What did you think of Belichick's explanation?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mooses15. Show mooses15's posts

Re: What did you think of Belichick's explanation?

I love all these would be coaches.  Most of them would be thrilled if they won a $2:00 lottery ticket.
    On Saturday Iowa threw away 53 seconds so a freshman quarterback wouldn't make a mistake and lose the game. They played for overtime.
    Do you really think those guys are happier that they lost in overtime than if they lost trying to win the Rose Bowl bid?

Good call Bill!!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadAl712. Show MadAl712's posts

Bill's been making some questionable calls especially this season. Taking a knee with a small lead at the half instead of giving the offense a shot, this call aton the wrong part of the field. Not the call, the situation the call was made for

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from trgosox. Show trgosox's posts

Most of you who defend coach's decision seem to justifiy it by saying something like "it took balls to make that call," then attack your opponents by saying "99.9 percent of you who criticize Belichick don't have any balls." Please. Is "having balls" the only basis on which to judge this decision? I admire Bill -- and so do his players, opposing players, opposing coaches, and just about anyone who knows anything about football -- because he makes SMART decisions, not necessarily ballsy ones. And this, in my opinion, was not a smart decision.

Question for y'all: which is more important, Belichick's call or Maroney's fumble on the goal line?? I definitely think it's the latter.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dvoconnor. Show dvoconnor's posts

With the win just two yards away, if Belichick chose to punt and the Colts scored anyway, all the self-proclaimed geniuses would be screaming today that Belichick should have had the courage to go for the win on 4th and 2.

Faulk caught the ball cleanly before his feet hit the ground. It was a clean catch. It was a first down. The Patriots did what they needed to do to win. The refs flubbed the call and they mistakenly chose not to do a booth review.

Hey Colts... we'll see you in January!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tmcc86. Show tmcc86's posts

two words........GRADY LITTLE.......

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from AGilday. Show AGilday's posts

The play didn't work so obviously it was a bad decision. 

Do we ever second guess bad decisions that end up a touchdowns?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JosephWB. Show JosephWB's posts

That was a bad call on Belichicks part.  The next play on defense was just as bad.  They knew they couldn't stop manning and the colts.  What the Pats should have done was allow them to get a quick score. The pats  would have gotten the ball back with time still on the clock.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1155922. Show user_1155922's posts

In Response to Re: What did you think of Belichick's explanation?:
    [QUOTE]THEY DON'T CALL HIM BELICHOKE FOR NOTHING!!! NICE LOSS LOSERS!
    Posted by hahahahohum[/QUOTE]

You must be one of those winning JETS fans with a REX RYAN body

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from gadnd. Show gadnd's posts

now the PR machine for the Genius starts cranking up the nonsensical excuses. Lets face it he is far from a genius. Just a lucky coach( 1st superbowl visorty) and the 2nd and 3rd were the direct result of cheating.

Out coached in the Denver playoff game, Indy championship game, NY Super Bowl ( another idiotic 4th down failure), Indy loss last year, NYJ this year and last nights abortion

This loss dooms them to either a 2nd round loss in either Cincy or Indy

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from geebs70. Show geebs70's posts

lot of kool aid sipping here.  face it, the guy screwed up.  that simple.  you give manning 30 yds instead of 70-80 yds.  there's a reason teams don't go for 2pt conversions every TD because even though they are high reward, they are high risk.  risk outweighed reward on this one.  belichick wins many, but this loss is on him and rainman knows it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPKilla2009. Show MVPKilla2009's posts

"I call b.s. on all these people coming out of the woodwork saying "it was a gutsy call" and supporting Belichick.  There's only one answer to this question - its was the WRONG call, and everybody knew it.  I agree with rodney Harrison - worst call I've ever seen Belichick make. "

They just went over the stats on 98.5 the sports hub and 76% of the time that the Pats go for it on 4th down with 2 yards to go they convert that play. And when they pass in that situation they converted 69% of the time so again it was the right call. And thats why people are saying it was a gutsy call and backing up our coach because he knows and you dont.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3858256. Show user_3858256's posts

Playing Percentages, Knee-Jerk Reactions, Sports Radio/Media, The Essence of BB and the Future of the Patriots in 2009/2010.

Yesterday was not easy.  I sat and watched the clock all day long waiting for Faith Hill to come onto my screen (She looks 25 years-old in the promotion for Sunday Night Football.  My sister thinks I would be sick of her in 6 months too, I beg to differ.  I bet I would be all-in for at least 15 months).

Unfortunately, sports fans as a whole are stupid.  It makes sense too, this is the group of substance using, out late, womanizing, jocks and blockheads that grew up playing sports themselves.  Mix in some fantasy football nerds and sports writers that never played football and you have the perfect melting pot of delusional banter regarding decisions and key events in last night's game. 

I really had to giggle watching Tony Dungy's reaction and listening to his comments after the game (by the way, HD TV is not good for poor Tony--every week his head gets more and more distorted).  He said that BB made the wrong choice last night and should have punted.  Rodney Harrison agreed and said BB made a terrible coaching decision.  Dungy went on and issued one of my favorite Monday Morning Quarterback sayings of all time, "You need to play the percentages right there." He then went on to say, "You cannot give Peyton Manning the ball on a short-field."  Dungy is correct that giving the ball to Mannning and making him drive 30 yards is easier than driving 70.  However, if you cite playing the percentages as your logic, a different comparison is needed.  For those of you that are having a difficult time with this one, let me break it down for you:

1.  The Patriots have zero pass rush.  Manning never takes sacks and even with the improved, fast secondary, it is easy for him to navigate down the field (on the previous drive, Manning led the Colts 80 yards in under two minutes, and No, the Pats were not in prevent but rather up and pressing the receivers).  The Patriots are up 6 and not 7.  When citing the "percentages," this is what you need to ask yourself.  What is more likely?

A.  The Pats gain two yards.
    B.  The Pats Punt and stop the Colts offense.

That is it.  Field position has nothing to do with the argument.  "Playing the percentages" means that you simply choose the scenario with the higher probability of success.  At that stage of the game, BB made the correct decision and it is one that you should expect and come to embrace at this point.  Herm Edwards would be proud as BB plays to win the game.  He put the game in the hands of his best player and the best player we as Pat's fans have ever seen.  When this is over and Brady is gone and BB is no longer coaching, you will understand just how cool that decision was last night.  In the grand scheme of things, it is cool to see BB ignore conventional coaching and go for the win in that scenario.  After all, it is week 9 and the Pats still play next week. 

You see, knee-jerk reactions are what our society is famous for.  The media and all these sports fans love second-guessing.  It happens in business, politics, sports and religion and it is the foundation of argument.  People love to second-guess and they thrive on it.  Imagine if Brady had picked up the first down?  BB would be lauded for his aggressiveness and his coaching confidence.  I love Rodney but he incorrectly cited that BB showed no confidence in his team to stop Manning.  I contest that he showed a tremendous amount of confidence in his offense to pick up two yards.  The defensive unit will understand what they were up against.  Those throws that Manning made last night are unable to be made by any other QB to include Brady.  He puts the ball in the perfect location most times.  The Pats stopped Manning just a few times last night and it was usually a drop or a fluttered ball by Peyton.  Without a pass rush, the Pats would have been helpless on that last drive.  BB made the correct decision. 

I actually thought I might hear BB say that he made an aggressive call and that the loss was on him and then he gave his standard press conference.  Eyeing the media like they were numb skulls and he would never explain to them what he was thinking.  He said, "I tried to win the game right there."  Knee-jerk reactionary people do not deserve him to shed light about what was in his head.  Why aren't these media people crucifying Bill O'Brien for calling a draw to Faulk when Indy was clearly stacked up against the run?  I will tell you why, they aren't that smart.  The Pats had to get one first down and should have never been in that situation.  BB made the call to give his team the best chance to win in a tough situation.  The outcome should not validate or tarnish the decision.  Do you guys know how many times I have drove home drunk?  When I get home I am cool because we saved money on the cab and can now go back out drunk and eat Denny's.  If I got pinched, I am an idiot.  The truth is that I am obviously an idiot for drinking and driving. 

I love BB.  I love that he plays to win and just like his teacher, Parcells, takes risks.  Tony Dungy is a conservative, Christian fellow that goes to bed by 9:00 PM.  BB is a risky, arrogant, intelligent leader of men and probably doesn't get much sleep.  If I am choosing whom to lead my guys, I pick the risk taker 10 out of 10 times.  With large-scale risks, come large-scale rewards.

The future is bright for the rest of the season.  The Pats should beat the Jets and win the division.  That means they will have a home game against the Chargers, Broncos or Steelers and should likely find their way back to the AFC Championship game. I would like to offer two reasons why home field does not matter for the Pats and how in fact, a road game helps their chances to go to Miami this year. 

Gillette is an awesome venue but Robert Kraft has unfortunately priced out all the real football fans in New England.  The stadium is quiet and not at all a disadvantage for the road teams.  Historically, the combination of rowdy fans and the ever-changing elements, gave the blue-collar Pats a significant advantage as the home team used to bludgeon higher skilled teams in the early part of the decade.  The Pats are now the most skilled and their precision passing attack is better realized with a carpet and a dome.  Nobody can stop the Pat's offense and bad weather is no longer an advantage. 

Kevin Faulk is the best Patriot running back ever.  Tom is a leader of men and the most poised player of our generation.  Sebastian Vollmer is going to be great.  Pat Chung brings it and I have known this for some time.  He will be a fan favorite in 2 years.  Maroney is a terrible fit for this team.  Bill O'Brien called a balanced, great game last night (until the end).  Gostowski is the best kicker in the NFL.  The Pats are a pass rush away from the best team we have ever seen.  Welker is indispensable and Moss is the greatest wide out of all time.  The Pats will beat the Jets by four touchdowns and this loss to the Colts will make this team hungrier.  They will come out of the AFC this year and will play the Saints.  Whoever has the ball last in that game will win.  That is a 50/50 chance for those of you that like to play the percentages.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tran999. Show tran999's posts

say anything you want to say, coach. But your offense could not get 2 yards last Sunday and 4 yards last 2007 AFC championship to win the game then nothing is matter.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from getsomerest. Show getsomerest's posts

In Response to What did you think of Belichick's explanation?:
    [QUOTE]New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick discussed his controversial fourth-down call during Sunday's game against the Colts at a press conference today. He said he thought his decision gave his team the best chance of winning the game. What are your thoughts about his explanation?
    Posted by BostonDotCom[/QUOTE]

Typical Belichick. He would say that about his choice of what hoodie to wear for the game. A lame decision; an even lamer justification. But where were the follow-up questions? (Not that the answers would have been any more illuminating.) Having watched the press conference, I do have one criticism. What is the point of webcasting a press conference, if you're unable to mike the questioners? Not knowing what Belichick was responding to was frustrating. I finally switched off.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fanta7. Show Fanta7's posts

In the end, football is all about entertainment.  That game was very entertaining.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from budplight. Show budplight's posts

I'd go for the punt, but I'm not the coach. The mess-up was needing to use the last time-out to make the call.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bmac1960. Show bmac1960's posts

Why explain! He is the best at what he does period.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoctorZhivago. Show DoctorZhivago's posts

GOOD call to move the chains but it was a BAD call going to the PASS!  Brady sneak (consistently gets that yardage regardless of the situation) - don't want to risk Brady?  Ben Jarvus up the middle (freshest legs on the field and very capable).  Colts were all over the short pass.  Why no play action?  Run play was obviously least expected.  I'm still not convinced that Manning really looked like he could go 85 yds, even against a so-called exhausted Patriots D.  So many questions. Just a big hit to all of our egos more than anything else.  Pats always respond well to adversity during the season.  Cue the duck boats...  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from KansasCity53. Show KansasCity53's posts

A team of the Patriots quality should be able to make two yards with no problem.  They make it and the game is over.  Especially against a team that is not very defense minded (at least compared to their offense with Payton Manning at the helm).  I had a bigger problem with them having to burn a timeout right before that play.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeland. Show mikeland's posts

After watching the replays over and over, it's obvious that the Pats got the first down, with plenty to spare - it was the refs that messed up the call and the spot. There was no bobble. Bad call. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from getsomerest. Show getsomerest's posts

[QUOTE] "I call b.s. on all these people coming out of the woodwork saying "it was a gutsy call" and supporting Belichick.  There's only one answer to this question - its was the WRONG call, and everybody knew it.  I agree with rodney Harrison - worst call I've ever seen Belichick make. " They just went over the stats on 98.5 the sports hub and 76% of the time that the Pats go for it on 4th down with 2 yards to go they convert that play. And when they pass in that situation they converted 69% of the time so again it was the right call. And thats why people are saying it was a gutsy call and backing up our coach because he knows and you dont.
    Posted by MVPKilla2009[/QUOTE]

Ridiculous. Those stats don't convey what the game situation was at the time or where the ball was placed. If you go for it on 4th and 2 on the Colts' 38 yard line when a field goal won't help you, that a very different circumstance. An the issue isn't whether you make it in terms of the stats, because you have to take into consideration who you're up against, momentum, and other tangibles and intangibles. I'm not surprised that the Pats make it on 4th and 2 more times than not, but that doesn't mean that this call in this situation against Manning and the Colts on their home field was shrewd, gutsy, or anything else. Just plain stupid.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from LifeTimePat. Show LifeTimePat's posts

[QUOTE]I agree.  The Colts got a PI gift the series before for what, 40 yards?  Punt it and the Refs would have given them that yardage back.  This way both bthe O and D had a chance to win it.   The onlything I give them greif for was using the time outs
    Posted by NewtonDweller[/QUOTE]

Hey newton.. Honestly that's exactly what I was thinking last night when BB made the 4-2 call.  All manning had to do was throw one up for 40 yards and we'll see a flag called.... BB did the right thing.. taking out of manning and the ref's hands.  what he didn't count on was the bad spot...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPKilla2009. Show MVPKilla2009's posts

They just went over the stats on 98.5 the sports hub and 76% of the time that the Pats go for it on 4th down with 2 yards to go they convert that play. And when they pass in that situation they converted 69% of the time so again it was the right call.

Was not a bad call to go to the pass, we convert in that situation going to the pass 69% of the time.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bammonb. Show Bammonb's posts

This was a good call, 99% of coaches would have made the same call.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonreadercomments. Show bostonreadercomments's posts

Interesting how neither Belichick or Mangina have won anything since "Spygate".  Think that has anything to do with the fact that both coaches relied on the data provided by the spying?

FWIW, the Goobers (aka Colts) are not impressive at all; they have won their last 3 games by a total of 7 points.

This is it for me. The Pats blew it in the last Superbowl they played in, but I fell for the false hope again this year. This is the second year in a row that Belichick solely blew the game against the Indianapolis Goobers with inane playcalling and time management. 

Bye-Bye Pats. I wish success to whoever beats the Goobers, Steelers and Giants.