What are NE's chances vs. Indy?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Re: What are NE's chances vs. Indy?

It's nice to see that underdogg has some company this week.

It's a shame he's the only one (with the possible exception of Jules) who will be here to take his lumps next week after the pats kick Indy in its collective scrotum.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

In Response to Re: What are NE's chances vs. Indy?:
    In Response to Re: What are NE's chances vs. Indy? : I am not going to show a lot of bravado here this week, because the colts have really not played well the last couple of weeks and were fortunate to win against Houston.  BUT the reasoning above ( IN RED ) is asinine.  I have read this week after week after week and am still stunned by it.  Regardless of whether or not its true (its not really)  What difference does it make?  Lets see - Miami - both played, both won.  Pats at home/Indy on the road Tennessee - both played, both won.  Pats at home/Indy on the road Atlanta - are they better than Arizona - Not in my book.   NYJ - better than Jacksonville - Not in my book. Tampa - better than St. Louis - Not in my book. Baltimore - better than San Fran - maybe, but if so, not by much.  Buffalo - better than Seattle - they both stink in my book.  Denver - better than Houston - probably.  So,  if you've played better talent, its marginally better, AND the pats have lost 2 games to the colts 0.  If you want to find reasons why the pats will beat the colts, so be it.  But comparing schedules to date is not one of them.
    Posted by underdogg

The Jets are better than JAX, ATL is better AZ, & BAL is better than frisco. Denver is way better than Houston. 

The AFC south is the worst division this season, next to the NFC west that is. Only 1 good team does not make a good division, unless of course that team wins the SB, and your team WILL NOT win the SB. Heck, you should count yourself fortunate to just make the playoffs and leave it at that.   

It's very possible that the Colts lose 3 in a row right now. 

NE
    @BAL
    @HOU

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Well we have to win.  If we lose it will put me in the uncomfortable position of cheering for the Chargers to make the playoffs so that they can go to Indy again and knock the Colts out.  Then we just have to beat the Chargers :^)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

Well we have to win.  If we lose it will put me in the uncomfortable position of cheering for the Chargers to make the playoffs so that they can go to Indy again and knock the Colts out.  Then we just have to beat the Chargers :^)
    Posted by carawaydj

Let's make a deal, Monty. I root for the Pats, you root for Pittsburgh tonight.
    Then, we'll square up later. ;^)   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PSRyan. Show PSRyan's posts

Will Indy crank the heat/humidity up to 90 plus degrees like they did in the last playoff game? Being at that game I was surprised there wasn't more made of the fact that they used their home field advantage so well. It was similar to how we used to not take care of the field to slow their speed.

While weather cannot be controlled in outdoor stadiums and is an advantage - should indoor teams be able to manipulate the conditions to their advantage? Discuss.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Well the Colts have just been held to 18 and 20 points the past two weeks in their own house by the great defensive stalwarts known as the 49ers and Texans, so I don't know how our guys will possibly keep up with them, lol.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Will Indy crank the heat/humidity up to 90 plus degrees like they did in the last playoff game? Being at that game I was surprised there wasn't more made of the fact that they used their home field advantage so well. It was similar to how we used to not take care of the field to slow their speed. While weather cannot be controlled in outdoor stadiums and is an advantage - should indoor teams be able to manipulate the conditions to their advantage? Discuss.
    Posted by PSRyan

Now Underdogg will tell you that wasn't substantiated.  The fact that the TV commentators were talking about it during the game, and your own personal experiences apparently do not count.  I guess it's not a violation of any rules, therefore no basis for a complaint, no investigation, and finally not substantiated because it wasn't investigated.  I don't believe any noise was pumped into the stadium.  That was looked into by the league.  As for the temperature, well it means to me that Dungy wasn't as sin free as dogg would like to believe.  It was done to give their team an edge, and it worked.  Weren't some of our guys experiencing heat cramps and had to be pulled for some plays?  I guess dogg will say that this is the normal temp for the stadium and that they would have done the same even if the Dolphins were coming to town.

[EDIT] Some blogs think this might have been the independent action of the maintenance crew...  Could this be Indy's version of the snow plow guy?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

More on the heat manipulation.  This is a link to an independent blogger at the game.  The guy is a Colts fan.  http://digitalheadbutt.wordpress.com/2007/01/21/afc-championship-game-colts-vs-patriots-live-blog/

His comments: (I assume his mention of "the janitor" is lighthearted)

9:26 pm: Interesting…it seems that Indy turned off the Air Conditioning in the RCA dome, and now it’s very hot and humid inside the stadium. This could have been a strategy by stadium maintenance crew. If Indy wins, somebody get a game ball to the janitor in section 109.

The Janitor in Section 109: It was his idea to turn of the A/C in the RCA Dome. This led to the stadium becoming hot and humid, which in turn led to the Pats defenders cramping up. If the temperature was normal, the defense would have been more fresh and not allowed 38 points for the Colts offense. Sometimes games are decide by people who have nothing to do with either team. Give credit to whoever turned off the air conditioner in the Dome.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PSRyan. Show PSRyan's posts

Yeah, the noise was 100% genuine - that place was literally shaking from the cheers even while the rock music was playing during breaks and while the mass of humanity contributed to the heat I've been to three games at old RCA dome and ONLY that playoff game was not just hot but stifling. Even the Colts fans around us commented on it.

Like I said, that's what home field means yu use it to your advantage, but if I were Bill I'd be practicing in the bubble all week with the heat cranked. Just in case they close up the LOS roof and try the same ploy.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

That is one of the dumbest, one-sided comparisons i've ever seen.
    Why?  All I have said is that pats have not faced significantly different/better competition than the colts.  The poster I responded to said the colts hadn't played anyone.  I disagree. 

How on earth can you seriously say Jacksonville is better than NYJ? I hate the Jets, but they are a better team than the crappy Jags. Jags are -41 in Points Scored and Points allowed, while the Jests are +43.  Jests have allowed 64 fewer points over the same 8-game span as the Jags and have scored 20 more points as well. 
    I never said the Jags were better, but they are both 4-4 and the Jets have lost 4 of their last 5.

The Miami game - Colts defense was getting run all over all night long!  Patriots bottled up the Wildcat quite well compared to most teams this year, when the 'Fins even deployed their new wrinkle this weekend.  We still have to play them in Miami, so we'll se how we do down there.
    Same competition.  The pats have faced the wildcat 3 times losing their first by a large margin last year.  The colts faced it once, in Miami, and won. 

Tennessee game - Colts put up 31 in basically ideal conditions, Pats put up 59 in a snowstorm.
    Same competition.  Colts played in Tennessee.  Pats played in NE.  The weather favored the Pats.

Atlanta and Arizona are basically equivalents, neither has an edge on the other.
    And how is that counter to what I said?   

Tampa is better than St. Louis; St. Louis is absolutely dreadful and Tampa just beat Green Bay.  Tampa has played better in losing efforts than St. Louis has.  Tampa is -97 in Points Scored and Points allowed, while StL. is -144.   StL has 8 total TD's, Tampa has 18. 
    LOL.  Before yesterday everyone was saying TB was the worst team in the NFL.  You played Tampa on a neutral field.  We played St. Louis in St. Louis.

Baltimore is better than San Fran - Look at the QB play for one, Flacco is much better than Hill or Smith.  The defense in Baltimore is better, so is the running game. 
    I am not sure I agree.  San Fran has a stout d.  The addition of Crabtree makes the passing game better,and I like Frank Gore.  Doesn't seem to be a significant difference in talent.  Baltimore has lost four of its last five While SF has lost last 4.

Buffalo and Seattle are equally as bad as each other; they're both pathetic and dreadful.
    And how is that different than what I said? 

Denver "probably" better than Houston? As bad as I hate to say it, Denver is a much better team overall than Houston.  Houston is better than they have been, but I still think Denver is better overall (offense, defense, special teams).  Indy has to play them later I do believe, so they'll find out for themselves how well-prepared McDaniels gets that team.
    We'll see.  I'll stick with probably.

Does any of it matter for the Pats-Colts game sunday? No.  But for the sake of argument, yes N.E. has played a tougher slate of opponents.
    I didn't question that.  But I don't think it is significantly tougher and the poster said Indy had played NO ONE.  I disagree. 

I do believe New England has a good chance in the game Sunday due to how the team has seemed to improve each week.  Both teams are going to bring their A-game to this one and will be as prepared as possible as well.  I think it will be a 1-possession game when it's over.  
    My post has nothing to do with who will win or lose, I am just sick of everyone fawning over the pats opponents while downgrading the colts.  By the end of this year, the colts and pats will have played 8 common opponents and against each other.  You can't be more similar in schedules without being in the same division.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

In Response to Re: What are NE's chances vs. Indy? : Name me one game in which the Colts had a bogus call against them costing them not only the game but a Super Bowl as well only to have the league acknowledge and formally apologize for the call afterwards? It never happened to the Colts but it happened to the Patriots. Manning got Brady's 4th ring on donation from the NFL. I have never viewed the NFL the same way since.
    Posted by Diesel12

They were non-calls. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

In Response to Re: What are NE's chances vs. Indy? : The Jets are better than JAX, ATL is better AZ, & BAL is better than frisco. Denver is way better than Houston.  The AFC south is the worst division this season, next to the NFC west that is. Only 1 good team does not make a good division, unless of course that team wins the SB, and your team WILL NOT win the SB. Heck, you should count yourself fortunate to just make the playoffs and leave it at that.    It's very possible that the Colts lose 3 in a row right now.  NE @BAL @HOU
    Posted by jbolted

Jbolt, I dig the humor.  Disagree all you like.  Its just opinion, but you cannot be taken seriously by suggesting the AFC South is worse than the AFC West.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

In Response to Re: What are NE's chances vs. Indy? : Now Underdogg will tell you that wasn't substantiated.  The fact that the TV commentators were talking about it during the game, and your own personal experiences apparently do not count.  I guess it's not a violation of any rules, therefore no basis for a complaint, no investigation, and finally not substantiated because it wasn't investigated.  I don't believe any noise was pumped into the stadium.  That was looked into by the league.  As for the temperature, well it means to me that Dungy wasn't as sin free as dogg would like to believe.  It was done to give their team an edge, and it worked.  Weren't some of our guys experiencing heat cramps and had to be pulled for some plays?  I guess dogg will say that this is the normal temp for the stadium and that they would have done the same even if the Dolphins were coming to town. [EDIT] Some blogs think this might have been the independent action of the maintenance crew...  Could this be Indy's version of the snow plow guy?
    Posted by carawaydj

PMike will tell you that environmental conditions cannot be considered a benefit to one team or another because both must play in it. 

What is unsubstantiated is that the colts actually raised the heat in a way that made the conditions different.  But turning up heat in a 57,000 seat stadium when it is 20 degrees or less outside is much different than increasing the heat in your home where it is warmer 20 minutes later.  Besides, heat rises and it would be warmest 100 ft above field level, right?

As for Dungy, I never said he was sin-free and neither do I think would he.  But, as far as I know, he has never been accused of or caught videotaping against league rules, if that's what you mean.  accusing him of something without substatiation, however, is slanderous, not that you care.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

More on the heat manipulation.  This is a link to an independent blogger at the game.  The guy is a Colts fan.   http://digitalheadbutt.wordpress.com/2007/01/21/afc-championship-game-colts-vs-patriots-live-blog/ His comments: (I assume his mention of "the janitor" is lighthearted) 9:26 pm:  Interesting…it seems that Indy turned off the Air Conditioning in the RCA dome, and now it’s very hot and humid inside the stadium. This could have been a strategy by stadium maintenance crew. If Indy wins, somebody get a game ball to the janitor in section 109. The Janitor in Section 109:  It was his idea to turn of the A/C in the RCA Dome. This led to the stadium becoming hot and humid, which in turn led to the Pats defenders cramping up. If the temperature was normal, the defense would have been more fresh and not allowed 38 points for the Colts offense. Sometimes games are decide by people who have nothing to do with either team. Give credit to whoever turned off the air conditioner in the Dome.
    Posted by carawaydj

Again, this is January.  Not sure the AC is on.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

I'll say yes, this should be a great game. I think the Pats can go into Indy and come home with a 'W'.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

In Response to Re: What are NE's chances vs. Indy? : Jbolt, I dig the humor.  Disagree all you like.  Its just opinion, but you cannot be taken seriously by suggesting the AFC South is worse than the AFC West.
    Posted by underdogg

For once I'd have to agree with you. The very presence of the Raiders in anyone's division is enough to drag it to the bottom. Then as if to show a team could be even worse you add the Chiefs. As for last night's game I'm not sure whether it shows how good the Chargers are or how bad the Giants are. Denver is going to have it's work cut out for it tonight. I expect the Steelers to win. That leaves the West with the least amount of wins in the Conference and the South with the most. Simple math.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from boomerst3. Show boomerst3's posts

Pats chances are as good as the Colts.  Only wish we could get them at home once in a while.  They have had a pretty easy schedule, so maybe the Pats will crush them.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from boomerst3. Show boomerst3's posts

I think Indy is weak and benefiting form an easy schedule. If the dipshit kicker did not miss an easy FG, who knows what would have happened

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

In Response to Re: What are NE's chances vs. Indy? : PMike will tell you that environmental conditions cannot be considered a benefit to one team or another because both must play in it.  What is unsubstantiated is that the colts actually raised the heat in a way that made the conditions different.  But turning up heat in a 57,000 seat stadium when it is 20 degrees or less outside is much different than increasing the heat in your home where it is warmer 20 minutes later.  Besides, heat rises and it would be warmest 100 ft above field level, right? As for Dungy, I never said he was sin-free and neither do I think would he.  But, as far as I know, he has never been accused of or caught videotaping against league rules, if that's what you mean.  accusing him of something without substatiation, however, is slanderous, not that you care.
    Posted by underdogg

Dogg the spinmeister. You really should seek employment with nazi pelosi or the obama administration.You have the ability to take any given set of facts and manipulate them in such a way as to insure that your colts end up smelling like a rose.

True that "environmental conditions cannot be considered a benefit to one team or another because both must play in it."

However, the fact is that half of the pats team was suffering from the flu the week before that game. This is well known both now and at the time of the game. In such circumstances, they were obviously more vulnerable to the artifically increased temperature than the colts.

if you remember, in the first half then pats dominated, something like 21-0. In the second half, when the temperature by some accounts was upwards of eighty degrees, they wilted.

What exactly would you consider a "substantiated" evidence that the colts raised the temperature? You just read an eye witness account on this very thread. I've read dozens of such accounts. Do some research instead of just parroting the colts party line. What evidence do you have to impeach the accounts of those who were there? None, unless you were there.

You bring up spygate yet again. That's weak. how exactly does that relate to the dome temperature? 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

In Response to Re: What are NE's chances vs. Indy? : PMike will tell you that environmental conditions cannot be considered a benefit to one team or another because both must play in it.  
    Posted by underdogg

I know you are aware of acclimation?  While both teams have to play in it, it doesn't mean both teams are acclimated to it.  Kind of like when I worked in Kuwait back in 1997-1999.  The troops rotating through to watch our good buddy saddam would drop like flies from the heat the first few days.  A lot of heat exhaustion.  While nobody is suggesting the dome was 130 degrees, a lot of folks have said it was very very hot.  Anyway, that's not an excuse on my part.  It caught the Pats by surprise so I doubt they'll ever go there again in winter without practicing in heat.  I view it as a modern day version of the snow plow game.  Like I said though, no excuses from me.  We had chances to win and we didn't.  I look forward to the game next Sunday.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from realpatone. Show realpatone's posts

Unless they get more consistent in terms of punching it in in the Red Zone, not very good.

I have mixed feelings about this game....On the one hand, I feel that the D has the speed to neutralize and cover Clark, Wayne, et al...however that is tempered by the D's youth and inexperience.  If you are always trying to make a play on "make up" speed after getting burned or caught out of position, chances are you'll lose.

On offense, I have a question....what the hell happened to Chris Baker? During the preseason, he and Brady seemed to have good rapport....seems like he has been invisible ...although to be fair it may be a product of Ben Watson finally showing some measure of consistency.

I do think they can exploit the injuries in the Colts' secondary and will rack up big yards....but again they have to get TDs and not 3

My prediction? Pats 27 Colts 24 (but that is more from my heart than my head)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

In Response to Re: What are NE's chances vs. Indy? : Dogg the spinmeister. You really should seek employment with nazi pelosi or the obama administration.You have the ability to take any given set of facts and manipulate them in such a way as to insure that your colts end up smelling like a rose. True that "environmental conditions cannot be considered a benefit to one team or another because both must play in it." However, the fact is that half of the pats team was suffering from the flu the week before that game. This is well known both now and at the time of the game.
    half the team???  Really???  They didn't say that during the game.  Here's an article from the pats website.  It lists second stringers and Troy Brown as flu victims - 3 total

http://www.patriots.com/news/index.cfm?ac=generalnewsdetail&pid=23789&pcid=47

And you think I am the spinster.  LOL

In such circumstances, they were obviously more vulnerable to the artifically increased temperature than the colts. if you remember, in the first half then pats dominated, something like 21-0.
    Pats were up 21-3.  Then the colts ended the half with a long drive and FG (pats had kickoff and one down).  Then colts took the ball in the second and had a 7 minute drive for a td, then pats 3 and out, then colts another 3 minute drive for TD.  Pats D was on the field (barring HT rest) for like 15 of 16 minutes.  Had nothing to do with the flu - only one of the 3 was a defensive player.  Again facts issue on your part.

In the second half, when the temperature by some accounts was upwards of eighty degrees, they wilted. What exactly would you consider a "substantiated" evidence that the colts raised the temperature? You just read an eye witness account on this very thread.
    Maybe it was the increased body temp of all of those pats players with the flu that caused the heat to rise.  Also remember that heat rises.  Heat at the top of the dome (where the broadcasters were) is much hotter than at field level.

I've read dozens of such accounts. Do some research instead of just parroting the colts party line. What evidence do you have to impeach the accounts of those who were there? None, unless you were there.
    I'm not impeaching anyone, but the question is did the colts intentionally raise the temperature.  Assuming that they did is the whining of a fan whose team lost.  Don't ask me for proof.  Prove that they intentionally did it. 

You bring up spygate yet again. That's weak. how exactly does that relate to the dome temperature? 
    Posters who wish to qualify colts victories based on BS get BS back.  The difference is there are no facts on the claims against the colts, but there are re: the pats.  If posters don't want responding in kind then it would be best if they chose not to use the fallacious "colts cheat" arguement.  Want respect, give respect.

PS - I most enjoyed the post that suggested we would raise the humidity in the dome.  Yep, were manufacturing rain clouds in there. 
    Posted by unclealfie

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Hey, dogg.. lot's of gumption sparring with the Pats folks here.  Good to see you brought some home boys with ya this time.  If there is one factor that makes this game different than in prior years, it is the Colts who are coming in very nicked up on D while the Pats are relatively healthy.  Also, previously mentioned, the struggles against two teams in your dome who can't be considered equals to the Pats.  It shall be interesting.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Satan is back.................

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

In Response to Re: What are NE's chances vs. Indy? : I know you are aware of acclimation?  While both teams have to play in it, it doesn't mean both teams are acclimated to it.  Kind of like when I worked in Kuwait back in 1997-1999.  The troops rotating through to watch our good buddy saddam would drop like flies from the heat the first few days.  A lot of heat exhaustion.  While nobody is suggesting the dome was 130 degrees, a lot of folks have said it was very very hot.  Anyway, that's not an excuse on my part.  It caught the Pats by surprise so I doubt they'll ever go there again in winter without practicing in heat.  I view it as a modern day version of the snow plow game.  Like I said though, no excuses from me.  We had chances to win and we didn't.  I look forward to the game next Sunday.
    Posted by carawaydj

So all teams should be allowed to acclimate to the current team's climate?  should the colts then be allowed to acclimate to the weather before they play in Foxboro?  Seems the weather in foxboro changes more dramatically (up to 70 degrees or more) from the beginning to end of the season vs. the colts in the dome maybe 20 degree difference.  

Sections
Shortcuts