What did you think of Belichick's explanation?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Re: What did you think of Belichick's explanation?

In Response to What did you think of Belichick's explanation?:
    [QUOTE]New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick discussed his controversial fourth-down call during Sunday's game against the Colts at a press conference today. He said he thought his decision gave his team the best chance of winning the game. What are your thoughts about his explanation?
    Posted by BostonDotCom[/QUOTE]

I have no problem with the gutsy decision to go for it. But, the play called on the 4th and 2...a one yard pass? I've got a major problem with that.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Annieakl. Show Annieakl's posts

I believe him!.....the guy is human, believe it or not....and as a coach is nearly perfect.....look, once in a while even the Tom Brady's or Bill Bellichick's of the world make a mistake.....and one can say going for it on 4th down wasn't the mistake, it was leaving yourself with no time outs that was.....if he had a time out he could have challenged it and probably won.....

he's great, they're great, but no one is perfect.....(including the Saints and Colts!)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrafferty. Show jrafferty's posts

I think everyone needs to step away from the ledge.  The reality is the Patriots still have command of their division.  They pretty much outplayed the Colts for virtually the entire game.  There will be a rematch to this game, and it will be for all the marbles (playoffs).  The Patriots will win that game, and this will be a non-story.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from boomerst3. Show boomerst3's posts

I am more upset that BB changed his defensive strategy in the 4th and went into a soft defense.  This led to 3 scores in a row by the Colts, after controlling the game the whole day.  Then, they got conservative on offense to not throw an interception I am sure, and it resulted in a lot of 3 and outs leading to 2 TD's in the last 4 minutes.  This was a painful as the SB loss to the Giants.  The lack of timeouts, which was poor coaching as well, left them with no ability to challenge that horrible call and spot on Faulk. Game over.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1828846. Show 1828846's posts

Manning Face must be infectious. Brady, Moss and especially BB!! Love it! Especially the BB "clasp my hands around my head and then squish my face in disbelief at what I just did"

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LCDRFlapjack. Show LCDRFlapjack's posts

Suprising reasonable comments from Pats fandom.  I am a fan of an NFC team so mostly impartial and was happy to see a good game.  Many of Belichick's decisions have worked out over the years.  That is both sound judgment and some luck.  You cannot always create your own luck, and this one did not work out.  Had they punted and Colts got a decent return, maybe it would have been an exchange of 30 or so yards.  Manning is more than capable of erasing those yards on a couple of completions while burning little clock. The result could very well have been the same.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BS1967. Show BS1967's posts

Bottom line is that they still are 2 games up in AFCE and still have to go through Indy to win AFC Champ. Colts' only tough game left is @ Houston. They should win out. Best Pats could have hoped for was to win and put a little more pressure on Colts to win out. It doesnt really change much. Cincy is one game up on Pats with games @ Minn and @ SD left. The loss to the Colts doesn't mean anything unless Cincy loses one (then I think the Pats win with tie brekaer so Colts game really doesn't matter). 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from brianr. Show brianr's posts

armchair quarterbacks - i love it

the defense is still a work in progress, but they are certainly making strides - just need to keep getting better every game - hopefully by the playoffs belichick will have confidence in them so that he can punt in that situation

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigduke. Show bigduke's posts

I agree.    If they make the first down, then he made the right call.  If not, then he's the bad guy.  C'mon.   Personally, I think the Pats offense looked impressive. They are 6 - 3.   They have the Jets, Saints, Dolphins, Panthers, Bills, Jags, and Texans remaining.   I see them going 12 - 4.   They will win the division, and make the playoffs.   They can beat the Colts.   I'm not worried.   If they win their next 5 or 6 games, then this team has a real shot at winning it all.    If bigger than the Colts are the Saints.  This coming Sunday if they beat up on the Jets....and I hope they do.....then they need to go to New Orleans and get the W.   Do that...and these guys are really good.   

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hahahahohum. Show hahahahohum's posts

THEY DON'T CALL HIM BELICHOKE FOR NOTHING!!! NICE LOSS LOSERS!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomMe. Show TomMe's posts

I think Belichick made a good, gutsy call, which didn't work.  If the defense didn't keep losing it at the end, it would've been a stupid call, but considering if we did get the first down, that would've most likely been game, and if we punted, most likely would've came to the same conclusion.  I don't know why he's being attacked over it, this is why we love him (Usually his gutsy calls pay off)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from boomerst3. Show boomerst3's posts

Also, someone blamed Maroney's fumble as the cause of the lost.  Of course if he scored the game is over.  But don't forget, Brady's interception in the end zone had the same effect.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrScrappy77. Show MrScrappy77's posts

Lots of talking heads saying lots of things. Here is my two cents.. BILL SCREWED UP. You don't ever risk turning the ball over to PEYTON MANNING with two minutes, 3 timeouts and 30 yards to the end zone. You punt it and let the defense win the game. The same defense that had TWO INTs against Peyton Manning. The Colts were handed this win in a gift wrapped muffin basket with little red bows on it. Bill disrespected his defense. He sent a loud and clear message that he didn't believe his defense could stop Manning from a deep punt. Any other coach in football would get fired over this. Bill holds his players accountable, who is going to hold him accountable? My opinion means little though, I am just some Patriots fan sitting in cubicle at work surfing the internet on his lunch hour.  But guess what, here is the opinion of TEDY BRUSCHI. Remember Tedy, that tough as nails linebacker we all love? That helluva nice guy who played his heart out for 13 years and helped the Patriots win 3 rings. Tedy's opinion means more than any other talking head in the media, and other talking head on this response sections. Tedy's opinion speaks volumes. You can find his opinion on espn's website. Tedy basically says, it was a huge slap in the face of the Patriots defense, and if he was still playing, he would be steaming mad for weeks. We all know Bill is an arrogant guy who hates the media. Fine whatever, I don't care. If I ran into him as a fan in a restaurant, he would do anything to avoid dealing with fans. Fine whatever. He's a brilliant coach, but he messed up big time. Belichik needs to be help accountable. Someone please interview Robert Kraft!!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Robertma18. Show Robertma18's posts

How did the Colts win that game?  Their secondary was made up of rookies, Manning had a horrible game 2 pathetic interceptions, they had multiple dropped passes, and the Patriot played hands down great.   The fact that the Colts with everything going the Patriots way makes it pretty obvious who the better team is.  No argument.  Can't wait for the rematch.  Colts will win it easy.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy08. Show lucy08's posts

He does not need to explain himself to anyone, he  made a decision as a head coach in what he thought was the best interest of the team.  Enough said.  He's a great coach.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from onlymy2cents. Show onlymy2cents's posts

Honestly. Who cares!!! Isn't there any real news to report on today?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from sidbugs. Show sidbugs's posts

Time to focus on next game and also on improving our red zone defense and running game!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kcc0301. Show kcc0301's posts

Hindsight is 20/20. Had the Pats had a challenge left, everyone would be praising Belichick...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel19540. Show joel19540's posts

Really stupid call unless it worked then it would have been praised. It failed  and it   cost the team the game. The truth is if the defense didn't fold the last 10 minutes this would not even be discussed.
    We will never know if the pats could have held them or not.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MANGOTWO. Show MANGOTWO's posts

i know NOTHING about football but even i can determine that what he did was a bonehead move.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

To me, it seems like it was a decision from a position of weakness.  Payton Manning has done this to us a number of times and he has no faith in the defense that has played pretty well against the Colts.  99 times out of 100, 4th and 2 on your 28 is a punting situation, that is the percentage play no matter how you slice it.  If you already resign to the fact that Payton Manning is going to kill us from 70 yards out with 2 minutes left, why not punt and don't play prevent, just load up and go after him and let's see who comes out on top.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from GrantW. Show GrantW's posts

Hell even ESPN's Merrill Hodge supported that 4th Down call stating it's a "championship attitude". This coming from a known Pats hater.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from boston-irish. Show boston-irish's posts

I don't question the decision to go for it.  I question the play call or the execution of the play call, especially after spending a time-out to discuss it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from NelBoston. Show NelBoston's posts

Terrible decision.  Wrong one.  People claim that the % of success was higher of getting the 4th and 2 than punting.  The problem with relying on that stat is that under specific conditions, stats will differ.  At the time, the Pats offense hadn't done anything in quite some time.  Also, it appeared that players looked confused.  Most importantly, I think this sends a bad message to the defense for the rest of the season.  No confidence vote.  Belichick has done a lot for this franchise but he hasn't won one in a long time.  I don't think he'll win another one.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from charlieburke. Show charlieburke's posts

In Response to Re: What did you think of Belichick's explanation?:
    [QUOTE]Bill made the correct call, I don't doubt his decision making.  He knows more than us and he's given our team the best chance to win every game. Peyton tore our defense up in less than 2 mins.  It was our best chance to hang on and from what I seen, it was a 1st ddown
    Posted by JOBOSTON[/QUOTE]

Sections
Shortcuts