What did you think of Belichick's explanation?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

Re: What did you think of Belichick's explanation?

It was an awful decision. I don't see were the argument is. You make them burn all their timeouts and put it on your defense at minimal. They didn't even do that. Poor coaching. Period. They even burned a timeout that could have been used and on top of that they didn't let Adai score with like 40 seconds left and instead tackled him on the 1. All around stupid decisions. Hopefully they will see them in the playoffs and get another crack at it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pstechen. Show pstechen's posts

I think it goes both ways here - on one hand I like the move and on the other I think Belichick was nuts!  He wanted to win the game plain and simple and he knew that by giving the Colts the ball back regardless of field position it would be an enormous task keeping Peyton and company out of the endzone.

With that said, I believe that it would have been a bit tougher for the Colts to go 8o yds, depending on the punt, with one timeout and score.  I have to say I was more upset with the defensive play calling after we got a 17 point lead.  They allowed the Colts to throw in the middle of the field all 4th quarter, each pass seemed to gain at LEAST 10 or 12 yards.  It looked like the same defensive scheme that lost them the Super Bowl! 

Needless to say that this game will be a deciding factor as to which Patriots team finishes the year - will it be a team that cannot get stops or create big plays or will it be a team that will learn from their mistakes and show that what happened last night was nothing more than a fluke???

I have to say that the Patriots dominated the Colts!  They looked great BUT one decision did not make or break that game, i think you have to look at Maroney's fumble, Brady's INT in the end zone and THEN the fourth down call.  If any of those go the other way this game is won!  I also think the Pats need to re examine their "bend don't break" defense because it is not winning them games anymore, it is costing them long drives, a tired defense and the ability for quick strike teams like the Colts to get back into games that should have been out of reach. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jumbos4320. Show jumbos4320's posts

My biggest problem was not with the decision itself, but with the play calling on both the 3rd and 4th down plays. I've e watched them repeatedly on youtube.  On both plays, the colts had literally everyone up on the line and no safeties.  The entire middle of the field was open on both plays, yet they went with two consecutive outs where two d-backs were located and pressing the receivers.  On the first play, welker easily could have beaten his man on an inside route and would have had no LB to contend with.  On the second play, welker did run an in route from the other side of the formation and clearly beat his man.  He was wide open about 6 yards pass the line of scrimmage.  Also, faulk had a bad matchup against a quicker d-back rather than against a linebacker and his route was about as basic as can be. He just ran a few yards and broke out.  

The play calling, or whatever brady audibled to or didn't audible to, was horrible on both plays.  With the middle of the field wide open and it being a much shorter throw, the play should have been called to go inside, not out.  Again, welker easily would have had a first down.  And, if not welker, moss had single coverage on the second play with a much shorter d-back on him.  All he had to do was run 3 yards and turn around, and brady could have thrown it above his head for an easy grab.  He was a much better option than faulk.  No excuse not to get 2 yards with two downs with welker and moss on the field.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from beefstick. Show beefstick's posts

BB decision, pats vs. colts, peyton vs. brady....all simplified in Big Lebowski terminology

"Sometimes you eat the bar, and sometimes, well, he eats you"

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from djhindesert. Show djhindesert's posts

My 1st thought was 'NOOOOOOOOOOO". Now looking back Bill made the right call to get the team a win for "THAT" situation. Bill knows his team and his defensive linemen and linebackers were 'out of gas'. They had no viable replacements anymore due to all the inactive and injured players on the field. They had lost Banta-cain. They had played their hearts out and Bill was going for THE WIN. Bad spot and no time outs, the biggest gaff of the game, was the downfall. I love Wes Welker, but did we really have to have a timeout so early in the 3rd Quarter.
    I will not be able to watch ESPN for most of the week. We had 'em by the quione's and let them get away. We will still be in the playoffs and if a few of the injured guys get back at full strength the Pats will be able to beat anyone in the NFL, with a little luck and a break or 2, for a change. GO PATS........!!!!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 20thhole. Show 20thhole's posts

I'm not sure it was the correct decision-- I don't think it was, really, but if you  see the video replay on you-tube you can clearly see the refs blew the call.  Watch for how long Faulk clearly has possession   BEFORE his right foot touches down  ACROSS the 30 yd line. Typical home call... just BS, so the gamble would not have failed had the play ben correclyt spotted by the official.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CoachBeOnDrug. Show CoachBeOnDrug's posts

andygatch

Your crazy you can't risk Tom on a sneak play. 

WHAT IF HE HURT HIS KNEE YOU IDIOT

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cults. Show cults's posts

I love reading comments by these sad sack Pats fans.

Manning led the Colts to a comeback win to kick the Pats ax.

What a bunch of sore losers. Now I know what Yankee fans have had to put up with for decades and your loser Sox!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Cool

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml55. Show ml55's posts

In Response to Re: What did you think of Belichick's explanation?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What did you think of Belichick's explanation? : You are letting your loyalty to Belichick cloud your judgement or you are a pink hat. Going for it on 4th down when you are on your own 28 yard line and have a 6 point lead is not the smart play. Can you name another time this happened in that situation? Do you why you can't? Did you notice how much pressure the Colts pass rush was putting on Brady? Did you notice how well the Pats special teams was playing?
    Posted by lrecliner[/QUOTE]

Pink hat? no.  I'm not a Belichick apologist either, and I don't believe he knew they were going to go for it on 4th down before the 3rd down play.  What I do know is that he played the percentages correct, and he had very little time to process the percentages before making the call.  This makes him brilliant in my book.
    Look, forget about the result of the play for a second.  Someone comes to you and says if you go with decision A (going for it on 4th down) you have a 51% chance of winning, or go with decision B (punting) and you have a 49% chance of winning. You'd go with decision A, otherwise you'd be stupid.  But add in the fact that if you go with decision A there is a 49% chance that people will ridicule you, or go with decision B and there is a 100% chance no one will ridicule you.  Belichick says, I don't give a flying you know what about what others think.  Decision A gives me the best chance of winning and I'm going with it.  That is what makes him a Hall of Fame coach. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonirish333. Show bostonirish333's posts

In Response to Re: What did you think of Belichick's explanation?:
    [QUOTE] Belichick is the Emperor Who Has No Clothes; he is an obvious arrogant imbecile who is idolized for the previous success of the time. No coach in NFL goes for it fourth and 2 on their own 28 while leading by 6. He panicked. It is tough to go 70 yards in less than two minutes with only one timeout even for Manning. Have some faith in defense! An ESPN analyst correctly pointed out that Bill Walsh who had the best offense in the history of football would never have left Joe Montana on the field to get two yards, 4th and 2 at his own 28 when leading with less than two minutes. He would have punted and played defense and forced the other team to beat him. Richard Seymour who was a great player was traded when Belichick felt he had slipped a little in his play; it is time to fire this arrogant imbecile who has become an island onto himself. It was not a gutsy call- it was an idiotic mistake made out of fear of Peyton Manning from a coach who is supposed to be a defensive minded coach. Fire Belichick now! It is time for Kraft to show some guts!!!
    Posted by bramrok[/QUOTE]I'd say the only imbecile here is you.  Belichick is the best coach the Patriots have ever had.  He's won more than anyone else.  Just 2 seasons ago they were undefeated.  But morons like you figure if they don't win every single game then the coach must be bad.  He took a gamble and it didn't pay off.  Get over it.  It happens.  Exactly who would you propose be coach if not BB.  I seem to recall a bunch of former BB assistants being touted as the real genius's in the Pats success but when they left BB they all ultimateley failed.  Weis, Crennel, Mangini and even Josh McDaniels have seen their stock plummet.  Yet BB keeps winning games.  He might not win them all, but he still wins the majority.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cults. Show cults's posts

He bobbled the ball dipstick. It should have been punted!!In Response to Re: What did you think of Belichick's explanation?:
    [QUOTE]I'm not sure it was the correct decision-- I don't think it was, really, but if you  see the video replay on you-tube you can clearly see the refs blew the call.  Watch for how long Faulk clearly has possession   BEFORE his right foot touches down  ACROSS the 30 yd line. Typical home call... just BS, so the gamble would not have failed had the play ben correclyt spotted by the official.
    Posted by 20thhole[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cults. Show cults's posts

I guess Billy boy did not have a good enough camera to pick up on all of the Colts signals on Sunday night. Those three SB wins looked very tarnised under Billy Boy!!!!!!!!  In Response to Re: What did you think of Belichick's explanation?:
    [QUOTE]I love reading comments by these sad sack Pats fans. Manning led the Colts to a comeback win to kick the Pats ax. What a bunch of sore losers. Now I know what Yankee fans have had to put up with for decades and your loser Sox!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Posted by cults[/QUOTE]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from cults. Show cults's posts

Patsies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!In Response to Re: What did you think of Belichick's explanation?:
    [QUOTE]My biggest problem was not with the decision itself, but with the play calling on both the 3rd and 4th down plays. I 've e watched them repeatedly on youtube.  On both plays, the colts had literally everyone up on the line and no safeties.  The entire middle of the field was open on both plays, yet they went with two consecutive outs where two d-backs were located and pressing the receivers.  On the first play, welker easily could have beaten his man on an inside route and would have had no LB to contend with.  On the second play, welker did run an in route from the other side of the formation and clearly beat his man.  He was wide open about 6 yards pass the line of scrimmage.  Also, faulk had a bad matchup against a quicker d-back rather than against a linebacker and his route was about as basic as can be. He just ran a few yards and broke out.    The play calling, or whatever brady audibled to or  didn't  audible to, was horrible on both plays.  With the middle of the field wide open and it being a much shorter throw, the play should have been called to go inside, not out.  Again, welker easily would have had a first down.  And, if not welker, moss had single coverage on the second play with a much shorter d-back on him.  All he had to do was run 3 yards and turn around, and brady could have thrown it above his head for an easy grab.  He was a much better option than faulk.  No excuse not to get 2 yards with two downs with welker and moss on the field.    
    Posted by jumbos4320[/QUOTE]

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from cults. Show cults's posts

Can anyone tell me what kind of success Belichick had as a coach before his tenure with the Patsies. He is a LOSER, CHEATER!!!  Let's see what boy genius could do as head coach at Tampa Bay or Oakland. I think about the same as he did with Cleveland or the Jets!!!!!In Response to Re: What did you think of Belichick's explanation?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What did you think of Belichick's explanation? : I'd say the only imbecile here is you.  Belichick is the best coach the Patriots have ever had.  He's won more than anyone else.  Just 2 seasons ago they were undefeated.  But morons like you figure if they don't win every single game then the coach must be bad.  He took a gamble and it didn't pay off.  Get over it.  It happens.  Exactly who would you propose be coach if not BB.  I seem to recall a bunch of former BB assistants being touted as the real genius's in the Pats success but when they left BB they all ultimateley failed.  Weis, Crennel, Mangini and even Josh McDaniels have seen their stock plummet.  Yet BB keeps winning games.  He might not win them all, but he still wins the majority.
    Posted by bostonirish333[/QUOTE]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from cults. Show cults's posts

I can go over homer calls forever in many sports.

If you know your sports, I wonder if you remmber the homer call when refs gave the TD to Reggie Bush for USC against the Irish. ND would have won it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from cults. Show cults's posts

Why are Boston fans such sore losers?

Is it because they have been pounded by the Yanks for over a century or is it you know that it took cheating to win your SB titles or that the Lakers own more titles than the Celts? It is hard to pick out there is so much to loathe about Boston sports and most of it is not very good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackass9. Show jackass9's posts

I think we need to do the math to decide. The first stat we need is what percent of the time the Patriots convert on 3rd or 4th and 2 yards. The second is what percent of the time Manning drives down the whole field to win a game with a touchdown with 2 minutes left. Subtract that percent from the percent he scores when he only needs less than 30 and compare with the pats conversion percentage.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from joseba1. Show joseba1's posts

In Response to What did you think of Belichick's explanation?:
    [QUOTE]New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick discussed his controversial fourth-down call during Sunday's game against the Colts at a press conference today. He said he thought his decision gave his team the best chance of winning the game. What are your thoughts about his explanation?
    Posted by BostonDotCom[/QUOTE]
    I do not have the years of football coaching experience Bill has, therefore I am in no position to question his decision.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

I would have punted. But I am not a guy who could get a team to win a big game. He had the opportunity to crush their nuts with a 2 yard play. He's aggressive, he plays to win. 

One thing is for sure. BB has guts and he will come after you with anything he has even after he's out of ammo. 

I think the story will be different in a playoff rematch. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50Otis. Show 50Otis's posts

I don't necessarily agree with the decision, but I am VERY critical of BB and his coaches for burning the time-outs that he needed for a challenge.  From my vantage poing, Faulk caught the ball for a first down and was pushed back.  Anyone else see it as a first down catch.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from cbpatsocks. Show cbpatsocks's posts

21-0 in the fourth quarter. Talk about a defensive collapse. If the Pats got the first down, Bill would be a hero and a genius now instead of explaining himself.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JaxFBLover. Show JaxFBLover's posts

I think that you are right.  The first down was made and refs blew it!  If the play was correctly called, the Pats win and Bill did the right thing!  I am not a Pats fan and don't live in NE but the fact of the matter is the pats made a first down on the play.   The call stunk and it was echoed by my friends in Florida! Officials shouldn't decide games, players should!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ronamec. Show Ronamec's posts

Real leadership wins championships.  Real leadership also means making difficult, courageous decisions and not taking the easy or popular way out.  If the play had worked out differently, all these cretinous posts would be citing genius and bestowing high praise.  Leaders make their decisions with the best information available at the time and stand by them.  By asking, as by far the most knowledgeable football mind among us, "what gives my team the best chance to win this game?" then following that counsel, the coach did what he is paid to do and what he is expected to do.  Unfortunately, many (and here I include many journalists) lacking similar knowledge, experience, or leadership reserve their judgment until after the outcome is known, hence clearly defining why they are where they are, and he is where he is. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from gixxerjeff. Show gixxerjeff's posts

"HELLOO...YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME".
    Well see them in the afc championship.

Sections
Shortcuts