What better way to secretly revamp your offense than to change your system...?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

What better way to secretly revamp your offense than to change your system...?

Board ponder this one...

so yes ...Changing your system requires a new school of thought, new playbooks, new handouts new code words....  All that stuff.

But if you go through that exercise in your organization.  You are just changing paperwork and classtime.  If your new system is easier to teach  (i.e. new receivers) then maybe your time spent will be cut by whatever time you waste trying to teach your new guys the old system.

So you bite the bullet choose a new system and Put it in.  Maybe it gives new flexibility in areas you are trying to emphasize in your new game plans.  Maybe it simplifies communication .

In any event it is different.

So day 1, week 1.  Are you not better off going against any defense in the league that now doesnt have a book on you ...?   Are you not instantly less predictable and more of a mystery when you come out barking different terminology...?

And finally will it not free up an entire new set of possibilites for your stale offense....?

Please discuss.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: What better way to secretly revamp your offense than to change your system...?

I think the Pats could use better talent.  I just don't think offensive philosophy, play design, game planning, or play calling are big problems.  The real issue is the lack of premier talent on both offense and defense.  A large reason for that lack of talent was injury, so the problem isn't necessarily player personnel decisions.  I will, however, repeat what I've been saying for years-- that the Pats' philosophy, which emphasizes team over individual and value over top talent, has its downsides as well as its upsides.  The upside is that it produces a team where the players complement each other well, that has sufficient depth and is very flexible and adaptable when injury or other changes occur, and that can be consistently good year after year.  The downside is that it often lacks enough of the elite talent championship teams usually require and sometimes has very significant holes in the talent in certain units. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Re: What better way to secretly revamp your offense than to change your system...?

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think the Pats could use better talent.  I just don't think offensive philosophy, play design, game planning, or play calling are big problems.  The real issue is the lack of premier talent on both offense and defense.  A large reason for that lack of talent was injury, so the problem isn't necessarily player personnel decisions.  I will, however, repeat what I've been saying for years-- that the Pats' philosophy, which emphasizes team over individual and value over top talent, has its downsides as well as its upsides.  The upside is that it produces a team where the players complement each other well, that has sufficient depth and is very flexible and adaptable when injury or other changes occur, and that can be consistently good year after year.  The downside is that it often lacks enough of the elite talent championship teams usually require and sometimes has very significant holes in the talent in certain units. 

[/QUOTE]

I get what you are saying but try and answer the questions posed in the OP.  Why is this team stuck with a football system written in the 1980's.   Hasn't the game changed enough that a new system is necessary.  On top of that, change in itself is beneficial which is the point Im trying to get at...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Board ponder this one...

so yes ...Changing your system requires a new school of thought, new playbooks, new handouts new code words....  All that stuff.

But if you go through that exercise in your organization.  You are just changing paperwork and classtime.  If your new system is easier to teach  (i.e. new receivers) then maybe your time spent will be cut by whatever time you waste trying to teach your new guys the old system.

So you bite the bullet choose a new system and Put it in.  Maybe it gives new flexibility in areas you are trying to emphasize in your new game plans.  Maybe it simplifies communication .

In any event it is different.

So day 1, week 1.  Are you not better off going against any defense in the league that now doesnt have a book on you ...?   Are you not instantly less predictable and more of a mystery when you come out barking different terminology...?

And finally will it not free up an entire new set of possibilites for your stale offense....?

Please discuss.

[/QUOTE]

Only thing I will say is we all know Brady has been in the same system since he got here. Sure there have been tweeks but its the same. Thats usually good because it means he knows where everyone is supposed to be. Like you said, maybe the other guys dont so it may make sense to ALL learn a new system together. I like that Brady knows the offense but im sure the rest of the league does too. Thats the issue I have with it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I get what you are saying but try and answer the questions posed in the OP.  Why is this team stuck with a football system written in the 1980's.   Hasn't the game changed enough that a new system is necessary.  On top of that, change in itself is beneficial which is the point Im trying to get at...

[/QUOTE]

I can't say I'm an expert on what makes "systems" in the NFL.  My understanding is that the basics of a system are really terminology.  I'm not sure how much you're confined by the terminology you use though.  I think you can evolve the philosophy and change the play designs without changing all the terminology you use.  If I'm right about what a "system" really is--terminology--I don't see a great deal of need to change it up.  

As far as concepts and play design, I think the Pats have been quite variable over the years.  Bill O'Brien's 2010 offense was very different from his 2011 and very different from Josh's 2012.  This year was something new again.  I just don't see a lot of "stale" play design from this team. But maybe someone with more refined and sophisticated knowledge of NFL offenses would tell me differently.  But I just need more concrete examples of what you think the problem is to comment.  As I see it, this is an offense that has been quite variable and that adjusts frequently both to the players it has and to the opponents it faces.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from HomerHead. Show HomerHead's posts

Change the offense to the wildcat offense.  That is why we kept Edelman.  He could even pass it to himself.  Thank you Belichick!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats-bilbo. Show Pats-bilbo's posts

I don't think that the system has to change. I think the main philosophy of "Do your job" needs to change a bit. We have become technicians and experts at the play or design of the play... we need to have some free lancing... some passion ... some emotion. Football is not just about the X's and O's or countering the opponent... It is hard hitting play all out agression. BB's style is to take emotion out of it and Just do your job. 

This is fine in the regular season and maybe first round of playoffs. When you start playing against elite competition, they too are good at the technical stuff. The difference becomes breaks, penelties and passion. 

The Pats of the early 2000's had an attitude. You don't come into our house and intimidate us we will beat you up. They had Harrison hitting the guy with all his strength.... McGinnis always came up with the big play and Bruschie played after having a stroke and excelled. They had passion, they played with it and they showed it.

2007 was about telling the media and everyone to shove it. Unfortunately they forgot about passion in the super bowl. The emotion had run out and yet they still almost won the game.

Get the attitude right on the team and we can stop with all the BS about which play to call or the coaches or all that BS.

We need some hard hitting MF's that take over the game and have attitude. To get that BB has to let go a bit and allow emotion into the players and that makes things a little more unpredictable. BB does not like to be unpredictable.... but we need this edge to win in the post season.

Couple emotion, skill and coaching and the team can win. Seattle did this and won the superbowl, they played with emotion, they did it their way!!!!

If pats need anything they need to regain this edge...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Fully understand your thoughts but I do not think they have been the same. Heck they were different in each half of this season.  As another said some years they passed a lot some they ran a lot.

i also believe that every team has the same plays. Some use them according to their opponent  so as to exploit the other teams weakness and some use the same ones no matter who they play Because they see their strengths as better than what any team brings to the game.

sometimes one works and sometimes the other.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Add a Center and TE and our offense is fine the way it is.

Sections
Shortcuts