What did you think of Belichick's explanation?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Re: What did you think of Belichick's explanation?

Take a look around the NFL people, how would you like to be a Browns fan, or Lions, Rams etc.  The Patriots haven't had a losing season since 2000.  They've gone to four Super Bowls in Eight years.  BB has forgotten more about football than most of the coaches in the NFL will ever know.  I thought the call wa crazy, then I found out the odds of winning favor going for it.  That's the kind of stuff BB knows, while other coaches just never question conventional wisdom.  Would you really want him to follow the same old book every other coach follows?  The decision making process that makes him go for it on fourth is the same that has him put a LB in as a reciever, or anything else he does.  I can assure you that when BB leaves New England it will mark the end of thier dynasty.  Like the call or not you have no idea how that game would end if they punted.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

In Response to Re: What did you think of Belichick's explanation?:
         Here's  my  Whole  View   thing  in  a  nut  shell on  that  Specific  Play  .    It's  not  a  Gutsy  Call  ,No Matter  what  NFL  Team  you  like Period!   4TH &  2     on  your  own  28  yard  line  and  your  team  is  Winning,   It's  Basic  101    "You  PUNT  The  FootBall"  And  make  the  losing  team  win  the game the  hard  way  with  only  2  minutes  remaining  the  pressure  is emence,  You  Put  The  2  minute  game  on  the  backs  of  you  defense, Trying  to  do  Basic  NFL  Football  Tactics  "Like  Strip  The  Ball, Sack  the  QB, Disrupt  the QB,   . You  watch  the  Films  Over  and  over  and  over, And  You  prepare  For  That  Specific  Situation  Because  Everyone  Knows  ,Thats  Mannings  Gig  The  4th  Quarter,  He  will  eat  you  up,  You  have  to  play  Peyton Manning  60  Minutes  ,  And  Definately  a  very  Good  4th  Quarter till  time  officially  Runs  out.   The  Game  was  just  about  99%  The  Patriots,  If  they  Would  have  simply punted  with  2  minutes  remaining  It  was  there  Game.           I  think  Tom  Brady  is  a  true  Hall  of  Famer, But  to  Lie  and  say  as  a  3  time  Super  Bowl winning  QB  That  He  Tom  Brady  didn't  Think ? WHAT!!  We  are  winning  with  Two  Minutes  and  Coach  wants  to  Go  For  it  on  our  own  28  Thats   Bull u  know  what.  And  Mr  Bill Belichick   do  not  sit  there  in  the  Press  Confrence  Afterwards  and  Say  I  felt  it  was  our  Best  Chance  To  Win!  Wow!!  Wow!! I  just  wonder    What  Does  Your  Defense  Think?    NFL  FAN PERIOD
    Posted by HELPMEPULLTHETRIGGERPLEASE

LOL!  Basic 101 football doen't work against Manning when your D is tired and Pay-a-ton Manning has 2 minutes on the clock and a timeout.......sorry.  Common sense 101 says that the chances of not getting 2 yards on 2 chances with the Pats Offense is a better option.  2 first downs for the Pats would have won the game.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

Anyone who said it was the right call is a moron.  Belichick suffers from "I love myself syndrome"  He can be wrong and he was wrong period.  My three year old would have made the right call in this instance.  There was only one right call - Punt you idiot!
    Posted by Resoxmanagementarewimps

Keep proving you know nothing about football.....it was the correct call.....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wwsf4ever. Show wwsf4ever's posts

You can question the decision not to punt, or question the play calll on fourth and two, or question the spot -- it doesn't matter. The game never should have been that close. I suspect that, had the Pats punted, some combination of non-existent defense or jolly zebra intervention would have led to the same result. Belichick is probably right when he says his offense gives him a better chance to win once the game got to that point. I only have two questions now: How does Belichick now work with a defense he has now evinced absolutely no confidence in? and more importantly . . . What does he do the next time these teams meet to address his team's (particularly the defense) inability to play four quarters?
    Posted by prairiemike

Mike,
    I think part of the DEF problem was that he had a minimal Def Line that night.  He was missing green and warren.... then Banta-Cain got injured as did Ninkovich... which limited his choices as the starters were getting gassed.  IF he had thWarren and Green to mix in with Wright/Wilfork, Pryor etc then he would have had a less gassed DL at the end.  I believe even the bumbling announcers realized that the DL was getting tired. 

They need to put more pressure on Poutin.   He wil never be on Dancing with the stars because his happy feet remind me of a Donkey in a stall full of manure.  Get him moving and he is less effective.  The DL with all it's substitutions and injuries did not make for the end of the game to include any pressure on Poutin.
    That is not an excuse- Indy has def. injuries also- and they withheld when it was time (with a little help from their friends).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Bill Belichick needs a solid offensive coordinator who knows how to manage the game clock.  Our offense was lost from the end of the second half on...

We had the ball with 2 minutes left in the half and instead of taking a methodical, clock burning approach we came out in a shotgun formation and went three and out... giving them the ball back with time to score.  Bad clock management, bad play calling; all the while Bill B is over huddled up with the D.

In the second half there were no halftime adjustments to the offense, the power running game was abandoned and it was just accepted by the offensive coaching staff that this game was a shootout and clock be damned...

The proof came when they ran the same split formation with Faulk draw up the middle on a crucial third down late in the fourth quarter after running that same trick play at least 7 or 8 times earlier... of course Indy stuffed it.

They used up a timeout coming out of a TV timeout for a commercial early in the 4th; that timeout cost us dearly later.  How can you possibly have two timeouts worth of time to figure out a play and not get the play out in time?

Bill O'Brien's book of plays must be tiny and made up majorily of pass plays.  His power running plays consist of a halfback dive and the sweep, whenever Maroney comes into the game the opposing defense assume it's a run and are almost always right...  he might as well be sending the plays to opponents, it has become that transparent late in the game.  It's making it impossible for the offensive linemen as well as runningbacks. 

I'm starting to think Bill B is scripting the first 20 plays on offense, than handing the duties over to Bill O'Brien and it's not holding up through four quarters?  We need an offensive coordinator who can manage a clock and his timeouts... period.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ddoige. Show ddoige's posts

If it had worked, everyone would be kissing the ground he walked on. Me included. But I still dont think you do that when you dont have a running game that will allow play action.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from vickelta. Show vickelta's posts

Just a call. Nothing earth shattering. Big deal. It's not like he decided to go with an 8 man team or something. Ever think he had so much confidence in the defense that he thought they would stop them from the 28 if the play failed? Over two minutes to go. You really think that another 40 yards would make such a difference with that much time and the Colts suddenly moving at will. It just would have been more excrutiating as they drew the clock down to the same result. The idea was not to give the ball to them. Good idea, actually.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Umlkidfootball. Show Umlkidfootball's posts

I dono if this has been a post yet or any possible thrid opition to the play in question but i would like some feed back on this.  What if the pats gave the ball to any running back and he ran it into the endzone. adovid the fumble and take the saftey 2 points and then we kick it out and the colts start from the 20 if the Gkicker can booz it out, and he can as we have all seen.  this would put the colts with mabye about 145-140 left on the clock with one time out on thier 20. I know it would look weird to the viewer but is it legal and do you think it is a better opition?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from IndplsColtsFan. Show IndplsColtsFan's posts

Bill made the correct call, I don't doubt his decision making.  He knows more than us and he's given our team the best chance to win every game. Peyton tore our defense up in less than 2 mins.  It was our best chance to hang on and from what I seen, it was a 1st ddown
    Posted by JOBOSTON

Hey HD NFL Network brought in an official to analyze the spot - it wasn't a first down...If you are admitting that Belichick knows more than you - you must be in sad shape - I have a goldfish that could have made a better call in the 4th Qtr.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I dono if this has been a post yet or any possible thrid opition to the play in question but i would like some feed back on this.  What if the pats gave the ball to any running back and he ran it into the endzone. adovid the fumble and take the saftey 2 points and then we kick it out and the colts start from the 20 if the Gkicker can booz it out, and he can as we have all seen.  this would put the colts with mabye about 145-140 left on the clock with one time out on thier 20. I know it would look weird to the viewer but is it legal and do you think it is a better opition?
    Posted by Umlkidfootball

Interesting, I have know idea if that is allowed.  It would be very strange to see a RB run the ball 70 yds in the opposite direction.  If this was legal, you would probably see the competition committee close that loophole after they saw it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

In Response to Re: What did you think of Belichick's explanation? : Hey HD NFL Network brought in an official to analyze the spot - it wasn't a first down...If you are admitting that Belichick knows more than you - you must be in sad shape - I have a goldfish that could have made a better call in the 4th Qtr.
    Posted by IndplsColtsFan

Like you, your goldfish is an idiot.....and you just proved that you know nothing about football....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

Posted by Umlkidfootball

That is actually not a bad play....but instead of the RB going beck into the endzone for the safety, they could do like they did a few years back and have the kicking team in and the game and the long snapper snap the ball out of the endzone for the safety....they could have taken a delay of game penalty to make sure they were all on the same page with the play.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

In Response to Re: What did you think of Belichick's explanation? : Interesting, I have know idea if that is allowed.  It would be very strange to see a RB run the ball 70 yds in the opposite direction.  If this was legal, you would probably see the competition committee close that loophole after they saw it.
    Posted by shenanigan

70 yards?  weren't the Pats on their own 28?  Did you want them to run out of the stadium?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In Response to Re: What did you think of Belichick's explanation? : 70 yards?  weren't the Pats on their own 28?  Did you want them to run out of the stadium?
    Posted by m1020us

My mistake, 28 yds.  I agree snapping into the endzone is a pretty good idea at that point in the game.  With a 6 point lead the colts would still need a TD to win since a safety would cut thier lead to 4.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

In Response to Re: What did you think of Belichick's explanation? : My mistake, 28 yds.  I agree snapping into the endzone is a pretty good idea at that point in the game.  With a 6 point lead the colts would still need a TD to win since a safety would cut thier lead to 4.
    Posted by shenanigan

They did that before, but with less time on the clock and a smaller lead....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

Heres my take. 4th and 2.. you get the first down you win. Well we didnt. So why didnt they just lay down, let Indy score then have 2 minutes left to get the game winning FG? You need to have some kind of contingency plan in the event of. What I like about it is that now opponents will have to think thats always going to be a possibility the rest of the season. I hope he goes for it against the Jets on 4th down this weekend. I hope we "disrespect" them as many times as possible.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

In Response to Re: What did you think of Belichick's explanation? : 70 yards?  weren't the Pats on their own 28?  Did you want them to run out of the stadium?
    Posted by m1020us

Thats really funny. Took the words right off my fingertips!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from wwsf4ever. Show wwsf4ever's posts

Re: Your thoughts on Bill Belichick's press conference

In Response to Re: Your thoughts on Bill Belichick's press conference:
    I think it was the perfect explanation and he needs not explain himself any firther. He thought it was a good choice and had the play been challeneged it would have been called a 1st down so I think if anything he is taking teh high ground by not making excuses. he thought it would win him the game, he played to win not to lose and thats why we love him. It just didnt work.
    Posted by MVPKilla2009

The Patriots' controversial decision to go for it on fourth-and-2 at their 28-yard line with the game hanging in the balance fits Bill Belichick's profile since Tom Brady became the quarterback.

Should Belichick have gone for it?
    Bill Belichick's decision to go for it on fourth-and-2 from the Patriots' 28-yard line has been hotly debated. Read what our experts have to say about the decision and then tell us what you think. Discuss ...

» Lombardi: The power of Peyton
    » Wyche: In defense of Belichick
    » Carucci: What was he thinking?
    » NFL GameDay: Good call? Bad call?

Since 2001, the Patriots have converted 76.4 percent (68 of 89) of their fourth-down chances from 2 yards or less. Additionally, they have a 69.5 percent success rate (16 of 23) when throwing in those situations.

While Belichick's decision against the Colts has been widely debated, the Patriots have also shown a tendency to take such gambles in those situations. During their Week 3 matchup with the Falcons, they opted to go for it on fourth-and-1 with the ball on their 24-yard line with a six-point lead. Sammy Morris ran for 2 yards and the tactic was never questioned because it moved the chains.

Interestingly, the Patriots later converted a fourth-and-1 against the Falcons by throwing a quick pass to Moss to ice the game.

Belichick has endured an enormous amount of criticism from outsiders for the surprising decision against the Colts, but further examination of the coach's tendencies indicate the call may not have been as risky in his mind.

Sections
Shortcuts