What are NE's chances vs. Indy?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFan1979. Show PatsFan1979's posts

What are NE's chances vs. Indy?

It's not too early to start talking about the headline game of the season: New England vs Indy. What chance do you give the Patriots in this one?

Reasons for Optimism:

1) By this time in most seasons, we are completely ravaged by injuries at this time of the year, especially in the secondary. This year? Not so much. In fact, Indy has a lot worse injuries than we do.

2) Bob Sanders is OUT FOR THE YEAR. He misses tons of games, but always is somehow healthy enough to play against the Patriots....well, not this year.

3) Brady is in a groove right now, and is not missing the open players so often like he was early in the year.

4) We have a really solid run defense (only 2 rush TD allowed all year)

5) We're one of the few teams that can match Indy score for score

6) Our running game is pretty decent - Maroney has done very well since the Tenn. game

7) Welker & Moss have dominated all year, and the Indy secondary is missing Sanders and Marlin Jackson

8) Our offensive line has blocked well all year for Brady - he's only been sacked 10 times in 8 games

Stuff to worry about:

1) We gotta stop Peyton. Easier said than done, but he's only thrown 4 td passes in the past 3 gms, so it's possible.

2) Reggie Wayne is one of the best deep threats in the league today. Our safeties need to be on their game to protect against the deep pass

3) Dallas Clark seems to always kill us - focus on him all night

4) Dwight Freeney is a great pass rusher. It might be a good idea to double-team him....as if that would stop him...

5) We've only won one road game this season, and that was in London. If we lose this game, it likely takes away any hope of home-field advantage, and would probably mean the road to the Super Bowl in the AFC would be through Indy.

5) We don't generate much of a pass rush - we'll need to do that next Sunday. If Peyton's comfortable, he'll light up the scoreboard.

Interesting nuggets about the Patriots:

* Since 2001, they're 107-4 when scoring 21 or more points

* Since 2001, they've only lost once when we had more rush attempts than pass attempts

* Since 2001, they've only lost one time when we won the turnover battle

Prediction: Patriots 28, Colts 21

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFan1979. Show PatsFan1979's posts

Re: What are NE's chances vs. Indy?

Edit post wasn't working, so meant to make these changes:

last # under stuff to worry about should be #6

All the "Since 2001's", should say "they" instead of "we"

Really hope the Patriots pull this game out - they are more than capable of it....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

I think the Pats' chances are good if they execute on offense.  I think the Patriots can outgun the Colts, but they have to take advantage of all of the opportunities that they seem to miss on a regular basis (like Green-Ellis' drop in the red zone today on a beautifully run wheel route, or the underthrown ball to Moss to start the game).

I'd add Dwight Freeney going against young Sebastian Vollmer to the list of things that worry me.  I'd have him practice footwork against a d-back with his hands behind his back to make him move his feet.  If he can keep his body in front of Wheatley, Wilhite, Tate, Slater, Arrington, or some other young skill position player, then he'll have the footwork to keep Freeney at bay.  With his size advantage, speed is the only way for Freeney to win that battle.

I'm also worried about Mathis against Kazcur.

But most importantly, I'm worried about 3rd down defense.  Today was a poor showing against an inferior offense, and like carawaydj said earlier I'm hoping that it can be chalked up to overcompensating against the run/formations.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from IndianaPatsFan. Show IndianaPatsFan's posts

The simple answer to the original question is that they have a very good chance. The Colts are certainly not ripe for the picking, but they have nearly been beaten at home the last two games. Can't wait for this game! I live an hour from Lucas Oil Stadium and see it almost every day because of my job. The Colts fans will be up for this one, as always. Let the countdown begin!!!!!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasonh86. Show jasonh86's posts

I think they're good; not great, but good. 

I feel good going into that game after seeing how Indy has kinda sputtered a bit the last couple weeks.  Peyton has been deemed to be human again, so that works out in our advantage.  Brady is on a role the past 3 games and will work against 2 rookie starting CB's and a backup safety.  Moss has looked very solid in the deep/short/middle-ranged passing game, so that is great to see this year.  Welker is reliable as always and Maroney is actually going north-and-south, instead of side-to-side.  

If our defense can muster a bit of a pass rush (we've shown flashes of it from time-to-time this season).  Hopefully Green will be back and Warren will be back to normal next week, along with getting Wilhite back for some depth.  

Vollmer looked good today against Joey Porter, so i'm not worried about him any more than I would be about Matt Light if either of them lined up against Freeney.  Just to clarify, i'm not saying Vollmer is as good as Light but he has been solid so far.  

If we can keep our offense somewhat balanced and keep Peyton from getting the deep pass going, as well as holding Dallas Clark to only a few receptions, then we have a really good chance.  I think they've done a good job limiting the production of good/great TE's so far this year (Gonzalez, Winslow Jr., Heap) with the play of our safeties (mainly McGowan, I do believe).

I can't wait though!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

This will be a good one. I can't wait to see the spread. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Unless you feel the Pats are not as good of a team as the 49'ers or the Texans, both of whom gave the Colts a couple REAL tough games in the dome, you have to say their chances are very good.  There is no way we can say the offense of the Pats is less challenging to a decimated Colts defense compared to the aforementioned teams.  Do we also say the defense of the 49'ers and the Texans is better than the Pats?  On both sides of the ball the Pats are easily better than these two teams.  True, we can't get over-confident, but, given the struggle the Colts had to beat these two, in which Peyton also struggled in both games, seems to point to one team that is in a funk while the other has improved week to week.  This will be a great game and the Colts have a different fire when the Pats come into town.  Could it be they were looking past relatively easy opponents expecting to breeze into this game unblemished?  Maybe so.  Lastly, what makes this game most interesting, the tables have turned and it is the Colts with the injuries and not the Pats, this time!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CapnFoxboro. Show CapnFoxboro's posts

Pats  40
    Colts 24

This one has been circled since the schedule came out ~
     Colts havent played anyone close to the talent level as the Pats and I think BB and Tom understand the significance of it and want this one more than ANY game this season.

Colts are beat up and barely clingin' to W's while Pats have put up 121 points and given up only 24 in last 12 quarters of play .

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

baddawg, out of elementary school yet?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shtarka. Show Shtarka's posts

What are the Past's chances vs Indy? Pretty f###king good! The Pats will be +3.5 points

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shtarka. Show Shtarka's posts

Hey Baddawg- Is your avatar Michael Vick's Christmas card to you? haha

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Well, the Colts and the Saints have had some close calls with teams worse than the Pats.  They can be beaten but we need to play great football for 60 minutes plus a few more seconds for good measure.  At least we'll know for sure how much our pass D has improved this year...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SmokingJoe. Show SmokingJoe's posts

Just because the Colts have played some close games of late, it does not mean that they will not bring their "A" game next Sunday night.  The colts and Manning will be primed and ready for the PATS.  The crowd And speakers will be jacked up... The Pats have yet to play a solid road game (I dont count London - Tampa Bay).....

I think the PATS are capable of winning next week, but the Red Zone offense and 3rd down defense MUST improve.  Today's performance will not cut it with the Colts. 

As for answering the Question, If I were Vegas setting the line, I would have Indy -3.....

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hang3xc. Show hang3xc's posts

In all honesty I think our low "Points Against" and decent looking "D" is a result of our weak competition. I think our corners play way too soft / far off the receivers. They can't just let the guys catch every ball and then tackle them. They need to play more agressively. Yes that can lead to getting beat on a big play once in a while, but it also leads to PICKS, something we don't get nearly enough of. I think if our corners play soft on Indy, Manning will destroy them.

I've seen too many plays where the ONLY reason they weren't big for the other team was because their receiver simply didn't catch the ball, or, less likely, the ball was poorly thrown, but NOT usually because of any great coverage. I am not sold on the secondary at all. Bodden seems the best of the bunch. Meriweather looks great at everything except tackling. He dives at legs and people hop over him for big gains. It's his glaring weakness. McGowan is much better at tackling and is looking REAL good, big hitter, right places/right times.

Manning will NOT be throwing bad passes. He hits guys that are covered tight or double covered completely. You have to be right on those guys so you can actually knock the ball out of their hands before they get a good hold of it. This is a huge test. If our D-line can pressure Manning it would be a huge help, but how often does Manning get sacked? He just gets rid of the ball faster. He's the real deal. If not for the Pats, he'd probably have 4 or 5 SB rings. It was just his bad luck to be in the league at the same time the Brady led Pats are, but our good fortune.

I actually enjoyed the beatings we put on them in the AFC Championship Games better than the actual SB themselves, but a youngTy Law isn't back there to pick him off 4 times a game OR to smash their receivers at the line HARD and disrupt Peytons precious timng routes. Our new "D" MAY be up to the challenge. Hopefully BB will have them cover tight, not play 10 yards away, and keep the safety's back in case the corners get burned occasionally. That's what I'd like to see
    I think we can win this game. I think we can win them all actually. The Pats are DEFINITELY capable of beating ANY team in the NFL on any given Sunday

Pats 27 Colts 24

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

In Response to What are NE's chances vs. Indy?:
    It's not too early to start talking about the headline game of the season: New England vs Indy. What chance do you give the Patriots in this one? Reasons for Optimism: 1) By this time in most seasons, we are completely ravaged by injuries at this time of the year, especially in the secondary. This year? Not so much. In fact, Indy has a lot worse injuries than we do. 2) Bob Sanders is OUT FOR THE YEAR. He misses tons of games, but always is somehow healthy enough to play against the Patriots....well, not this year. 3) Brady is in a groove right now, and is not missing the open players so often like he was early in the year. 4) We have a really solid run defense (only 2 rush TD allowed all year) 5) We're one of the few teams that can match Indy score for score 6) Our running game is pretty decent - Maroney has done very well since the Tenn. game 7) Welker & Moss have dominated all year, and the Indy secondary is missing Sanders and Marlin Jackson 8) Our offensive line has blocked well all year for Brady - he's only been sacked 10 times in 8 games Stuff to worry about: 1) We gotta stop Peyton. Easier said than done, but he's only thrown 4 td passes in the past 3 gms, so it's possible. 2) Reggie Wayne is one of the best deep threats in the league today. Our safeties need to be on their game to protect against the deep pass 3) Dallas Clark seems to always kill us - focus on him all night 4) Dwight Freeney is a great pass rusher. It might be a good idea to double-team him....as if that would stop him... 5) We've only won one road game this season, and that was in London. If we lose this game, it likely takes away any hope of home-field advantage, and would probably mean the road to the Super Bowl in the AFC would be through Indy. 5) We don't generate much of a pass rush - we'll need to do that next Sunday. If Peyton's comfortable, he'll light up the scoreboard. Interesting nuggets about the Patriots: * Since 2001, they're 107-4 when scoring 21 or more points * Since 2001, they've only lost once when we had more rush attempts than pass attempts * Since 2001, they've only lost one time when we won the turnover battle Prediction: Patriots 28, Colts 21  
    Posted by PatsFan1979

Great analysis, Patsfan.

Not to wish injuries on anyone but it is great to be playing the colts for once when they're hurting more than we are in the injury department. Their defense has been very vulnerable without sanders in the past.

I think we have a better than even chance for a win here. It'll be interesting to see what the spread is, not that it really means anything. I'm thinking Pats -3 on the road.

I'm real encouraged by maroney's play today and we did generate a bit of a pass rush for a change. Two real plusses we'll need to take one from indy. Also, since sea bass handled taylor just fine today, he'll should also hold up against a comparable pass rusher in feeney, who  seems to just toy with matt light. 

Our D backfield is improving with each game despite merriweather continuing to miss more tackles than he should. Loved seeing chung's speed on his sack!

all in all, I'm feeling real good about this game and taking the colts down a peg. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DFree93HOF. Show DFree93HOF's posts

Time to commence the best rivalry in the NFL.  Indy's gonna be rockin' Sunday night.  It'll be a tight game but I expect Brady to get very familiar with DFree and Mathis.  As long as the Colts can keep Peyton upright and out fox BB, I think they'll be allright.  Colts 31 Pats 27    GO HORSE!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from DFree93HOF. Show DFree93HOF's posts

BTW: Don't know if all you Patsy fans have seen this but it's pretty funny.  It might get a laugh out of you but then again it might not.   It's from The OnionSports.

Baltimore Ravens linebacker Terrell Suggs was flagged for emotionally roughing Patriots quarterback Tom Brady yesterday after a hit left the star quarterback feeling upset and unloved.
    "I didn't care for that! I didn't care for that one bit!" snapped Brady, stomping his foot as he pulled himself up off the ground. Moments later, official Tom Winter threw a flag, penalizing Suggs and the Ravens for an infraction never before called in organized football.
    "The new rules in place make our job very clear as officials," said Winter, explaining his call. "We are to protect the quarterback, especially star quarterbacks, and especially this star quarterback. Brady's injury last year is what prompted all of these rule changes." 
    Brady says Winter made the right call.
    "I don't think people understand how hard it is to be me. I'm coming back from a knee injury, my team is struggling, I have one child out of wedlock, another child on the way, very high-maintenance dogs to take care of, I'm expected to look stylish all the time and I have the stress of physically satisfying a woman millions of men around the world would love a shot at. And then when someone tackles me, well ..." he said, tearing up. "It can be very, very hard, okay? It can be very hard on my psyche."
    Suggs said he had no intention of emotionally harming Brady, only sacking him and maybe creating a turnover.
    "I wasn't trying to emotionally rough the guy," said Suggs. "Physically harming him would have been awesome, but all that touchy-feely emotional crap is what's killing football. I just wanted to maim the guy."
    NFL commissioner Roger Goodell says he will examine the emotionally roughing the quarterback call and evaluate how it should be called in the future.
    "I know this is a tough judgment call for our officials," said Goodell. "And I don't want to make their job any tougher than it is already. So I think what we'll probably do is have Tom Brady, Tony Romo and Eli Manning all have the power to call this penalty themselves when they feel they have been emotionally harmed. That's the only way to accomplish the true goal and spirit of the new rules we put in place."

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

The Colt aren't the offensive juggernaut that we have come to expect.  They are still good (6th in NFL), but the Pats will have to execute on the offense against thier top ranked defense.  The pats have the talent but have been inconsistent on offense.  I think they left a lot of points on the field against Miami.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

This is always the best game of the year when these two teams match-up. Last year's game wasn't as great as it usually is with Tom out for the year and Peyton still recovering from his knee, but this year's game will be great. The Colts are the number 1 ranked scoring defense in the league, the Patriots are number 3. The Colts have the number 10 ranked YPG defense in the league, the Patriots have the 6th. It's going to be a great match-up against these two outstanding teams. 

Things to watch for: 

1.)Moss versus the Indy depleted secondary
    2.)Maroney & Benny versus the Indy run defense that always seems susceptible to the run.
    3.)McGowan versus Dallas Clark.

Once again, New Orleans makes me doubt them. They give up 14 points to start the game against a less than average Carolina team, if they bring that kind of play against the Patriots they will lose, and lose bad. Giving Brady a 14 point lead is like granting Superman an invulnerability to Kryptonite, there would be no stopping him.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shtarka. Show Shtarka's posts

In Response to Re: What are NE's chances vs. Indy?:
    BTW: Don't know if all you Patsy fans have seen this but it's pretty funny.  It might get a laugh out of you but then again it might not.   It's from The OnionSports. Baltimore Ravens linebacker Terrell Suggs was flagged for emotionally roughing Patriots quarterback Tom Brady yesterday after a hit left the star quarterback feeling upset and unloved. "I didn't care for that! I didn't care for that one bit!" snapped Brady, stomping his foot as he pulled himself up off the ground. Moments later, official Tom Winter threw a flag, penalizing Suggs and the Ravens for an infraction never before called in organized football. "The new rules in place make our job very clear as officials," said Winter, explaining his call. "We are to protect the quarterback, especially star quarterbacks, and especially this star quarterback. Brady's injury last year is what prompted all of these rule changes."  Brady says Winter made the right call. "I don't think people understand how hard it is to be me. I'm coming back from a knee injury, my team is struggling, I have one child out of wedlock, another child on the way, very high-maintenance dogs to take care of, I'm expected to look stylish all the time and I have the stress of physically satisfying a woman millions of men around the world would love a shot at. And then when someone tackles me, well ..." he said, tearing up. "It can be very, very hard, okay? It can be very hard on my psyche." Suggs said he had no intention of emotionally harming Brady, only sacking him and maybe creating a turnover. "I wasn't trying to emotionally rough the guy," said Suggs. "Physically harming him would have been awesome, but all that touchy-feely emotional crap is what's killing football. I just wanted to maim the guy." NFL commissioner Roger Goodell says he will examine the emotionally roughing the quarterback call and evaluate how it should be called in the future. "I know this is a tough judgment call for our officials," said Goodell. "And I don't want to make their job any tougher than it is already. So I think what we'll probably do is have Tom Brady, Tony Romo and Eli Manning all have the power to call this penalty themselves when they feel they have been emotionally harmed. That's the only way to accomplish the true goal and spirit of the new rules we put in place."
    Posted by DFree93HOF

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shtarka. Show Shtarka's posts

Hey DFree, what's so funny about this? Do you think it's fun being emotionally roughed up and unloved, then having to go home and give your wife the high hard one?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ColtsMan73. Show ColtsMan73's posts

You cheatriot fans are already starting with we get all the calls? Seriously? Are you preparing for a loss or something? Newsflash cheatriots, Sanders and Jackson have been out all year, and yes we've had a couple close games, but you can't blow out everybody. Atleast have respect for a great rivalry, and stop the typical cheatriot whining about the calls. You get your fair share of calls. True football fans would know the media blows out of proportion our so called decimated defense. We have all these guys out and we still win. No Gonzales or donald Brown on offense, and we're still 8-0. Lol, Peyton has struggled the last two games, better take another look at the box scores. Your defense isn't near as good as it normally is, and ours is better. I guess we better close the roof for practice ths week, Bellicheat will have predator drones out trying to scope out our walk thru's. Anyone of you tools who don't think we'll be ready to play this week are severly mistaken. We've been looking at this game for 3 weeks, that's why we played down to our competition. One of you morons said Cheats -3 on the road, shows your intelligence. We're going to send you back to Boston with a I just got poked in the keester by the neighbor's dog look on your faces. See you punks in Indy.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

In Response to Re: What are NE's chances vs. Indy?:
    You cheatriot fans are already starting with we get all the calls? Seriously? Are you preparing for a loss or something? Newsflash cheatriots, Sanders and Jackson have been out all year, and yes we've had a couple close games, but you can't blow out everybody. Atleast have respect for a great rivalry, and stop the typical cheatriot whining about the calls. You get your fair share of calls. True football fans would know the media blows out of proportion our so called decimated defense. We have all these guys out and we still win. No Gonzales or donald Brown on offense, and we're still 8-0. Lol, Peyton has struggled the last two games, better take another look at the box scores. Your defense isn't near as good as it normally is, and ours is better. I guess we better close the roof for practice ths week, Bellicheat will have predator drones out trying to scope out our walk thru's. Anyone of you tools who don't think we'll be ready to play this week are severly mistaken. We've been looking at this game for 3 weeks, that's why we played down to our competition. One of you morons said Cheats -3 on the road, shows your intelligence. We're going to send you back to Boston with a I just got poked in the keester by the neighbor's dog look on your faces. See you punks in Indy.
    Posted by ColtsMan73

Another troll creates a profile to talk sh*t on our boards like the Colts one lonely championship banner didn't come as a result of Bill Polian changing the rules and controlling referees' salaries (yes, for real, Polian was and might still be in charge of referees' salaries).

GFY

Sections
Shortcuts