What can the Pats learn from the Browns game?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Re: What can the Pats learn from the Browns game?

In Response to Re: What can the Pats learn from the Browns game?:
    [QUOTE]"We learned that we're probably not as good as our now 6-2 record would indicate.  We learned that TB isn't superman.  We learned that we can't stop the run even though we know it's coming.  We learned that you can't do stupid things to any team in their house and expect to win.  We learned that we still have a long way to go before being able to compete with the top NFL teams.  We learned that our special teams aren't really that special.  We learned we can't come from behind on a now 3-5 team.  We learned that every game is "loosable."  We learned that TB doesn't have talented enough receivers to overcome poor throws.  We learned that "tackling" is a something that takes proactivity - no reactivity.  We learned that we're definately not a "tough" team.  We learned that we when being punched in the mouth, ours is a glass chin.  We learned that Big Ben and Peyton Manning will probably light us up like you read about.  We learned we that, despite our previous good record, we're not any better than above average teams, and we just may be worse.  We learned that our coaching staff can definately be out coached by a hungrier team.  Did I miss any anything?  And yes, if you accuse me of posting while PO'd, I'm guilty as charged. "" and plus they stank maybe a lil humbling will cause them to play the game and put down the newspaper clippings Pats really need some creativity..on all teams  cuz looked like Cle was well prepared for what the Pats would offer mistakes make breaks for the opposition
    Posted by dbeach48[/QUOTE]

This here is simply an excellent post.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from james32. Show james32's posts

I learned the Patriots can't stop a physical offensive line and a big running back.They played on their heels the whole game.Plus it doesn't help offense looked off all day.Question,copy cat league,Everyone else will try and do the same thing until Patriots stop it

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

NOTHING!!  What game plan did the Brown's show that would make the Pats play better?  Nothing!  All the Pats needed to do was play well for 60 minutes...  simply put, they did not!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What can the Pats learn from the Browns game? : I'm still surprised that he is starting...Especially after all the drama surrounding him. With what the Pats preach, there is no way he should even be activated!
    Posted by Rodimus77[/QUOTE]

i believe the thinking was to try to get him ready for pitt and indy.  if they did not start him now, you definitely shold not start him either of the next two games.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

This team is very good, but until they get to 9 or 10 wins, I won't be thinking playoffs or SB. This team will have plenty of ups and downs this year. We learned what was thought to be an inferior team could over run a superior team. Now some of you call us inferior to Pitt and Indy and that we will get ran over again. I see no reason the Pats can't pull out victories the next 2 weeks, which would almost wipe away the stain that was this loss to the Brown.

What we as fans learned is the Pat's this year won't always look fantastic, they will get beat up. But, what we didn't do is step up for the win. We had countless opportunities for our offense to get us back in the game with a score. Brady still isn't completely comfortable and our rookie weapons showed how simple mistakes can lose a game. I know we have played against better RB's and better QB's and came out on top.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeatBoston4Ever. Show BeatBoston4Ever's posts

The Ravens are the team to beat. I see SB for them. That loss to the Patsies was a fluke as they outplayed them the entire game until their OC decided to sit on a 10-point lead. Otherwise, you guys are 5-3 and Ravens are 7-1.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from l52094. Show l52094's posts

You must score more points than your opponent to win.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Wow I guess we can temper our unbound optimism, maybe we can look at the deficiencies on this team now and not have the "yeah but we've only lost one game" excuse, maybe we can all admit out loud that perhaps a running game matters or maybe that The Brown's 44 rushing attempts (and dominating 38 minute time of possession) was more effective than Tom Brady getting nearly 40 pass attempts...?

Maybe another supporter of the high flying offense theory can explain to us how all the teams with Belichick disciples beat us regularly using our old method of offense, or how The Raiders with the worst QB's in the league but the best running game can put together wins against anyone, while we have the best QB in the league but playing from behind we become predictable, incompetent, complete 27% of our third down attempts and punt 5 times?

Just because we can inflate our offensive stats constantly going Brady to Welker doesn't prevent opposing teams from knowing with some certainty that on 3rd and long that that is obviously going to be the option... again.

What else have we learned?

You can only bring Branch back one time and focus in on him for an entire game before the rest of the NFL figures out how to stop you. 

The play calling was farcical and obvious and Mangini obviously knows our offensive playbook better than O'Brien. 

Colt McCoy throwing 19 times is better than Tom Brady throwing 40 times. 

Power running is alive and well in todays NFL.

Woodhead should get 20+ carries a game, size be damned...

The Chiefs were the worst team in the league last season so maybe coaching and coordinators are important?

Did the defense play well... no, but I expect inconsistancy from 22 year olds, what's the offenses excuse?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moongirl. Show moongirl's posts

That we have ZERO playmakers when a big play is needed! ZERO!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

young teams play badly on the road sometimes in the middle of the season. disappointing but hardly the end of the world.
    mainly what i learned is that pats fans still overreact to every loss and that the trolls love to come out on this board when we lose. the young players will learn from this game. the worst part of this week was detroit handing ther game to the jets and oakland winning again...that is really starting to bother me.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

My biggest concern from today's game was that the defense, which has seemed so good against the run the past few games, looked so bad against a big, powerful running back and good run blockers. The front seven (and the LBs in particular) were blown off the ball way too much.  I also thought the LBs looked bad in pass coverage today.  So, overall, LB play--which has been very promising--took a big step back.  What concerns me most is that they didn't look very physical.  Our LBs are quick--but after today's game you have to ask whether they are they powerful enough to handle a power running attack.  I think we'll see the more powerful running teams start to challenge them in future games. Mangini may have exposed a weakness.

On offense, the problems we've seen over the past few weeks continue. Brady remains less accurate than he used to be, receivers don't get open and miss too many catchable balls, and run blocking isn't dominating (a problem given the fact that BJGE isn't a back who can make things happen on his own). The play calling also doesn't seem great--but execution failures are the primary reason our offense is stalling out so frequently.

As the season has unfolded, this team (somewhat surprisingly) has become a team that  wins with defense, so the defensive lapses today concern me most. The offense, though, really needs to get more consistent so that the team can sustain drives. Far too many drives are stalling out after just a handful of plays and that's putting a lot of pressure on the defense.

Special teams had problems today, but that's not something I'm all that concerned about. Everything seems correctable there.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bspikes55. Show Bspikes55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What can the Pats learn from the Browns game? : You're right. That game was all O'Brien's fault. He told Gronkowski to fumble at the goal line. He told brady to throw like crap all day. And he was the one who told the defense to lay an egg today.
    Posted by tartarus12[/QUOTE]\

No but he has an stiff for danny woodhead falling inlove with the 3 yard draw when we need to move down the field not stall. he also called that idiotic touch pass to woodhead on 3rd down in the 1st half.I like woodhead for what he does but Obrien thinks he is a corey dillon/kevin faulk hybrid which is not true.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]mainly what i learned is that pats fans still overreact to every loss and that the trolls love to come out on this board when we lose.
    Posted by artielang[/QUOTE]

I was here last week when we were riding high on a 5 game winning streak criticising the same weaknesses that bit us in the behind yesterday, I don't want to hear how none of us were critical with obvious flaws on this team when we were winning.  Not to say you were responding to me in particular but the Koolaid drinkers standing on their soapboxes right now need a slap down...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]Wow I guess we can temper our unbound optimism, maybe we can look at the deficiencies on this team now and not have the "yeah but we've only lost one game" excuse, maybe we can all admit out loud that perhaps a running game matters or maybe that The Brown's 44 rushing attempts (and dominating 38 minute time of possession) was more effective than Tom Brady getting nearly 40 pass attempts...? Maybe another supporter of the high flying offense theory can explain to us how all the teams with Belichick disciples beat us regularly using our old method of offense, or how The Raiders with the worst QB's in the league but the best running game can put together wins against anyone, while we have the best QB in the league but playing from behind we become predictable, incompetent, complete 27% of our third down attempts and punt 5 times? Just because we can inflate our offensive stats constantly going Brady to Welker doesn't prevent opposing teams from knowing with some certainty that on 3rd and long that that is obviously going to be the option... again. What else have we learned? You can only bring Branch back one time and focus in on him for an entire game before the rest of the NFL figures out how to stop you.  The play calling was farcical and obvious and Mangini obviously knows our offensive playbook better than O'Brien.  Colt McCoy throwing 19 times is better than Tom Brady throwing 40 times.  Power running is alive and well in todays NFL. Woodhead should get 20+ carries a game, size be damned... The Chiefs were the worst team in the league last season so maybe coaching and coordinators are important? Did the defense play well... no, but I expect inconsistancy from 22 year olds, what's the offenses excuse?
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]

This is a hardcore and accurate breakdown.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Browns like to run the ball

Browns like to team-tackle

Browns have a keeper at QB

Browns don't make mistakes

Browns still have an ugly helmet

Browns were better than Pats on that day...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]Browns like to run the ball Browns like to team-tackle Browns have a keeper at QB Browns don't make mistakes Browns still have an ugly helmet Browns were better than Pats on that day...
    Posted by beavis[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the summation, very thorough...