What do you guys think?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Re: What do you guys think?

Outside of two or three players I'm not impressed with this draft group.  Most of the top ten players come with question marks.  Something that you don't want to see in a top ten draft pick.

On Miller.  He's too light to take on the run on the edge of a 3-4 OLB.  He's put on some weight but he needs to put on more if he's going play here in New England.  He's a 4-3 LB for sure as I see it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

i agree with gary. i think miller is too small for this defense. he needs to be a will backer in a 4-3 defense.
    i really cant see trading up more than a few spots for any player in this draft. every single player has question marks. i really dont think there is a player in the top 10 or 12 that looks like a sure thing. the two potentially explosive pass rushing LB willie mcginest types that i see are quinn and smith, but they both have major question marks so i cant really see trading up for one of those guys. if one fell to us that would be great but i dont see it happening. my guess is the 2nd round will be where BB loads up with LB's, similar to last year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Ultimately, the question is: Is there a guy at the top of this draft that's worth twice what you can get 10 picks (or so) later?

I don't see that guy in this draft.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

I agree with Mike on this one. Miller is good, but he is not Demarcus Ware and that's what I would want for a top 5 pick at OLB. I could see the Pats brass trading pick #33 to some QB starved team (Titans, Vikings, etc...).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Matthews actually came in with more issues but still came in bigger sizewise than Miller.  I want to say too that the Packers run a different type of 3-4.  It's Dallas like.

Not to get into to another arguement but all I remember is passing up on Maualuga.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

that certainly may be the case, but that was the reason BB didnt pick mathews. he has said he's pretty much only looking for 1st round LB's that are in the 6'4 250+ range. i doubt missing out on one player is going to make him change his philosophy. and he's right most of the time...look at some of the LB's we wanted that he passed on in recent years: larry english, robert ayers, everette brown, brandon graham, weatherspoon, jerry hughes, sergio kindle. he was right on all of them. he did take cunningham obviously but that was a late 2nd round pick and he was close to 270. 

also, mathews was there at our draft pick...miller will go top 5 or maybe even as high as #2. so that would be a huge investment in draft picks to trade up and money to sign him (unless a rookie wage scale comes but thats not guaranteed) for a guy that may not fit into your defense. of course if miller was sitting there when we pick...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stommmper. Show Stommmper's posts

Heres the thing.....
    THere are a bunch of intelligent people in this forum, there is no question of that!

But even with all of the stats, information, videos and intel that I have seen, no one in here even comes close to picking what BB will do.

The ONLY close call I have seen was when BB had taken Laura Maroney in the Draft. Everyone was so excited not only that BB took Maroney, but that some people, even sports reporters had picked BB taking Maroney.

Since that one and only time I have given up on thinking what BB will do. I think what BB does is make a common llist and puts maybe 4 or 5 names to each pick and then decides when those numbers are up as to who he will choose.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Of course nobody knows what the Pats will do but it's always fun guessing.  Some folks hit on things around here.  There was a guy who got Mayo right!  McCourty was talked about at length last year because they thought the Pats would go after a CB rather than a DE. 

To help your arguement however I believe this draft to be something like the one when Mankins was drafted.  There's not a lot to get excited about here.  I would trade 28.  17 and 33 you're not going to be able to improve the position on those picks so those are keepers.  Try to move the two late picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds as well which would mean swapping this years two for their years two kind of thing.

Yep, I'm not too keen on the draft this year. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cantstopme. Show cantstopme's posts

i'm against trading up for anyone unless it actually happens.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

that ewok is right, for the most part. i think people saw the pats have some interest is pat chung, butler, spikes, maybe a few others here and there. but no question, he's totally unpredictable. thats why its fun to guess, because with BB anything can happen. its also interesting to try to learn about as many players as possible because virtually anything is possible. i think we all know we will be 99% wrong on our predictions and most people will freak out that BB didnt draft their guy (see mccourty, devin and bryant, dez), but its still fun. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

It's fun to speculate but we really have no idea how the Pats rate guys like Von Miller, Bowers, etc.  Look at picks like Mankins and McCourty.  Anyone see those coming? 

For all we know they think they can get the same player at 17 that they could get at 5.  One thing is for sure though.  After looking at the different mocks on the web, there doesn't seem to be a surefire #1 pick and some guys in the top 3 in one mock are top 10 or lower in others.

It seems that if there ever was a year where the Pats would target a guy that fit their needs and move up, it would be this year since they have the extra picks and only so many open roster spots.  On the other hand, this is a deep draft for 5-technique 3-4 DEs according to the "experts", so maybe they'll just sit there and have options at 17. 

One thing I've read multiple times is that the Pats may target a guy whose main skill is rushing the passer higher than they normally would, even if that guy doesn't project as a 3-down player out the gate.  While I can't see them doing that at 17, maybe they do it at 28 or 33? 

Who really knows?  But what I do know is that everything we're talking about will probably not even be close to how it plays out on draft day.  The Pats are just that unpredictable, with the exception that they'll unload a current pick for a future pick to a team that they think will be bad.  Take that one to the bank.        

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

The theory sounds good and I agree with the majority as far as Da'Quan goes.

Von Miller scares me a bit but, if BB sees a Clay Matthews in him, I say go for it.

What's the point of having all these picks of we can't use them to get the cream of the crop?

Alternatively, on a smaller scale, I'd like to see them give up a 3rd - 5th rounder to move up three slots and grab Mark Ingram away from miami.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishers5. Show fishers5's posts

Dont care what BB does as long as we get quicker..NON FAT....SLOW...non rushing defensive players...and Improve the interior of the O line..or it will be the same next years playoffs...ONe and done...