest total payrolls in the NFL. Second I believe to Arizona. The Steelers have one of the highest. I mean, is BB writing the checks himself?? We need talent. MORE than what we have now. I agree with drafting it more than FA's but for cryin out loud it takes money to make money so to speak. Is there a crime in drafting high and actually PAYING the picks. We done enough with the volume/value approach. It's time to maximize and plug holes and throw some cash around. The Steelers to me right now are the Gold Standard organization..not the Pats. You can't argue the results.

hey smorgan,
     i agreed with everything you said. all of it. i share all those sentiments with you.
    posted as much (except steelers as gold standard) on the thread: 

Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15***

see below:

Bill BELICHICK, PAY ATTENTION. THESE ARE SOME MOVES YOU SERIOUSLY NEED TO CONSIDER:
    1. fire billy o'brian. he hasn't a clue how to manage a game offensively. wake up bill and realize it. either let brady call his own plays (god he should know by now what call to make) or get a real offensive coordinator who is actually good.

2. Trade Merriweather and our early #1 to carolina and get fairly, dareous or whoever you think will be a beast on the d line (if they don't bite, get the highest you can to snag one of these guys).

3. trade our # 28 and guyton or tully banta or whoever is expendable and has value(or include a later pick or next year pick if you have to) and see if you can get up to the mid teens and get either the best offensive linemen or the best outside linebacker who is also a sack machine.

** others may have outlined strategies nabbing several offensive lineman without trading up,
    but i want a top tier impact player at these 3 positions, however we can do that.

***Of course, if you can get a stud at these three positions via F.A. even better

4. with # 33 get get whichever of the 2 above you didnt take (outside linebacker or offensive lineman).

5. forget trading down or worrying about stockpiling for 2012.
        eventually you have to go for it or all your players including brady will continue to pass their window of opportunity. the jets beat you in a lot of ways and one was going for the best players however you can get them f.a., draft etc while you go for quantity. neither are bad, unless you take to the extreme. (no i wouldn't mind trading 1 pick or 1 early and a late round into 2012, but jeez, come on! Enough mediocrity).

6. obviously, if you can, later in the draft or f.a,. pick up the necessary free safety, wide receiver, cornerback, running back etc that you need.

7. to me it's either get the stud players you need now or trade whatever it takes to get the #1 pick next year to get andrew luck and buiold for 3-5 years down the line(obviously a gamble-if you trade now, you dont know for sure who's pick it will be; if you wait till it's decided next year, it may take the farm to trade for the pick). obviously i don't advocate for this strategy, but make a darned decision, go for it now or later. enough of this halfway mediocre nonsense.

8. obviously you need to keep all your offensive lineman. but the line has to improve. it's good, but not good enough to go against a great d line and hold up through a whole championship campaign.

9. to review: billy is gone (replaced by a real coordinator or brady calls his offensive plays), get stud(the best) d lineman, o lineman and outside linebacker studs. fill in the rest of the cracks. no more excuses. you are better than that. get what you need and get 1 or 2 championships.

(later i also question belichick's insecurity re: his not hiring competent coaches)

thanks for everyone's post
    out

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourjays30. Show fourjays30's posts

[QUOTE]Can't speak for other Patriot fans, but I've always respected and liked watching the Steelers too (and the "old" 49ers). If Roethlisberger and the Steelers win the SB this year, one could argue that they were the NFL team of the past decade.
    Posted by itsjustagame1[/QUOTE]

Not sure when the decade starts or ends or does it just mean whatever 10 year period one wants to talk about. The thing with the steelers is they have been pretty inconsistant. One year they win it all the next year they don't even make the playoffs. This has happen pretty regular of late and with that kind of performance I would not call them the team of the decade.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from cbdam. Show cbdam's posts

to the people trashing smorgan's post.
         hey you are not thinking or talking about his main points. 
    they are really good points. try re-reading it. further everything we do is not terrible. we are doing some things right. but if our organization changed it's perspective in a few areas, we might have already had another 1 or 2 super bowls, and have a shot at more than we will if we don't learn from our experiences as a franchise. 
         let's not be so reactionary. share our thoughtful comments about others thoughts.

peace

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]I'm making a note of the fans who are now promoting the Steelers all of a sudden. 
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

I'm making a list and checking it twice
    Gonna find out who's naughty and nice

(Sorry Rusty . . . couldn't help myself)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Oh, I don't care. 

I just think it's sad and funny at the same time that this team has had its rosters, coaching staff, scouting staff, etc, raided every year and because this team lost in a SB, some fans are just not over it.

NOw Pitt all of a sudden has it together more so than the Pats? Sorry, not buying it.  The flavor of the month can only last so long. 

How dumb will this premise read if Pitt loses the SB?

It appears that the same 3 AFC teams are rotating every 2-3 years:

NE, Pitt and Indy.

I don't see this changing very soon.  The 3 best QBs in the AFC are probably right there on these teams, at the end of the day.

And if you peel back the layers here in NE with some nice recent drafting, the 2011 draft and the high level performance that we see almost every single year here, the probablity of a SB appearance or maybe more INCREASES, not decreases.

Last year, Pitt was 8-8, lost Polamalu and Farrior, and then got them back for most of this season and obviously were better off when those two returned.

NE's experience this year will be invaluable in the upcoming seasons.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

I don't see why it is one OR the other.  Both do it the right way.  In past years, Steeler players (Joey Porter, anyone?) talked as much as the Jests do.  So on that account, we have had them beat.  WE did the team introduction thing.  We were the ones winning and NOT talking ¢rap.  NOT the Steelers.  But at this moment, they seem to be taking their place in the big boy circle with us. 

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

What? Sanchez was terrible!  Hilarious. He is nothing without a run game.

They only got a FG in the 1st half and Ike Taylor fell down on the HOlmes TD.

This is what is funny about you and loser fans like yourself. You act like you weren't mouthing off here all year long and when it came time for your golden boy to deliver, he failed again.

His low throws and inaccuracy and leadership at the goal line was atrocious and cost them the game.

Without a run game, he is absolutely useless.

Enjoy! 

The highest of high comedy from our little tool Sanchez fanboy in Phatty Rex.

DONE

The Jets are the definition of choking!  Like Kris Jenkins said: "if we don't win the SB we are going to look like idiots."

You got that right, fat boy!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What about the "Steeler Way"?? : Crow? For what?  The Steelers are an excellent team.  As poorly as the Jets played in the first half, it really only came down to the strip sack at the end of the half.  It wasn't like the entire world was picking hte Jets to win and they choked like NE did.  By the way, how was Sanchez in the cold? That guy really brings his A game in the playoffs, sort of the opposite of TB.
    Posted by PhatRex[/QUOTE]

Look, its RatPhex!  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I have to admit, I've always really liked the Steelers (the current QB excepted). They're probably my second favorite team after the Pats. I think they do a great job year after year.  I like their style of play.  As someone who started watching NFL football in the 1970s when the Steelers were great and the Pats were two steps and a left turn below dog meat, it's sort of nice that people are now debating which of the two organizations is the creme de la creme.  We've come a long way, baby . . .

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts