What about the Hobbs Trade?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ritchie-az. Show Ritchie-az's posts

Re: What about the Hobbs Trade?

Hobbs is an ok starting CB. You really don't want him to be your best corner (as he was for NE last year), but as a team's second-best corner, he's in the middle of that pack. This year, with Springs, Bodden, Wheatley, Wilhite and Butler all competing with each other, Hobbs might have ended up forth or fifth on the depth chart.
    It's best for him that he got traded, and best for NE, as they cut some cap space and opened up more opportunities for the young players.
    Still, I think the Patriots might just miss his kickoff return skills.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

It's just my guess but I think BB is starting to get tired of midget DB's,Hobbs was listed at 5'8" but it had to be the smallest 5'8" in the history of the game,Butler and the kid McClinton from Kentucky are right around 6' I know 4 inches don't sound like much but they can be huge when you are talking about defending against recievers who are 6'5",because instead of giving just a 5" advantage you wind up giving an 9" advantage.almost a foot extra to work with for QB's who can put a ball on a dime,small DB's are probably a thing of the past in Foxboro..

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

Just for kicks, could you please post some pictures from a Chargers SB appearance within the past 20 years?            

Any pictures he may have had he threw in the fire right after the game! He probably doesn't have the file space on his PC for all the highlights from that game! Wasn't that the one where Steve Young threw a new record for TDs in a SB? No, Bolt would not keep any pictures from that game! He is posting pictures (and it was really only one play) that show another team win a championship. He can't talk about it first hand. That would be like a virgin trying to tell you about sex. It's sad when your only pleasure is to cheer at another's failure...not your own triumph! And they still haven't even made it back to the big show, despite the yearly guarantees they will hoist the Lombardi (which start right about draft time)!!! 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]I'm hoping the reason for the Hobbs trade is to sign J.T.   The fact is without a good pass rush, CB's don't mean much with today's NFL.  DB can barely touch WR's nowadays, so teams need to get to the passer, much like the Giants did in 2007 and 2008.
    Posted by Grogan77[/QUOTE]

I think you've nailed it. One of the main reasons for trading Hobbs was to create cap space, to sign JT.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Hobbs was better than the guys we got now.  He got injured from all his kickoffs, which hurt his performance as CB.  He was playing with two injuries in that Super Bowl.  Before he accumulated injuries from returning kicks, he was a stud in 2005 and 2006. 

But that's the nature of the game - NFL owners bring in tremendous athletes, destroy their bodies, and replace them.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from travelster. Show travelster's posts

Well they normally know what they are doing so maybe but i really think they should have kept hobbs.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from passedball. Show passedball's posts

[QUOTE]I am elated that Hobbs is gone.He always played too soft and QBs could pick up an easy 9 yards to start any series. When he finally approached the line he couldn't jam and would get burned deep. In his defense it's gotta be said that the front seven never got any pressure on the QB, so playing corner is not easy when that happens.
    Posted by trouts[/QUOTE]

The Patriots shouldn't have assigned him a number. Just taping slices of toast in their place would have been sufficient. Wink

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

-- "But that's the nature of the game - NFL owners bring in tremendous athletes, destroy their bodies, and replace them." --

Yes they do . . . 

And there is no shortage of players willing to sign on for the privilege. Unless I'm greatly mistaken, the average NFL career is somewhere very close to three years; and for every Brett Favre who plays for 20 years with only the occasional hangnail, there are hundreds of guys you barely hear about who come and go in the blink of an eye. Ellis Hobbs is gone (my guess is we'll miss him on kick returns), but you can still cuss 27, if that's what you like to do. I'm sure Butler will f*ck up at some point. It's all just laundry anyway. It's not like Pats fans are going to start following the Chiefs so they can cheer Matt Cassel, or people who think Hobbs blows (or Asante Samuel, for that matter) are going to become Iggles followers so they can continue to jeer them. These guys are gladiators. They may as well be robots. The only difference between the football player who blows his knee out on the field in a split second and the coal miner who chokes his life away over 20 years is that you're not paying to watch anybody mine coal. Hazards of the chosen profession. Nothing more.

( Incidentally, I want to mention again how much I love the pc filter on this forum. I had to replace the word skrew (sic) with the word f*ck -- isn't that nice?)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ricky1554atl. Show ricky1554atl's posts

SuperBowl ring for SuperBowl XXXIX dance with this

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ricky1554atl. Show ricky1554atl's posts

Losing Hobbs as a return man will hurt but he can be replaced. Losing Hobbs as a corner will help this team. There were teams that threw at Hobbs even with a rookie at the other corner. Not a knock on Hobbs, just the truth.

After rereading I felt the need to edit. As a corner, this is a huge knock on Hobbs. By injury or just loss of some skill, he has not been a good cover for awhile. But as a football player, I could not knock his dedication and perseverance. He did play injured alot at a position not many can play.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kmaxx. Show Kmaxx's posts

For the last 4 years this D could not make a big stop when necessary.  Hobbs was the reason.  How many big INTs. did he come up with, forced fumbles a signal big game changing Play? 

The guy played 12 yards off the line an consistently got beat underneath and long.  He was a pathetic Joke as a CB.  I called it from day 1 and I'm sticking to it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

[QUOTE] dance with this
    Posted by ricky1554atl[/QUOTE]
    How many you got since Hobbs was drafted?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrogLegs. Show FrogLegs's posts

From www.patriots.com (Saturday mini-camp notes)

Quick hits

Second-round pick Darius Butler made a nice break on the ball for an interception in a one-on-one coverage drill in the morning. Later, though, he was in position to break up a deep ball but jumped too early and allowed the completion. He also gave up a couple completions during the afternoon session.

Doesn't it sound like a Hobbs clone? I hope to be wrong... Frown

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsGhost. Show RedsGhost's posts

[QUOTE]From www.patriots.com ( Saturday mini-camp notes) Quick hits Second-round pick Darius Butler made a nice break on the ball for an interception in a one-on-one coverage drill in the morning. Later, though, he was in position to break up a deep ball but jumped too early and allowed the completion. He also gave up a couple completions during the afternoon session. Doesn't it sound like a Hobbs clone? I hope to be wrong...
    Posted by FrogLegs[/QUOTE]

Your're kidding right? The second day of practice, the 3rd 2 hour session of 4 2 hour practices and your ALREADY trying to draw judgements on this rookie? Give the dude AT LEAST until he unpacks his suitcase before you start judging, would ya?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

I think alot of Pats fans and maybe the Pats Brass expected Hobbs to have a breakout season and emerge as an elite CB. That never happened, so when the Pats went out and signed Bodden and Springs and drafted Butler, Hobbs became expendable.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrogLegs. Show FrogLegs's posts

RedsGhost, 

Of course I was sarcastic in my comments.
    Let's see how Butler developps but, to my taste, the Pats already had enough smallish CBs (Wheatley, Wilhite,...) why drafting another one?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ricky1554atl. Show ricky1554atl's posts

[QUOTE]How many you got since Hobbs was drafted?
    Posted by jbolted[/QUOTE]
    Three for us this decade.
    While we're keeping count, how many do you have since you drafted LT troll boy?