What can the Pats learn from the Browns game?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

What can the Pats learn from the Browns game?

Thoughts/Concerns?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NFL-Observer10. Show NFL-Observer10's posts

Re: What can the Pats learn from the Browns game?

They're not as good as their record would indicate.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

The "Break But Don't Crumble" defense is not designed to play from way, way behind.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from knightsailor. Show knightsailor's posts

In Response to Re: What can the Pats learn from the Browns game?:
    They're not as good as their record would indicate.
    Posted by NFL-Observer10

We can learn not to invest 1/6th of our cap in one player, so we can afford balance instead of depending on rookies.  Wait didn't we learn that early in the decade?  I guess we forgot.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

The Pats always have a game like this (even back in '03 and '04) where they come out and look awful. Everyone always starts questioning them at that point, but they always end up anywhere from 12-4 to 14-2.

Beating Baltimore, San Diego, and Minnesota isn't a fluke.

This young team got over-complacent and came out and laid an egg. I'm not happy at all, but I'm not overly concerned about our long-term status.

Also, the Browns are a solid team.

Am I happy? Absolutely not.

But this is still a very good team that will get into the playoffs and make noise. Time to regroup and come out and make a statement verse Pittsburgh.

Let's hope for a Jets loss and if so, this loss is a moot point (in terms of the playoffs).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

The youngsters need to learn that 6 and 1 means nothing. Work work work every week focus on the opponent at hand.

How many more AFC championship preview threads will be started now?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

The youngsters need to learn that 6 and 1 means nothing. Work work work every week focus on the opponent at hand. How many more AFC championship preview threads will be started now?  
    Posted by harleyroadking

I believe I mentioned twice in the "14-2" thread that Cleveland was the opponent this week, but almost nobody wanted to talk about that.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

We learned that we're probably not as good as our now 6-2 record would indicate.  We learned that TB isn't superman.  We learned that we can't stop the run even though we know it's coming.  We learned that you can't do stupid things to any team in their house and expect to win.  We learned that we still have a long way to go before being able to compete with the top NFL teams.  We learned that our special teams aren't really that special.  We learned we can't come from behind on a now 3-5 team.  We learned that every game is "loosable."  We learned that TB doesn't have talented enough receivers to overcome poor throws.  We learned that "tackling" is a something that takes proactivity - no reactivity.  We learned that we're definately not a "tough" team.  We learned that we when being punched in the mouth, ours is a glass chin.  We learned that Big Ben and Peyton Manning will probably light us up like you read about.  We learned we that, despite our previous good record, we're not any better than above average teams, and we just may be worse.  We learned that our coaching staff can definately be out coached by a hungrier team.  Did I miss any anything?  And yes, if you accuse me of posting while PO'd, I'm guilty as charged.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Need a running game...it was non-exitstant!

Don't rely on Rookies: Gonk...

Watch more game films...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

I saw that P-Mike, and all the Colts vs Pats posts???? This was trap the Pats fell into it whole hog.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Steelcurtain75. Show Steelcurtain75's posts

What a crazy year it is in the NFL this year. I could see Cleveland starting to improve when they had Baltimore on the ropes. Actually they played the Steelers to a standstill, till the end of the game. Then they put a licking on the Saints!
    I don't think this game will have anything to do with the Pats visiting the Steelers next week. The Steelers pass defense is awful! It's amazing that the Patriots & Steelers usually draft near the end of each round, yet remain very competitive year after year. I take the Steeler losses just as hard as the Patriot fans take a Patriot loss. It stinks, especially since we have to wait a whole week for the team to play again. I still think it's going to come down to how well you are playing when the Playoffs start. Seems like this year, there are no more easy teams on the schedule.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from teddydupay4. Show teddydupay4's posts

I learned these things personally...

1. Even if his protege's aren't great coaches, it sure seems like sometimes they have Bill's number.  I don't think Josh McDaniels has won since the Broncos beat the Pats (tongue in cheek).
    2. That the team needs to stop reading the press clippings.  There was so much butt kissing going on about the team this past week nationally, it's like they thought you get rings for 7 games. 
    3. The team needs to figure out something on 3rd down.  Brady didn't play well, neither did many of the receivers, but a lot like when I hear Indy fans blame Manning and the offense when they're barely on the field...it was the D's fault.  Cleveland wasn't doing anything creative @ all in the 2nd half.  Every play seemed to go thru Willis.  It felt like a basketball game where one guy was hot and no one was figuring out how the hell to stop him.  The 3rd down D was embarassing.  It put the offense in compromising positions because being down double figures every time you touch the ball, it takes a lot of the creativity out of what kinda plays you're going to run.  Think about it...the offense NEVER saw the ball unless it was a 2 score game right from the beginning.  Hard to win games that way.

That being said, the Jets just got shut out @ home by the Pack.  Balty's lost to Cincy.  Indy to Jacksonville.  Let's not go all kitchen sink.  Another 2 losses, sure, fine.  But it's not worth jumping off the wagon after one salty game.  They happen.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

In Response to What can the Pats learn from the Browns game?:
    Thoughts/Concerns?
    Posted by beavis

To score!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tartarus12. Show tartarus12's posts

1. Trap Game Warning not heeded. 2. Our D is consistent in yards given up, week in/week out. 3. We haven't really beat any team decidedly this year yet. 4. We have NOT found any offensive identity and we're 8 games into the season (don't look at points per game; special teams has skewed that).   Fire O'Brien. 5. We really miss Faulk. and..... 6. PARITY RULES!  That's the good news. We are no better or worse than most other teams in the AFC.
    Posted by ipot

You're right. That game was all O'Brien's fault. He told Gronkowski to fumble at the goal line. He told brady to throw like crap all day. And he was the one who told the defense to lay an egg today.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Just showing up doesn't = a win

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubbakilla. Show bubbakilla's posts

crapp happens. dont become a looony fan and go nuts. were due to have a bad game. no need to panic. i expect this team to go 14-2. was assuming versus the steels but now believe they will win the rest of their games going forward including next sunday versus steels!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In Response to What can the Pats learn from the Browns game?:
    Thoughts/Concerns?
    Posted by beavis

like, what? show up?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In Response to Re: What can the Pats learn from the Browns game? : I believe I mentioned twice in the "14-2" thread that Cleveland was the opponent this week, but almost nobody wanted to talk about that.
    Posted by p-mike

oh, yeah......lol

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

The return of Deion Branch was a one game wonder
    Defense as a whole is still not there
    The Pats need some receivers
    The Pats need a legit running game
    Did I miss anything?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

I saw that P-Mike, and all the Colts vs Pats posts???? This was trap the Pats fell into it whole hog.
    Posted by harleyroadking

i guess  i am fortunate to have missed seeing it.

that said, the lopsided score suggests to me that the browns dominated both sides of the los. how did they look?

i said in a previous post that mankins' return would disrupt the offensive rhythm, particuarly the running game. i was trying to follow play by play and it seemed that the RBs were not getting much on the left side. how many snaps did he playa nd how did he look? he's always good at pass protct, but not sure about run blocking anymore.

on def side, i believe the DL is still suspect. vw plays well 2/3 of the time, but i don't believe he is dominating enough to disrupt offesnses with good o-lines.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from paris-expat. Show paris-expat's posts

didn't expect to go 15-1 either. good loss to an underrated team, perhaps an important wakeup call to make adjustments. defense still gaining experience with every (unfortunately frequent) snap. look to come back next week and have the team back on line. obviously a disppointing display out of sunch this afternoon

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbeach48. Show dbeach48's posts

"We learned that we're probably not as good as our now 6-2 record would indicate.  We learned that TB isn't superman.  We learned that we can't stop the run even though we know it's coming.  We learned that you can't do stupid things to any team in their house and expect to win.  We learned that we still have a long way to go before being able to compete with the top NFL teams.  We learned that our special teams aren't really that special.  We learned we can't come from behind on a now 3-5 team.  We learned that every game is "loosable."  We learned that TB doesn't have talented enough receivers to overcome poor throws.  We learned that "tackling" is a something that takes proactivity - no reactivity.  We learned that we're definately not a "tough" team.  We learned that we when being punched in the mouth, ours is a glass chin.  We learned that Big Ben and Peyton Manning will probably light us up like you read about.  We learned we that, despite our previous good record, we're not any better than above average teams, and we just may be worse.  We learned that our coaching staff can definately be out coached by a hungrier team.  Did I miss any anything?  And yes, if you accuse me of posting while PO'd, I'm guilty as charged. ""

and plus they stank

maybe a lil humbling will cause them to play the game and put down the newspaper clippings

Pats really need some creativity..on all teams  cuz
    looked like Cle was well prepared
    for what the Pats would offer

mistakes make breaks for the opposition

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

[QUOTE]The Pats always have a game like this (even back in '03 and '04) where they come out and look awful. Everyone always starts questioning them at that point, but they always end up anywhere from 12-4 to 14-2. Beating Baltimore, San Diego, and Minnesota isn't a fluke. This young team got over-complacent and came out and laid an egg. I'm not happy at all, but I'm not overly concerned about our long-term status. Also, the Browns are a solid team. Am I happy? Absolutely not. But this is still a very good team that will get into the playoffs and make noise. Time to regroup and come out and make a statement verse Pittsburgh. Let's hope for a Jets loss and if so, this loss is a moot point (in terms of the playoffs).
    Posted by vertigho[/QUOTE]

THANK YOU.  Last year we had the same thing.  Sometimes we just come out flat, and the other team can do no wrong.  Don't freak.  Or do, but don't expect me to be freaking with you.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

In Response to Re: What can the Pats learn from the Browns game? : i guess  i am fortunate to have missed seeing it. that said, the lopsided score suggests to me that the browns dominated both sides of the los. how did they look? i said in a previous post that mankins' return would disrupt the offensive rhythm, particuarly the running game. i was trying to follow play by play and it seemed that the RBs were not getting much on the left side. how many snaps did he playa nd how did he look? he's always good at pass protct, but not sure about run blocking anymore. on def side, i believe the DL is still suspect. vw plays well 2/3 of the time, but i don't believe he is dominating enough to disrupt offesnses with good o-lines.
    Posted by seattlepat70

I'm still surprised that he is starting...Especially after all the drama surrounding him. With what the Pats preach, there is no way he should even be activated!

Sections
Shortcuts