What are Patriot's Options After Mankins Signs Tender Offer?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

What are Patriot's Options After Mankins Signs Tender Offer?

Anyone know?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxfan36. Show soxfan36's posts

Re: What are Patriot's Options After Mankins Signs Tender Offer?

In Response to What are Patriot's Options After Mankins Signs Tender Offer?:
    [QUOTE]Anyone know?
    Posted by BubbaInHawaii[/QUOTE]

They could play him, sit him or waive him (not gonna happen). The trading deadline is passed so they can't trade him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In Response to Re: What are Patriot's Options After Mankins Signs Tender Offer?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to What are Patriot's Options After Mankins Signs Tender Offer? : They could play him, sit him or waive him (not gonna happen). The trading deadline is passed so they can't trade him.
    Posted by soxfan36[/QUOTE]

If they are not going to play him, why would Patriots let him take a roster spot?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Does anyone know what happens if they waive him? Do they get any compensatory picks from whoever picks him up? 

I suspect they keep Mankins and play him (he's better than any other guard they have and BB doesn't hold grudges--BB just does what's best for the team).  But if they decided not to play him--and it's clear they can't sign him--why would they hold on to him and pay him a salary?  Why not waive him (especially if they get compensatory picks)?  Is there any advantage to holding on to him if he's not playing since he'll just be a free agent and walk after the season anyway?

Who knows the collective bargaining agreement well enough to explain?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Mankins will play because it is the best for the team, egos are checked at the door.  now if he becomes a distraction in that locker room I expect him to get waived, rather loss him than having a cancer in that locker room. 

If they thought that was the case I don't think they would had offered him that tender, 1.54 mil I believe? 

He plays, don't know it will be against cleveland but against the Steelers he'll be in there.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Once he signs the tender, he must be put on the roster. He can be on the 53 man, but not on the game day 45 man. But he has a roster spot. The Pats can release him, or they could have traded him but the deadline is passed.
    I really feel that the Pats see him as an upgrade to what they have. I also feel that the Pats have seen enough to realize that Light, Neal and Koppen are on the last leg, and another strong attempt will be made to sign Mankins. If things work out, he will be the leader of the OL including Volmer, Connely, Kaczur and Mankins.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Phoenix125. Show Phoenix125's posts

I can not confirm that ESPN writer Adam Schefter is right, but this is a short quote of what the Patriot's can do.

"The only way the Patriots can restrict Mankins' free agency in 2011 would be to place a franchise tag on him in February at a considerably higher guaranteed value than the restricted contract tenders. A transition tag also would be available, but the Patriots would not receive any draft-pick compensation if he left and would have only right of first refusal on any contract the player signed with another team."

This all depends on the new CBA, of course.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from threejak. Show threejak's posts

Of course they will try and sign him for all the expressed reasons here and a few more starting with Pittsburgh....

If half the drama is true this whole thing has been silly....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jonbam. Show jonbam's posts

I have been against Mankins' stand but I feel that reporting 2 weeks early is a real good sign.  It may reopen a negotiation window.  I believe that Mankins' character will not allow him to just take a roster spot but will make him as competitive as ever.  I also believe that if no new contract is reached that the Patriots may well franchise (restricted) him for the next season.  It would protect their rights to him and keep their leverage on him regarding a new contract.  The franchise cost will also be much less than a new contract. 

I don't believe that the Pats would just release/waive him.  It would be just giving away a valuable asset.  A sign and trade deal may also be done.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChasaB. Show ChasaB's posts

i dont think he is going to be playing much. he has not played since last year, he has not practiced since last year.

its going to take a week to check his physical situation(is he in shape? is he ready to play) another week to get all the assignments and practicing in, and maybe by the third week he will be ready to play, but more then likely not start till the 4th week.