What are we doing?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Re: What are we doing?

I hope we keep the guy but I don't want him holding us hostage with money.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In Response to Re: What are we doing?:
    [QUOTE]I hope we keep the guy but I don't want him holding us hostage with money.
    Posted by Philskiw1[/QUOTE]

The franchise tag is a two-edged sword that way.  If he signs it, he's guaranteed the money, even if he's traded away to another team (the other team has to pay it).  The only way teams get out of the tag once the player signs it is to negotiate something else the player would rather sign. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrbungle. Show mrbungle's posts

I think we all know that, deep down, the Patriots will probably do nothing and perhaps even let BJGE go. 

There isn't a one of us that wouldn't want Mario Williams, Mike Wallace in the fold. I admit, I have a sick feeling thinking about facing Mario Williams twice a year and praying Brady doesn't get hit by him. 

It's frustrating to watch the Patriots be totally unexciting during FA and the Draft but, somehow, we win. This is still a young team. We'll be alright. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

The other team could only offer up a second rounder as compensation. That's all negotiable I believe.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE]Muz-tard does it make you feel better to put others down? My post wasn't insulting in anyway ....stated the obvious ....guess tards such as yourself feel better when they go around insulting people ....get a woman...maybe you wont be such a tard

Posted by null[/QUOTE]

Well, let's just say I got 99 problems but a bi-tch aint one.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

In Response to Re: What are we doing?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What are we doing? : Vertigo, Null and Mt. Hurl are fully in favor of wild spending, knee jerk moves and support of Mazz, Gasper and Felger.  lol
    Posted by BassFishing[/QUOTE]

Could you please specifically reference where I lobbied for, "...wild spending, knee jerk moves and support of Mazz, Gasper and Felger."

Thanks.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

[QUOTE]You're all the same person.  This Null character is like a Chris Gasper, Mazz type.  Very dumb when it comes to budeting, fit for the player to bring here, etc. They don't get it. Muzwell responded, I agreed with Muzwell.  You pointed me out so this must mean you are in the Null/Mt. Hurl/Gasper/Mazz/Felger camp if you aren't liking Muzz's or my commenst. Mt. Turd has responded in 3 different threads mocking the idea of the concerns of spending and what the cap means.  Felger does this almost on a daily basis and Mazz/Gasper currently have columns dedicate to the concept, showing they still don't get it. Obviously, you have more of a problem with me agreeing with Muzz than you do to take the time to add a retort in to combat Null's premise here.  That means you agree with Null. Some of you are aparently VERY NEW to following the Belichick Patriots. VERY new.

Wow -- your logic is unbelieveably flawed. 

Evidentally you didn't read what you wrote. If you had you would have realized how ridiculous you sound.

Just because I disagree with your posting style doesn't mean I agree with the football opinions of those who you butt-heads with.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Okay Rusty......Take a deep breath!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Hey Rusty,

the only question I have is why do they always wait until FA starts before signing their own players? I'm not talking core guys, I'm talking about small fry's like Kout's who just resigned. He's a type of player that they could of resigned during the exclusive sign period with minimal affect to the cap. It just seems like a waste of time and resources to wait until FA starts to sign some of your own lesser tier FA's

Always gives off the image that they are draggin their feet waiting for the scraps after the initial push instead of targeting a player (doesn't have to be a big name just any FA) and hitting FA running, instead they are still scrambling trying to resign their own min value players at times.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What are we doing? : Wow -- your logic is unbelieveably flawed.  Evidentally you didn't read what you wrote. If you had you would have realized how ridiculous you sound. Just because I disagree with your posting style doesn't mean I agree with the football opinions of those who you butt-heads with.
    Posted by vertigho[/QUOTE]

Please. How many Capitalist Avenger threads do we need here?  Muzwell wrote exactly what I was thinking when I read another pointless, selfish/look at me type thread.

If he hadn't have said that, I or someone else would have. It took an hour for someone to be a drama queen when we know NE isn't going to make a big splash.

1. They aren't that far under the cap.
    2. Many other teams are and can spike the market trying to get up the cap floor by 2014.

Get it?

NE doesn't have a ton of leverage in terms of competing financially, regardless of what morons like Mazz write, so picking your spots are vital in this case.

Do you have any idea how jealous some of these teams are that we have two 1st and two 2nd rounders and about 10 million to play with? 

We may not be 50 million and under TB, but for a perennial playoff team that is about to become a juggernaut, it's pretty dran good. I don't need the next trendy name on a jersey to prove to me that BB knows what he's doing.

Grow up, kids. Read a book, get a grasp on this great, sustainable approach that BB uses and wake up. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

[QUOTE]Hey Rusty, the only question I have is why do they always wait until FA starts before signing their own players? I'm not talking core guys, I'm talking about small fry's like Kout's who just resigned. He's a type of player that they could of resigned during the exclusive sign period with minimal affect to the cap. It just seems like a waste of time and resources to wait until FA starts to sign some of your own lesser tier FA's Always gives off the image that they are draggin their feet waiting for the scraps after the initial push instead of targeting a player (doesn't have to be a big name just any FA) and hitting FA running, instead they are still scrambling trying to resign their own min value players at times.
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

Who is Kout?

To answer your question: I think they know the market so well, they maintain the leverage on their own FAs, so there is no need to do something quickly.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What are we doing? : Who is Kout? To answer your question: I think they know the market so well, they maintain the leverage on their own FAs, so there is no need to do something quickly.

lol exactly Niko Koutouvides. A decent STer, played in 8 games for the Pats. He's a min value guy. Hence no leverage gained. Just time spent on a min value guy a the opening of FA when it could of been taken care of 2-3 weeks ago

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE]...Always gives off the image that they are draggin their feet waiting for the scraps after the initial push instead of targeting a player (doesn't have to be a big name just any FA) and hitting FA running, instead they are still scrambling trying to resign their own min value players at times.

At the end of the day they generally get the guys they want signed. Maybe Kout's agent was dragging his feet hoping for a better offer once FA started. If he leaves, he leaves. He's a JAG. 

Free agency is a sucker bet. You pay premium prices for average guys and insane money for the best guys. Mario Williams will get QB money and he's just not worth it. Garcon got $42 mil, $21 mil guaranteed. That's just stupid money for an average player. VJax will probably get a lot more. Is that smart?

Who's to say they don't have several players targeted, but are just waiting for the price to drop? Which it always does.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What are we doing? : lol exactly Niko Koutouvides. A decent STer, played in 8 games for the Pats. He's a min value guy. Hence no leverage gained. Just time spent on a min value guy a the opening of FA when it could of been taken care of 2-3 weeks ago

I literally have no idea what you're talking about. Unless of course we just resigned Koukavides and they just announced that with you not getting an announcement of it AFTER FA opens doesn't mean that wasn't done before.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I just don't understand how all these teams are signing players...didn't they get the memo? They are all supposed to be in "salary cap hell". What gives here? The impending doom that is/was the uncertain labor strike is supposed to leave all these teams strapped for cash - no one is even supposed to be able to field a team this year.

Someone had better make a phone call...people are escaping from salary cap hell!! Call the cops!

Quick! Page, Matt Roth or Le Bodden before things get crazy. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What are we doing? : At the end of the day they generally get the guys they want signed. Maybe Kout's agent was dragging his feet hoping for a better offer once FA started. If he leaves, he leaves. He's a JAG.  Free agency is a sucker bet. You pay premium prices for average guys and insane money for the best guys. Mario Williams will get QB money and he's just not worth it. Garcon got $42 mil, $21 mil guaranteed. That's just stupid money for an average player. VJax will probably get a lot more. Is that smart? Who's to say they don't have several players targeted, but are just waiting for the price to drop? Which it always does.
    Posted by Muzwell[/QUOTE]

At the same time Muz, say they have Lloyd targeted. Royal, Gracon, and Morgan where signed by Skins and V Jax just got a huge contract. Lloyd's agent isn't an idiot he's going to see the WR market get thin real quick with massive contracts. Lloyds asking price just raised.

The opening of FA can go both ways, it can lower a players value or raise it depending on how it turns. It's bit them a number of times.

When prices tend to go down is in the secondary market after the draft. When teams generally have their rosters set or are releasing the second wave of vets (when we picked up Carter and Anderson). But for the most part you don't find Carter's and Anderson's in that second round of FA's. Most of the time you see reclamation projects, vets released, and injured players. The Pats general strike out more then hit on these types of players but buy in bulk so we tend to only notice the hits and not the misses.

I don't think we need big names but at the same time watching the better FA's leave the market so quick makes you take a step back. It's still early in FA and their are plenty of people left in my FA list so I'm not overly concerned but it doesn't give a good impression when this approach in the FA market over the last 5yrs or so hasn't resulted in the best FA acquisitions generally.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What are we doing? : Please. How many Capitalist Avenger threads do we need here?  Muzwell wrote exactly what I was thinking when I read another pointless, selfish/look at me type thread. If he hadn't have said that, I or someone else would have. It took an hour for someone to be a drama queen when we know NE isn't going to make a big splash. 1. They aren't that far under the cap. 2. Many other teams are and can spike the market trying to get up the cap floor by 2014. Get it? NE doesn't have a ton of leverage in terms of competing financially, regardless of what morons like Mazz write, so picking your spots are vital in this case. Do you have any idea how jealous some of these teams are that we have two 1st and two 2nd rounders and about 10 million to play with?  We may not be 50 million and under TB, but for a perennial playoff team that is about to become a juggernaut, it's pretty dran good. I don't need the next trendy name on a jersey to prove to me that BB knows what he's doing. Grow up, kids. Read a book, get a grasp on this great, sustainable approach that BB uses and wake up. 

I agree with you and Muzwell. Be patient, no need to rush in and overpay for anyone. Other teams are still making moves to free up cap space. Excellent 'value' still to be found. Kevin Boss was just released by the Raiders. He would make a great 2nd true TE, which frees Hernandez to freelance even more. Another thing to consider is that for every free agent being signed, that is one less roster spot that team has available, which means some other player is going to free up. Washington is in the process of signing 3 WRs, which means most likely all 3 of their starters last year (Anthony Armstrong, Santana Moss and Jabbar Gaffney) will be let go. They aso have Leonard Hankerson from Miami on their roster. I remember many people saying the Pats should take him in the draft. Patience, As the King (thats Elvis, not Rusty) once said, "Wise men say, only fools rush in..."

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What are we doing? : At the same time Muz, say they have Lloyd targeted. Royal, Gracon, and Morgan where signed by Skins and V Jax just got a huge contract. Lloyd's agent isn't an idiot he's going to see the WR market get thin real quick with massive contracts. Lloyds asking price just raised. The opening of FA can go both ways, it can lower a players value or raise it depending on how it turns. It's bit them a number of times. When prices tend to go down is in the secondary market after the draft. When teams generally have their rosters set or are releasing the second wave of vets (when we picked up Carter and Anderson). But for the most part you don't find Carter's and Anderson's in that second round of FA's. Most of the time you see reclamation projects, vets released, and injured players. The Pats general strike out more then hit on these types of players but buy in bulk so we tend to only notice the hits and not the misses. I don't think we need big names but at the same time watching the better FA's leave the market so quick makes you take a step back. It's still early in FA and their are plenty of people left in my FA list so I'm not overly concerned but it doesn't give a good impression when this approach in the FA market over the last 5yrs or so hasn't resulted in the best FA acquisitions generally.

Dude, do you really think NE doesn't know the teams with the massive cap space won't be immediately spending wildly and whatnot? Of course they do.

They know they can't compete with which is why it's fanfreakingtastic BB has 2 1sts and 2 2nds.

You do realize he can trade a draft pick to a team that needs to clear space, right?

Just watch and wait. His FA moves last year out of the lockout were genius. He had leverage and used it to his advantage.

The added picks will also help his case in maneuvering through the draft and FA yet again.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What are we doing? : I literally have no idea what you're talking about. Unless of course we just resigned Koukavides and they just announced that with you not getting an announcement of it AFTER FA opens doesn't mean that wasn't done before.

Rusty generally at this time of year word that a player getting signed gets out real quick. Unless the Pats were holding the signed papers and not turning them over to the league for one odd reason or another then the odds are he was signed after the FA market opened. But, yes it could be that he was signed and no one noticed until after the FA period started. BTW the Pats still haven't announced it yet. It came from a league source lol

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What are we doing? : Rusty generally at this time of year word that a player getting signed gets out real quick. Unless the Pats were holding the signed papers and not turning them over to the league for one odd reason or another then the odds are he was signed after the FA market opened. But, yes it could be that he was signed and no one noticed until after the FA period started. BTW the Pats still haven't announced it yet. It came from a league source lol

I heard earlier, they resigned Slater...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

I don't get your point.  I am sure that deal was done in-house very recently as part of their postseason assessments and they offered him the deal, he accepted, they chose to wait to announce/leak the news.

Who cares?

Koppen is testing the market, so is BJGE.  Each will probably leave.  They probably know this. 

I don't see why this should matter or how it ties to minor news of them re-upping a STs LB.  Koukavides is probably cheaper than Tracey White.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What are we doing? : Dude, do you really think NE doesn't know the teams with the massive cap space won't be immediately spending wildly and whatnot? Of course they do. They know they can't compete with which is why it's fanfreakingtastic BB has 2 1sts and 2 2nds. You do realize he can trade a draft pick to a team that needs to clear space, right? Just watch and wait. His FA moves last year out of the lockout were genius. He had leverage and used it to his advantage. The added picks will also help his case in maneuvering through the draft and FA yet again.

Again Rusty, I'm waiting to see what is going to happen I just wish they didn't wait until the last minute to sign their own FA's they want. I'm fine with letting the market balance itself out but on the same note I do feel sometimes they target players and wait to long. It's a gamble either way but their FA tactics over the last 5yrs haven't produced the best FA results so I do think they need to adjust their strategy a little. This weekend should be more telling but don't be shocked if by Friday you hear they signed 6 more of their min value FA's during this time period

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]I don't get your point.  I am sure that deal was done in-house very recently as part of their postseason assessments and they offered him the deal, he accepted, they chose to wait to announce/leak the news. Who cares? Koppen is testing the market, so is BJGE.  Each will probably leave.  They probably know this.  I don't see why this should matter or how it ties to minor news of them re-upping a STs LB.  Koukavides is probably cheaper than Tracey White.

What I am saying is that they had weeks to do these minor deals. As many teams have been resigning their min value FA's weeks leading up to today. Min value guys you either want or don't want there usually is no leverage so why wait until now? Just get the deal done early so you can concentrate on FA signings instead of using time and effort during the early FA period to resign your min value players

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What are we doing? : At the same time Muz, say they have Lloyd targeted. Royal, Gracon, and Morgan where signed by Skins and V Jax just got a huge contract. Lloyd's agent isn't an idiot he's going to see the WR market get thin real quick with massive contracts. Lloyds asking price just raised. The opening of FA can go both ways, it can lower a players value or raise it depending on how it turns...

So then Lloyd will go somewhere else. The Pats will move on to Plan B. By the way, we're all just assuming they want Lloyd, when we really have no idea whatsoever. 

It simply never makes sense to overpay. Lloyd was never going to sign a Pat-friendly deal just to play for McDaniels. He'd sign a market deal sure, but unless the Pats came out and blew him away with an offer, they were never going to sign him this quick. So he'll wait and see what his market is. It's a gamble for him too. What if nobody knocks on his door? 

Washington blew away Garcon. Would you be happy if the Pats did that with Lloyd? I wouldn't. Very few guys have signed so far, and those that have got stupid money.

So what it comes down to for me anyway, is do you want to win March 13 or do you want to have a team that can win 12 games +. I like their approach, it's cold, calculating and proven.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

Dude, they probably had him signed and others and just aren't ready to announce. Why do you care when they announce a signing like him and how do you know how their spending their time, etc?

Odd concerns, bro.

Even if they skip over a FA WR or whomever, keep in mind BB worked two trades prior to the draft in 2007 that changed the team that year. It's a process, not some race to get headlines on ESPN's page. Calm down.

Sections
Shortcuts