What Brady really did in 42&46.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Re: What Brady really did in 42&46.

Dang, given how close the coverage is when Welker is at the 38 (even #21 is in position to cover him), it's a miracle that Brady was even able to see that there would be a hole in the coverage.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to UD6's comment:

In response to ccsjl's comment:

In response to 42AND46's comment:

In response to ccsjl's comment:

Face it good throw to Welker last year and Pats had ring #4

no game comes down to one play, no matter how significant

Oh yeah right...Seems to me SB 36 and 38 came down to 1 FG as time expired

Not true - an entire game of plays led to that final play, without everything before it, those FG's as important as they were, never would have happened.

thanks...his response was so dumb i wasn't gonna bother

but that response shows u how seriously we should take everything else he says

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to shenanigan's comment:

In response to TFB12's comment:

In response to glenr's comment:

Just remember that Babe's man love for Brady excuses him from everything and blames everyone else.

I'm as big a Brady fan as the next Brady fan but come on, its just plain ignorant to defend something that is wrong.  I don't wear rose colored glasses when it comes to facts.  No matter if I am a fan or not, I will tell it like it is. Sometimes it sucks and hurts a tad bit but being a fan doesn't mean I should ignore the facts.

I'd say your as big a Welker fan as everybody since you've started a million pay Welker threads and you are wearing Welker colored glasses.  Really, outside of this board it is not a debate.  Go back to the coverage after the SB and it was reported as a drop by every news source.  That it now its known.  

I've never heard of a QB getting blame for a pass that hits a receiver in the hands.  Should we start blaming Montana for a bad pass on "the catch" since Clark had to jump for the pass that he barely got on his hands?  Ludicrous

that was actually a perfect pass where-as montana said-only his guy can catch it and he was at the back of the endzone so he had to throw it over the defenders

montana=the best

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

All you people who are going off the pop warner notion of if you can touch it you can catch it, it just isn't the case when you have to make adjustments like Welker did.

More nonsense. Nobody is sating you should catch it if you can merely get both hands on it. But if it hits them both square and you just drop it, then yes.

Nobody has said it was an easy catch, but he should have caught it just as he himself said he should. Even Collinsworth on the spot who was a pretty good WR himself said that flat out.

You can huff and puff and blow the house down until the cows come home, but history has and will evermore look at that as a drop that probably lost the SB.

Look, Welker is probably my next favorite player after Brady. And say whatever you want about Brady on the play but it's no more than an incompletion on him so I'm not needing to defend him on this. But Wes dropped a ball he should have caught. From every standard I know about this game in about a half century of being a fan I know this to be flat out true. I would say exactly the same thing about any receiver/QB pair on the exact same play.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to themightypatriots' comment:

Ok TFB12, you're the picture man, we need some pictures to settle this, lol.  All 22 Cam is the best way to go but we can extract the info we need from this youtube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT6XziIQ5RI

The moment when Brady decides to throw is toward the end of 0:01 when Welker is at about the 38 yard line.  Can you get a screenshot of this?

You can see the same moment from a different angel focusing on Welker at the 38 yard line at 0:08.  Another screenshot please?

Even if you can't, look at the coverage at 0:08 when Welker is at the 38 yard line. Giants #26 is just as far down the field as Welker, keeping pace with him, and he is a yard or two to the inside of Welker.  This is what Brady sees when he is making the decision to throw.  A defender stride for stride with Welker but to his inside.  So Brady threw it outside.  Seriously what is there to argue?

Lots to comment on this one. 

1.  So in the first angle you clearly see that brady is setting up and starts to let the ball go just as branch plants his route and turns around.  Can we agree on that?

2.  On the 2nd angle when Branch does what I said in #1,  the outside corner back covering Branch is continuing to go back as Branch does his plant and turn.  So at this point Brady has already determined where the ball is going because he is just about to release the ball or has just released the ball.  He didn't know the Outside CB was going to stop for a split second, had the CB not hesitated for that split second he would have picked off or batted down the outside shoulder throw.  So that was a bad read right there,  TFB got lucky the CB did stop for a split second before turning upfield.

3.  Again, on the 2nd angle, if you agree with #1 then notice where #26 is when Brady releases the ball.  Welker is pulling away from #26 and #21 just enters the picture and takes the angle to make a tackle on Welker as if it is going to be an inside shoulder pass.

4.  As Welker is running his route he clearly sees the outside CB running with him, Welker turns his head and looks for the ball on the inside, perfect route as he had no idea the outside CB was going to make that split second hesitation.  

I don't care what Defense the Giants were running on this play, you run your route according to what the defenders do and Welker did that.  He ran the correct route, too bad the pass wasn't where it was supposed to be.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

"Points scored" counts for something as well right, that's important...?

Just as important as the number of drives you have.

The Pats got the ball 9 times in last years Super Bowl.  The Giants had the ball 9 times, one of which was a kneel down before the half so technically they had the ball 8 times.  The Pats turned it over twice.  That was the game.  This number of possessions stuff is baloney.

Bump...

Babe, Pezz, Prolate or any others who believe in the number of possession BS that's been floating around here... sorry, that you've all perpetuated.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201202050nwe.htm

Here's the box score above with the play by play chart, feel free to count the number of possessions just like I did.  The Giant's actually had one less possession if you take away the kneel down before the half.  The difference in the game was two turnovers by the Pats.  

Points scored, point against and turnovers... the only stats that matter.

Game over.

It was essentially an eight possession game.  Technically both teams had nine possessions, but one for the Giants was a kneel down at the end of the first half and one for the Pats was an end-of-game drive where they got the ball with less than a minute left. 

Remember, the average in the NFL is 11 or 12 drives per team. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Brady is one of the greatest, those games were lost due to some bad luck to the D.  Oh, and the coaches got out coached.  Only putting up 17 and 14 points wasn't because Brady was bad, it was the game plans that were bad.

For TFB to lead that team to so many victories despite bad defenses shows how great he is.  Those people saying his SB have diminished are just haters. 

Agree 100%. Glad I didnt have to read the rest of this agenda driven thread before finding a reasonable reply! Brady is the best in the game. Obriens pass heavy game plan that lead to 17 points, 2 turnovers and 3 drives that lasted less then 3 minutes of total T.O.P was not good.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

In response to ccnsd's comment:

Jackie Smith was a heck of a reciever also but he is primarily remembered for the drop in the super bowl, lets just hope Welker is remembered for his super bowl MVPs and nothing else.

You have to be kidding me!  Jackie Smith was standing in the end zone and the pass was right to his numbers.  How could you even compare this to Wes Welker who wasn't in the end zone, he was what 20 something yards away from the end zone, Welker facing inside, the pass was outside, Welker had to turn back around will turning  180 degrees in the air going the opposite way the ball was going, plus the pass was way high.  You need to watch this again.  I just did in order to describe it yet again. 

Unreal! It's amazing how much disrespect Welker gets here.  When the Patriots were talking contract there you same people were saying Welker was old and time for him to go, that Edelman can take his place.  WOW!   How would that have worked out this season.  Welker is older yet produces more and stays the healthiest.  You people are insane.

I know I am right because this is about the 500th thread that has sunk to the blame game on that drop/bad pass play. This play will be talked about in New England until Welker wins a super bowl with the Pats. Don't deny it or otherwise you would not get so offended so easily about this subject. You were once Brady to Moss, not Brady to Welker.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

Jackie Smith was a heck of a reciever also but he is primarily remembered for the drop in the super bowl, lets just hope Welker is remembered for his super bowl MVPs and nothing else.

You have to be kidding me!  Jackie Smith was standing in the end zone and the pass was right to his numbers.  How could you even compare this to Wes Welker who wasn't in the end zone, he was what 20 something yards away from the end zone, Welker facing inside, the pass was outside, Welker had to turn back around will turning  180 degrees in the air going the opposite way the ball was going, plus the pass was way high.  You need to watch this again.  I just did in order to describe it yet again. 

Unreal! It's amazing how much disrespect Welker gets here.  When the Patriots were talking contract there you same people were saying Welker was old and time for him to go, that Edelman can take his place.  WOW!   How would that have worked out this season.  Welker is older yet produces more and stays the healthiest.  You people are insane.

I know I am right because this is about the 500th thread that has sunk to the blame game on that drop/bad pass play. This play will be talked about in New England until Welker wins a super bowl with the Pats. Don't deny it or otherwise you would not get so offended so easily about this subject. You were once Brady to Moss, not Brady to Welker.

The difference is that the drop in the end zone is what Jackie Smith is remember for by all football fans. I think it is only Patriots fans who look at the Welker catch as his defining moment. You do not see the national football press refer back to it when they talk about Wes anymore.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Giant'nd converting first downs or it's not... In response to BabeParilli's comment:

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

"Points scored" counts for something as well right, that's important...?

Just as important as the number of drives you have.

The Pats got the ball 9 times in last years Super Bowl.  The Giants had the ball 9 times, one of which was a kneel down before the half so technically they had the ball 8 times.  The Pats turned it over twice.  That was the game.  This number of possessions stuff is baloney.

The Giants didn't think the number of possessions was baloney.

As a matter of fact I'm shocked a run guy like you can even be saying this. It is football 101 going way back in the NFL that "ball control" is the remedy to the other guy having a high powered offense.

The difference in time of possession was nominal, there were 9 possessions for the Pats and 8 for the Giants,  the only difference for both teams was turnovers. 

You love to point out that the Pat's defense got no turnovers, but gloss over that the Pat's offense gave up 2 turnovers. 

I agree the Giant's had a better game plan sticking with the run despite the fact it wasn't overly successful, but you can't have it both ways Babe, either running the ball is good for controlling the TOP and converting first downs or it's not. 

Maybe you can explain why it was good for the Giants last year but not for the Pats, or what you and I have been arguing over the past 5 years since you now seem to be changing your tune. A power running game worked for the Giant's last Super Bowl but we couldn't have employed the same philosophy?  I can't believe you are standing on that side of the aisle now, how quickly things change.

Needless to say this theory is still a crock of BS; points scored, points against and turnovers matter.  The idea that the Giant's would actually want the ball less is so dumb it hurts my molars thinking about it. 

•  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I don't know how anyone thinks what the Giants did in the Super Bowl was "power running."  Yes they ran the ball more than the Pats did (they also had a lot more snaps), but they also threw 40 times (43, I believe, if you include sacks).  The success of the passing game (an extraordinary 75% completion rate!) is what killed the Pats and allowed long drives.  

The Giants maintained their long drives in large part because their passing offense was working so well and our passing defense was not working well at all. 

Wozzy seems to be changing his tune as well . ..  for a year, he's been talking about the importance of TOP.  Now, all of a sudden, he thinks that all that matters is turnovers.  

Really, though (as Belichick has said over and over) what matters is execution.  And the Giants simply outexecuted the Pats. The loss wasn't because of strategy, it was lost because of poor execution. 

• This post has been removed.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to jri37's comment:

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

I don't know how anyone thinks what the Giants did in the Super Bowl was "power running."  Yes they ran the ball more than the Pats did (they also had a lot more snaps), but they also threw 40 times (43, I believe, if you include sacks).  The success of the passing game (an extraordinary 75% completion rate!) is what killed the Pats and allowed long drives.  

The Giants maintained their long drives in large part because their passing offense was working so well and our passing defense was not working well at all. 

Wozzy seems to be changing his tune as well . ..  for a year, he's been talking about the importance of TOP.  Now, all of a sudden, he thinks that all that matters is turnovers.  

Really, though (as Belichick has said over and over) what matters is execution.  And the Giants simply outexecuted the Pats. The loss wasn't because of strategy, it was lost because of poor execution. 

If you want to drill down further you can look at execution on a handful of specific plays. If anyone of these plays were exected properly the outcome would have most likely been different.

The safety

12 men on the field (led to giant points)

The INT

Offsides on Nink (would have been 1st 3 and out for the D) lost time and valuable field position.

For sake of arguement drop/bad pass... game over if executed.

Yep.  And if you watch the film of the game, you'll see lots of plays where our O line is beaten by their D line.  I don't think our O line is bad, but the Giants D line is very, very good and we did have a lot of injuries on the O line (Mankins and Vollmer) during the Super Bowl, plus the injury to Gronk, who also plays a big role in the blocking.  

What a lot of the posters who think we should have run more don't seem to realize is that on a lot of the running plays we did call, O line breakdowns also negatively affected the results.  There were a lot of hits on the RBs behind the LOS.  There's been a lot of talk about the Patriots first play of the game because it had such dramatic results, but it's worth looking at their second play of the game too.  In that play, they Pats came out with Brady under center and Benny as the back (just what everyone seems to want) and they ran a power sweep to the left with Matt Light and both TEs blocking.  Light completely whiffed on his block and Benny was tackled behind the LOS or a one yard loss.

Strategically this was a good call because the Giants are so strong up the middle.  Attacking the edges with the run made a lot of strategic sense.  But we didn't execute there.  It wasn't a problem with strategy at all. The play failed purely because Matt Light missed a block.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Lots to comment on this one. 

1.  So in the first angle you clearly see that brady is setting up and starts to let the ball go just as branch plants his route and turns around.  Can we agree on that?

Brady is in the middle of his throwing motion at the end of 0:01 when Branch's feet are planted and just in front of the back of the arrow next to the "40".  This corresponds to the moment at 0:08 when Welker's right foot is down just before the 36 yard line and his head is turned.  

2.  On the 2nd angle when Branch does what I said in #1,  the outside corner back covering Branch is continuing to go back as Branch does his plant and turn.  So at this point Brady has already determined where the ball is going because he is just about to release the ball or has just released the ball.  He didn't know the Outside CB was going to stop for a split second, had the CB not hesitated for that split second he would have picked off or batted down the outside shoulder throw.  So that was a bad read right there,  TFB got lucky the CB did stop for a split second before turning upfield.

Amazing how quick you are to look for fault in someone you claim to idolize.  Brady is the best at reading coverages in the NFL.  The Giants secondary were screaming at each other before the snap, even the announcers mentioned it before the snap.  The fact is #23 was playing man on Branch, and Brady knew it.  Correct read.

3.  Again, on the 2nd angle, if you agree with #1 then notice where #26 is when Brady releases the ball.  Welker is pulling away from #26 and #21 just enters the picture and takes the angle to make a tackle on Welker as if it is going to be an inside shoulder pass.

If you go to 0:08 where I indicate in my response to #1, Welker is indeed at this moment gaining separation down the field from #26 - but #26 is only half a step behind him, and still covering Welker to the inside.  The nearest CB is playing man on Welker to the inside, so Brady threw to the outside.  How is there even any debate about this?

4.  As Welker is running his route he clearly sees the outside CB running with him, Welker turns his head and looks for the ball on the inside, perfect route as he had no idea the outside CB was going to make that split second hesitation.  

The outside corner was playing man on Branch.  Maybe Welker didn't see this and that's why he ran the wrong route.  If so, it's Welker's fault.

I don't care what Defense the Giants were running on this play, you run your route according to what the defenders do and Welker did that.  He ran the correct route, too bad the pass wasn't where it was supposed to be.

I don't understand - you don't care what defense the Giants were running, but you run your route based on what the defenders do?  Actually you run your routes based on anticipation - Brady anticipated, correctly, that #23 would play man on Branch.  Brady also saw for a fact at the time he was releasing that #26 was playing man on Welker to the inside and that the Safety was along Welker's route to the inside.  So he threw a perfect outside shoulder pass.  There really is no debate about this.

Again, the moment you describe is when Brady is in the middle of his release motion.  What really matters in evaluating Brady's decision is what happened right before this moment - which was #26 playing tight man on Welker to the inside.  

The only reason why Welker was open to the inside is because at 0:09, well after the ball is thrown, #26 hesitates as if expecting a turn inside by Welker.  This happened after Brady threw the ball and is therefore completely irrelevant to his decision making.

On another note - how is it that you have all these pics from later on in the route, but can't post any of Welker around the 38 yard line?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

This whole thread was started by Babe as one of his typical attempts to absolve Brady of any percentage or responsibility for the losses. All wins are Brady's alone and all losses are someone else's fault.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

This whole thread was started by Babe as one of his typical attempts to absolve Brady of any percentage or responsibility for the losses. All wins are Brady's alone and all losses are someone else's fault.

This is the crux of it.  

It's all about execution or how well the Giant's executed their offense, not how poorly our offense executed theirs.  

It's all about time of possession, or how the Giant's continued to run even with poor results but (somehow, not the run game but somehow?) managed to control the clock, it's not like the Pats could have done the same thing running the ball to create manageable third downs now could they?

It's all about turnovers, or how the Patriot's defense didn't get any, not about the two turnovers given up by the Patriot offense.

Nobody on this end is saying the defense couldn't have played better, but we're not sticking our head in the sand pretending like the offense played great either... we'll leave that to these guys.

The offense was a raging offensive juggernaut until it wasn't, now all we have is excuses for the safety, excuses why Gronk played but wasn't at full strength, excuses for Brady throwing behind Welker, for dropped passes in crunchtime, but what we'll never have is any sort of compromise by the ball washers that possibly, just maybe the offense drastically underperformed.  

Because that would lend credence to the idea that running is actually a positive that the Giant's used to great affect to beat us and it would mean that these guys have been wrong for the past 4 years.  

It's funny how they NOW prop the Giant's running game up but can't envision the same positive results for the Pats, if the Pats raise another banner it will have been ALL Brady while the renewed ground and pound running game, the defense, Josh McDaniels and the overrated GM Belichick will just be spectators.

Laughable...

• You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Again, the moment you describe is when Brady is in the middle of his release motion.  What really matters in evaluating Brady's decision is what happened right before this moment - which was #26 playing tight man on Welker to the inside.  

No it isn't. I clearly explaind this!

The only reason why Welker was open to the inside is because at 0:09, well after the ball is thrown, #26 hesitates as if expecting a turn inside by Welker.  This happened after Brady threw the ball and is therefore completely irrelevant to his decision making.

NO, read my post and watch it again.

On another note - how is it that you have all these pics from later on in the route, but can't post any of Welker around the 38 yard line?

It doesn't matter at the 38 yard line, Brady hasnt thrown the ball yet! He throws the ball at the time Welker is at the 35 and Welker has pulled away from the CB at least 2 yards by then.

So Mightypatriots, since you have said everyone said this is Welkers fault there are others out there who agree it was Brady's fault.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1054989-tom-bradys-miscues-cost-patriots-big-in-superbowl

and here is another one that pretty much describes everything I have said in this thread.  The bad pass by Brady to Welker, the bad pass by Brady to Branch.  READ IT!

http://www.examiner.com/article/patriots-give-brady-and-welker-a-free-pass

I don't like to blame Brady, he is my favorite player but just because I am a big fan of his doesn't mean I defend him when he makes mistakes, that's just plain wrong.  I'm man enough to admit he makes mistakes.  He is great, one of the greatest but he isn't perfect.  And last, I'm not going to make a scapegoat out of someone who doesnt deserve it, Welker in this case.  Sure you can put some blame on him if you want for not making a really tough catch, to blame the SB on him is not only foolish but wrong.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

No it isn't. I clearly explaind this!

NO, read my post and watch it again.

It doesn't matter at the 38 yard line, Brady hasnt thrown the ball yet! He throws the ball at the time Welker is at the 35 and Welker has pulled away from the CB at least 2 yards by then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT6XziIQ5RI

Go to 0:01 and 0:09 at the time Branch has his right foot raised and his left foot down.  Welker's left foot is across the 35 yard line.  As you can see at 0:01, Brady's arm is up above his head and he is well into his throwing motion.  It is everything that happens before this that is relevant.

Nevertheless, even at this moment at 0:09, #26 is about half a yard behind Welker and 1-2 yards to the inside of Welker.  Even if this is the right moment to look at (which is impossible because is already well into his throw), there is a CB trailing Welker to the inside and a safety ahead  of Welker to the inside, and no one covering Welker to the outside.  Outside pass is the only pass to make.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

So Mightypatriots, since you have said everyone said this is Welkers fault there are others out there who agree it was Brady's fault.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1054989-tom-bradys-miscues-cost-patriots-big-in-superbowl

and here is another one that pretty much describes everything I have said in this thread.  The bad pass by Brady to Welker, the bad pass by Brady to Branch.  READ IT!

I don't like to blame Brady, he is my favorite player but just because I am a big fan of his doesn't mean I defend him when he makes mistakes, that's just plain wrong.  I'm man enough to admit he makes mistakes.  He is great, one of the greatest but he isn't perfect.  And last, I'm not going to make a scapegoat out of someone who doesnt deserve it, Welker in this case.  Sure you can put some blame on him if you want for not making a really tough catch, to blame the SB on him is not only foolish but wrong.

Nobody is perfect all the time. i'm sure even Sheryl Teigs has had a blemish somewhere. Anyone here ready to throw her out of bed for it?

Nobody is perfect all the time. i'm sure even Sheryl Teigs has had a blemish somewhere. Anyone here ready to throw her out of bed for it?

As I examined here pretty closely back in the day, the only blemish I could see was her elbows were too pointy. And no, I didn't kick her out for that.

You gonna respond to my analysis or do you finally admit that when there are two defenders covering a receiver to the inside, a good QB throws to the outside shoulder?

And I'm not the one who mentioned "what everyone thinks."  That was TripleOG.  I don't care what the talking heads think, they couldn't throw a completion in that situation if their life depended on it.  The fact that Brady threw the ball where he did is all the proof I need that it was the correct pass.  I'm just glad that after hours of Youtube videos I am partially able to understand the wisdom of the decision he made in a split second.

Nevertheless, even at this moment at 0:09, #26 is about half a yard behind Welker and 1-2 yards to the inside of Welker.  Even if this is the right moment to look at (which is impossible because is already well into his throw), there is a CB trailing Welker to the inside and a safety ahead  of Welker to the inside, and no one covering Welker to the outside.  Outside pass is the only pass to make.

Welker is pulling away from him at this point and the outside CB covering Branch hadn't even made his hesitation before Brady releases the ball.  Had the outside CB not made that hesitation he would have picked that ball off but, again, Brady was lucky the CB did hesitate because it was too late, the ball was already being released. 

It's all about tenths of seconds, we can beat this dead horse all we want.  In my mind and from everything I have seen and all the disecting of video, I will remain with my opinion that it was a bad pass by Brady, he could have and should have hit Wes on the inside while Wes was in stride.  And I will continue to raise this opinion and point out these facts everytime i see a post or thread blaming Welker for the Super Bowl loss.

Well you're wrong.  #23 was covering Branch and Brady knew it.  #26 was covering Welker to the inside.  Welker did indeed beat him - to the outside.  Which is where Brady threw it.  This is elementary stuff.  You really think you know better than Tom Brady where Tom Brady should be throwing the football?

• Sections
    Shortcuts