What about the Hobbs Trade?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

What about the Hobbs Trade?

I am elated that Hobbs is gone.He always played too soft and QBs could pick up an easy 9 yards to start any series. When he finally approached the line he couldn't jam and would get burned deep. In his defense it's gotta be said that the front seven never got any pressure on the QB, so playing corner is not easy when that happens.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dafoe. Show dafoe's posts

Re: What about the Hobbs Trade?

My initial reaction was sheer joy that Hobbs was gone. But now I wonder if it was a wise move depth wise. They basically gave away a the 4th best corner on the team at a position where they are usually injury prone. We'll see.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

Honestly, I never felt comfortable (as a fan) when Hobbs was on the field.  Perhaps, he was one of the reasons why the Pats secondary has been bottom-rated for the past few years?

Hopefully, this new crew can keep many points off the board and complement the offense.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejuice1. Show thejuice1's posts

solid point on the injury front, but thats nothing more than coincidental, as its happened to a number of dbacks over the years, and has happens to every time at one position or another all the time...
    depth wise though... bodden, springs, wilhite, wheatley, and eventually butler too, all have likely or within a year or so, would've surpassed hobbs anyways.
    i think his trade was due mainly to BB obviously thinking we have enough quality and quantity there already, but perhaps even more so just to shed the cap, to either help sign some of these rookies and/or (probably more likely) to help go towards another free agent signing(s) before the season starts...
    and also due to the possibility of hobbs possibly squabbling over not having a contract after this season.
    all in all, imo, one of those moves that fits the old addition by subtraction adage

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

I'm hoping the reason for the Hobbs trade is to sign J.T.   The fact is without a good pass rush, CB's don't mean much with today's NFL.  DB can barely touch WR's nowadays, so teams need to get to the passer, much like the Giants did in 2007 and 2008.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

To give Hobbs his due he was an excellent return-man. Who is going to take over that job? We tried Slater last year and the results, especially in the Sreeler game, were less than stellar.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

I think Hobbs got a pretty raw deal from the fans.  The guy was playing very injured the past two seasons.  He was as much responsible for the SB loss as Buckner was of the WS loss for the Sox, i.e. not much.  Asante blew an easy INT, Seau celebrated prematurely and let down his guard, the O-line was deplorable, Rodney couldn't defend The Pass and, most of all, McDaniels called a terrible game, taking until the 4th to figure out that short passes to the outsides was the way to win, instead of constantly going deep over and over with no success while Brady got creamed over and over.  Hobbs' "flault" ranks below all of the above.

He is a hot returner.  Hot returners are rare and can have huge impacts on the games.   However, being a hot return man seems to undermine a player's work in other positions.  Look at what Hester did when he was just a returner.  Then look at what happened to his returns when Chicago made him a no. 1 reciever.  The NFL's greatest return man ever became a terrible returner and was not much of a WR either.  Tired legs.  I think Hobbs suffered in the same way.  He was still hot at returns, but he couldn't keep up with the WRs playing as CB.  He probably should have been a nickle/returner, but DB injuries would not allow it.

At the same time, I think he was expecting a big payday next year, one above his performance as a CB.  The Pats were wise to trade him this year and get two picks instead of losing him in F/A next year and getting nothing.

I wish Ellis great luck with the Philly and will root for his success up to the point he faces the Pats. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlemaslow. Show seattlemaslow's posts

[QUOTE]I think Hobbs got a pretty raw deal from the fans.  The guy was playing very injured the past two seasons.  He was as much responsible for the SB loss as Buckner was of the WS loss for the Sox, i.e. not much.  Asante blew an easy INT, Seau celebrated prematurely and let down his guard, the O-line was deplorable, Rodney couldn't defend The Pass and, most of all, McDaniels called a terrible game, taking until the 4th to figure out that short passes to the outsides was the way to win, instead of constantly going deep over and over with no success while Brady got creamed over and over.  Hobbs' "flault" ranks below all of the above. He is a hot returner.  Hot returners are rare and can have huge impacts on the games.   However, being a hot return man seems to undermine a player's work in other positions.  Look at what Hester did when he was just a returner.  Then look at what happened to his returns when Chicago made him a no. 1 reciever.  The NFL's greatest return man ever became a terrible returner and was not much of a WR either.  Tired legs.  I think Hobbs suffered in the same way.  He was still hot at returns, but he couldn't keep up with the WRs playing as CB.  He probably should have been a nickle/returner, but DB injuries would not allow it. At the same time, I think he was expecting a big payday next year, one above his performance as a CB.  The Pats were wise to trade him this year and get two picks instead of losing him in F/A next year and getting nothing. I wish Ellis great luck with the Philly and will root for his success up to the point he faces the Pats. 
    Posted by chrisakawoody[/QUOTE]

I agree with the majority of these sentiments, but one thing that always bothered me about Hobbs was that he was just too damn cocky for his abilities. His celebrations and exaggerated sense of self worth probably also factored into his trade.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

i liked certain aspects of hobbs a lot, and i think his competitiveness, which was often taken by the mostly conservative boston sports fans as being cocky, was an asset to our defense. i also liked the fact that he was willing to play hurt, although i think that hurt his play at times over the past two seasons. still i would take a hurt hobbs over a healthy antoine spann any day. but i think in the end he had a growing cap hit and the coaching staff decided that they were going in a new direction. another thing i enjoyed about hobbs was that he was one of the few players to speak openly with the press. but the team surely didn't appreciate that. i think that, along with the new direction of the secondary and his cap hit probably meant he was going to get cut before the season. if you consider that, then getting moderate value in the draft (a raw o-lineman that the team is clearly high on but probably 2 years away) is a good deal.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

He can dance on top of a Bolt, though.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

[QUOTE]He can dance on top of a Bolt, though.
    Posted by pats-fan-2007[/QUOTE]

Dance on this!

New York Giants' Plaxico Burress, left, catches the game-winning touchdown pass in front of New England Patriots' Ellis Hobbs III during the final minute of the Super Bowl XLII football game at University of Phoenix Stadium on Sunday, Feb. 3, 2008 in Glendale, Ariz. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

AND dance some more!
    Kerry McNamara of Boston MA watches a close game in the 4th quarter of the New York Giants vs. New England Patriots game in Super Bowl XLII.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

New York Giants wide receiver Plaxico Burress #17 in the end zone for the touchdown pass in the fourth quarter as New England Patriots Ellis Hobbs #27 can only watch.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

That's a perfect answer, well, (pause for affect) almost perfect. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

Bolt, you can flaunt one play all you like. In truth Burress wasn't even Hobbs man on that play, it was a blown coverage and Hobbs tried to do what he could. And let's not forget that just two weeks earlier Hobbs and company kept your Chargers out of the end zone completely for the AFCCG! Although I would have loved to see Hobbs be signed by the Chargers instead of Philly! That would've ruined your season, Ill bet!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Hobbs was one of teh toughest guy on this team the last 3 years. He played hurt more then anyone else and got sh*t on more then anyone else for his hard work. No wonder he was glad to leave but i doubt the fans in Philly will take it any easier on him then we did so whatever. And dont be mad at Jbolt, heis just mad cause the Pats have stoped his team in the playoffs and not to mention its got to be tough for him sicne his team has NEVER IN HISTORY WON A SUPER BOWL.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yapple. Show Yapple's posts

I thought Hobbs was a good player. Good enough to consider his departure a mistake. However, Bill seems to have a habit of taking advantage of "mistakes".

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

[QUOTE]Dance on this!  
    Posted by jbolted[/QUOTE]

get over it, looser.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

Good riddance to Ellis "toast" Hobbs.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

[QUOTE]Bolt, you can flaunt one play all you like. In truth Burress wasn't even Hobbs man on that play, it was a blown coverage and Hobbs tried to do what he could. And let's not forget that just two weeks earlier Hobbs and company kept your Chargers out of the end zone completely for the AFCCG! Although I would have loved to see Hobbs be signed by the Chargers instead of Philly! That would've ruined your season, Ill bet!!!
    Posted by bubthegrub2[/QUOTE]

Wasn't his man?

Flat out wrong, sorry.

He is isolated on the outside 1 on 1 with PLaxico

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjxlLMqK7bE

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

James Sanders the FS was sopossed to be there Jbolt but he wasnt so Hobbs had to try and cover for him, he was not spossed to be covering Plex on that play it is a well known FACT

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

What the hay are you guys talking about? Of course Burress was Hobbs' man.

Look at the play. That wasn't cover-2 shell, and if it were it would have been Rodney (who was blitzing) who would have had that responsibility.

That was an off man-blitz straight-up with no deep help. Sanders' guy was way on the other side of the field, where Sanders was.

Sanders couldn't physcially cover Burress on that play. There was probably 15-20 yards between them. And if he had, there would have be a man left unguarded on the other side of the field, because he breaks after the TE/WR on the inside who runs a short out to the sideline. That tells you it was man to man coverage.

If you can look at this and tell me that any other man was supposed to be there to help Hobbs then I just don't know what to say.

He got beat. Plax is a really good WR. Hobbs is an average corner at best. Even putting aside the size difference, Plax will win that matchup the vast majority of the time. That is life.

Hobbs even takes a false step inside, or is caught peaking, and then gets turned around when Plax breaks on the corner route. Eli sees that matchup from the get go, and lobs the ball before any bltiz could have gotten him because he knows that even if Hobbs stays on Plax and doesn't bite on the PA, he still has an excellent chance that Plax out-jumps him in the endzone considering Plax has like 8 or 9 inches on the kid.

Maybe if Hobbs were bigger they could have tried Jamming Plax, but he isn't and that would have probably resulted in the same thing, TD NY.

Hobbs was not the worst corner in the league, and I am not a huge fan of Sanders' production, but please. There is no way you can pin that one on Sanders and be even remotely honest. At all. In any way.

We are all looking at the same play.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

Well, I've heard it explained the other way, but you're right. It doesn't really matter. I don't dislike Hobbs, but I agree he is not the guy you want covering Burress. I do think Hobbs got a bad rap a lot where it wasn't really his fault. But that in no way lessens my point. Two weeks prior Phillip Rivers could not take advantage of Hobbs (or anyone else) and toss a TD pass. That and the silly dance from two years ago is what's eating JBolt. I have no problem with letting him go, he would have wanted too much next year, anyway. They also have a lot of replacements in the secondary. They got something for him, plus opened up a little cap space. Good move, IMO. Let's just hope one of the new guys can cover WRs like Burress. They'll be seeing TO twice a year now. As much as I hate that prima donna, you can't deny he's a top 10 WR in the league. I'm hoping Butler and Chung can earn some playing time by the end of the season. Hobbs was expendable, although I don't believe he was as bad as a lot of people made him out to be. But looking at your picture, it's obvious there was no safety help on that side. My bad!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Hobbs does stink. I'm glad he's gone. BB agreed by trading him for a bag o' balls.

On the other hand, the Chargers and their cry-baby players will never amount to anything.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]That's a perfect answer, well, (pause for affect) almost perfect. 
    Posted by jbolted[/QUOTE]

Just for kicks, could you please post some pictures from a Chargers SB appearance within the past 20 years?

Sections
Shortcuts