What do we do at Center

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from e4smith. Show e4smith's posts

What do we do at Center

Resign Koppen, F.A., Draft, Cannon?...

Any ideas?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

Re: What do we do at Center

I think Connolly earned a chance to try to win the job full-time, but they bring in at least one Rook to compete with him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATinPA. Show PATinPA's posts

I like Konz from Wisconsin if he is there late first or second, outside of that I say stay with Connolly.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeffab. Show jeffab's posts

Agree with PATinPA.  Many think that Konz is going to be a real stud and he may well be available towards the end of the first round.  If he is, wouldn't be shocked if they grabbed him and then a D-lineman.  That would be a monster O-line.  Of course, this means they will probably pick a CB and a TE...because they never do what you think they're going to do.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

I want Koppen back.

I hope he's healthy too.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Why not just stay with Connolly? Scharnechia said good things about him, and the guy came in and performed well...why mess with something that worked?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeffab. Show jeffab's posts

I would agree to keep Connolly on the job, but drafting a solid rookie to compete for the job isn't a bad idea.  Especially since the Pats were working with a 3rd string center at times last season.  Dante did an excellent job having the guys ready to go when their number came up, but it's an important position to solidify going forward.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATinPA. Show PATinPA's posts

The thing with Connolly too is that if Waters retires he is more than serviceable at guard thats why the Konz pick would make sense to me.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

If Konz is as good of a C as most people think there is no chance he makes it to #27. To many teams that need a C in the late teens-mid 20's that need a anchor on the OL

Stick with Connolly, maybe resign Koppen to low money (depending of course on his health but they have more access to that then I).

I'd also look 4th-6th in the draft for a project C to train or a UDFA with potential. The 4th-6th pick would come from a trade back of a pick or trade of a player (Arrington trade similar to the Hobbs trade)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

All depends on the money which no one knows what either center is looking for.

If it was just on who I think they would like to bring back then I think they bring back both.

Scar Loves Koppen. Brady Loves Koppen. He's the reigning starter when healthy.

Connolly is younger and serviceable and also gives you the versatility of playing guard.

The problem with the argument of well Connolly played well so just go with him is that when he got hurt Wendell came in and did well and when Wendell got hurt McDonald, I think it was, came in and did well also.

...but once Connolly was healthy he resumed the role. Just as would be the case with Koppen over Connolly.

I just assume money is going to be the determining factor so at least the Pats are negotiating from a position of strength in some regards playing the two against each other possibly. Unless they have the same agent?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 15315k. Show 15315k's posts

Not likely that Konz is there at 27 and there are greater needs to fill. The kid from Green Bay is going to be available and worth a look.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

scott wells is older and would demand huge money.  If konz is there it is a no brainer, teams were able to get too much pressure up the middle on us last season, mainly due to the center position. This put added pressure on waters and mankins to help the center causeing other issues.  with water's future being uncertain we can't afford to not address the position so that connolly can play guard if necessary.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

with Indie all messed up and how he loves RK

I hope for Jeff Saturday

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Connolly was pretty darn good. And while I like Koppen I think they need to keep him only if the cost fits.

I do not think we need a starting center because Connolly is solid (and we might keep Koppen another year). BUT - if there was a great center available and he was the best talent at that point in the draft then I would go for the center. BUT - there is NO center this year that looks that special AND there are plenty of needs on D and a pressing need at WR (both in terms of stretching the field AND age considering Branch and Chad Johnson are long in the tooth).

So - NO... I would not be expecting to draft a center this year in the first 3 rounds.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 15315k. Show 15315k's posts

In Response to Re: What do we do at Center:
    Connolly was pretty darn good. And while I like Koppen I think they need to keep him only if the cost fits. I do not think we need a starting center because Connolly is solid (and we might keep Koppen another year). BUT - if there was a great center available and he was the best talent at that point in the draft then I would go for the center. BUT - there is NO center this year that looks that special AND there are plenty of needs on D and a pressing need at WR (both in terms of stretching the field AND age considering Branch and Chad Johnson are long in the tooth). So - NO... I would not be expecting to draft a center this year in the first 3 rounds.
    Posted by portfolio1

Yes- Connolly did a solid job in filling the center position after the Koppen injury, that said, I believe we could use another center. The offensive line is nearly complete with very good talent across the board, a solid young center would assure the Pat's of having one of the top offensive lines for several years to come. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Your pole seems a little queer,...
    Posted by mybologna2

Now, where were we?  Oh, yeah, sign some 30 year old free agent with experience but no future, and draft somebody with no experience.  Put their lockers next to each other.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bspikes55. Show Bspikes55's posts

bring them both back...koppen is a gamer who bb and brady loves, he will only ask for vets min...he wont wana go anywhere else. Connnoly is good as well , DONT forget Nick Mcdonald a 2nd year guy who filled in very well when he had the chace hes worth a shot.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Connoly is smart but not powerful enough and is subject to pressure up the middle. Koppen is smart and powerful but getting older and likely more expensive.

If I was in charge of the Patriots I would draft Konz. But only if he fell to me at 31. I would want to use #27 to draft a OLB/DE or a CB or a S. I might even package #27 with one of my second round picks to go up and get one of the top players at those 4 spots on defense if I needed to.

I would resign Connoly regardless as he is a solid backup for C and G. Very good to have those type of players around. Green Bay's FA Center Scott Wells is the best center in the game but at 31 how much can you afford to pay him to get him away from Packers?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATinPA. Show PATinPA's posts

I am not positive but I think the guy from Houston is a free agent too (Myers), he was pretty good as well. He  will probably want huge money in FA though.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mungomunro. Show Mungomunro's posts

We need some more youth on the OL. I expect to see severial projects drafted and/or FA's at guard and center .

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Running game starts with the C. Pats need more size at C than Koppen or Connelly can provide. Koppens lack of versatility will hurt him IMO. Connelly is the perfect swing lineman capable of playing multiple positions without the team missing a beat. I am a proponent of C and defensive pressure with the 2 first rounders, and WR and S help in FA. I just don't see a lot of S that are sure fire worth the money that they will most likely command.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

I like Konz from Wisconsin if he is there late first or second, outside of that I say stay with Connolly.
    Posted by PATinPA

Reiss reported today that Konz only had 18 bench reps at the combine and that raised A LOT of eye brows.  He thinks he may fall some because of this.

Sections
Shortcuts