What can we do at Running Back?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rhody3. Show Rhody3's posts

What can we do at Running Back?

What we got won't do , heard rumors that Carolina might move Stewart or Williams. We need a more Productive Back the Law firm struggled last year, what about trying Houston to trade for Tate. Any other Ideas......

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Moss07. Show Brady2Moss07's posts

Re: What can we do at Running Back?

Free agent Michael Bush. Bruising back with great hands. Not sure why pats have not had him in. Imagine they are going with the second year guys and will bring a cheap veteran into the fold.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

There are a few options, but no A.P.'s waiting around. The best bet here may be to wait until after june 1st, but then you are risking coming away with nothing if u dont land anyone.

They could do a trade, but I would rather draft a back then use a pic for a guy with mileage. Stewart doesnt look like a fit here. I would rather have Williams and not sure of his blocking.

I would check out Ronnie Brown and see what hes got. He is still under 30 I believe.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I'm not sure Bush or Benson or whatever is much better than BJGE, maybe a little in their HR ability, but surely there is a tradeoff elsewhere (knowledge of the system, injury, fumbles).

What can be done?

Draft someone fast, or wait and see what the kids develop into?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

Patience may be actually a virtue in this case.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

The amount of teams needing RB's are running dry and players like BJGE and Bush are still waiting for contracts.

I'd just hold tight and wait, why over spend for a RB in a system that uses RB's as situational players? As for getting a feature back I just don't see it. They spent 2 fairly high draft picks on RB's last year and I think they will want to use them more often next year. I expect to see a more complimentary back then anything else. Think FB or large bruising RB. Don't forget they have that kid from the Navy coming back this year and BB was enamoured by him. On the FA market you might be looking at the second tier of RB FA's after cut down days, Ryan Grant, BJGE if the Bengals don't sign him, Addai, M Morris. But, I wouldn't be expecting any big names honestly. Bringing in a feature back would either stunt Ridley and Vereens development or signal that they aren't confident in either

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

VEREEN.

VEREEN.

VEREEN.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from quinzpatsfan. Show quinzpatsfan's posts

The best case scenario is to have Benny come back, then hopefully Vereen and ridley are pressing him for starting game one.  If Benny signs with another team I dont the pats would go out and sign Bush if he wants more $4mil plus a year.  I'm assuming the pats have confidence in their 2nd and 3rd round picks.  I would think they would sign a Fred Talyor type on the cheap, a proven pro that is on the downside that can mentor Ver and Rid.  Ridley at least showed he can play last year, fumbling can be corrected (see kevin faulk), vereen is totally unproven but we have woodhead who has a similiar skill set.  
    Why sign Bush when the idea is to have one of Rid and Ver shine with a FULL hopefully non-injury camp be your starter. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

I think we may have seen the plan in last years playoffs. Pats just signed Fells as a second TE, picked up another slot guy in Gonzalez to go with Welker and Edelmann, and 2 outside wr's in Lloyd and Stallworth. Hernandez is going to be moved all over the field and used as a matchup nightmare for defenses, including being used as a RB and going in motion as a pass catching back. Ridley (who may be the primary ball carrier next season), Vereen and Woodhead get carries and playing time to spell him.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

What they do at RB is frankly unimportant. For the system they run in New England, the BJGE/Ridley/Vereen/Woodhead group is just fine. If they intend to change, become more run oriented, then investing money or a high draft pick in a better back than Benny might be warranted (although perhaps Ridley can be that guy). Otherwise, what's the point?

Does anybody actually think they're going to go in that direction? I definitely do not, especially with all the receivers they're bringing in.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Promote Hernandez.  He makes people miss and he's pretty big for a back.  Plus he catches passes.

If the Patriots have some real wideouts, who's going to stop them?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In Response to Re: What can we do at Running Back?:
    [QUOTE]Promote Hernandez.  He makes people miss and he's pretty big for a back.  Plus he catches passes. If the Patriots have some real wideouts, who's going to stop them?
    Posted by Paul_K[/QUOTE]

Not sure if I agree that RB is a promotion from pass catching TE in this offense. But using Hernandez more in that role isn't a bad thought.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

Unload the backend 2nd rder to Carolina for Jonathan Stewart. Hernandez is too tall to be an RB in this league. No way. Disaster in the making using him in that position. I cringe every time they did that, plus he's not the best with ball security either.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

They spent a second round pick on Vereen and a third on Ridley, that right there is your solution at RB for this year. If they pan out, great, both guys have potential, its time we give them a chance to live up to it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ejb222. Show ejb222's posts

I agree with TSWFAN

Patience. You have 2 second year RBs. Mystery? Yes. Is drafting a RB this year less of a mystery? No. Polite must go though...he adds nothing. I really wanted Ricky Williams last year. I like the Ronnie Brown idea. Someone punishing up the middle would be great for short money...but don't waste a draft pick with 2 youngens in the mix.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

Ridley, Vereen and Woodhead isn't enough. You need one more legit, starting option, and preferably someone with exprerience in the role.

Either resign BJGE and move forward or be more aggressive in this area to bolster the position.

They need to get away from each RB having such specific skill sets that our subbing and plays tip off what kind of play we'll be running. A Michael Bush option is too predictable, for example.  But, if we switch to a run base, which we won't, he would work.

If Stewart can be had for a 2nd rder at age 24?  By all means go that route.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Asher77. Show Asher77's posts

We Trade Up for Richardson.

You need more than one good back and Vereen and him will be a great pair.

BB often surprises us, just when we are all coming to terms with the trade back approach he changes it up.

I think that we have always desired a feature back but the price has been to prohibative or we just were not in position to land one. Now we are and the price is right.

Mallet will be the big chip used to trade with Clev. at the 4 slot. They need a possible franchise QB ( talking Tannehill and this makes more sense for them ). Give them the talented QB while the fans still remember his college game and a year after the off field stuff has been washed away by a nice quiet run to the SB riding the pine for BB and Brady.

We cash this chip, it takes: Mallet ( 3rd round pick last year ), our 27 or 31, and a 2nd. Thats my best guess on what we need to offer Clev to get them to enter serious negotiation.

What free agent RB would offer better value than that?

And as to Mallet, his value is as high as ever and Brady will be around to long to keep him on the pine as the hier apparent. We will lose him in a few years. We will cash that chip next year or the year after if not now.

Oh ya, with Richardson there is always the added factor of Sabans approval at Bama.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

[QUOTE]We Trade Up for Richardson. You need more than one good back and Vereen and him will be a great pair. BB often surprises us, just when we are all coming to terms with the trade back approach he changes it up. I think that we have always desired a feature back but the price has been to prohibative or we just were not in position to land one. Now we are and the price is right. Mallet will be the big chip used to trade with Clev. at the 4 slot. They need a possible franchise QB ( talking Tannehill and this makes more sense for them ). Give them the talented QB while the fans still remember his college game and a year after the off field stuff has been washed away by a nice quiet run to the SB riding the pine for BB and Brady. We cash this chip, it takes: Mallet ( 3rd round pick last year ), our 27 or 31, and a 2nd. Thats my best guess on what we need to offer Clev to get them to enter serious negotiation. What free agent RB would offer better value than that? And as to Mallet, his value is as high as ever and Brady will be around to long to keep him on the pine as the hier apparent. We will lose him in a few years. We will cash that chip next year or the year after if not now. Oh ya, with Richardson there is always the added factor of Sabans approval at Bama.
    Posted by Asher77[/QUOTE]

If I was going to do that type of trade I'd go after Blackmon not Richardson....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

It makes little sense to trade up for Richardson or to bring in any "feature" back. This is a passing offense, like it or not. They're just not going to devote a lot of resources to that position. It would mean a lot more than just trading up for a RB, it would mean a revamp of the way they run the offense. Do you really think given the recent signings of pass catchers, that they are now going to become run first? Give it up.

A veteran back like Stewart I can see, because he's not a feature back, he's been a second fiddle/1a guy his whole career. The other thing about RBs is they're just so darn fungible. Ridley/BJGE are fine, and if not BJGE, then someone else of average to above average skills who can pass block (and preferably play special teams) would do just fine.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

You want to trade Mallett after a year of development here, a chance to bring him along slower behind Brady, after a potential steal in the 3rd rd last year? 

Just trade Hoyer for a 3rd if you want ROI on the QB investment.  They're going to have to cut bait with Hoyer in some fashion here, because he is a FA next year.  I can't see BB unloading the farm for a rookie RB, although it would makse sense from a financial standpoint.

In the end, I'd rather unload the back end 2nd to Carolina and then control the contract leverage for Stewart's extension that way.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Asher77. Show Asher77's posts

[QUOTE]It makes little sense to trade up for Richardson or to bring in any "feature" back. This is a passing offense, like it or not. They're just not going to devote a lot of resources to that position. It would mean a lot more than just trading up for a RB, it would mean a revamp of the way they run the offense. Do you really think given the recent signings of pass catchers, that they are now going to become run first? Give it up. A veteran back like Stewart I can see, because he's not a feature back, he's been a second fiddle/1a guy his whole career. The other thing about RBs is they're just so darn fungible. Ridley/BJGE are fine, and if not BJGE, then someone else of average to above average skills who can pass block (and preferably play special teams) would do just fine.
    Posted by Muzwell[/QUOTE]

We debated the addition of a feature RB yesterday on another post and even Babe admited that Brady and the passing attack would be more dynamic if we had a RB of a pro bowl caliber do to the respect defenses would pay us.

By adding a RB we do not need to run more or change the offense. We are a balanced offense now and we run often enough. We just do not force opposing defenses to play us honest and we allow them to cheat against the pass. This is because nobody wants to let Brady beat them easy and would rather take there chances with BJGE or any other FA running back being named.

If we want to keep D's honest we NEED a big name RB. I think this is worth more than Blackmon can give us considering who we have to throw the ball to compared to who we have to hand it to as the current roster stands.

The deal I presented did not cost us alot. A swap of first round picks, a 2nd, a 3rd. Thats more than fair and might be the best chance value wise we will ever get to grab a RB with this talent on a rookie contract.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Asher77. Show Asher77's posts

[QUOTE]You want to trade Mallett after a year of development here, a chance to bring him along slower behind Brady, after a potential steal in the 3rd rd last year?  Just trade Hoyer for a 3rd if you want ROI on the QB investment.  They're going to have to cut bait with Hoyer in some fashion here, because he is a FA next year.  I can't see BB unloading the farm for a rookie RB, although it would makse sense from a financial standpoint. In the end, I'd rather unload the back end 2nd to Carolina and then control the contract leverage for Stewart's extension that way.
    Posted by BassFishing[/QUOTE]

How is Mallet now the farm?

Also Rusty my point to get the RB was inspired by your neever ending crusade to get Brady to throw under 40 times ( although I dont think it is the amount of times he throws thats the issue ). If there is someone I can convert to this idea I think it might be you.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

Here's what they need to do:

When you play a game  just go in with what you think will work, which is what they usually do and use a lead back to start the game. This might be Ridley based on if they want to throw a tad more (think Kevin Faulk), this may be someone like a Jonathan Stewart, where you want to lay down a pretty good run game in some fashion.

Against weak or mediocre Ds, we know they can pretty much run mostly passing plays and at some point, the opponent's D just can't match up and it's a blowout. But, for the playoff situations or SB situations, we MUST lean on a lead back. Once you see what the D is doing, you can then sub for future drives, conitnuing to dictate.

Why is Danny Woodhead a lead back in the NFL? He's not. That's problem #1. I like Woodhead, but he's a scatback. This is like pretending Eric Bienemy, Eric Metcalf or Reggie Bush are lead backs. They aren't!

Either way, they shouldn't be thinking "we have to give this guy snaps" just to give them snaps. It;s the like Jimy Williams managing concept of "everyone plays". No, they shouldn't.  It should be more about the team you're and how you want to dictate and set them up, so your offense runs efficiently across 4 qtrs.

What they do now, is sub people in and out, thinking the skill sets for the play or the series of plays they want to run, almost like it's a scrimmage, is somehow effective.  But, the subbing tells the D what play we're running (pass or run) and that cancels out our approach of thinking maximizing players by skill set, gives us this "match up" advantage. 

Brady is wrong.  When he's audibiling, etc, and passing at a 60+% clip, that audibling loses it's effectiveness, because teams ain't buying our commitment to the run.

As we know, FACTUALLY, since 2009 (minus Week 5-17 in 2010), this approach not effective against good or great front 7s.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts