What do you guys think of Kelly?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

What do you guys think of Kelly?

Despite his sack, I am not yet impressed. 

I am thinking they really need help at DT some time soon. I was expecting more given the hype during the pre-season.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

Re: What do you guys think of Kelly?

Well when we got him I was hopeing he would be more situationl or rotation played with is age to keep him fresh but outside of him and wilfork there is no really good third guy... not talk DEs just tackles.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

I didnt even notice him last week, this week he had the sack and one other hit. Other than  taht he been invisible.

"Giggedy, Giggedy!"

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GO47. Show GO47's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:

I didnt even notice him last week, this week he had the sack and one other hit. Other than  taht he been invisible.

"Giggedy, Giggedy!"

It depends on what the coaching staff has been asking the defensive line to do. Lots of times the D line responsibility is to take on the blocks so the linebackers can jump the holes so the D line doesn't look like it put any pressure on the QB because they were asked not to.

Against the Bills Kelly had 7 tackles and 2 QB hits last week. He blew up one running play that was suppose to be sweep wide right that ended up in lost yardage.

Against the Jets he had 5 tackles and 1 sack and 1 QB hit.

I thought the Jets offensive line played really well. They were not doubling VW which allowed them to open running lanes most of the night.

But Kelly has been a good addition to this team so far.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to csylvia79's comment:

Well when we got him I was hopeing he would be more situationl or rotation played with is age to keep him fresh but outside of him and wilfork there is no really good third guy... not talk DEs just tackles.

+1, sad that Wilfork has to do it all or we have pretty much nothing

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Does Wilfork have a sack?  No is the answer.  

We've run a vanilla, rush four defense for the first two games, after two games we have one of the top defenses in the league in not allowing points, stopping third downs and we lead the NFL in turnovers.  

There is a lot of work to do, there is room for improvement, Tommy Kelly is not the problem, if he suddenly wasn't there you would notice immediately.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4160947. Show user_4160947's posts

This is going to sound shocking and I can't believe I'm thinking it but VW is looking real old to me.  I admit Kelly was pretty invisible.  That's why he was available, right?  VW is supposed to be this All-World unstoppable force.  I watched him closely and he stunk last night.  He wasn't double-teamed but and was easily influenced out of the play.  RBs ran right past him!  Do you remember how many times he was stood up by the perennial JAG Ducasse alone?  This could be the DLine game planning.  If it is, throw it our the window cuz it ain't working.  My opinion is that he is playing too high.  The expression is "the lowest guy wins" and he isn't squatting at the point of attack.  BTW I saw good things fom Jones, finally.  A few great speed rushes by Buchanon.  Most of all. there was excellent play by the DBs.  Gregory was a force and played tough.  Arrington put his hand in for strips successfully.  Dennard too.  Talib has good hands.  Maybe I'll see things different but the D, except VW and Kelly, did the job and bailed out the O.  This could be a classic case of be careful what you wish for, as the D might be good and the O goes in the crapper this year.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to user_4160947's comment:

This is going to sound shocking and I can't believe I'm thinking it but VW is looking real old to me.  I admit Kelly was pretty invisible.  That's why he was available, right?  VW is supposed to be this All-World unstoppable force.  I watched him closely and he stunk last night.  He wasn't double-teamed but and was easily influenced out of the play.  RBs ran right past him!  Do you remember how many times he was stood up by the perennial JAG Ducasse alone?  This could be the DLine game planning.  If it is, throw it our the window cuz it ain't working.  My opinion is that he is playing too high.  The expression is "the lowest guy wins" and he isn't squatting at the point of attack.  BTW I saw good things fom Jones, finally.  A few great speed rushes by Buchanon.  Most of all. there was excellent play by the DBs.  Gregory was a force and played tough.  Arrington put his hand in for strips successfully.  Dennard too.  Talib has good hands.  Maybe I'll see things different but the D, except VW and Kelly, did the job and bailed out the O.  This could be a classic case of be careful what you wish for, as the D might be good and the O goes in the crapper this year.

Overall I think the D did well and I agree the DT's were the weakest part last night. I question whether it's Wilfork that's getting older or just that since there is no one to give him rest that he's wearing down. He's a big man and needs rest from time to time. You can't have him out there 70%+ of the snaps if you want him to give continued pushes against dbl teams. This is one area I've been crying to fix for years now but there is no solution in sight. Hopefully in next years draft I see a kid I'm really high on right now. I was high on Wilkerson and Watt (in Sept of his last college year before his stock blew up) and this year for me it's Daniel McCullers. This is the kid I want next year but the way BB has gone with the draft I can't see it happening.

Have to admit, the secondary looked pretty good last night. Gregory was quick, Arrington made some plays, but there were some gaps and the issue of clean hand offs between the CB's and S's reared it's head again. It's a good growing game with the D but the Jets O is nothing special in the least so lets take it for it's worth that they had a great game and wait until week 4 to get a true test on how the D performs against a playoff caliber O.

Sections
Shortcuts