What did you think of Belichick's explanation?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

Re: What did you think of Belichick's explanation?

In Response to Re: What did you think of Belichick's explanation?:
    [QUOTE]"Do they have stats for 4th and 2 within their 30 yard line or less with less than 2 minutes left? " Does it matter? You said it was a bad call to go for it but teh number support teh coach and he knew that. People like you love to think you know all but teh fact is Belichick does this for a living and he knew what he was doing. Did it work? no and that stinks, but was it a "dumb" call? No it was not because according to teh numbers we convert that play 76% of the time. And not to mention that Faulk got the first down and we were robbed.
    Posted by MVPKilla2009[/QUOTE]
    Of course it does not matter to you.  It is as clear as it can be to me that it does matter.  I wonder if this is such a good percentage play, how many more 4th and 2 inside the 30 yards line with 2 minutes left will be called by any other coaches in my life time.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from acobb12. Show acobb12's posts

If this was such a good decision, and he was so confident that the play would work, why didn't he call it on 3rd down?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jakethesnake53. Show Jakethesnake53's posts

It's still STINKING all The way to Gillette! Doesn't he have any confidence in his defense? If not, he picked all his players, so it was the wrong decision!! If he didn't waste his time-outs, he could have challanged it and he would have won the challenge!!! POOR COACHING< END OF STORY !!!!!!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from AnthonyTigerio. Show AnthonyTigerio's posts

Winners play to win, losers play not to lose.  BIG difference.  He wanted the ball in the hands of his best players, not give it to the other team.  It was not a "must win" game so we learn and move on.   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mitymo. Show mitymo's posts

Re: Your thoughts on Bill Belichick's press conference

In Response to Re: Your thoughts on Bill Belichick's press conference:
    [QUOTE]The decision took guts. I liked it. The ball was incorrectly spotted and the Pats shot themselves in the foot by using all their timeouts so they couldn't challenge. That is how it goes against the Colts.
    Posted by EnochRoot[/QUOTE]

Preface: I am a PATS fan and I think Belichick is the best head coach in the league's history.

This decision took arrogance. They thought the 2 yards was a lock.
    In 40 years of watching the NFL, this was the single dummest decision I have seen a coach make.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml55. Show ml55's posts

scubber - what you and many others are doing are taking the end result into account.  If you were given the percentages before the play happened, you'd have to side with Belichick's decision.  Why would you go against the odds here, if you're playing to win?  Regardless of the result he made the correct call. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mitymo. Show mitymo's posts

[QUOTE]"Do they have stats for 4th and 2 within their 30 yard line or less with less than 2 minutes left? " Does it matter? You said it was a bad call to go for it but teh number support teh coach and he knew that. People like you love to think you know all but teh fact is Belichick does this for a living and he knew what he was doing. Did it work? no and that stinks, but was it a "dumb" call? No it was not because according to teh numbers we convert that play 76% of the time. And not to mention that Faulk got the first down and we were robbed.
    Posted by MVPKilla2009[/QUOTE]

You are blind. This was the dummest coaching decision I've ever seen.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhc90. Show mhc90's posts

Will discussing this ad nauseum actually change the outcome??  Good decision/bad decision, it's like contemplating what could have happened had Pedro Martinez been taken out of a playoff game sooner, or if Bill Buckner weren't playing that night in 1986.  It's not going to change reality. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1220424. Show user_1220424's posts

Why is no one writing about the other bad coaching decisions?  Going for it made may have made sense but why throw to someone the Colts expect.  They knew it would be Faulk or Welker.  Also, At the end of the game they were pure vanilla on both sides of the ball, no throws downfield, no blitzes.  That is what got them the lead so why abandon it? they were playing not to lose rather than playing to win. The offense is just too predictable.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GutsyCall. Show GutsyCall's posts

"This was the dummest coaching decision I've ever seen."

Uh huh, the duMMest, by far, so saith Einstein.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

[QUOTE]scubber - what you and many others are doing are taking the end result into account.  If you were given the percentages before the play happened, you'd have to side with Belichick's decision.  Why would you go against the odds here, if you're playing to win?  Regardless of the result he made the correct call. 
    Posted by ml55[/QUOTE]
    One more time, I don't buy your percentage assertion.  Football like many other sports, it is an emotional game, the situation counts.  If it is such an overwhelming odd like you said then why no ones ever do this in a game?  Your premise is not correct or at least you should treat it as at best a conjecture and not at all a given fact.  I fully understand the premise of trying to play the odd, and I don't know for sure what is right odd in this situation for doing one or the other, but people don't normally do this for a reason.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CoachBeOnDrug. Show CoachBeOnDrug's posts

SHUDUP ALL OF YOUSE.

Coach made the right call the defense eats dog doo and we all know it.  What else could coach do but go to Tom if was a bad call by a home town ref.

My God how I love coach he is GOD !

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lrecliner. Show lrecliner's posts

[QUOTE]scubber - what you and many others are doing are taking the end result into account.  If you were given the percentages before the play happened, you'd have to side with Belichick's decision.  Why would you go against the odds here, if you're playing to win?  Regardless of the result he made the correct call. 
    Posted by ml55[/QUOTE]

You are letting your loyalty to Belichick cloud your judgement or you are a pink hat. Going for it on 4th down when you are on your own 28 yard line and have a 6 point lead is not the smart play. Can you name another time this happened in that situation? Do you why you can't?

Did you notice how much pressure the Colts pass rush was putting on Brady?
    Did you notice how well the Pats special teams was playing?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from K-max. Show K-max's posts

All he had to say is his Defense suxs and he has no faith in what he has constructed there.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrsteve809. Show mrsteve809's posts

I understand Belichick's explanation for what could not have been a worse call. So much for the notion that he is a "genius". I thought his trades and draft picks were questionable (especially the Richard Seymour trade) but this is the worst decision yet. Has anybody considered drug testing him? Just wondering.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoHoldingCalls. Show NoHoldingCalls's posts

[QUOTE]I understand Belichick's explanation for what could not have been a worse call. So much for the notion that he is a "genius". I thought his trades and draft picks were questionable (especially the Richard Seymour trade) but this is the worst decision yet. Has anybody considered drug testing him? Just wondering.
    Posted by mrsteve809[/QUOTE]
    I question BB not having many capable coordinators around him, forcing him to wear too many hats.  Offense playcalling is especially troublesome in the 2nd half of all games.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jean-Claude. Show Jean-Claude's posts

Belichick's explanation was, tellingly, from the mind of a very arrogant man who undoubtedly believes that only he has the true knowledge in these critical moments -- not his team or ten million other people, including scores of football coaches and professionals.  One can't help noticing that he uses terms like "my opinion" and "that's there opinion" -- not considering for a second that it is not a matter of opinion but what is smart and prudent, and what is stupid and risky.  My suggestion for the coach is to retrieve some of those football books he gave to the Naval Academy -- obviously, there were some he had not read.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from GregNap. Show GregNap's posts

The defense was gassed again, just like in the 2007 AFC Championship, THAT is the issue with farther reaching implications for the season.  We were told it was the "old guys" then - - what now?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoHoldingCalls. Show NoHoldingCalls's posts

[QUOTE]The defense was gassed again, just like in the 2007 AFC Championship, THAT is the issue with farther reaching implications for the season.  We were told it was the "old guys" then - - what now?
    Posted by GregNap[/QUOTE]
    Half the defensive line out to injuries and the loss of 2 Linebackers all add up to the loss of any pass rush and no one getting any rest on any of the drives.
    Hopefully we can get more healthy.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1155922. Show user_1155922's posts

[QUOTE]Is BB's new nick name Bill "Grady Little "Belicheat now? What a st upid call!
    Posted by BbsBlunder[/QUOTE]

Well if the Colts had their defense set the way you write. Then Faulk could of squeezed between ST UPID and got the first down you illiterate JETS fan LOL

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mumbles. Show mumbles's posts

It was a dumb move on his part. They should have punted. Thus putting the Colts way back near their end zone. Instead of 29 yards to our end zone. An easy march for Manning and crew. I was stunned. But, it is what it is and it is now water over the damn. But what a horrible ending to an otherwise great game for us. Hopefully the team can recover and move on through the season. Albeit a bit less secure than had they won this one.Cool

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from celbabe. Show celbabe's posts

I'm thinking he doesn't owe us one...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoHoldingCalls. Show NoHoldingCalls's posts

[QUOTE]All I can say Is I hope everyone learned a lesson last night...that no matter how much you think you can do you can always do more...as much as we controlled that game we didnt have what it takes to finish this team....We had to Goal to go situations where we gave the ball away,. and to top it off we give away the ball on downs on our side of the field with a 6 pt lead.......We can only learn...and if this situation come up again...hopefully we continue to play agrressively, instead of softening up in the 2nd half..     We keep shooting oursleves in the foot and Billicheck dont run the ball.....Maroney does or  tries to...whateva...We need to regroup put an Arrse -whippin on da Jets and make this run...Whats upsetting is we lost all 3 road games this year and were up by 10 or more each time at the half...WT F....thats not Patriots ball...
    Posted by patsfan76[/QUOTE]
    This is a very troubling observation.  If I'm correct, all 3 road losses involved poor red zone execution in the 2nd half as well.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from andygatch. Show andygatch's posts

Right call, wrong play.  Should've spread them out on third down and then gone for a quarterback sneak.  No fourth down to worry about.  Of course, if they had confidence in their running game, then we might be having a very different discussion today.