What are the Patriots doing?? RE: WR/Slot

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

What are the Patriots doing?? RE: WR/Slot

Why bring in to look at all these slot receivers?  They need a deep receiver.  Stop wasting time here and go after what they need to put them over the top.  Look, their offense is good, very good.  Just missing one, maybe two pieces of the puzzle.. deep ball and legit and proven RB.  At slot Wes is the best in the business, they need to be going after a deep threat.  If they pick up a slot wr and get some bogus deep threat then I will lose all faith in a SB victory next season. 

The only reason I can see them bring someone new into the slot position is to replace Edelman.  But still, I don't like how there is no word about bringing in a legit deep ball guy and all this focus on the slot. 

Wasn't the lack of the deep ball a legit and major concern after last season?  I sure thought so.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

Re: What are the Patriots doing?? RE: WR/Slot

They're planning for the future, and assisting the team in the now. Welker's franchise-tag is taking up a large part of the team's salary cap for this year, and based on how the WR has blown-up recently, re-signing Wes to a favorable deal after this season appears unlikely. 

Bringing in guys like Amendola could potentially allow Welker to be expendable, allowing the team to unload Wes, gain cap space, and have one less worry going into next offseason. 

As for Gonzalez, I personally view him as more of an 'outside-the-numbers' guy. He's 6 feet tall, and he has a long'ish frame, is good in open space, and has good speed, but is not too quick in small areas. 

Amendola is 5'11", but he has shorter arms and a smaller frame. More of a Welker type -- better in smaller areas.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

There is a possibility that BB doesn't think we "need" a deep threat as much as most think we do.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from manowar333. Show manowar333's posts

I've had the same thing in the back of my mind, which makes me wonder...   I've only seen Brady take a handful of deep shots since they let Moss go and I think most of them have been terribly off the mark.  I have to wonder if TB can legitimately still throw a long ball...  It was never really his strength to begin with...  Moss was just a freak who could either run under it or adjust in flight...  In their championship years, Patten, Branch and Givens weren't exactly downfield burners either...  I'm more concerened that even when guys do get deep (and they do) Brady seems more content to either play it safe with crossing routes or he's just dead set on forcing it in to Welker or the TE's.  Maybe something going on with the ever-present "shoulder" on the injury report or the elbow that's keeping him from chucking it down the field...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In Response to Re: What are the Patriots doing?? RE: WR/Slot:
    [QUOTE]There is a possibility that BB doesn't think we "need" a deep threat as much as most think we do.
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

Boy I hope not.  It has been a glaring weakness since Moss left.  I really hope BB isn't that arrogant to think they don't need a legit mid to long WR.  Sure, they have made it work but not good enough to win it all, and this has been proved.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]I've had the same thing in the back of my mind, which makes me wonder...   I've only seen Brady take a handful of deep shots since they let Moss go and I think most of them have been terribly off the mark.  I have to wonder if TB can legitimately still throw a long ball...  It was never really his strength to begin with...  Moss was just a freak who could either run under it or adjust in flight...  In their championship years, Patten, Branch and Givens weren't exactly downfield burners either...  I'm more concerened that even when guys do get deep (and they do) Brady seems more content to either play it safe with crossing routes or he's just dead set on forcing it in to Welker or the TE's.  Maybe something going on with the ever-present "shoulder" on the injury report or the elbow that's keeping him from chucking it down the field...
    Posted by manowar333[/QUOTE]

I hope not but it's very possible. But I'm sure Brady could get a few deep balls in during a game, making the D spread out and open up the short to middle field.  But to do this they need a legit deep threat, someone who the D has to respect deep.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In Response to What are the Patriots doing?? RE: WR/Slot:

[QUOTE]Why bring in to look at all these slot receivers?  They need a deep receiver.  Stop wasting time here and go after what they need to put them over the top.  ...Posted by TFB12[/QUOTE]

Who do you have in mind, the pickins are a bit slim right now? Jackson and Meachem and maybe Garcon were the big UFAs that fit the bill, so all that's left is Wallace and his price is going to be Jacksonian, plus a first rounder. He's not worth that.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wilforkfitinham. Show Wilforkfitinham's posts

I don't understand why they just don't sign Mario Williams and address the WR with the draft. We know Tom can utilize what we have now, and if there are some good WR's in the draft then roll the dice. Now it appears Williams will land in Buffalo and have a chance to get at Brady twice a year. Resign Welker, sign Williams, and get a draft WR. Maybe Ocho comes around, if not you got Hernandez, put him out there and let it all hang out.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Get Lloyd right now then, what are they waiting for?  They could have gone after Jackson, Meachem, Garcon even Moss on the cheap.  Wallace is out there still... make it work.  Seems other teams can do it, why not the Pats?  I'm pretty sure if they wanted anyone mention here bad enough they could have or can get them.

I see the huge money Wallace will demand and if they aren't willing to spend that type of cash then at the very least bring in Lloyd.  He fits the bill very well.  I hope they aren't counting on the draft to fill this need because the need is now, not 3 years from now.  Drafted WR's haven't worked out very well as of late.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DM-NH. Show DM-NH's posts

This is typica as BB going against conventional wisdom.  Almost everyone says Lloyd would be the ideal FA signing.  For that reason BB is going to try something different.  It's frustrating from a fans standpoint, but that is why he is paid the big bucks, and we are here posting our opinions.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE]Get Lloyd right now then, what are they waiting for?  They could have gone after Jackson, Meachem, Garcon even Moss on the cheap.  Wallace is out there still... make it work.  Seems other teams can do it, why not the Pats?  ...  

Posted by TFB12[/QUOTE]

I think Lloyd would be a good fit, although he's not a deep threat like Wallace or Jackson or even Meachem. But he's got to be looking at Garcon's deal and thinking he can get that or close. Problem is he's not worth it (neither is Garcon) and the Pats aren't going to pay that for him. So he'll have to wait. There's no need to rush, it doesn't look like anybody is beating down his door or else he would have signed already.  

As for Wallace, no way he's worth Jackson money PLUS a first round pick. Let someone else pay that price.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wilforkfitinham. Show Wilforkfitinham's posts

[QUOTE]  Drafted WR's haven't worked out very well as of late.  
    Posted by TFB12[/QUOTE]

I hear ya, but the WR market has done been blown way out of control over the past two days. Wish we had reacted sooner, but now everyone wants Megatron money. I was really hoping for Lloyd or Wallace, but now I know its out of the realm of possibilities with the money teams are raining on WR's.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mooney12. Show Mooney12's posts

maybe we already have a deep threat; tiquan underwood.

Sections
Shortcuts