What did you think of Belichick's explanation?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

What did you think of Belichick's explanation?

New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick discussed his controversial fourth-down call during Sunday's game against the Colts at a press conference today. He said he thought his decision gave his team the best chance of winning the game. What are your thoughts about his explanation?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPKilla2009. Show MVPKilla2009's posts

Re: Your thoughts on Bill Belichick's press conference

I think it was the perfect explanation and he needs not explain himself any firther. He thought it was a good choice and had the play been challeneged it would have been called a 1st down so I think if anything he is taking teh high ground by not making excuses. he thought it would win him the game, he played to win not to lose and thats why we love him. It just didnt work.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

The decision took guts. I liked it. The ball was incorrectly spotted and the Pats shot themselves in the foot by using all their timeouts so they couldn't challenge. That is how it goes against the Colts.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sigloiv. Show sigloiv's posts

Don't care.  He made the wrong decision and he knows it.  4 and 1, maybe 4 and 2 never.  There's a million things that can go wrong.  Can't wait to hear Bill Simmons take on this on his podcast. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

Re: What did you think of Belichick's explanation?

He would have reacted the same way win or loss.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbirney. Show jbirney's posts

Why second guess Belichick now? His gutsy moves got the Patriots where they are. I'd be upset if they had punted.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MajJohn. Show MajJohn's posts

He should have said, "I left my best players on the field to win the game"...period, end of story.  Gutsy call that came up short.  Pats will still win the division and go to the playoffs, so this is not the equivalent of the Grady Little call (that many analysts are stating).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BUpatriots. Show BUpatriots's posts

I would have liked it a little more if we won, however im not that upset because they played, for the most part, a dam good game and proved that they are around the same level as the colts and getting better week by week. I love you bill.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PollyfromBoston. Show PollyfromBoston's posts

You are absolutely right. It is what it is.

In Response to Re: Your thoughts on Bill Belichick's press conference:
    [QUOTE]Don't care.  He made the wrong decision and he knows it.  4 and 1, maybe 4 and 2 never.  There's a million things that can go wrong.  Can't wait to hear Bill Simmons take on this on his podcast. 
    Posted by sigloiv[/QUOTE]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NewtonDweller. Show NewtonDweller's posts

I agree.  The Colts got a PI gift the series before for what, 40 yards?  Punt it and the Refs would have given them that yardage back.  This way both bthe O and D had a chance to win it.   The onlything I give them greif for was using the time outs

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jns. Show jns's posts

In Response to What did you think of Belichick's explanation?:
    [QUOTE]New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick discussed his controversial fourth-down call during Sunday's game against the Colts at a press conference today. He said he thought his decision gave his team the best chance of winning the game. What are your thoughts about his explanation?
    Posted by BostonDotCom[/QUOTE]
    He's the coach. We're luckcy to have him ... it wasn't a bad call ... period.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Marc2005. Show Marc2005's posts

I might have done something different but maybe that's why I'm not a coach.  I didn't see any of the players jumping up and down saying, "WHHHHYYYY" like me.  They have a great offense and they were marching down the field at will, 70 yards or 30 yards may not have mattered.

That being said....it would have been harder to make them drive the ball 70 yards rather than 30.

Tough one, they need to beat the Saints now.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from arnoobbb. Show arnoobbb's posts

I did not agree with the decision, but I support Coach Belichick 100%.

We all makebad decisions and take gambles every once in a while. 

It was a good game, the Pats were clearly 10000 times better than the Colts!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Melrose13. Show Melrose13's posts

Belichick is consistant - All In!!  Not sure of the numbers but the Pats are good at 4th and short.  No doubt he knows them.  If it worked he would be the hero. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shaboom. Show shaboom's posts

99.9% of those critical of Bill's decision, do not have any balls. It took guts. I think they got a bad spot. The announcers talked about "juggle juggle"
    IF he had gotten the correct spot and they went on to win, he would be considered a genious.
    Funny how everyone gorgets Maroney's fumble!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

You can question the decision not to punt, or question the play calll on fourth and two, or question the spot -- it doesn't matter. The game never should have been that close. I suspect that, had the Pats punted, some combination of non-existent defense or jolly zebra intervention would have led to the same result. Belichick is probably right when he says his offense gives him a better chance to win once the game got to that point. I only have two questions now:

How does Belichick now work with a defense he has now evinced absolutely no confidence in?

and more importantly . . .

What does he do the next time these teams meet to address his team's (particularly the defense) inability to play four quarters?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1155922. Show user_1155922's posts

Bill made the correct call, I don't doubt his decision making.  He knows more than us and he's given our team the best chance to win every game. Peyton tore our defense up in less than 2 mins.  It was our best chance to hang on and from what I seen, it was a 1st ddown

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bosnorth. Show Bosnorth's posts

His EGO is bigger than Krafty's now.
    BAD coaching, bad roster decsions, no confidnece in D to win the game..Bad, bad, bad.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from LucicForPresident. Show LucicForPresident's posts

Oh well.  Billy the Cheat had the Colts play video taped, Tommy the Dress knew where the pressure was coming from Billy's cheating, and play still didn't pick up the first.

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Brady and Belicheck = FRAUDS

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigPapiOrtiz. Show BigPapiOrtiz's posts

I don't know why people are so pissed at Belichick for this call.  It was gutsy, but it was the right call given the cirumstances and the momentum of the Colt's offense.  If Maroney hadn't fumbled the ball at the goal line, none of this would have been an issue.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from sebbyr. Show sebbyr's posts

Manning was on a roll... 2 quick touchdowns and the defense could do nothing.. I support Bill's decision... Everyone would be singing a different tune if they had gotten the first down..

We'll see them again.... this one, though, HURTS A LOT... Cry

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dayvidday. Show dayvidday's posts

Still makes no sense. We punt it deep into their territory, they have to score a touchdown in 2 minutes to win. 80 yards and Manning already had two picks. Would have rather seen us try to stop them going 80 yards than risk trying to get two yards.

It was a mistake. Let's see if we make any when we meet them there again for the AFC championship.

Thank God the Jets lost.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thornir. Show Thornir's posts

The Colts had just marched up the field on the prior possession.  Perhaps Belichick felt the Defense was pretty much spent, therefore intentionally giving the ball back to the Colts was as risky as going for it on 4th and 2 and being able to run the clock out.  It wasn't the call I would have made, but I'm just a guy watching the game on TV, not the coach of an NFL team.  I don't get paid to make those kinds of decisions.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from GutsyCall. Show GutsyCall's posts

ZEUS Computer Program Supports Belichick’s Fourth-Down Bid

By TONI MONKOVIC

Frank Frigo and Chuck Bower, champion backgammon players and developers of the ZEUS computer program, have huddled with N.F.L. executives over the years, including with Bill Belichick. They can simulate hundreds of thousands of N.F.L. outcomes in seconds, and their program is customizable to account for the strengths and weaknesses of the offensive and defensive units of each team.

Frigo criticized a key Belichick decision last November in a loss at Indianapolis.

This morning, a little over a year later, Frigo said Belichick was being unjustly castigated. He sent this analysis via e-mail:

A very interesting and controversial decision with the Patriots last night. I read the Advanced NFL Stats analysis and concur with Brian Burke’s general framing of the problem and his support of Belichick. Here are three ways ZEUS breaks down the problem. In each scenario, an extended simulation is performed beginning with the exact circumstance on 4th-and-2 and finishing at the conclusion of the game.

Scenario 1: The custom case for the specific offensive and defensive features of the Colts and the Patriots.

Going for it: 77.3% (Probability of Winning for the Patriots)
    Punting: 75.7%

Scenario 2: The case for two N.F.L. average and equal teams in every offensive and defensive category:

Going for it: 78.6% (Probability of Winning for the Patriots)
    Punting: 76.4%

Scenario 3: The break-even point on the decision occurs when the team with the ball is about 5 percent weaker than N.F.L. average on offense and 5 percent better than N.F.L. average on defense, while the opposing team is 5 percent better than N.F.L. average on defense and 5 percent worse than average on offense.

The results of Scenarios #1 and #2 clearly point in favor of Belichick’s decision, although not by nearly as wide a margin as we might have expected. Additionally, the analysis in Scenario #3 really cements the case for “going for it.” Applying this benchmark and comparing it with the far different characteristics of the Patriots and the Colts makes the call all the more clear.

Thumbs up to Belichick on a courageous and correct call last night.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheScarecrow. Show TheScarecrow's posts

When you're up by less than a touchdown with two minutes left, you want to avoid giving Manning the ball in Ohio, let alone a third of the way up the field at Lucas Oil, especially when they have the momentum. Belichik made the correct decision, unfortunately his team could not execute. The call by the officials was correct...you do not get forward progress without demonstrable control of the ball, which the receiver did not have.

Sections
Shortcuts