What are we doing?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

Re: What are we doing?

It amazes me that so called long time Pats fans create these threads every time free agency starts.  5 Super Bowl appearances in 11 years plus 3 of those being victories still aren't enough to convince some of you.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

In Response to Re: What are we doing?:
    [QUOTE]It amazes me that so called long time Pats fans create these threads every time free agency starts.  5 Super Bowl appearances in 11 years plus 3 of those being victories still aren't enough to convince some of you.
    Posted by DoNotSleepOnThePats[/QUOTE]

Yes....And another one will be started after the draft....."The draft....What were we doing!!!????"

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

I was thinking, it seems BB wants players that want to play for the Pats. If someone really wanted to play for the Pats, don't you think they would be willing to wait a few days to sign with them. And if they didn't REALLY want to play fot the Pats don't you think BB would rather not deal with them?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]It amazes me that so called long time Pats fans create these threads every time free agency starts.  5 Super Bowl appearances in 11 years plus 3 of those being victories still aren't enough to convince some of you.
    Posted by DoNotSleepOnThePats[/QUOTE]

It's called being a fan. We want the world and when we don't get the world we find the flaws to fix why we didn't get the world. We want to fix the flaws with the best possible outcome. When we see the best outcomes disappearing then natural frustration takes holds and you get threads like these, it's only natural.

Also for the Pats the same problems have plagued them year in and year out (not a diverse enough O in the playoffs, lack of a consistent pass rush, lack of consistent plays/coverage in the secondary, and inability to close out big games on both sides of the ball). It's only natural to think if the same problems are persistent from year to year that the current approach isn't functioning as intended. Also as Laz pointed out it's been noticed then when the Pats were aggressive in FA is when they made it to the SB. The years they took a more passive approach to FA are the years they either didn't make the playoffs or were knocked out quickly in the playoffs. It's a good debate as fans to have whether being passive or aggressive is the better route to take but until everything is absolutely perfect someone will always find something to complain about

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]I was thinking, it seems BB wants players that want to play for the Pats. If someone really wanted to play for the Pats, don't you think they would be willing to wait a few days to sign with them. And if they didn't REALLY want to play fot the Pats don't you think BB would rather not deal with them?
    Posted by rtuinila[/QUOTE]

That makes logical sense but that's also a dbl edged sword. Sometimes the best players just want to play. If you wait around for only players willing to wait for you then you can miss out on players that can really help improve the team. BB treats players cold and like a business so why wouldn't he expect the same from players back? In the end it's a business and even if the players want to play for a team if they have other options they will take them for the security. The players that are willing to wait are usually the lower tier players that it doesn't matter if they wait or not the offer will remain the same or the players that no other teams want or the players that are at the back ends of their career or the players the need to rehab from injury/off-field concerns/lack of performance in order cash in next year. Sometimes that works out (Rodney, Carter, Anderson, Waters) and sometimes it doesn't (Ellis, Page, Brown, Starks, Galloway, Holt) but for the most part it's extremely rare you will ever get an impact player using this method. It just puts more pressure to find an impact player in the draft

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

The Pats seem to always not jump in at the first bell.  They let the high priced guys go and let teams that feed into that frenzy, feed and burn cap.  They then come in and make a few signing, mostly their own players that they covet, plus a few other pieces.  Sometimes it is a marquis player on a bargain, or a long shot on someone they think they can turn around.  With all this cap space, I would not count them out as making some big moves in free agency still.

I haven't seen us lose anybody yet, so if the priority is our own guys, they are letting the market set for them then they will match.  I could see Connolly returning soon along with Anderson, maybe Carter and Slater.  BJGE is a longer shot because he could get paid somewhere else.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE]...,I would rather have Lloyd or Jaffney as an option than waste money and a pick to acquire a guy who would eat up a large part of the cap.

Posted by sportsbozo1[/QUOTE]

Why do people think Lloyd will come cheap? He (and his agent) see the money guys like Garcon, who he's better than, are getting. Don't you think he wants that?  There seems to be this assumption that he'll take less because he likes McDaniels. I don't know where that comes from, but it doesn't make much sense. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I have a confession to make:  I just read every post in this thread and my hair hurts.  I'm as big a fan as the next guy; he11 I've been a fan since the franchise was formed (yes, as a matter of fact I am 98 fri-ggin years old, well not quite).  What I have seen coming out of Foxboro since the Kraft/Belichick alliance formed is nothing short of remarkable.  This team competes for the S/B year in and year out and was in the mix even when TB went down in 2008.  How did that come to be?  Kraft and BB are of one mind on how to approach the whole team building process and it has worked and worked well.  Perfect? Nothing involving humans ever is.  But it is the most impressive thing I've seen since the days of the Auerbach/Russell dynasty and in a the free agency era to boot. 

In answer to the original question:  What are we doing?  The Pats are doing what they always do under Kraft/BB: surveying the market, looking for value and building one impressive franchise operation in the process.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Notice that the Steelers, Giants, and Ravens haven't really done anything either. I don't think it is a coincidence that all the perennial contenders sit out the first wave of free agency. 

I fully expect the Patriots to make 8-10 mid-level free agent signings at RB, C, WR, TE, DL, LB, and DB.  Many of these could very well be our own FA's, but I'd be surprised if we didn't come away with a good number of new faces.  The Patriots generally like to go into the draft in a position where they can take the best available players, I don't think this year will be any different.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

[QUOTE]Notice that the Steelers, Giants, and Ravens haven't really done anything either. I don't think it is a coincidence that all the perennial contenders sit out the first wave of free agency. 
    Posted by titletownfan[/QUOTE]

Exactly!  You build through the draft and fill the remaining pieces with free agency.  Look at what the Eagles did in FA last year and how that turned out.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

[QUOTE]I have a confession to make:  I just read every post in this thread and my hair hurts.  I'm as big a fan as the next guy; he11 I've been a fan since the franchise was formed (yes, as a matter of fact I am 98 fri-ggin years old, well not quite).  What I have seen coming out of Foxboro since the Kraft/Belichick alliance formed is nothing short of remarkable.  This team competes for the S/B year in and year out and was in the mix even when TB went down in 2008.  How did that come to be?  Kraft and BB are of one mind on how to approach the whole team building process and it has worked and worked well.  Perfect? Nothing involving humans ever is.  But it is the most impressive thing I've seen since the days of the Auerbach/Russell dynasty and in a the free agency era to boot.  In answer to the original question:  What are we doing?  The Pats are doing what they always do under Kraft/BB: surveying the market, looking for value and building one impressive franchise operation in the process.
    Posted by ATJ[/QUOTE]

Me too.

I also can't help but think about the massive high dollar free agent signings by the "Dream Team" Philadelphia Eagles.  How did that work out?

If Buffalo wants to give 80 Killgillian Dollars to Mario let em.  They'll still be Buffalo just like the Jests will always be the Jests.  

You could probably have paid off the National Debt with the amount of money Snyder has spend on "Stars" over the past few years and they still suck.  

And Chicago with Peppers a few years ago and so on and so on and so on and so on. . .  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChasaB. Show ChasaB's posts

I find it funny that every year this happens:

find out a bunch of good players are FA's

FF patriots Gms: "Oh well we are signing ALL of those guys, they will take low deals to play for the pats"

none of those FA's sign with the pats

FF Patriots GMS: "WhatTheFudge ARE WE DOINGGGGGGGGGGGG get the life boats"

The way these forums were lighting up post superbowl you half expected our roster this year to be:

wayne, lloyd, welker, and wallace as our WR

Mario williams, brandon carr, darius webb, coming over for defense.

Peyton manning was going to be our Backup QB. Arian foster our running back, and oh yeah we were going to draft the top prospects in this years draft.

We have alot of VERY optimistic fans and every year its the same thing. i just kind of find it hilarious.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What are we doing? : Me too. I also can't help but think about the massive high dollar free agent signings by the "Dream Team" Philadelphia Eagles.  How did that work out? If Buffalo wants to give 80 Killgillian Dollars to Mario let em.  They'll still be Buffalo just like the Jests will always be the Jests.   You could probably have paid off the National Debt with the amount of money Snyder has spend on "Stars" over the past few years and they still suck.   And Chicago with Peppers a few years ago and so on and so on and so on and so on. . .  
    Posted by NCPatsFan1971[/QUOTE]

They don't get it. You're wasting your time with the video game fanatics.  They don't get philosphy and economics enough to understand it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

[QUOTE]lol her allergies trump the Bengal unfortunately, Laz. No matter how much I would love to get one there are certain things my GF does that I'm not willing to give up for a Bengal
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

Lmao- AWE-some...  So long as you follow the: 1st come, 1st serve basis here.  Ya gots the awesome hybrid cat first, then the sex kitten comes along...?  A: Sex kitten's gotta make do...it'd be entirely unfair to abandon the first feline.  Blazing hottie in the mix first, while you ponder the positives of domesticated animal ownership...?  A: IF it ain't a positive for the blazing chica, it's an absolute & final no-go. 

Actually, the only place this really doesn't work is through the "doubling-up" contingent scenario...  Thus: 2 cats...and even if one's just a bit of'a better pet than the other, it'd be sorta unfair to abandon EITHER of them... 
    However...for some strange reason you're almost FORCED into making that final and always immediately impulsive choice when confronted with the same occurence between 2 of that other species of animal...  Life's sorta unjustly uneven like that, ya know?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]Notice that the Steelers, Giants, and Ravens haven't really done anything either. I don't think it is a coincidence that all the perennial contenders sit out the first wave of free agency.  I fully expect the Patriots to make 8-10 mid-level free agent signings at RB, C, WR, TE, DL, LB, and DB.  Many of these could very well be our own FA's, but I'd be surprised if we didn't come away with a good number of new faces.  The Patriots generally like to go into the draft in a position where they can take the best available players, I don't think this year will be any different.  
    Posted by titletownfan[/QUOTE]

Well that might be because all those three teams combined don't have the amount of cap space the Pats have. Actually Steelers and Balt are still cutting players trying to make room for their own FA's lol

That might be why if we wanted a Wallace (I don't) or Webb (I do) then it's a good chance they wouldn't be able to match

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What are we doing? : Lmao- AWE-some...  So long as you follow the: 1st come, 1st serve basis here.  Ya gots the awesome hybrid cat first, then the sex kitten comes along...?  A: Sex kitten's gotta make do...it'd be entirely unfair to abandon the first feline.  Blazing hottie in the mix first, while you ponder the positives of domesticated animal ownership...?  A: IF it ain't a positive for the blazing chica, it's an absolute & final no-go.  Actually, the only place this really doesn't work is through the "doubling-up" contingent scenario...  Thus: 2 cats...and even if one's just a bit of'a better pet than the other, it'd be sorta unfair to abandon EITHER of them...  However...for some strange reason you're almost FORCED into making that final and always immediately impulsive choice when confronted with the same occurence between 2 of that other species of animal...  Life's sorta unjustly uneven like that, ya know?
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium[/QUOTE]

Yeah life is unjust but if that's your biggest worry then you have no problems my friend, lol

I will say, if it doesn't work out for me and my girl then just from compulsion and wanting to fill the void I won't be able to prevent myself from getting one within the first month

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from raa5150. Show raa5150's posts

They need a GM, Bill should stick to coaching. He is going to waste Brady's last few years. Pretty depressing.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE]They need a GM, Bill should stick to coaching. He is going to waste Brady's last few years. Pretty depressing.

Posted by raa5150[/QUOTE]

Yeah, probably just another depressing 13-3 Super Bowl contending season next year. It's like Groundhog Day rooting for the Pats. We should just switch to a team that understands it's all about what you do in March, like the Bucs or Redskins. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

OK, so now that we are 5 days into the league year, and the Pats have once again avoided the initial feeding frenzy in the free agency market, how would you rate the moves so far?

1. Resigned 3 of their own key special team players in Slater, White and Koutouvides.
    2. Signed DT/DE Johnathan Fanene, a player who can play inside or outside on the DL.
    3. Signed Safety Steve Gregory, who looks mostly to add depth at that position.
    4. Resigned OL Dan Connolly, helping solidify that group.
    5. Signed DL Marcus Harrison, a relative unknown due to knee issues.
    6. Signed WR Anthony Gonzales. Guy has been injured for most of the past 3 years, must have got him very cheap.
    7. Signed DE/OLB Trevor Scott, who had an ACL injury in 2010. Reports say if healthy he will be a very good fit in the Pats system. Adds more depth if nothing else.
    8. Signed WR Brandon Lloyd, and at a very reasonable price. 3 years $12 million, 30 years old and suppossedly knows the offense. 33 year old Reggie Wayne got $17.5 million from Indy.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Overall, it's a very nice job.  They need more on defense still, but the draft is ahead and there's more time in free agency.  While I suspect they'll be trying to get DBs and DE/OLB types in the draft, I wouldn't be surprised to also see them try to further strengthen the WR and OL positions or go for a bigger DT/NT type defensive lineman.  TE and RB could also sneak in if there's value, though I'd suspect to see these picked up lower in the draft or in later free agency since we're looking more for depth than starters there I think (I'm assuming that Ridley is going to eventually become our starting running back, though of course that's not certain). 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from theshinez. Show theshinez's posts

I'm actually pretty impressed with our FA signings now after Lloyd got signed.   I would have LOVED Mario, but not at that $$ he got.  he obviously is looking for the cash instead of winning.  Hopefully we can keep it up, keep BOTH 1st rounders unless we trade up and pick up a stud DE/OLB and/or CB. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE]... 8. Signed WR Brandon Lloyd, and at a very reasonable price. 3 years $12 million, 30 years old and suppossedly knows the offense. 33 year old Reggie Wayne got $17.5 million from Indy.

Posted by BostonSportsFan111[/QUOTE]

How crazy is it that they got Lloyd for $12 mil over 3 years and Jax is paying Laurent Robinson $11 mil this year alone!?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What are we doing? : How crazy is it that they got Lloyd for $12 mil over 3 years and Jax is paying Laurent Robinson $11 mil this year alone!?
    Posted by Muzwell[/QUOTE]

Great value with Lloyd.  What's nice is they have cap room to bring in a lot of decent guys still.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What are we doing? : Great value with Lloyd.  What's nice is they have cap room to bring in a lot of decent guys still.  

Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE]

Yes, and everybody wants to say that Lloyd had one great year, which is true. He led the NFL in receiving yards in 2010. But he's had several other years where he was at least a contributor, including 2011 playing on two disfunctional passing teams, 70 catches, 966 yards and 5 TDs.

Now look at Robinson. He had one year where he was even relevant. 54 catches, 858 yards last year, that's his high water mark. He has 1,800 career yards. Lloyd had 1,400 in one year.

Pierre Garcon just got $42 mil of Dan Snyder's money, half of that guaranteed, and he had almost an identical year to Lloyd last year: 70/947/6.

Yeah, BB is a lousy GM...what a joke that is.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

[QUOTE]OK, so now that we are 5 days into the league year, and the Pats have once again avoided the initial feeding frenzy in the free agency market, how would you rate the moves so far? 1. Resigned 3 of their own key special team players in Slater, White and Koutouvides. 2. Signed DT/DE Johnathan Fanene, a player who can play inside or outside on the DL. 3. Signed Safety Steve Gregory, who looks mostly to add depth at that position. 4. Resigned OL Dan Connolly, helping solidify that group. 5. Signed DL Marcus Harrison, a relative unknown due to knee issues. 6. Signed WR Anthony Gonzales. Guy has been injured for most of the past 3 years, must have got him very cheap. 7. Signed DE/OLB Trevor Scott, who had an ACL injury in 2010. Reports say if healthy he will be a very good fit in the Pats system. Adds more depth if nothing else. 8. Signed WR Brandon Lloyd, and at a very reasonable price. 3 years $12 million, 30 years old and suppossedly knows the offense. 33 year old Reggie Wayne got $17.5 million from Indy.
    Posted by BostonSportsFan111[/QUOTE]

Very good job by the BB/Caserio/Reese trio so far.  It's actually hiaraious going back and reading this thread.   It's just fascinating.  I don't know why some choose to make absolute fools of themselves.