What about the hit on Edelman?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

What about the hit on Edelman?

I couldn't confirm, but I'm pretty certain from my vantage point in the 3rd row behind the Patriots bench that there was some helmet-to-helmet action on that hit.  How did "skirts" Anderson manage to get his panties in a bunch about Merriweather's hit on Heap and fail to see the hit on Edelman where #11 chose not to act like he was paralyzed in order to sell the penalty despite being unable to return to the game?

And isn't it convenient that hits on Faulk and Welker go unpunished, but now that the Patriots have the defensive athleticism and talent to intimidate other teams it becomes a great time for Anderson to crack down on hits?
    http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4685526/final-thoughts-on-meriweathers-fine

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from passedball. Show passedball's posts

Re: What about the hit on Edelman?

Don't expect even handed punishment by Goodell & crew, it just wont happen.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

i saw Edelman get hit, but no one said anything about it. Is he alright? was the hit clean?

No one said anything about it. figures...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

mike reiss speculated that it was a concussion

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

I hear he may be seriously injured ...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Don't look now, but if the league is serious about trying to legislate "devastating hits" (whatever those are) out of its game, look for more and more receivers pulling the "Paul Pierce." The arbitrary nature of officiating in the NBA has created an entire cottage industry of professional floppers whose main (only) skill is to draw imaginary fouls, and I could easily see this happening in the NFL if the league insists on implementing arbitrary, knee jerk policies of vague description.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

"At least they fined Harrison 75k. I agree with the other posters about the regulation of this becoming a real problem. The NBA is the worst officiated sport in the U.S. It is because almost all foul calls are left up to the interpretation of the ref, or a judgment call. As the NFL gets closer to that style, I think more controversies will arise from it. As bad as the h-h hits were this past weekend there were also a dozen or so not called at all. They need to have a more defined statement on these rules that can take the guess work out of the process. This is not an easy thing to do but for the league to suddenly "re-enforce" an existing rule(again) tells me that they really haven't paid much attention to it in the recent past. Last I checked this was always a violent league. Why not bring this up at the annual meetings? Why so late to the party?"

P Mike, I posted this on a separate thread the other day. Needless to say I agree with you 100%. The league does need to do something though? Unfortunately I think more harm then good will come from this recent reactionary blurb in the near future. The more officials are allowed to use their "judgment" in calling fouls the worse the calls will become.

At the very least I think it is safe to say Brandon Merriweather is in for a real Sh#t storm from the refs the rest of this year. The eye in the sky will be zoomed in on 31...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I didn't see the hit on Edelman but it could have been a retaliation hit by a Raven Thug. It doesn't make a bit of difference Ray Anderson is a jackel he never played down one in the NFL he's just a bureaucrat pretending he knows something other than what he's told about the game. Harrison tells the world he's contemplating retirement,hogwash! I can't believe that Dunta Robinson thinks he didn't lead with his helmet! At least Meriweather owned to his mistake. Oh well someone will pay the piper this week from the Patriots because the NFL holds this team to a higher standard.. Bank on it happening.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

In Response to Re: What about the hit on Edelman?:
    [QUOTE]I didn't see the hit on Edelman but it could have been a retaliation hit by a Raven Thug. It doesn't make a bit of difference Ray Anderson is a jackel he never played down one in the NFL he's just a bureaucrat pretending he knows something other than what he's told about the game. Harrison tells the world he's contemplating retirement,hogwash! I can't believe that Dunta Robinson thinks he didn't lead with his helmet! At least Meriweather owned to his mistake. Oh well someone will pay the piper this week from the Patriots because the NFL holds this team to a higher standard.. Bank on it happening.
    Posted by sportsbozo1[/QUOTE]

I love your bit on Anderson - I don't like people who haven't worn the helmet legislating people who do.  I also don't like subjective calls because "judgment" calls are how the league prevents the Patriots and Steelers down from winning every season (like pass interference).  Now we'll see "malicious hit" calls on top of pass interference, and a very watered down league.

BUT

DUNTA ROBINSON DIDN'T LEAD WITH HIS HEAD - DO YOU NOT SEE HOW HE TUCKED HIS HEAD OFF TO THE LEFT TO AVOID HELMET TO HELMET CONTACT?!?!??!?!?!  THAT'S JUST AS OUTRAGEOUS AS WHEN CHUNG WAS FINED FOR A HELMET TO HELMET HIT ON CHAD HENNE DURING THE HOME GAME LAST YEAR WHEN IT WAS A TEXTBOOK FORM TACKLE!!!!!!!!!  DUNTA ROBINSON'S HIT WAS BEAUTIFUL.

The only way to avoid "leading with your helmet" is to do a jump spin before each hit and hit a*s*s-first

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

It was Lewis who hit Edelman, and he left his feet (by about 6 inches).  It's one of those plays you have to see on replay to see him leave his feet.  I think it hapened so fast and resulted in Edelman dropping the ball.  I doubt that gets whistled next week either, although the clear cheap shots like Meriweather and Harrisosn will be whistled all day.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]rodney harrison is being very hypocritical when he tells fairyweather not to go down his road. apparently, his connection with tony "christian who pushed his son to commit suicide" dungy is influencing hot rod
    Posted by sirpinochle[/QUOTE]
    Maybe Harrison is actually trying to protect Meriweather from injury.  I've heard that if you hit with your head "down", one risks crushing the vertebrae in your own neck; possibly causing permanent paralysis. There is less "risk" when your head is "up".

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

In Response to What about the hit on Edelman?:
    [QUOTE]I couldn't confirm, but I'm pretty certain from my vantage point in the 3rd row behind the Patriots bench that there was some helmet-to-helmet action on that hit.  How did "skirts" Anderson manage to get his panties in a bunch about Merriweather's hit on Heap and fail to see the hit on Edelman where #11 chose not to act like he was paralyzed in order to sell the penalty despite being unable to return to the game? And isn't it convenient that hits on Faulk and Welker go unpunished, but now that the Patriots have the defensive athleticism and talent to intimidate other teams it becomes a great time for Anderson to crack down on hits? http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4685526/final-thoughts-on-meriweathers-fine
    Posted by Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188[/QUOTE]
    It has to be a conspiracy. It's always a conspiracy. Don't you know?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What about the hit on Edelman?  BUT DUNTA ROBINSON DIDN'T LEAD WITH HIS HEAD - DO YOU NOT SEE HOW HE TUCKED HIS HEAD OFF TO THE LEFT TO AVOID HELMET TO HELMET CONTACT?!?!??!?!?!  THAT'S JUST AS OUTRAGEOUS AS WHEN CHUNG WAS FINED FOR A HELMET TO HELMET HIT ON CHAD HENNE DURING THE HOME GAME LAST YEAR WHEN IT WAS A TEXTBOOK FORM TACKLE!!!!!!!!!  DUNTA ROBINSON'S HIT WAS BEAUTIFUL . The only way to avoid "leading with your helmet" is to do a jump spin before each hit and hit a*s*s-first
    Posted by Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188[/QUOTE]

This is exactly the problem. Robinson was not fined not so much for an illegal hit -- no matter how the league chooses to spin its agenda, his was a textbook shot, entirely within the rules -- he was fined because he simply blew the guy to smithereens. Essentially, what the NFL is asking defenders to do (it seems to me) is to "play nice." We're going to reach a point, sooner or later, where defenses are going to be out on the field in straightjackets while offenses waltz up and down the field, perfecting their touchdown celebrations along the way.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Robinson did lead with the crown, though.  That's where they see a violation.

To be honest, I am not sure why the hitter feels that safe and why the shoulder wouldn't be easier and a slam dunk way to avoid a personal foul call.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Moss07. Show Brady2Moss07's posts

Why would the NFL fine Lewis, he got away w/murder didnt he?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

[QUOTE]Don't look now, but if the league is serious about trying to legislate "devastating hits" (whatever those are) out of its game, look for more and more receivers pulling the "Paul Pierce." The arbitrary nature of officiating in the NBA has created an entire cottage industry of professional floppers whose main (only) skill is to draw imaginary fouls, and I could easily see this happening in the NFL if the league insists on implementing arbitrary, knee jerk policies of vague description.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

Oh MY God!  They're turning the game into soccer. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from USMCM1A1. Show USMCM1A1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What about the hit on Edelman? : Maybe Harrison is actually trying to protect Meriweather from injury.  I've heard that if you hit with your head "down", one risks crushing the vertebrae in your own neck; possibly causing permanent paralysis. There is less "risk" when your head is "up".
    Posted by BubbaInHawaii[/QUOTE]

Absolutely, leading with your helmet, especially in a "head down" position, puts the tackling player at risk for "catastrophic cervicle injury."

"Dr. Fred Mueller, director of the National Center for Catastrophic Sports Injury Research, studies fatal and permanent-disability injuries of high school and college athletes. Mueller, who has been at the UNC-Chapel Hill campus for four decades, is a Woodbridge High School graduate. Mueller, whose research is funded by and collected for the NCAA, said "90 percent" of catastrophic injuries "happen when a player's head is down" while making a tackle." (Rutgers player Eric LeGrande paralyzed: http://www.wtsp.com/news/mostpop/story.aspx?storyid=151543&provider=top).

This is basic youth football stuff.  You tackle by exploding through the ball-carrier's body, chest to chest contact, neck bulled and back, wrapping up and grabbing cloth.  You are not going to get injured if you drive through someone with proper alignment and the impact spread across the body as a system.

Chekc out the "See What You Hit" info poster here: http://blog.stack.com/2010/10/19/avoid-helmet-to-helmet-hits-with-proper-tackling/

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsTxGrl. Show PatsTxGrl's posts

Looks like Edelman was back at practice today. That's a good sign.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stupideeediot. Show Stupideeediot's posts

As for what players 'lead with' it has to do with tryign to tackle the guy.  If you 'lead' with one hsoulder then you  only get aprtial use of your other arm on the tackle and you increase the chance the offensive player can either roll out of the tackle or just side step you.  The best way to bring him down is to go straight at him.

It's really not fair to ask a defensive player to 'lead iwth his hsoulder'.  I mean how often do you see running backs 'leading with their shoulder'?  They specifically put their head down and og straight forward so they can keep their balance and get more leverage out of their legs. 

When was the last time you saw a running back get called for 'leading with his helmet'?  As stated earlier it's a clear case of trying to hinder defensive players and encouraging offensve.  That's why wide receivers can run into defensive backs and get 50 yard pass interference calls... and why quarterbacks can throw the ball into the stands or the ground on half their downs and be 'within the rules'.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stupideeediot. Show Stupideeediot's posts

This by the way is not jsut a NFL theme. Look at MLB ............

In 1968 MLB offensve took a dramatic down turn... pitchers had <2.00 ERAs and almost no one hit .300.   The league responded immediately by lowering the pitching mound for the next season.

In the 1990's and 2000's baseball offense exploded, CG's disappeared as starters started going 6 innings due to more pitches, and viewership of the AllStar game dropped off. 

How did MLB respond this time ? Well they didn't do squat about the offense and pitching issues. ... but they certainly were quick to make a rule change regarding the AllStar game to get people watching again.    More offense/less pitching is not considered a 'problem' by MLB because it attracts viewers.  Same reason defense in the NBA is nonexistent and why NFL games are turning into air shows.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

[QUOTE]Robinson did lead with the crown, though.  That's where they see a violation. To be honest, I am not sure why the hitter feels that safe and why the shoulder wouldn't be easier and a slam dunk way to avoid a personal foul call.
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

Everybody "leads with their head" - it's part of the whole anatomical bit where your head is at the top of your body.  Robinson TUCKED HIS HEAD OFF TO THE SIDE.  I don't see how you can do more than that without stepping aside and saying "good day sir" to the offensive player as he runs for a touchdown.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Steve Young and Bruschi had some good points about this ordeal.  Head to head contact is bad, but if the NFL begins to levy fines and suspensions, defensive players are going start to go at knees far more often. 

Suggs tried it last Sunday and missed.  League needs to look at this stuff, too, if they're going to open this Pandora's Box.   

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from maine12. Show maine12's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5hSWQtfAik

Its a close call take a look

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

[QUOTE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5hSWQtfAik Its a close call take a look
    Posted by maine12[/QUOTE]

He definitely led with the crown of his helmet regardless of whether it was a helmet-to-helmet hit.
    While I don't like the sissification of the NFL in the least, Ray Anderson is a hypocrite or the hit gets downplayed because Edelman didn't pretend to get hit by an unseen sniper.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SShoreLurker. Show SShoreLurker's posts

1. Those who cry about things not being fair are fools. Regardless of Lewis' hit, Merriweather deserved his punishment. END OF STORY.

2. Great point Stupideeediot!  Sports is a business and don't we forget it either.  What makes money will be legal or protected (depending on how it affects scoring)  And if any of you have a problem with that, blame your ADD selves for telling the NFL "We love 42-35 games."  You don't want all those penalties and cry for the purity of the sport back, then stop buying NFL gear or supporting the fantasy football market.  Its actually very simple.  It will never happen of course, because you, the fan, spend $500 a year on paraphanilia and have money invested in those FF leagues.  Funny how that works.. 

Sections
Shortcuts