What did you think of the jets draft? please leave all bias at the door.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlemaslow. Show seattlemaslow's posts

Re: What did you think of the jets draft? please leave all bias at the door.

[QUOTE]Grading any team's draft at this point is asinine. I understand what you're saying, Killa and I agree.  The Jets, on paper, had a good weekend. But all you need to know about the draft can be summed up with two names — Manning & Leaf. Who knows if Sanchez will be like one or the other or somewhere in between?  Clowns like Kiper and the pathetic troll Leon can crow all they want about the Jets draft.  We'll see in the fall. 
    Posted by Fargo[/QUOTE]

Fargo is right on, but man do I hope it's Leaf and not Manning...the worst scenario is Sanchez is good and hits his prime right as Brady is nearing the end of his run...but then again, that's seven years away...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from patpscyho. Show patpscyho's posts

The Jets draft is irrevelant, the big issue is the management of the team which is its achilles heel. As long as you have Woody, Tannebaum, and the HC whoever it is at the time, all on different pages, you will not have a team that can legitimately challenge.

The great thing about the Patriots is that the relationship between the three most important component of football, the quarterback, the head coach, and the owner has created the "perfect storm" (for a lack of better term). This is BB's team to run so he has no pressure to draft for immediate success. Kraft is the perfect owner- I often think of Lincoln who said to Grant, the general who won the Civil War: "My interfering with you was my mistake, this war is now yours to run." Brady is the perfect quarterback because he buys 100% into BB's system and philosophy, and when your superstar quarterback does that, everyone else falls right in step.

The Jets may have drafted with a lot of dare, but they also drafted for quick results which is not always good practice. You want to draft for the pipeline, and build depth and take the time to inculcate technique and system knowledge. Every once in a while you get someone who is talented enough to cover up their flaws, but that will always get exposed, especially in the playoffs. 

So, following the laws of probability as it relates to drafting for short-term success, it's either going to be a flash or a bust, for the Jets- as opposed to the consistency that the Patriots have, year in and year out. They'll get peaks and valleys, and eventually you're going to have Woody breathing down Tannebaum's neck, and Tannebaum starts going in a different direction than Ryan because he's under the gun, and that's when the whole thing unravels.

So even if Sanchez turns out to be a superstar, he is only one player, not a team. And that is why Jets will never legitimately challenge, until they get all three on the same page and start drafting for the pipeline.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Tim Tebow? Please.  He'll be a wildcat QB at best.  I actually like the Sanchez and Green picks from a Jets point of view, and I am disappointed that I have to hate Sanchez now, I grew to like him throughout the process.

The Jets really need receivers though.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Honest none hating Jets view,

Offseason FA moves solid B would have been and A if they would have brought in a veteran QB

Draft C they game up too much and were forced into Sanchez, they also had needs on other areas but couldn't get nothing added

They managed like Jets usually do, bring a name regardless what it takes.  That worked for Curtis Martin (future hall of fame 1st ballot) but how has it worked since then?  Not good at all, Sanchez a good QB but does he have the strong arm to throw in wind or down field?  I don't think he's a bust just not the next Namath as he's made out to be.

Over all the Jets stayed flat comparing last year's team to this one's.  Their D is better but their O is worse without a true # receiver.  I'm sure they are glad to have 3 RBs, teams are going to stack the line and one or two guys will be hurt by mid season.

Hope that's honest none bias enough

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

[QUOTE]Thats true all I am saying is way too many people are quick to sh*t all over teh jets draft just because they hate Leon and its BS. They didnt have a A+++++ draft but they had a pretty good one. Sanchez should be a good draft pick and Springs has real upside.
    Posted by MVPkilla[/QUOTE]

Didn't they only get 3 people in the draft?  They did need a QB, but there are other needs that they have that were not addressed.....RB was not one of those needs.....they really need another WR and more defense.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 00chief00. Show 00chief00's posts

I liked the shaun green pick alot, but to give up so much for sanchez is a major risk. If he was in next years draft he isnt even a first rounder let alone a high first rounder. The jets panicked big time. Sanchez could still turn out to be solid, but his downside is far greater then his upside. You dont trade up for a player like that IMO.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

I think if you're the Jets you needed to get yourself a QB with franchise potential, or at least the potential to be good.  (Too bad the still didn't have Pennignton--oops!)  They have hired a defenisve-minded coach that has some nice building blocks on defense.  They needed to get themselves someone to build around on the othe side of the ball.  Is Sanchez a sure thing?  No.  But I think if he turns out to be a decent QB they will be ok after Ryan has a few years to build a defense.    

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

Draft 2009more
    PickPlayer
    Rd 1, Pick 5 (5)Sanchez, Mark QB 
    Rd 3, Pick 1 (65)Greene, Shonn RB 
    Rd 6, Pick 20 (193)Slauson, Matt OG 

Sanchez will be the most productive QB from this year's draft when all is said & done. He puts the ball on the numbers and away from the defender when coverage is there; also, is mobile. He carries himself in a positive, confident manner. Unlike the Cutler's of the world who carry themselves in a negative, pissy manner. Great pick - IMO the Lions should've picked this guy.

Shonn Greene could be the starter on opening day if Thomas Jones doesn't pull his head out. What the heck does Jones think, that he's actually good? Anyway this is a good pick too.

Slauson is decent but not great. This guy could flop.  Nebraska Olinemen are not what they once were. Bill Callahan -now NYJ Oline coach- at NEB recruited him. Didn't Callahan get fired at NEB? I dont see it IMO.

2 out 3 are good, the problem is there is only 3 picks

draft grade straight B - two potential starters

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

Killa:  It all depends on how Sanchez develops.  If he's another Matt Leinart than they will have mortgaged their future on another 1st round bust (like last years).  I like their RB they took. 

They may have filled some need positions but they won't have much proven depth behind these players because they keep moving up in the draft and aren't developing good young talent. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Great feed back so far. I agree that only coming away with 3 picks is a bad thing but I just dont have a good feeling about Sanchez for us i mean. I have this feeling that he will get hot right as Brady starts to decline which would flip the power in the AFC east over to teh Jets I think. I mean I know i am getting ahead of myself and this could be a total bust but i thought going into teh draft he was a very good pick up and the Jets got him.

Having a solid ground game and a good defense is all it takes for a rookie QB to bo successful early in his career and they have those two things in New York and they have a good Oline in front of him and that could be dangerous for the Pats.

Someone said something about the Owner, GM, and head coach needing to be on the same page but how do you know they are not on the same page with Rex Ryan? He is the ne whead coach and he could bring some succsess to that team so maybe they are on the same page we dont know yet.

I am not saying this kid will win them a super bowl because i dont think he is that talented but he has the ability to make them a playoff team if he does not fall on his face. Jets fans have a good reason to be excited, they just got the best QB in the draft.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

Killa:  Come off the ledge man!  The Jets aren't even close to being in the same class with the Pats.  In fact, I will bet that O'Connell ends up being a better QB than Sanchez and the Pats will continue to be succesfull for years to come - even after the Brady era comes to an end.

The Jets are mortgaging their whole future on expensive free agents and a ton of first round picks (Sanchez, Gholston, Brickshaw, Mangold, Raveis).  These are all very expensive players and they have very little depth behind them. An injury or there will ruin their season completely. 

Rex Ryan is an entertaining guy but will get schooled by Belichick.  It's just a matter of time until the Jets whole team comes crumbling apart.

No worries my friend, all is well in Pats land for years to come - especially with another wagon full of draft picks next year! 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from patpscyho. Show patpscyho's posts

Tannebaum has had a history of clashing with HC's.. Manghini wasn't the only HC he had a clash with. I believe this occurs because his relationship with Woody is not stable, e.g., long term security is not guaranteed, so he feels the pressure for short-term success, whereas the head coach knows better, that you have to build for long term success.

I would be very happy if we got 5 more productive years out of Brady. But don't forget we have O'Connell waiting in the wings.. O'Connell flew largely under the radar because he had such an awful OL at SD state.. you could see this clearly in preseason last year because he had the bad habit of running away from the pocket as soon as the play broke down, instead of trusting that he had a good OL that would extend him time for more reads or options.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

I am glad you are so confident delux but the NFL works in cycles and all i am saying is if Sanchez pans out he will be a great young QB for like the next 9 or 10 years if he pans out and thats a big deal. If he is not teh bust you say he is this could bring a lot problems to the Pats. However i do not think he will ever be able to out think a Bill Belichick defense so i am not too worried i am just saying dont underestemate this kid or the jets they have a good roster right now. better then some of us think. I dont like to look past anyone and a lot of people on here look past the jets and i just dont like it, they COULD be a very good team next year or they could s u c k but i am not ready to look past them.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]I am glad you are so confident delux but the NFL works in cycles and all i am saying is if Sanchez pans out he will be a great young QB for like the next 9 or 10 years if he pans out and thats a big deal. If he is not teh bust you say he is this could bring a lot problems to the Pats. However i do not think he will ever be able to out think a Bill Belichick defense so i am not too worried i am just saying dont underestemate this kid or the jets they have a good roster right now. better then some of us think. I dont like to look past anyone and a lot of people on here look past the jets and i just dont like it, they COULD be a very good team next year or they could s u c k but i am not ready to look past them.

As much as we should look at players as individuals we can't ignore who else has come out of that program.  That's the biggest concern Jets fans should have.  Carroll awesome (top 3) college coach but not so good nfl.  He's system has been great for college QBs but those Qbs have not done much in the pros.

Also, I would like to know how O'Connell matches up with Sanchez kind of our future vs their future type thing.  Brady can play for another ??? years but lets say he hangs them up after this season.  
    KO vs MS
    Bigger QB-KO
    Arm strength-KO
    Accuracy-MS
    Mobility-MS-both can get out of trouble and buy some time but Sanchez can make plays with his legs and gain yards rushing, O'connell had a faster 40 time.
    Experience-KO (looking at college only)
    Better college program-MS
    Weapons around him-KO
    Better coaching for QB-KO
    Mentor-KO 

Kevin O. could have been a 1st round pick if he was more accurate.  That's the biggest flaw coming out of college and I'm not making that a light poin,t accuracy is very important in NE's type of offence but that can be coached.  This kid is 6'5" 225 with a cannon for an arm.  If BB made Matt Cassell a second round pick what can he make KO who would have been if he had the accuracy?

Comments?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

I agree with that assesment, O Connel has time to develop and a great QB in front of him to learn from and Sanchez does not have those things. I would say Sanchez is the better of those two QBs but at this point tehy are both up in the air.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

[QUOTE]I am glad you are so confident delux but the NFL works in cycles and all i am saying is if Sanchez pans out he will be a great young QB for like the next 9 or 10 years if he pans out and thats a big deal. If he is not teh bust you say he is this could bring a lot problems to the Pats. However i do not think he will ever be able to out think a Bill Belichick defense so i am not too worried i am just saying dont underestemate this kid or the jets they have a good roster right now. better then some of us think. I dont like to look past anyone and a lot of people on here look past the jets and i just dont like it, they COULD be a very good team next year or they could s u c k but i am not ready to look past them.

Killa:  I never said Sanchez would be a bust.  Ryan Leaf was a bust.  I doubt Sanchez will ever be in Leaf's class but I envision him being more of a Joey Harrington.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I honestly think O'Connell has more ability and upside than Sanchez does.

My point has been that the Jets have paid a very heavy price over the last couple years for expensive free agents and top 10 draft picks.  Because of this, they aren't able to spread the wealth to create quality depth at a lot of their positions.  Right now their depth is at QB and RB.  They have very little depth on the OL, DL, WR, etc.. 

While I would agree, they look pretty good on paper right now with their starters, the reality is, they aren't even close to being in the Pats class.  As long as BB is our head coach, they never will be!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

[QUOTE]As much as we should look at players as individuals we can't ignore who else has come out of that program.  That's the biggest concern Jets fans should have.  Carroll awesome (top 3) college coach but not so good nfl.  He's system has been great for college QBs but those Qbs have not done much in the pros. Also, I would like to know how O'Connell matches up with Sanchez kind of our future vs their future type thing.  Brady can play for another ??? years but lets say he hangs them up after this season.   KO vs MS Bigger QB-KO Arm strength-KO Accuracy-MS Mobility-MS-both can get out of trouble and buy some time but Sanchez can make plays with his legs and gain yards rushing, O'connell had a faster 40 time. Experience-KO (looking at college only) Better college program-MS Weapons around him-KO Better coaching for QB-KO Mentor-KO  Kevin O. could have been a 1st round pick if he was more accurate.  That's the biggest flaw coming out of college and I'm not making that a light poin,t accuracy is very important in NE's type of offence but that can be coached.  This kid is 6'5" 225 with a cannon for an arm.  If BB made Matt Cassell a second round pick what can he make KO who would have been if he had the accuracy? Comments?
    Posted by Pats7393[/QUOTE]

Dude, are you kidding me?  You think Sanchez has more mobility than Kevin O'Connell?!?!?  KO lead his team in rushing!!!!  Also, you're scrutinizing KO's accuracy, but their is a reason why he led his team in rushing as the QB.  He had no WR's!!  It helps a QB's accuracy when you actually have decent WR's running good routes.

You heard it here today...  20 years from now when we look back at the careers of  Sanchez and Kevin O'Connel, KO will have the better career.  Just my humble opinion!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I like O'Connel better than Sanchez myself. But part of that is the cost ratio and the fact that KO is a way better athlete.

I feel bad, because I bagged so hard on the New Jersey draft. They did fill their two needs. But it is hard to separate my evaluations of the players from a draft.

If you like those players it seems good. If you don't it seems bad.

Going on addressing needs it was adequate. I would have tried to find a way to take a WR and a RB as well without mortgaging the financial future on a few picks.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]Dude, are you kidding me?  You think Sanchez has more mobility than Kevin O'Connell?!?!?  KO lead his team in rushing!!!!  Also, you're scrutinizing KO's accuracy, but their is a reason why he led his team in rushing as the QB.  He had no WR's!!  It helps a QB's accuracy when you actually have decent WR's running good routes. You heard it here today...  20 years from now when we look back at the careers of  Sanchez and Kevin O'Connel, KO will have the better career.  Just my humble opinion!
    Posted by deluxbury[/QUOTE]
    Like totally dude, when I talk mobility I'm talking able to make plays down field that includes been accurate throwing from the run.  Before you start comparing these guys do your research and look at all of the evaluations of O'Connell coming out of college.  And I do believe he will be the better QB over time.  If running the ball was a mark for a great QB Vick would be better than Brady is that what you are saying?  Mobility is not just tuck ball in and run down hill Dude!  O'Connell is a Big Ben Mark Sanchez is a Steve Young.  Not in ability but type of QB play. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

In a honest taking my red/blue colored glasses off. I think the draft may not do a lot for the Jets in 2009, but I can see it paying off some dividends in 2010. Right now the big question on Sanchez is playing time. He didn't have as much game day experience as a Palmer or Leinert coming out of USC. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up starting Clemons at the beginning of the season and then finish up with Sanchez (like Jay Cutler). In the long run I could see Sanchez being the best QB of this years draft, he has a lot of potential, but has had a history of injuries in college. Greene I see being a backup this year behind Jones and Washington. I don't expect to see him on the field much this year, but in a few years when Jones is no longer on the team I'd expect Greene to take his role. There last pick might not even make the team.

IMHO I could see the Jets having sort of a opposite season from last year as they need to adjust to a new defensive scheme. On offense there's some questions in the passing game (yeah they may sign Burress, but is he really a reliable option in '09). I wouldn't be surprised if this year they start out 3-8 and finish 4-1 for a 7-9 season.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

The Jests draft hinges on how well Greene and Sanchez perform. If Sanchez is pressed into duty early on he could struggle (Sparano defense and Belichick defense on the sched. twice each). It's still wait and see; Sanchez has a good o Line and a decent running game to work with and that should help. In NYC it's all about expectations: if the Jets don't make the playoffs count on everyone (fans and management included) playing the blame game, as always.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]In a honest taking my red/blue colored glasses off. I think the draft may not do a lot for the Jets in 2009, but I can see it paying off some dividends in 2010. Right now the big question on Sanchez is playing time. He didn't have as much game day experience as a Palmer or Leinert coming out of USC. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up starting Clemons at the beginning of the season and then finish up with Sanchez (like Jay Cutler). In the long run I could see Sanchez being the best QB of this years draft, he has a lot of potential, but has had a history of injuries in college. Greene I see being a backup this year behind Jones and Washington. I don't expect to see him on the field much this year, but in a few years when Jones is no longer on the team I'd expect Greene to take his role. There last pick might not even make the team. IMHO I could see the Jets having sort of a opposite season from last year as they need to adjust to a new defensive scheme. On offense there's some questions in the passing game (yeah they may sign Burress, but is he really a reliable option in '09). I wouldn't be surprised if this year they start out 3-8 and finish 4-1 for a 7-9 season.
    Posted by Wizardsjag[/QUOTE]

I agree with you, the Jets D might rank top half of the league depending how quickly they adjust to it, their offense will be probably ranked mid to low 20s compared to the league next year.  They don't have the receivers that scare or anyone would need to game plan for so my guess you'll see 8 men in the box for most of their games.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeffab. Show jeffab's posts

...in the end, a football organization wants to put butts in the seats.  The drafting of Sanchez may or may not work out down the line, but the immediate excitement that it generates among Jets fans, and the tickets the pick will likely sell will pay off short term.  None of us are clairvoyant so we don't know what's going to happen - B.B. takes the safe, smart route - which will create a solid team, but makes for a somewhat boring draft for us as fans.  The Jets rolled the dice, and some times that's what you need to do. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Delux I wa snot saying you said he was a bust what I meant is I have seen way too many people call him a bust so far and its too early for that. All that does is make Pats fans look like morons who cant step away from our love for the Pats to make a real judgement about a player. Sanchez might not pan out but i think he will either way its not time to call him a bust. In 3 years if he has not had a winning season yet then yes call him a bust but give the kid 3 years. Thats all I meant I was not trying to call you otu ro anything delux, not at all.

I agree with the point that the Jets dont have much depth but if they stay healthy all year and catch a few lucky breaks they could be a playoff team, thats no joke. If teh Phins can go from 1-15 then the Jets can go from 9-7 to a playoff team. I agree they dont have depth but if they are lucky and dont catch the injury bug they could make a run at it. And its dumb of any Pats fan to look past anyone. Thats when you get cought slipping. Look at the Giants game, how many of you didnt give them a shot at all? you looked right past the Giants and we lost the super bowl. I was shocked when we lost that game but i was not surprised it happen because i gave them a shot, i knew they had a soldid D and big receivers that could challenge our DBs. because i took off my red/blue glasses and judged that game as a football fan and not a pats fan i was able to see that they could beat us and they did. Thats all i am saying is dont look past the Jets just because we hate them and their fans. they have a solid roster and a good head coach. A young QB with a good Oline, a good running game and a better then good defense. I think the thing that will hurt them the most is their lack of a true number one WR. They must feel dumb for cutting Coles now because he would have made them a better team. a young QB needs a group of WRs that can run good routes and be where they are sopossed to be and they dont have many good WRs. And TE Keller is only one year in so he cant be counted on much either as he is still a very young player. So they have wekanesses but they are not someone we should take lightly.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

[QUOTE]Like totally dude, when I talk mobility I'm talking able to make plays down field that includes been accurate throwing from the run.  Before you start comparing these guys do your research and look at all of the evaluations of O'Connell coming out of college.  And I do believe he will be the better QB over time.  If running the ball was a mark for a great QB Vick would be better than Brady is that what you are saying?  Mobility is not just tuck ball in and run down hill Dude!  O'Connell is a Big Ben Mark Sanchez is a Steve Young.  Not in ability but type of QB play. 
    Posted by Pats7393[/QUOTE]

Love the sarcasm D bag!  You should try and be more specific with your analysys so you don't have "dudes" like me disagreeing with you.

Sanchez has one year of starting experience with an All-Pro team around him.  KO was pretty much the whole offense for his teams all 4 years of college.

Glad we can disagree that KO will be the better QB over time.