What do you think of the Culter deal?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking111. Show Harleyroadking111's posts

What do you think of the Culter deal?

Its seems to me that the Broncos got alot compared to what the Pats got for Cassel. I realize MC's tag was a problem and the Pats needed to move him quickly but still MC and MV for #34 pick,and Cutler for 2 #1's a 5th plus Ortin...thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Re: What do think of the Culter deal?

Denver fleeced da Bears. No two ways about it. But that's the law of supply and demand. Teams were lining up to bid for Cutler because they perceived some mythical upside that, frankly, I can't see -- and also because he is under contract at a bargain basement price, which Chicago loves. The lack of interest in Cassel was as much a function of the franchise price tag as it was of legitimate questions about his skill set and consistency.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking111. Show Harleyroadking111's posts

Denver fleeced da Bears. No two ways about it. But that's the law of supply and demand. Teams were lining up to bid for Cutler because they perceived some mythical upside that, frankly, I can't see -- and also because he is under contract at a bargain basement price, which Chicago loves. The lack of interest in Cassel was as much a function of the franchise price tag as it was of legitimate questions about his skill set and consistency.
    Posted by prairiemike

Why would teams line up for a guy who cried his way out of Denver and shy away from a quiet leader with lots of potential?.....also mike your avatar looks like a guy I used to ride with, he had horns on his helmet..LOL

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kmaxx. Show Kmaxx's posts

Re: What do you think of the Culter deal?

Looks like both teams got screwed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Was that guy's name Tim, by any chance?

And there are three reasons why Cassel was virtually ignored and Cutler wasn't.

Money, money and money.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

The Bronco fans seem split... The half that was against Culter thought he was a baby.  The other half that supported Cutler thought that it was all McDaniels' fault. Those people think that Josh is too young, has no head coaching experience, and a product of the BB system.

The Bears gave up a lot for Cutler.  The Broncos are in such need of DEF, that they now have a lot of extra picks to spend this year and next.

Cutler's Daddy was the one to drop off his playbook.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

Its seems to me that the Broncos got alot compared to what the Pats got for Cassel. I realize MC's tag was a problem and the Pats needed to move him quickly but still MC and MV for #34 pick,and Cutler for 2 #1's a 5th plus Ortin...thoughts?
    Posted by Harleyroadking111

I'd say the Bears are nuts. Too bad they lost their minds so late in the game. I doubt Cassel would have garnered 2 first round picks but BB could have stocked up on more second and third rounders at the draft

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

Posted by prairiemike

Say No More, Guv'nor!

(Idle is my favorite and then Cleese.)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

I'd say the Bears are nuts. Too bad they lost their minds so late in the game. I doubt Cassel would have garnered 2 first round picks but BB could have stocked up on more second and third rounders at the draft
    Posted by Evil2009

The Pats converted a quasi-unproven free agent into 2nd rounder. If they hadn't tagged him, their pockets would be empty. Cutler is a proven starter and a Pro-bowler. The Bears put too much into him, but they also got rid or Orton. That has to add value to the deal.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

I might be in the minority here, but I think the Bears made a great move for Cutler.  Two 1st rd pick are a high price to pay but not for a young pro-bowl QB. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

I think the Pats got what they could get for Cassel, and I was surprised that there wasn't more interest in him.  Cutler?  He comes out looking like a big baby to me.  A little too sensitive in my mind.  McDaniels needs to find a QB still, not convinced the Broncos' QB of the future is on their roster.  But having 2 # 1's should help there.   

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

I think the Pats got what they could get for Cassel, and I was surprised that there wasn't more interest in him.  Cutler?  He comes out looking like a big baby to me.  A little too sensitive in my mind.  McDaniels needs to find a QB still, not convinced the Broncos' QB of the future is on their roster.  But having 2 # 1's should help there.   
    Posted by BrooklineRob

If he thinks the Broncs fans were tough on him for not being Elway he's in for a real tough time in Chicago if he doesn't produce. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now because he had zich for support in Denver

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

I think the Broncos got the better of the deal. Cutler is overrated, and getting Orton and the picks far out weighs what the Bears got. As far as comparing this to the Cassel move I think it's apples to oranges given the salary cap implication's of Cassel's salary. When I think of the Cassel deal it's more like Cassel and Vrabel for Chief's 2nd round pick, Bodden, Springs, F. Taylor, Galloway, and Baker.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Belenus555. Show Belenus555's posts

I might be in the minority here, but I think the Bears made a great move for Cutler.  Two 1st rd pick are a high price to pay but not for a young pro-bowl QB. 
    Posted by Grogan77

I think you're right...the Bears badly needed a QB that can take them to the next level...Cutler has to be ready to play or the fans in Chicago will chew him up and spit him out faster than natural fertilizer goes through a goose....Cool

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ricky1554atl. Show ricky1554atl's posts

Cutler won't be throwing to receivers like he had in Denver. That said, he's young and the Bears have been looking for a QB for years. Also, he now has a running game. But the Bears defense isn't close to what it was even two years ago. Two number ones? I don't know about that.  But they now have their QB for the future. Orton isn't the QB Cutler is. Now Denver has no running game, an adaquate passing game, and no defense. But some great draft picks. Who knows how those draft picks will work out. Tough call here for me, I would not have given up two number ones. Time will tell.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Denver? They got as close to good compensation for a QB like Cutler as you can get.

If people can't understand why Cassel nets less, they need to do some football homework.

I think it is most interesting from the Chicago perspective. The Bears finally got less conservative.

I think the team with the offenseive guns to do this was TB. But still. Forte, Hester, Olsen, (add a wideout) and Cutler would be a good offense.

Jerry Angelo has been a no-trade, safety first type FO guy since his time with the Gints. Having been there, TB and for the last decade in Chicago, he hasn't really been a QB oriented personnel guy.

So now they finally come out of their shell.

Is it the right time?

Maybe if they can get an extra WR to try and replace what Cutler had in Denver.

I know they look at Cutler's arm, and his ability to buy some time to stick some throws, and his impressive 13-1 record when his team gives up 21 or less points, and they think of Favre. A kind of frozen North type QB.

Cutler has a lot to prove before he can take that moniker. And the Bears defense ain't what the Packers' defense was in the Favre Heyday.

They also added Pace. I wouldn't be suprised if they made a play on Plax all said and done -- so long as he isn't in jail. LOL.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

I think the Broncos got the better of the deal. Cutler is overrated, and getting Orton and the picks far out weighs what the Bears got. As far as comparing this to the Cassel move I think it's apples to oranges given the salary cap implication's of Cassel's salary. When I think of the Cassel deal it's more like Cassel and Vrabel for Chief's 2nd round pick, Bodden, Springs, F. Taylor, Galloway, and Baker.
    Posted by Wizardsjag

I guess we should look at "THE DEAL" that way Wizard. They can call Cutler Pro Bowl QB all they want. His D did not throw one INT down the strech. The short $$ and ages of all these guys won't net any team a 3rd round comp pick next year either, But we could get one for them if say Bodden sign's a big contract somewhere else next year.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

We'll now get to see if McDaniels can make Chris Simms the player some of us wanted here last year. Is anyone really surprized that McDaniels got rid of a run around and throw into danger QB. Our M.O. has always been let the other team make the mistake. Parcells and the coaches in his tree are not afraid to blow up any team to get THEIR guy's in place. Although Josh did'nt pull it off. ALT-CB Hall and MIA-J.Taylor in the playoffs last year com'on. Does it say anything that us fans have wanted both of these guys to come here. Give McDaniels a chance

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

The broncos got good compensation for Cutler, but remember that it is only compensation.  The Bears got a prowbowl QB who has only been in the league 3 years and will continue to improve.  That is worth a lot and significantly more than a perennial back up who got to drive a ferrari for a season. 

The best thing the broncos got was a servicable QB who may be better than we all think.  The way the bears played musical chairs with QBs and fell so deeply in love with Grossman's practice ability that they allowed it to cloud his game shortcomings really hurt Orton's ability to grow I think. 

I think Orton can be better than we all think. 

But I have a question about the broncos.  Is McDaniels the head coach or O coordinator?  He may need to do a little more head coaching.  And who is the D coordinator?  From all of this I have gotten the sense that the D has been left out which is where the focus really needs to be. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

As all of you know I was on Cutler's side in this thing.  But at the end of the fiasco (when this site was down), I think Cutler came out of it looking worse.  Ultimately, however, that is what has to happen when you want to force your way out, I guess. 

Cutler through this has put a great deal of pressure on himself to perform.  While I think most believe he will perform well, because he is good, I think his actions dictate expectations well beyond good. 

The NFC north will be no cake walk (save detroit). 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mainerguy. Show mainerguy's posts

Say No More, Guv'nor! (Idle is my favorite and then Cleese.)
    Posted by EnochRoot

That rabbit's dynamite!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

www.profootballtalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/cutleradoption.JPG" alt="cutleradoption.JPG" />

do we need to say anymore?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobomul. Show bobomul's posts

One things for certain, Josh McDaniel is real lucky he wasn't able to pull off the deal with the Patriots earlier.

What would you rather have if you're Denver?

Cutler for Cassel (either straight up of even with an extra draft choice comming to DEN).
    or
    Cutler (and a 5th) for two 1st round picks and one 3rd round pick plus Orton 

Denver did MUCH MUCH better off trading with CHI than the 3 way deals purposed for Cassel. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking111. Show Harleyroadking111's posts

The broncos got good compensation for Cutler, but remember that it is only compensation.  The Bears got a prowbowl QB who has only been in the league 3 years and will continue to improve.  That is worth a lot and significantly more than a perennial back up who got to drive a ferrari for a season.  The best thing the broncos got was a servicable QB who may be better than we all think.  The way the bears played musical chairs with QBs and fell so deeply in love with Grossman's practice ability that they allowed it to cloud his game shortcomings really hurt Orton's ability to grow I think.  I think Orton can be better than we all think.  But I have a question about the broncos.  Is McDaniels the head coach or O coordinator?  He may need to do a little more head coaching.  And who is the D coordinator?  From all of this I have gotten the sense that the D has been left out which is where the focus really needs to be. 
    Posted by underdogg

Mike Nolan is the D-coordinator

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

I think the Broncos came out a lot better on the deal. Cutler wasn't Josh's type of QB, McD wants a cerebral guy, not a gunslinger. And  the "cry-baby" stuff seemed like enough to clue him in that he should go another direction. Orton is a decent QB, and can still learn. Who knows how Simms will do after the injury, but he wasn't bad before it. Now with all those picks they can shore up their defense. They have the WRs, they just need to keep a healthy RB or two. If they decide neither Orton or Simms aren't the answer, next year's draft will be sick with QB prospects. We'll see how Josh handles the top job, but I agree with his decision not to baby Cutler. Pro Bowl or not, the guy did throw a lot of INTs down the stretch. They'll want a QB who will play smart, not take too many chances. Brady wasn't HOF material in his first couple years, either. But he sure turned out pretty good under McDaniels as his QB coach. If they can get a couple impact players on defense they could give the Chargers a run for their money. The Bears were trying to pacify their fans with a "name brand" QB. He won't have the weapons in Chicago like he did in Denver...or the O-line that held the opposition to only a dozen sacks. All in all Denver came out smelling like roses here. Their fans might think otherwise, but if they start winning they'll turn around quickly!

Sections
Shortcuts