What about TJ?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Re: What about TJ?

I was wondering about TJ and he is 31 first of all but I think he is a young 31 because he hasn't had the wear and tear others his age and tallent level have had. Now, as I said earlier I would try to get him if they do let him go but I still think the Patriots will be in trouble if they don't draft a guy like Spiller  by moving up as I have shown how to do or at the very least getting Best, or some other top RB prospect before the end of the second round.  

Here is the RB picture age wise and free agent year:

Fred Taylor
    Laurence Maroney
    Sammy Morris
    Kevin Faulk
    BenJarvus Green-Ellis
    2011 (RFA)

If we get TJ lets say and get Spiller then you let Morris and Taylor go. You have instantly transformed the RB's group made them better and younger while still holding on to Faulk.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In Response to Re: What about TJ?:
    Jones is obviously a better option than Morris or Taylor right now because he still has more gas in the tank and he is more durable and more productive.Taylor and Morris are almost guaranteed to miss a handful of games between them each year.
    Posted by PatsBBBrady

Have to disagree with the idea that Jones would be an upgrade.  First, if you're going to replace one of Morris or Taylor, it has to be Taylor because Morris plays special teams and Taylor and Jones don't.  Also, he has way more mileage than Morris (2600 touches vs. 900 for Morris).  The track record of guys with his number of carries and his age is not good, see Dillon, Corey.  And Jones has never been an elite back in that class, just a solid, workmanlike guy. 

Consider another RB with about 1,000 fewer touches and 4 years younger than Jones, Willis McGahee.  And he always seems to tear up the Pats.  Not sure of his contract situation, but I don't think he's long for Baltimore.  I'd rather have him over Jones or Taylor.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nightrider495. Show nightrider495's posts

I was wondering about TJ and he is 31 first of all but I think he is a young 31 because he hasn't had the wear and tear others his age and tallent level have had. Now, as I said earlier I would try to get him if they do let him go but I still think the Patriots will be in trouble if they don't draft a guy like Spiller  by moving up as I have shown how to do or at the very least getting Best, or some other top RB prospect before the end of the second round.   Here is the RB picture age wise and free agent year: Fred Taylor 33 2011 Laurence Maroney 24 2011 Sammy Morris 32 2011 Kevin Faulk 33 2010 BenJarvus Green-Ellis 24 2011 (RFA) If we get TJ lets say and get Spiller then you let Morris and Taylor go. You have instantly transformed the RB's group made them better and younger while still holding on to Faulk.
    Posted by DaBlade

I think it would be tough to see Bill adding both Jones and drafting a back early. I think that if he got Jones, he would consider the RB position pretty much set, and wouldn't waste a high pick on another back. Don't get me wrong, a RB tandem of Jones and Spiller would be sick, but I just can't see that happening. So, if I had to choose, I say go with the young talent like I was saying earlier. That way you have a guy to build off from for the future. Jones being 31 will be on the decline soon, mark my words. Age is something that you can't outrun.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

There are a few different ways to look at the RB position and age definately has to be included. Also obviously production. Having said that I think it is conceivable that the Patriots if they did for the sake of argument end up with TJ and lets say Spiller would have their one two punch and they would then likely add Faulk to that mix... I just can't see them letting him go when he is still capable of some amazing stuff on the field.  Now your looking at backups. As far as the backups I want to ballance knowledge and ability with youth so for me I would keep Morris and Green-Ellis as long as I could move Maroney in a trade. But I am just not going to let Maroney go for sawdust.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nightrider495. Show nightrider495's posts

There are a few different ways to look at the RB position and age definately has to be included. Also obviously production. Having said that I think it is conceivable that the Patriots if they did for the sake of argument end up with TJ and lets say Spiller would have their one two punch and they would then likely add Faulk to that mix... I just can't see them letting him go when he is still capable of some amazing stuff on the field.  Now your looking at backups. As far as the backups I want to ballance knowledge and ability with youth so for me I would keep Morris and Green-Ellis as long as I could move Maroney in a trade. But I am just not going to let Maroney go for sawdust.
    Posted by DaBlade

if Thomas Jones is released, I could see San Diego making a huge push for him. They are letting both LT and Sproles hit the open market.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rxmsg. Show rxmsg's posts

Getting a stud running back is the sexy thing to do....
    IMO... It won't change a thing unless the OL is upgraded.
    Mankins & Seabass is all we got...the rest of OL is suspect at best.
    I know it's not exciting but fix the OL and we fix the running game.

If the OL opens holes Laura will not need to dance and become Lawrence
    We just don't have the beasts up front to have a productive running game
    I am not defending Laura because sometimes a RB has to make his own holes but
    more often than not there were no holes or seams created by this OL.

Let us not forget that you build a team from the ball outwards.

I want to see some big strong beasts up front just knocking people off the ball and being 3 yards upfield before the RB even hits the line of scrimmage.
    Even Laura just might look like stud then.

This team needs to return to SMASHMOUTH football....it's what it's all about

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

rxmsg... I agree in general that there needs to be some improvement on the Oline and I think it can be done over the next 3 seasons while maintaining a pretty solid line... putting Vollmer in at RT and then I can deal with Koppen with Mankins on one side of him and I can even deal with Light at LT for one last year. They need to upgrade RG in 2010... and start Vollmer at RT do those two things and this Oline would be fine. You could then replace Light with Vollmer in 2011 and draft a new RT early.  Replace Koppen at C in 2012 then you have totally revamped the Oline in 3 years while at the same time maintaining a pretty solid line.  

Sections
Shortcuts