What didn't the Patroits kick a field goal at end of the game vs punting?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from salsa-kid. Show salsa-kid's posts

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

Re: What didn't the Patroits kick a field goal at end of the game vs punting?

BB seeing  what Gski can do punting. Game situation to see how accurate he could be... it was a safe play but great experance for Gski and helps BB decide if the need a new punter and how good of all around backup  the team has

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3568441. Show user_3568441's posts

In response to csylvia79's comment:

BB seeing  what Gski can do punting. Game situation to see how accurate he could be... it was a safe play but great experance for Gski and helps BB decide if the need a new punter and how good of all around backup  the team has

Didn't want to risk getting Brady hurt on field goal block attempt?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to user_3568441's comment:

Didn't want to risk getting Brady hurt on field goal block attempt?

Interesting thought.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Might just be a matter of not running the score up. Wouldnt have surprised me if they ran the ball up the middle...at that point, the game was pretty much over.

If anything though, my guess would be to give Ghost another rep to punt

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

I think this makes the most sense, also not getting Brady possibly hurt is a smart idea.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I think the question is: What would have been gained by placing holder (Brady) and plackicker (Gost) at risk?  3 points?  Up 3 TDs with just over 2 mins to go. No point to it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In response to dapats1281's comment:

Might just be a matter of not running the score up. Wouldnt have surprised me if they ran the ball up the middle...at that point, the game was pretty much over.

Thats exactly it. Belichick has even addressed this in the past. Kicking a totally meaningless fg is actually running up the score. Cant hurt to give Ghost a rep trying to shorten it.

In the past, the pats have done power runs on 4th and long before. Nothing new.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

A combination of the two last responses.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

We didn't need the points, game was over at that point.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

no holder, risk to TB, need to kill the clock, didnt need the points. I would have run the ball again to force a Colt timeout or kill more clock. The punt didnt run much time off, didnt net much field position either by going in the endzone.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

The "not running up the score" idea I think is the best candidate. If they ran it up the middle, it might have gone for another TD.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Maybe also felt a punt was safer than a kick off.  Given their field position, the likelihood with a punt was that they would pin the Colts deep or, at worst, get a touchback.  With a kick off, the touchback is more a best-case scenario, and a long return or a score is more possible.  Kick offs are more risky for injuries too, so I think BB may have felt at that point the advantages of giving Gost a practice pooch punt far outweighed scoring or the risks of a kick return.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Could have just taken a knee at that point. I think the punt netted them 8 yards.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I was kind of surprised that Brady was the holder for field goal attempts.I thought Belichick would have had Mallet holding instead.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from m. a. pat. Show m. a. pat's posts

In response to freediro's comment:

I think this makes the most sense, also not getting Brady possibly hurt is a smart idea.

Agree with those two points plus in those wet conditions you don't want to have a blocked FG returned for a TD. BB coaches a 60 minute game.

Anyone think Allen got a talking to after what he tried to do with the bad snap?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to salsa-kid's comment:

It was the right thing to do why rub it in they won... Would you want Denver to kick field goal up by three touchdowns with 2 min to play? Crying Pats fans would be screaming why run up the score.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:

Thats exactly it. Belichick has even addressed this in the past. Kicking a totally meaningless fg is actually running up the score. Cant hurt to give Ghost a rep trying to shorten it.

Yeah, i'm more surprised they just didn't run an offensive play.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

All above are conjecture & very possible, but we'll never really know. All that matters. 

Pats 43- Colts 22 !! 

Hetch

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

Could have just taken a knee at that point. I think the punt netted them 8 yards.

Funny, I have seen so many NFL players intercept deep balls on 4th down sometimes I think just throwing it to the other team 25 yars downfield works the best. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:

In response to salsa-kid's comment:

It was the right thing to do why rub it in they won... Would you want Denver to kick field goal up by three touchdowns with 2 min to play? Crying Pats fans would be screaming why run up the score.

We Pats fans were taught well by the rest of the league in 2007. Until then we didn't know there was such a thing as running up the score in a professional NFL game!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:

Yeah, i'm more surprised they just didn't run an offensive play.

See my post above, they probably would have scored again if they ran it up the middle.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Inokea4coolaid. Show Inokea4coolaid's posts

simple. game in hand. don't want to rub it in Colts' faces.  BB is going to have to face a very good Colts team in the future. Why pizz them off?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

Everyone has their own ideas of why they punted vs. a field goal and I also found it very odd at the end of the game.  The only reason I can think of as Bill clearly doesn't care about running up the score since we did it so many times in the past is to get Ghost practice punting in a game situation.

Sections
Shortcuts