What are NE's chances vs. Indy?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Citall. Show Citall's posts

Re: What are NE's chances vs. Indy?

In Response to What are NE's chances vs. Indy?:
    It's not too early to start talking about the headline game of the season: New England vs Indy. What chance do you give the Patriots in this one? Reasons for Optimism: 1) By this time in most seasons, we are completely ravaged by injuries at this time of the year, especially in the secondary. This year? Not so much. In fact, Indy has a lot worse injuries than we do. 2) Bob Sanders is OUT FOR THE YEAR. He misses tons of games, but always is somehow healthy enough to play against the Patriots....well, not this year. 3) Brady is in a groove right now, and is not missing the open players so often like he was early in the year. 4) We have a really solid run defense (only 2 rush TD allowed all year) 5) We're one of the few teams that can match Indy score for score 6) Our running game is pretty decent - Maroney has done very well since the Tenn. game 7) Welker & Moss have dominated all year, and the Indy secondary is missing Sanders and Marlin Jackson 8) Our offensive line has blocked well all year for Brady - he's only been sacked 10 times in 8 games Stuff to worry about: 1) We gotta stop Peyton. Easier said than done, but he's only thrown 4 td passes in the past 3 gms, so it's possible. 2) Reggie Wayne is one of the best deep threats in the league today. Our safeties need to be on their game to protect against the deep pass 3) Dallas Clark seems to always kill us - focus on him all night 4) Dwight Freeney is a great pass rusher. It might be a good idea to double-team him....as if that would stop him... 5) We've only won one road game this season, and that was in London. If we lose this game, it likely takes away any hope of home-field advantage, and would probably mean the road to the Super Bowl in the AFC would be through Indy. 5) We don't generate much of a pass rush - we'll need to do that next Sunday. If Peyton's comfortable, he'll light up the scoreboard. Interesting nuggets about the Patriots: * Since 2001, they're 107-4 when scoring 21 or more points * Since 2001, they've only lost once when we had more rush attempts than pass attempts * Since 2001, they've only lost one time when we won the turnover battle Prediction: Patriots 28, Colts 21  
    Posted by PatsFan1979

its been said before and two evenly matched teams meet...it is going to be REAL close and one of the games where one becomes conflicted about being a football fan or not...because it will tear your heart out.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MYNJJets. Show MYNJJets's posts

In Response to Re: What are NE's chances vs. Indy?:
    I think they're good; not great, but good.  I feel good going into that game after seeing how Indy has kinda sputtered a bit the last couple weeks.  Peyton has been deemed to be human again, so that works out in our advantage.  Brady is on a role the past 3 games and will work against 2 rookie starting CB's and a backup safety.  Moss has looked very solid in the deep/short/middle-ranged passing game, so that is great to see this year.  Welker is reliable as always and Maroney is actually going north-and-south, instead of side-to-side.   If our defense can muster a bit of a pass rush (we've shown flashes of it from time-to-time this season).  Hopefully Green will be back and Warren will be back to normal next week, along with getting Wilhite back for some depth.   Vollmer looked good today against Joey Porter, so i'm not worried about him any more than I would be about Matt Light if either of them lined up against Freeney.  Just to clarify, i'm not saying Vollmer is as good as Light but he has been solid so far.   If we can keep our offense somewhat balanced and keep Peyton from getting the deep pass going, as well as holding Dallas Clark to only a few receptions, then we have a really good chance.  I think they've done a good job limiting the production of good/great TE's so far this year (Gonzalez, Winslow Jr., Heap) with the play of our safeties (mainly McGowan, I do believe). I can't wait though!!
    Posted by jasonh86

And as a Jet fan, I feel good about the Jets' chances of going into your stadium after seeing all that what was exposed by the dolphins.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from IraqSteve. Show IraqSteve's posts

Bring it dude! 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanInGlendaleAZ. Show PatsFanInGlendaleAZ's posts

Stupid Question!  I look at it a bit differently: What are the Colt's chances against the New England Patriots?

Answer:  NOT GOOD!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LittleTimmy31. Show LittleTimmy31's posts

With the Colts on the brink of losing the last two games to teams not as good as the Pats, the Pats can do it. Brady is going to light up the inexperienced Colt secondary and Belicheck will come up w/ a scheme to keep yardbird Manning under control.

In a close one, Pats 31, Colts 24

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JulesWinfield. Show JulesWinfield's posts

Well, the same argument many of you have used can be used by us Colt fans too.  The Pats have struggled with lesser opponents... (Buff., Miami, NYJ, Balt.), that is.  But let's face it, when the Colts play NE it's always a good (often great) game.  Hopefully, Pitt will beat Denver tonight and the Colts will have a two game lead on the rest of the conference and it won't be the end of the world if the Pats pull it out...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from IraqSteve. Show IraqSteve's posts

I'm not buying into the whole "Colts had 2 close games" theory.  Houston was a division game and always play them tuff (kind of like how Miami plays the Pats?).

San Fran is just one of those weird teams that comes in and gives the Colts trouble.  Hell, the last time SF was at Indy we got the classic Mora soundbite "playoffs"?

Forget all the previous games for both teams this season.  Pats and Colts will be at each others throat!  You know both teams want this bad!

It's gonna be an awesome game.  Pats 31, Colts 28

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from IndianaPatsFan. Show IndianaPatsFan's posts

In Response to What are NE's chances vs. Indy? : Great analysis, Patsfan. Not to wish injuries on anyone but it is great to be playing the colts for once when they're hurting more than we are in the injury department. Their defense has been very vulnerable without sanders in the past. I think we have a better than even chance for a win here. It'll be interesting to see what the spread is, not that it really means anything. I'm thinking Pats -3 on the road. I'm real encouraged by maroney's play today and we did generate a bit of a pass rush for a change. Two real plusses we'll need to take one from indy. Also, since sea bass handled taylor just fine today, he'll should also hold up against a comparable pass rusher in feeney, who  seems to just toy with matt light.  Our D backfield is improving with each game despite merriweather continuing to miss more tackles than he should. Loved seeing chung's speed on his sack! all in all, I'm feeling real good about this game and taking the colts down a peg. 
    Posted by unclealfie

Watch a game once in a while- Matt Light has been like kryptonite to Dwight Freeney over the years.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTLadyluvsPats. Show CTLadyluvsPats's posts

OT - If it turns out to be a beautiful fall evening with perfect 'football weather', will Indy STILL close the dome so they can crank up the noise track and the thermostat? .... probably. lol

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

out of all the teams the pats faced so far,this game will be there toughest test to date.if the defense plays like it has,the pats chances are slim.the offense is improveing,but they cant have a slow start,sure they can win the game,but all cylinders will have to be perfect.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bmadmax82. Show bmadmax82's posts

Guys,
    If we keep giving up big plays, then Mr. MVP is going to have a field day. DB anr not tackling well. The Miami game could have been closer if Ginn wouldn't have dropped a dud in 4th-15. Apart from TBC, pass rush was non factor. Tough call on roughing the passer by Chung that negated an interception, which is hard to come by anyways. Brady also seems to be under throwing to Moss, or Moss is not leaping as high as he used to. The interception against Jets, Tama, and Miami came against long bombs that Brady shouldn't miss. I hope we figure out the wrinkles, as this win would almost guarantee us a home field advantage.
    AFC wins are huge, and how awesome would it be to knock off the unbeaten Colts. Unlike Jets and Miami, I respect the Colts. They don't trash talk and they play a heck of a ball.
    I would love to give the edge to Pats, but I think its a 50-50 ball game, decided by less than a TD margin!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Pats  40 Colts 24  This one has been circled since the schedule came out ~  Colts havent played anyone close to the talent level as the Pats and I think BB and Tom understand the significance of it and want this one more than ANY game this season.  Colts are beat up and barely clingin' to W's while Pats have put up 121 points and given up only 24 in last 12 quarters of play .
    Posted by CapnFoxboro

I am not going to show a lot of bravado here this week, because the colts have really not played well the last couple of weeks and were fortunate to win against Houston. 

BUT the reasoning above (IN RED) is asinine.  I have read this week after week after week and am still stunned by it.  Regardless of whether or not its true (its not really)  What difference does it make? 

Lets see -

Miami - both played, both won.  Pats at home/Indy on the road
    Tennessee - both played, both won.  Pats at home/Indy on the road
    Atlanta - are they better than Arizona - Not in my book.  
    NYJ - better than Jacksonville - Not in my book.
    Tampa - better than St. Louis - Not in my book.
    Baltimore - better than San Fran - maybe, but if so, not by much. 
    Buffalo - better than Seattle - they both stink in my book. 
    Denver - better than Houston - probably. 

So,  if you've played better talent, its marginally better, AND the pats have lost 2 games to the colts 0. 

If you want to find reasons why the pats will beat the colts, so be it.  But comparing schedules to date is not one of them.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

In Response to Re: What are NE's chances vs. Indy? : And as a Jet fan, I feel good about the Jets' chances of going into your stadium after seeing all that what was exposed by the dolphins.
    Posted by MYNJJets

Thanks for the weekly laugh Leon. You lost to the Fins twice already and your QB has yet to win a game in under 55 degree weather but hey you just keep liking your chances. Delusion can be a wonderful thing when you can't face reality. And the reality is the Jets season is over already.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

OT - If it turns out to be a beautiful fall evening with perfect 'football weather', will Indy STILL close the dome so they can crank up the noise track and the thermostat? .... probably. lol
    Posted by CTLadyluvsPats

Hitchin up the excuse wagon 6 days prior to the game are we?  Your pats are even money.  No need to go there.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from threejak. Show threejak's posts

I like our chances a lot with Brady getting back into the groove however slowly, Maroney showing some conviction hitting the holes but most notably with the DB's...playing as a cohesive unit.  They're gonna have to big time  next week to be sure as Manning is a crafty old pro with a deft touch and Dallas Clark on the field. Still like our chances a bunch and with special team guys like Arrington laying lumber this could be the best game of the season......
    BTW hope yall took note of Pat Chung's monster hit on Heene yesterday despite getting a little high with the helmet.  This boy is coming along as advertized.

GO PATS

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Well . . .  the Colts are undefeated, and you can say whatever you want about the level of competition, but undefeated is undefeated. These guys, more often than not, just find a way to win. The point has been made (from what I consider a reliable source) that Indy has struggled lately against marginal competition, but wins are wins and until somebody takes them out, the Colts have to be considered top pony in the AFC. I think the Pats can beat them, but as always, it will be a matter of execution. I still see Brady forcing the deep ball, and the Pats lack of a running game is going to hurt them against a team that can be run on. Colts are nursing some key injuries but that offense will be the best New England has seen this season. I don't think it will necessarily be a wild west affair, but the winner will probably have to score four touchdowns.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yapple. Show Yapple's posts

If we can prevent Dallas Clark from running wild, we'll win.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

I like how we match up against Indy this year.  If we can get some pressure on Manning and distrupt his passing game, we'll win big.

Easier said than done!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from DBAZ22. Show DBAZ22's posts

First to address The Indy fans whining about rule changes, my how memories can be so selective.  I do recall a snowy playoff game here in NE, back in 2004 was it when the Colts receivers, QB, coaches, GM, and Owner were whining about some "rough" pass coverage on the Patriots?  Hmmm...and who was the Head of the Rules Committee at that time - none other than one Bill "Patri-otts" Polian?  Was not the 5 yard illegal contact rule reinstituted during that offseason to help Peyton and his receivers?  Now I remember...So I guess that argument is a wash, no?

As for the play on the field, it should be another great game.  I don't see either team running away with it this week.  Both teams have tremendous fire power on offense so there will be some points scored.  It looks like NE has the advantage in the secondary, despite a few plays Miami made on Sunday.  The big difference there is Indy appears to have a better pash rush.  If NE can get Manning moving a bit with some pass rush, that in my humble estimation will be the difference.  Hindsight is 20/20, but I do recall last year's game NE was a Gaffney drop and Dave Thomas stupid penalty away from winning that game.  Of course they still lost, and those two guys are no longer on this team.  So let's buckle up the chin straps, and rock-n-roll.  I will quote the immortal BB, "Whoever makes more plays will win." 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

How come every regular season game is played in Indy?  At least it sure seems like it!   This game could be for home field advantage in the American Conferance Championship game!

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubbakilla. Show bubbakilla's posts

In Response to What are NE's chances vs. Indy?:
    It's not too early to start talking about the headline game of the season: New England vs Indy. What chance do you give the Patriots in this one? Reasons for Optimism: 1) By this time in most seasons, we are completely ravaged by injuries at this time of the year, especially in the secondary. This year? Not so much. In fact, Indy has a lot worse injuries than we do. 2) Bob Sanders is OUT FOR THE YEAR. He misses tons of games, but always is somehow healthy enough to play against the Patriots....well, not this year. 3) Brady is in a groove right now, and is not missing the open players so often like he was early in the year. 4) We have a really solid run defense (only 2 rush TD allowed all year) 5) We're one of the few teams that can match Indy score for score 6) Our running game is pretty decent - Maroney has done very well since the Tenn. game 7) Welker & Moss have dominated all year, and the Indy secondary is missing Sanders and Marlin Jackson 8) Our offensive line has blocked well all year for Brady - he's only been sacked 10 times in 8 games Stuff to worry about: 1) We gotta stop Peyton. Easier said than done, but he's only thrown 4 td passes in the past 3 gms, so it's possible. 2) Reggie Wayne is one of the best deep threats in the league today. Our safeties need to be on their game to protect against the deep pass 3) Dallas Clark seems to always kill us - focus on him all night 4) Dwight Freeney is a great pass rusher. It might be a good idea to double-team him....as if that would stop him... 5) We've only won one road game this season, and that was in London. If we lose this game, it likely takes away any hope of home-field advantage, and would probably mean the road to the Super Bowl in the AFC would be through Indy. 5) We don't generate much of a pass rush - we'll need to do that next Sunday. If Peyton's comfortable, he'll light up the scoreboard. Interesting nuggets about the Patriots: * Since 2001, they're 107-4 when scoring 21 or more points * Since 2001, they've only lost once when we had more rush attempts than pass attempts * Since 2001, they've only lost one time when we won the turnover battle Prediction: Patriots 28, Colts 21  
    Posted by PatsFan1979
    great post... i don't think its a question of whether or not the pats win but how BAD we beat up on indy! losing last year gives us the extra motivation. plus brady wants to prove his dominance again after last year and i am sure he still carries a chip after what happened there in 2006. brady is 5-2 in reg season and 2-1 in playoffs head to head versus peyton! minus bob sanders and jackson, becomes a question of attrition. i have not been sold on indy for most of the year. if houston had gistkowski or brady, they win yesterday. ditto with the team last week and a couple of other times this year. peyton gets credit as does caldwell. bottom long is bel and brady should find a way esp in the late stages. look for watson to have a great game as will welker and maroney. pats will beat them down and wear them out. should win by 21! more like 38-17.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from fuzzy1. Show fuzzy1's posts

I don't think the chances are very good at Indy.  I don't see the O-line doing as well agains Mathis and Freeney, and I don't see the D-line getting to the unsackable Manning.

Keep in mind Patriots are 1-4 against Indy in the last 5 games.  Patriots have been called for 20 Penalties for 229 yards in the last three (Indy was called for 9 for 57 yards).  I don't know if the Patriots are good enough to beat Indy while giving up 70+ yards in penalties.

I HOPE they beat Indy, because if the Pats don't then Indy will run the table (without the resounding hatred of the National media like the 2007 Pats).  Most of their remaining games are no-contests for Manning and Co.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mike-J-D. Show Mike-J-D's posts

well i think their chances are pretty good.  pass rush will be the biggest key for both teams.  NE's secondary isn't looking bad and their running game will have to be half decent.  also, limiting (preferably eliminating) the penalties/turnovers will go a long way in beating IND.  cannot give them the game.  right now, my gut is neutral.  i don't have a great feeling about the game nor a bad one.  still early in the week though.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

REMEMBER I SAID THIS, whenever Indy is backed up in a corner, Peyton Manning, being the FRAUD that he is, will send one of his receivers run deep into the endzone to NOWHERE, have them get tangled up with their defenders and then the Bill Pollian 'handpicked refs for the Pats vs Colts game' will throw a "PASS INTEFERENCE FLAG". Mark My words, this could be the game breaker that gives the advantage to, either tie the game or open up a lead whereas the Pats where closing in. It always happens whenever the Pats play these Frauds at their Cornfield Canola Oil Stadium and I don't expect it to change. Remember that game in 07 when the flags were flying like crazy you were wondering what the hell was that yellow thing that kept flying in front of the tv screen during the game. At first you thought it was just Indy Colts fans, being themselves, throwing corn on the field but it was Bill Pollian's good ol' boys just following the Grand masters orders, 'do as i say or else your contract won't get renewed for next year or for good'. Jokes aside and being serious at the same time, I never like it when the Pats play these Frauds, they always get tons of stupid calls in their favor. I hate undiscipline teams like San Fran and Houston who couldn't get the dam job done and give us a dam rest with their undefeated nonsense. I can't understand why They're not broadcasting any Indy games nationally, after all this IS a team making an historic run ain't it, they've broadcast 2 Saints games and with 1 more vs the Pats, for all to see.  When the Pats were on their historic run, the network couldn't get enough of them so why aren't we seeing Indy Games, its not like they've been really blowing teams out like that.  Practically 3 or 4 of their last games have been tight and they've had to squeeze out a win. I freakin seriously wonder if any funny calls were called during these games because it clearly looked to me san fran and houston had those Frauds beat but somehow Indy pulls out. Well, we'll see next week my friends, just watch.
    Posted by Swifttight

I think its in the rule book that saint manning gets at least one highly questionable pass interference call at home. remember the 2006 AFC championship game, where such a call handed a TD and a win to the colts.

Sections
Shortcuts