What Difference Does Talib Make?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Re: What Difference Does Talib Make?

In response to zbellino's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Just polling -- did they delete the polling feature or am I just missing it btw?

I am wondering myself what kind of a difference a player like Aquib Talib can make. When he came out, in the draft thread, I thought his skill-set (tackling, reading the QB, driving to the play/ball) were a fit for what BB has historically done in NE. He was drafted by another team. Several arrests/incidents later, he is carrying his baggage to NE's secondary -- which is in dire need of help, IMO.

At any given rate, I am excited by the possibility of having some real premium talent, and if he works out (plays to his potential given his history) he could be the Pats version of Orlando Cabrera (ha!), or better yet, like when they bolstered their offense in 2004 adding C Dills. 

Just want to check what other people think those chances are. Homer glasses off. Football talk on. 

OK. I don't want non-football replies. So, what I mean is: assume he is a boyscout and focused while he is here.

How much of a difference can you see him being from a skills perspective? I assume, as well, that he plays corner and they bump DMC back to safety.

• A) Does he lock down at least one WR for NE?
    • B) Is he not lockdown, but the playmaker they desperately need back there?
    • C) Is he just good, but the overall defense is improved by settling down the safety position at the same time via DMCs move?
    • D) Is he merely competent? That is, marginal improvement at the position.
    • E) He doesn't make a difference! TB cut bait for a skills reason!

[/QUOTE]

no immediate impact unless they let him go man-to-man. If BB, Patricia, Boyer, flores continue to mostly play vanilla zone coverage - then I don't think there will be much impact overall (unless someone opposite of Jones is let loose and defensive play calling gets more aggressive)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

Somewhere between B and C. He definitely makes the backfield better, if just because he's a can of tuna fish in a cupboard filled with dog food.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to sml1210's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Somewhere between B and C. He definitely makes the backfield better, if just because he's a can of tuna fish in a cupboard filled with dog food.

[/QUOTE]

Basically ^

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]

Just polling -- did they delete the polling feature or am I just missing it btw?

I am wondering myself what kind of a difference a player like Aquib Talib can make. When he came out, in the draft thread, I thought his skill-set (tackling, reading the QB, driving to the play/ball) were a fit for what BB has historically done in NE. He was drafted by another team. Several arrests/incidents later, he is carrying his baggage to NE's secondary -- which is in dire need of help, IMO.

At any given rate, I am excited by the possibility of having some real premium talent, and if he works out (plays to his potential given his history) he could be the Pats version of Orlando Cabrera (ha!), or better yet, like when they bolstered their offense in 2004 adding C Dills. 

Just want to check what other people think those chances are. Homer glasses off. Football talk on. 

OK. I don't want non-football replies. So, what I mean is: assume he is a boyscout and focused while he is here.

How much of a difference can you see him being from a skills perspective? I assume, as well, that he plays corner and they bump DMC back to safety.

• C) Is he just good, but the overall defense is improved by settling down the safety position at the same time via DMCs move?

[/QUOTE]

Time will tell. But, for openers, let's hope he can behave himself, and stay out of trouble.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Talib will be gone before the season ends.  As for the reason,  BB will simply say, "It didn't work out."  So put me down as (E).

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking12. Show harleyroadking12's posts

at least Talib isn't a rat and a backstabber like many Jet players are....great teamwork in the Meadowland fill of NJ

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

I am an eternal optimist so I will go with A, especially given your behavior caveat. I followed this guy on draft day and he looked like one of the best CB's in the draft. As I posted in another thread, independent observers saw a big improvement in his statistics from 2010 to 2011, even as his personal issues loomed larger. Statistically, he is in the top 10 category of DB's, which is pretty rarefied air. If this remains true, he should certainly be a huge improvement over what we have today, and perhaps lock down the opposition's #1 receiver. At 6' 1", 205 lbs., he is a pretty big CB as well.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

I would say he will start at D and just hope he can make it to B before the season ends. He is not a lockdown corner (are there really any of those anymore?), and, as others have mentioned, BB likes having a LCB and RCB not chasing the top WR around the field.

I think he has the potential to be a playmaker for this team. I think we will see him out there this week (heck, the Pats pulled guys off the street and put them out there last season). I just wonder what kind of shape he is in and how fast he can learn the whole defense. Those will determine how much of an impact he has within the seven weeks + playoffs that he is with the team.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

I'll guess a strong B: and will surprise as an A: in a couple of games.
    Talent is there and the move from Bucs to Pats he sees it as a positive, based on 'HOPE' to get himself back on track.

Thanks ZB

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking12. Show harleyroadking12's posts

In response to MasterHess-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

HONDA! How are ya!? backstabbing? It was an "anonymous" quote from an "anonymous" source. You guys can run with it for as much as you want but old Rexy will have the boys focussed for this weeks game. And if he doesn't I don't really care, my life doesn't revovle around a sports team like so many NE fans lives do.

Who do the pats play this weekend?I'll be rooting for them too. I always root for the team that is playing against the pats.

Now back to Talib and how he is the reason the so called "patriot way" is dead in NE. Well he's just one of the problems. I thought Edelman was in jail until I saw a thread about him earlier this week.

[/QUOTE]

anonymous is another word for chicken sh*t rat, your 836 posts plus the 1000's more before all your banning's belies your life as obsessed Jets fan that is oh so jealous of the Patriot winning way

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from sam0377. Show sam0377's posts

In response to MasterHess-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

HONDA! How are ya!? backstabbing? It was an "anonymous" quote from an "anonymous" source. You guys can run with it for as much as you want but old Rexy will have the boys focussed for this weeks game. And if he doesn't I don't really care, my life doesn't revovle around a sports team like so many NE fans lives do.

Who do the pats play this weekend?I'll be rooting for them too. I always root for the team that is playing against the pats.

Now back to Talib and how he is the reason the so called "patriot way" is dead in NE. Well he's just one of the problems. I thought Edelman was in jail until I saw a thread about him earlier this week.

[/QUOTE]

I doubt, at this point its not in Rex's interest to focus on offence. He saves himself if the offense fails  and he can get rid of sparano. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sam0377. Show sam0377's posts

As for talib it can be b or c if playcalling improves. He played on bad team where Tampa D is on the filed almost all the time. TB offence has done nothing so the defense didnt really care for much of winning game anyway. It changes with PATs. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

I say B plus...  The plus is that he gives the d some name cred in the back end that lifts the confidence of inexperienced guys like dennard and Wilson.  Also should put second thoughts in the heads of QBs that up to now have looked too comfortable, especially those 20 yard throws.

playmaker means he'll be looking for the ball.  Another plus. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

B, but I'm a bit of an optimist.  I can't really say I would put any CB in the nfl in the A category.  Revis in 2009 is the last CB I saw dominate a whole season.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tomhab. Show Tomhab's posts

This thread was doing great until Rusty showed up with his Patriot Way dig, but at least he finally admitted to being a Jest fan!

As for Talib I'm hoping he is a B and can slow down their number one receiver long enough for Luck to have to look for number two or three.  There have been a lot of plays that the Pats have been really close to getting to the QB only to have them find a wide open receiver with no Pats player within 10 yards.  Now whether or not the Pats D can cover the check down guy is to be seen but if Talib can cause one or two sacks and a few rushed throws he's a keeper.

It's also possible that the Colts will game play to keep Luck from throwing his way.  If BB puts him on the Right or Left, the Dolts could send out a Decoy and never throw at him.  Of course even that much limits their options.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

nice query z,

i vote b.

and we see improvement only if we switch to mostly pres man. 

using guys like dennard and talib in a soft zoen is a waste of tehm and a yield to offenses in a league that will eat up secondaries that arent aggressive. witness our record setting pace in plays given up over 20 yards (and we theoretically are playing conservative out of fear of getting burned?)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

We went from 4 suck azzes down to three back there.  So our Defense just got 25% better.  Now alls BB has to worry about is 1/2 the field.  I believe we went from a 7-1 2nd 1/2 to an 8-0 2nd 1/2.