What did you think of Belichick's explanation?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from fcmorris. Show fcmorris's posts

Re: What did you think of Belichick's explanation?

Shows you how much faith Mole Master has in his taxi squad defense. Other logic is Colts will likely finish 15-1 and have first playoff seed. Winning last night's game and AFC East will not prevent another trip through Indianapolis. 

Ultimately, there's one man who could have won that game for us - Rodney Harrison. Missing him as we did in 06 AFC Championship left that gnat Dallas Clark to catch big balls throughout. Rodney there to crack him just once and worry Clark the rest of game would made difference. 

If you're out there Rodney - suit up, we need you.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from fcmorris. Show fcmorris's posts

In Response to Re: What did you think of Belichick's explanation?:
    [QUOTE]This was a good call, 99% of coaches would have made the same call.
    Posted by Bammonb[/QUOTE]

99% of coaches would NOT have made the same call.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cthedude. Show cthedude's posts

Attacking Bill Belichick's character and ego is a ridiculous argument to make.  He is the coach of a professional football team.  All coaches have giant egos, even high school coaches.  They have to.  Would you want a man with a weak sense of himself and his abilities commanding your favorite team?

The difference in this game was several inches that easily could have been spotted in favor of the Pats, which would have nulled any argument against Belichick.  The great thing about Bill, especially as a head coach, is that he will not linger upon this one play like so many others.  ESPN will likely create a dramatic mini-series about it because that's what they do, and that's how they make money.  Bill Belichick is already looking forward to next week's game because that's what he does, and that's how he makes money.  I respect him for that along with every decision he makes for my favorite team.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from smc6. Show smc6's posts

Fire Bill and trade Brady..........Just kidding...Its one game...get over it people!!!
    There's some payback to worry about this weekend....CRUSH NEW YORK

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pillu. Show pillu's posts

i know it hurts lot everybody ..including all players .. but offense was better than defense so call was right ..
    BB needs to take below actions.

1. Take Maronney out .. no excues to fumble ball
    2. get good rusher
    3. take defense in confidence ..

We are going to win against SAINTS.. we will see indy or chargers in AFC ..

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

In Response to What did you think of Belichick's explanation?:
    [QUOTE]New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick discussed his controversial fourth-down call during Sunday's game against the Colts at a press conference today. He said he thought his decision gave his team the best chance of winning the game. What are your thoughts about his explanation?
    Posted by BostonDotCom[/QUOTE]

Child Please!!!!!!!!!!!!! dumb call. Had they made it and scored he would be a genius....but that is not the case..dumb call

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lrecliner. Show lrecliner's posts

This was just a terrible decsion by Belichick. 4th and 2 on your own 28 yardline is a punt situation unless you are behind at the end of the game, not when your ahead.

The Colts needed a TD not a FG and the Pats Special Teams had been playing well all game. Make them go 70 yards, not 30.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from trdracer21. Show trdracer21's posts

he knew he mess up.. oh well everyone does mistake u learn from them and get better!!! hes the best coach period... defense was out of gas!!! so in bill i trust!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Meta514. Show Meta514's posts

I think it's a valid explanation.
    I don't know why everyone is blaming Belichick??? It's Maroney's fumble on the 1 yard line that cost us the game. I think it's time for us to finally admit the whole Maroney experiment was a failiure and move on with another ball carrier.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cthedude. Show cthedude's posts

[QUOTE]Interesting how neither Belichick or Mangina have won anything since "Spygate".  Think that has anything to do with the fact that both coaches relied on the data provided by the spying? FWIW, the Goobers (aka Colts) are not impressive at all; they have won their last 3 games by a total of 7 points. This is it for me. The Pats blew it in the last Superbowl they played in, but I fell for the false hope again this year. This is the second year in a row that Belichick solely blew the game against the Indianapolis Goobers with inane playcalling and time management.   Bye-Bye Pats. I wish success to whoever beats the Goobers, Steelers and Giants.
    Posted by bostonreadercomments[/QUOTE]

This loss is thinning out all the fair weather fans.  A good thing.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Good enough for me. I had no confidence that if we punted the Ball away that we could stop from from scoring. So we lost, he made the decision and gambled, I'm happy to move on.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sodiumpentothal. Show sodiumpentothal's posts

Re: Your thoughts on Bill Belichick's press conference

In Response to Re: Your thoughts on Bill Belichick's press conference:
    [QUOTE]I think it was the perfect explanation and he needs not explain himself any firther. He thought it was a good choice and had the play been challeneged it would have been called a 1st down so I think if anything he is taking teh high ground by not making excuses. he thought it would win him the game, he played to win not to lose and thats why we love him. It just didnt work.
    Posted by MVPKilla2009[/QUOTE]

No problem with his decision to go for it, my problem is with him not implementing a proper back up plan.  You must have an out in every situation like that one and perhaps he did, but was in such utter shock that the decision blew up in his face he forgot to relay the information to his staff.  Or it never even crossed his mind to let them score so TB had an opportunity to win the game. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lrecliner. Show lrecliner's posts

[QUOTE]I think it's a valid explanation. I don't know why everyone is blaming Belichick??? It's Maroney's fumble on the 1 yard line that cost us the game. I think it's time for us to finally admit the whole Maroney experiment was a failiure and move on with another ball carrier.
    Posted by Meta514[/QUOTE]

I agree. He's not a decisive runner and is not that good a pass catcher either.

Just because Maroney fumbled does not mean the rest of team or coach is absovled of everything. It was a bad call period. Apparently you are a "fair weather fan" if you have a mind of your own.

That pass interference call was BS by the way.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwillia852. Show jwillia852's posts

[QUOTE]Interesting how neither Belichick or Mangina have won anything since "Spygate".  Think that has anything to do with the fact that both coaches relied on the data provided by the spying? FWIW, the Goobers (aka Colts) are not impressive at all; they have won their last 3 games by a total of 7 points. This is it for me. The Pats blew it in the last Superbowl they played in, but I fell for the false hope again this year. This is the second year in a row that Belichick solely blew the game against the Indianapolis Goobers with inane playcalling and time management.   Bye-Bye Pats. I wish success to whoever beats the Goobers, Steelers and Giants.
    Posted by bostonreadercomments[/QUOTE]

Goobers? How old are you? What is their record? Have some humility.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Anybody care to guess how long it took the Colts to score on their previous possession?  Less than 2 minutes.  In fact, the Colts had 2 drives that took between 3 and 3:30 minutes and 2 drives that took arounf 2 minutes.

4th and 2 at their own 28 with the game on the line - put the ball in Brady's hands.  No question.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from d-st. Show d-st's posts

Patriots should have gone with a quarterback sneak.  The Colts weren't stopping the running game.  You always take a chance with passing.  Belichick got the Patriots into a few Superbowls so you can't question his judgment.  Patriots will meet the Colts again in the playoffs.  The Patriots will have to use up the time more when they are ahead.  Patriots need better defensive backs.  Pats need to get new defensive players in the next draft.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What did you think of Belichick's explanation? : 99% of coaches would NOT have made the same call.
    Posted by fcmorris[/QUOTE]

Infact, I have never seen anyone going for a 4th down deep in your own territory with 2 minutes left in the game leading more than a field goal.  Someone please prove me wrong here.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

[QUOTE]Anybody care to guess how long it took the Colts to score on their previous possession?  Less than 2 minutes.  In fact, the Colts had 2 drives that took between 3 and 3:30 minutes and 2 drives that took arounf 2 minutes. 4th and 2 at their own 28 with the game on the line - put the ball in Brady's hands.  No question.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]
    But the Colts also had 10 other drives in the game that went nowhere.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bramrok. Show bramrok's posts

Belichick is the Emperor Who Has No Clothes; he is an obvious arrogant
    imbecile who is idolized for the previous success of the time. No coach in NFL goes for it fourth and 2 on their own 28 while leading by 6. He panicked. It is tough to go 70 yards in less than two minutes with only one timeout even for Manning. Have some faith in defense! An ESPN analyst correctly pointed out that Bill Walsh who had the best offense in the history of football would never have left Joe Montana on the field to get two yards, 4th and 2 at his own 28 when leading with less than two minutes. He would have punted and played defense and forced the other team to beat him. Richard Seymour who was a great player was traded when Belichick felt he had slipped a little in his play; it is time to fire this arrogant imbecile who has become an island onto himself. It was not a gutsy call- it was an idiotic mistake made out of fear of Peyton Manning from a coach who is supposed to be a defensive minded coach. Fire Belichick now! It is time for Kraft to show some guts!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

[QUOTE] Belichick is the Emperor Who Has No Clothes; he is an obvious arrogant imbecile who is idolized for the previous success of the time. No coach in NFL goes for it fourth and 2 on their own 28 while leading by 6. He panicked. It is tough to go 70 yards in less than two minutes with only one timeout even for Manning. Have some faith in defense! An ESPN analyst correctly pointed out that Bill Walsh who had the best offense in the history of football would never have left Joe Montana on the field to get two yards, 4th and 2 at his own 28 when leading with less than two minutes. He would have punted and played defense and forced the other team to beat him. Richard Seymour who was a great player was traded when Belichick felt he had slipped a little in his play; it is time to fire this arrogant imbecile who has become an island onto himself. It was not a gutsy call- it was an idiotic mistake made out of fear of Peyton Manning from a coach who is supposed to be a defensive minded coach. Fire Belichick now! It is time for Kraft to show some guts!!!
    Posted by bramrok[/QUOTE]

I can tell from your post----you are a dickkk

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Going-the-Distance. Show Going-the-Distance's posts

BB doesn't need to explain himself...he made the right choice...he made the right call last night-period...you play to win, not to lose...put the ball in your best player's hand and let the chips fall where they may...and yes, if the game was in Foxborough, Faulk has the first down and the game is 'iced' 

if you punt in that situation, Manning probably marches down the field and scores anyway...while the defense is improved from last year, it's not the strength of this team...BB went with his strength, as he should have...it just didn't work this time...it happens 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterwolf. Show misterwolf's posts

Good enough for me. The guy wins games, has won three superbowls, and gets the most out of his players every season. Now we're going to start questioning him when he makes a bad call?  How many mistakes have you mad this week? How many of us were wishing he would go for it? 

I think as fans we sometimes forget that these guys aren't gods, but real people who are capable of making the wrong decision.  We going for it on the forth down was wrong, but we don't know that the outcome wouldn't be the same.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml55. Show ml55's posts

Not sure if anyone has gotten into the actual odds, or the potential odds on this decision.  I think if one does they will realize that Belichick made the best decision for the Patriots to win.
    My odds are by no means specific, but they're probably similar to what the coach thought at the time.  Bottom line is, are the odds better that the Pats make the play on 4th down than the difference between the Colts scoring a touchdown from 70 yards, or 30 yards.  Leaving out the possibility that the Colts could have actually returned the punt a few yards, giving them less than a full 70 to go, but we're all generalizing here. 
    So here it is:  The odds from what I've read and heard are about 60 percent plus that the Pats make a first down on the 4th and 2 play.  You have to decide what the difference between the odds on a 30 yard touchdown drive and a 70 yard touchdown drive by the Colts would be.  Even if you give the Colts a 90-95% chance of scoring a touchdown from 30 yards, you would have to give them less than a 30-35% chance of scoring a touchdown from 70 yards. 
    So if you think there was a 1 in 3 chance that the Colts would have scored after a solid punt then you should side against Belichick's decision.  If you think (like I do) that the chances of the Colts scoring were at least 50/50 then you have to side with Belichick's decision. 
    I think ultimately people will realize that Belichick played the odds correctly.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Didn't like the call, but thought he had the 1st down, if the ref sees it differently BB is a genius.  Only being right 99% of the time isn't bad.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from The-Buddman. Show The-Buddman's posts

[QUOTE]When you're up by less than a touchdown with two minutes left, you want to avoid giving Manning the ball in Ohio, let alone a third of the way up the field at Lucas Oil, especially when they have the momentum. Belichik made the correct decision, unfortunately his team could not execute. The call by the officials was correct...you do not get forward progress without demonstrable control of the ball, which the receiver did not have.

Posted by TheScarecrow[/QUOTE]

Actually, if you watch the replay, he "double tapped," and clearly gained control of the ball before he was knocked backwards.