What did you think of Belichick's explanation?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriots-follower. Show Patriots-follower's posts

Re: What did you think of Belichick's explanation?

Come on people, this was a bonehead decision.  The defense was playing well enough to stop Manning one more time with a full field.  Poor coaching all around--they abandoned a perfect game plan in the 2nd half for some reason.  

If Maroney doesn't hand the ball over to the Colts defense in the end zone, this game is over. Maroney is done in NE, done.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from gy26. Show gy26's posts

It seems like most supported the call, must have played offense in college...Well, I played defense and it was a brutal call..(just ask Rodney & Tedy)...the offense also threw a pick in the end zone, fumbled in the end zone, and had another two field goals in the red zone...Last I remembered Championships are built on defense...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Martinator. Show Martinator's posts

The safest play at 4 and 2 on your own 28 is to have Tom take the snap, turn around, and pass it through the uprights.

Give Indy the Safety.  Bill has done it before.  From the Wikipedia [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safety_(football_score)]:

"A notable example of a team conceding an intentional safety for field position occurred in a Monday Night Football game on Monday, November 32003. Trailing the Denver Broncos by one point with about three minutes remaining in the fourth quarter, and facing fourth-and-long from their own 1-yard line, the New England Patriots elected to have long snapper Lonie Paxtonintentionally snap the ball against the goalpost, rather than attempt a dangerous punt. Now trailing by three, the Patriots' ensuing free kick traveled all the way to the Broncos' 15. The Patriots defense forced a punt, and their offense subsequently drove down the field for the winning touchdown with 30 seconds left.[2]"

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPKilla2009. Show MVPKilla2009's posts

They just went over the stats on 98.5 the sports hub and 76% of the time that the Pats go for it on 4th down with 2 yards to go they convert that play. And when they pass in that situation they converted 69% of the time so again it was the right call.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mauromax. Show mauromax's posts

As a fan of another team and just watching the game objectively, I thought at the time it was the incorrect call.  In fact, when Brady came back out I thought he'd simply use the play clock and try draw them offsides, taking a delay penalty if not successful.  Although the defense may have been tired, it seemed to speak volumes about the fact Belichick didn't think his defense could make a stop.  He would never admit that, but the fact is he had a chance to make the Colts go 80 or more yards for the win.  I would be pissed as a Pats fan, but I also would have been extacic as a fan if they had made the first down.  The fact is if we were talking about the Minnesota Vikings in that situation doing the same thing (and coming up with the same result) and the Patriots Nation was reacting to it objectively, I'd have to believe most would agree it was not the right choice in that situation.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GrantW. Show GrantW's posts

In Response to Re: What did you think of Belichick's explanation?:
    [QUOTE]The defense was playing well enough to stop Manning one more time with a full field. [/QUOTE]

Maybe you missed that 4 minute span when they put up 14 points on the defense? It took balls to make that call. Had they converted, everyone would be thrilled this morning.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulbrot. Show paulbrot's posts

Brething a sigh of relief and anticipating a comfortable night's sleep, Grady Little pressed the off button on his remote control and headed off to bed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from duckmano. Show duckmano's posts

If the Pat's got the 1st down, he would be a genius.  The team did not execute.  And I doubt even after review it would have been a 1st down.  He's still the best coach in the NFL.  Indy is fortunate to be 9-0.  They will lose a game or two before it is all said and done.  I don't believe the Pats are Superbowl bound this year.  They are in a rebuilding year but they will still make it to the playoffs and possibly win a game or two.  What a great franchise! 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from charlieburke. Show charlieburke's posts

I agree with it.  If in Foxboro, the referees would have given us the first down.  But it was in Indiana, where the colts cannot lose.  we'll see.  interesting that
    two colt touchdowns were much assisted by Pass Interference calls.  I bet some statistician will find that the Patriots have many more penalty yards in Indiana than any other state.  Real football scholars know which is the better team.  cb

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1155922. Show user_1155922's posts

[QUOTE]His EGO is bigger than Krafty's now. BAD coaching, bad roster decsions, no confidnece in D to win the game..Bad, bad, bad.
    Posted by Bosnorth[/QUOTE]

What does EGO have to do with anything, the decisoin was made based on the COLTS previous drive against a tired defense.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from blueheaven1. Show blueheaven1's posts

Some coaches are beginning to believe that you should never punt on 4th down, regardless of the risk.  Some statistics are beginning to back this up...

http://www.oregonlive.com/collegefootball/index.ssf/2009/11/what_if_football_teams_didnt_p.html

Could Belichick be ahead of the NFL on this?  Problem is that is does hurt when you get burned!

Go Pats!  Next up - revenge on the Jets!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Corboomr. Show Corboomr's posts

Belichick gambled and he lost.
    That's why they call it a 'gamble.'

My Monday morning quarterback take is that it was the wrong call, and not just because it didn't work out.  I was surprised he went for it.

It shows to me that the Coach didn't have a lot of confidence in his defense. It  would have been nicer to force the Colts to go the whole field in two minutes.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shogan. Show shogan's posts

He is absolutely correct when he says that he made the decision to win the game.  We all know that (regardless of the calls...we get them too...remember the "tuck rule"!) Indy most likely would have scored either way (punt or no punt) given the way the defense was playing at that point in the game.  Did you see the next two plays by Indy!  The pass up the middle and the run play that took them to the 1.  I think a high school team could have played better defense on those two plays.  It is too bad the defense did not come to play all four quarters!  I do not understand how this one decision by Coach effects the defense going forward...they get paid to play...so to them I would say get over it and do your job.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwillia852. Show jwillia852's posts

The call was necessary. The ball was properly spotted (even the professional analysts agreed). The Pats lost to an 8-0 team. If Maroney doesn't Fumble, or if Brady doesn't throws a Red Zone Pic, or if the Pats D doesnt allow 5 TD's by the Colts, then they win... possibly Big.

Can't Boston deal with the fact that the blame lies on the shoulder of poor execution by the players? The had some flashes of brilliance, but they also had their shots to put the game away and blew it. Stop blaming everyone else. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaguarsfan89. Show jaguarsfan89's posts

[QUOTE]Bill made the correct call, I don't doubt his decision making.  He knows more than us and he's given our team the best chance to win every game. Peyton tore our defense up in less than 2 mins.  It was our best chance to hang on and from what I seen, it was a 1st ddown
    Posted by JOBOSTON[/QUOTE]

I think it was a very gutsy call,but he should have made them go the distance to win the game. The thing that disturbs me most is that Belichick didn't man up and say he made a mistake. He made it seem like he made the right call and that the team did not execute. I do not hate the Pats in fact the pats winning would have helped my Jags but I thought the spot was a good one. Had he caught it cleanly it would have been a first down. The Pats were still 6 points up and the Colts still had to score a touchdown to win the game. The Pats just needed to stop them.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mpusa. Show mpusa's posts

I would not go as far to say it was the correct call! But truly a gutsy call!! If they got the first down, which the replay confirms to me that they did. This would not be an issue. What the real concern is, they had no timeouts to challenge the play. Using timeouts when you shouldn't is a problem. Not only did they miss there chance at a challenge. But having no timeouts probably was  a decision maker to go for it. Because they could not stop the clock, and getting a first down could have ran out the clock! 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

We can all question The Call all day long, which will apparently happen not matter what. My concern is this: Was Faulk the primary "go to" guy? If he was, why wasn't his route at least 5 yards, and then throw to a spot? A 3 yrd route when you need 2 doersn't leave enough room for error, just in case, which the entitre nation saw. Basic football says you run the play to cover the yardage you need , with some to spare. If Faulk wasn't the guy, what else was available? The way the Colts jammed the line, a run wasn't possible. How about Welker on the other side? Moss going medium to deep? A TE? Brady wasn't in trouble via pressure on that play, and the pass was good to Faulk. My disappointment is Faulk's route IF he was the go to guy, which seemingly took any other option off the table. 

IF the defense was as gassed as all the "experts" claim, and the Colts knew they were going to get the ball back via a punt on 4th and 2, why not sell it and run a fake on a direct snap to an up man? The COlts probabkly wouldn't want to try a block scheme knowing they were going to be in good shape, so maybe tyhe {ats could have caught them napping. Who knows.

All I do know is that Faulk made a great catch on a 1.5 yard catch when he needed at least 2 yards. This is similar to Larry Bird taking a great 11 foot shot from 12 feet out.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoHoldingCalls. Show NoHoldingCalls's posts

[QUOTE]You can question the decision not to punt, or question the play calll on fourth and two, or question the spot -- it doesn't matter. The game never should have been that close. I suspect that, had the Pats punted, some combination of non-existent defense or jolly zebra intervention would have led to the same result. Belichick is probably right when he says his offense gives him a better chance to win once the game got to that point. I only have two questions now: How does Belichick now work with a defense he has now evinced absolutely no confidence in? and more importantly . . . What does he do the next time these teams meet to address his team's (particularly the defense) inability to play four quarters?
    Posted by prairiemike[/QUOTE]
    You have a lot more of your defense healthy.  Warren and Green were out.  We lost a couple of LB during the game.  We were already thin and we got thinner.  We need to address that.
    Next, more creative plays in the 3rd and 4th quarters.  With decent running backs returning from injury, we should have more screens, a couple direct snaps, etc thrown in.  It's important that you keep the defense on their toes.  The Colts D knew what play we were running before we did by the end of the game.  You can only run the draw so many times.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPKilla2009. Show MVPKilla2009's posts

They just went over the stats on 98.5 the sports hub and 76% of the time that the Pats go for it on 4th down with 2 yards to go they convert that play. And when they pass in that situation they converted 69% of the time so again it was the right call.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from cindydunn42. Show cindydunn42's posts

Belichick is a great coach. Though I may not agree with his decision last night, it is over and done with. Bring on the Jets.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwillia852. Show jwillia852's posts

[QUOTE]I agree with it.  If in Foxboro, the referees would have given us the first down.  But it was in Indiana, where the colts cannot lose.  we'll see.  interesting that two colt touchdowns were much assisted by Pass Interference calls.  I bet some statistician will find that the Patriots have many more penalty yards in Indiana than any other state.  Real football scholars know which is the better team.  cb
    Posted by charlieburke[/QUOTE]

What a ridiculous post. The officials aren't city specific. Please don't reproduce.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bootha. Show Bootha's posts

I think that was a good decision to go on 4th down. However, using the time outs so he could not challenge the play, not so smart.

I dont think punting would have made any much of a difference in the game result. Manning's team would have marched down and gotten the TD with over 2 minutes on the clock.
    I am sure everyone would be raving about Bill if they got the 4th down, but unfortunately it did not work but I think Pats still looked and played like a better team than Colts and thankfully it was not a play off game and we will come out better.

Go Pats!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from anyoungmike. Show anyoungmike's posts

I call b.s. on all these people coming out of the woodwork saying "it was a gutsy call" and supporting Belichick.  There's only one answer to this question - its was the WRONG call, and everybody knew it.  I agree with rodney Harrison - worst call I've ever seen Belichick make.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

It's not like ths Pats didn't do themselves in before that call. Anyone recall the fumble inside the 5? And Brady's INT in the endzone that was run back to the 20? That's 6 points on FG's right there. Make 'em and we're all reading about how the Colts made it close in the last 4 minutes.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Grady Little, Buckner comparisions. Please they lost their toughest road game of the year by one point. And it was during the regular season. This is transition year for the D, they will be better the next time.