What do you think of the Culter deal?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Re: What do you think of the Culter deal?

Cutler went from being one of my faverit up in coming QBs to being someone i truley hate. He is a cry baby and there is nothing else to be said in his defense he is a cry baby and not a true pro. He got teh better deal in teh trade because Cutler is a better QB then Cassel and thats all it was cassel has one good year and Cutler was the #11 pick in the draft 3 years ago big difference.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Due respect guys, and I understand you come from a team first (team only, really) position, but the pats were flat out lucky with a guy like brady.  there is simply no other way to put it. 

Don't think that Cutler isn't a team guy.  According to most reports the locker room was his in Denver. 

So, when the time comes to treat the game like a business and the team has a right to treat players as property (as McDaniels clearly did when trying to trade for Cassell) how does a player under contract play his hand without making a big stink about it?  The fact is that the player has no recourse but to act like a baby. 

Lets not forget that McDaniels was the first to move on this and made clear that Cutler wasn't his guy.  Just because he publically said (AFTER bungling the Cassell deal) that Cutler was his guy, why should anyone actually believe that was anymore than public face saving. 

Cutler was in a no win situation.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Tas - you haven't killed the league mvp's (read Peyton Manning) hopes since the 2004 season.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

I really thought McDaniels was going to send him to the Jets to stick it to him and make him face BB's D twice a year. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Do you not remember the last MVP we faced in the playoffs? His name was LT a RB for the SD Chargers and his team was 14-2 and the number 1 seed in the playoffs. And according to the "experts" they were the most talented team in the playoffs that year and if i remember that game right I am pretty sure we won that game and sent the league MVP and his team home crying like little babys. And we have not played a league MVP in the playoffs since that game. And before that we put a stop to Peyton Manning in his MVP seasons and Steve Mcnair. When a leage MVP faces the Pats in the playoffs his team gets sent home thats just teh way we do it in NE.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

Lets not forget that McDaniels was the first to move on this and made clear that Cutler wasn't his guy.       

That's putting your own (and the media's) spin on things. Josh didn't actively seek to trade the guy. But when someone called him up and inquired, he listened. How that "makes clear" Cutler wasn't his guy is beyond me. Teams inquire about trade availability of players all the time. In fact, isn't that Josh's job to consider whatever it takes to improve the team? I could understand if he were the one calling around trying to feel the market for Cutler. Of course the media was all over this claiming McD "disrespected" Cutler, but I'm sure this type of thing happens all the time around the league. Being from the BB "tree" he took the heat from ESPN and the rest of the Patriots haters. Cutler needs to grow up. It was him (and to some extent Bus Cook...a known troublemaker) who made a scene out of normal operating procedures. In any case, I think the Broncos did well out of the deal. They now have two decent QBs vying for the job, and some extra picks to fix the defense. For all his numbers Cutler still tanked down the stretch and has never made the playoffs. The Broncos have great WRs and a good O-line. Josh can plug in a smart QB and do well. Cassel hadn't started a game in eight years and look how he did in 08. In any case, Underdogg, you should be happy with the deal, and wish the Broncos well. If they can knock the Chargers out of the playoffs your Colts will have a much better shot at making a run!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Bub,

McDaniels did significantly more than listen.  With as many writers as there were saying that McDaniels wanted Cassell indicates that this is more than just spin. 

Additionally, if there was really no smoke to the Cassell to Denver deal, how did it become the news that it did.  As you say conversations take place everyday regarding everybody including, apparently, Tom Brady and Peyton Manning (right?).  So if that is the case, how come we don't here those things.  Your point that there was nothing serious to the inquiry and that McDaniels only listened is baloney. 

The media was split down the middle on this.  Many were backing cutler because he was a probowl QB and many were backing mcdaniels because he is the coach and can set his team the way he wants. 

Your point that cutler needs to grow up may be true, but again if coaches are allowed to treat players as pawns during the "business season", what recourse does the player have to ensure he is not a pawn?  The truth is that unless he is a star, the player has no leverage.  Cutler is a star so he used his.  the public's perception of cutler has now turned negative, but cutler now has what he wanted (as does mcdaniel).  With a couple of years of success, he should be able to turn that around. 

On the other hand, if Mcdaniel's team does not perform after all of this and an up and coming QB was let go so that Mcdaniel could be the man he will be gone quickly.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

I never said the inquiry wasn't serious. The point is McDaniels did not place the call. It wasn't him trying to trade Cutler, he simply listened to someone's call about being involved in a three way trade. And it only became "big news" after Cutler got wind of it and raised a stink. I agree Cutler really had no other way to get his ticket out, but I believe he wanted that (and his agent) already after Bowlen fired Shanahan. Now Cutler is a talented guy, but he is not ready for Canton just yet. I would think Josh could have made him a better QB, smarter and better at decision making. He has the arm, and can be very accurate. He's also elusive. But McDaniels would seek to "tame" him a bit and I think that's where he balked. As far as saying a lot of writers state something makes it true, that's absurd! They all jump on the same bandwagon. IMO, both sides share some culpability, Josh for his businesslike attitude and Jay for his overreacting. The Bears stil have a good defense. Cutler will make them better if they get him a #1 WR (Holt, maybe even Plax...if he gets work furloughs). I think McDaniels can coach up either Simms or Orton, Tom Brady wasn't an MVP when he first started, either. But I don't buy into the opinion that it was McDaniels who instigated this deal. Cutler (and Cook) were already scheming. Maybe Josh was too. We'll see how the season pans out. I suppose we could argue fault either way.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

I really thought McDaniels was going to send him to the Jets to stick it to him and make him face BB's D twice a year. 
    Posted by Pats7393

But they'll be so much more fun to watch without an experienced QB. Despite the fact that Cutler is a head case he has great physical skills. With the right coach and a good supporting cast he could easily be a playoff QB. I'd rather he played in another division.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

If "out" was all Cutler wanted, I suppose he did get that. But I have to believe that what he really wants is fat money, and I can't think of a worse place to be looking for that than in Chicago.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Underdogg your whole argument is blasted wide open by the FACT that the other QB in this whole cluster f*ck Jason Cambell of the Redskins was put in the exact same situation as Cutler and he was on teh trading block and acted completely different in his situation, he handled with class, like an adult, like a pro and he kept his mouth shut and hit the gym. Everything you just said about "well what was he sopossed to do" is BS. Jason Cambell was put in teh same situation and he handled it like a pro and Cutler handled it liek some Texas high school QB who gets bench and then says wll then i will switch schools and you will be sorry! GROW THE F*CK UP. If he wants to be in the same conversation with guys liek Brady and Manning he needs to act like a pro not liek some stupid kid whos mad. Cambell has class and work ethic and Cutler is a cry baby with a big arm. The Bears are where offensive player go to die so you can makr this as the end of Cutler career, mark my words Jay Cutler will never even sniff a super bowl with the Bears.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

It's pretty much a guarantee that the Bears will draft a WR in the second or third rounds. They have yet to account for the loss of Tommy Harris, therefore a DT, is also probable. Culter had good players to throw too in Denver and I don't see as many in Chicago. Even Urlacher seemed to think it was a steep price. Can Mc Daniels work his magic with Orton and build a defense with the draft picks is the 14.8 million dollar question ?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ricky1554atl. Show ricky1554atl's posts

Cutler went from being one of my faverit up in coming QBs to being someone i truley hate. He is a cry baby and there is nothing else to be said in his defense he is a cry baby and not a true pro. He got teh better deal in teh trade because Cutler is a better QB then Cassel and thats all it was cassel has one good year and Cutler was the #11 pick in the draft 3 years ago big difference.
    Posted by MVPkilla

Totally agree with MVP here. A true pro wouldn't have come out crying to everyone that he wants to be traded. He would have met with Josh and told him to go to hell....BUT IN PRIVATE. He split his team apart by being a cry baby. You know some players would agree with Cutler. But some would tell him to STFU and be man. He has a lot of talent. But he is very immature. There is no defense for him in my opinion either.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

I imagine they're smiling about this in San Diego. The only other .500 team in the division. Garcia going to Oakland might be interesting but their defense sucks, they have 1 pick per round and you know Al will figure up a way to screw something up.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

The AFC West certainly is in a sorry state -- but if any coach can figure out a way to screw up that free lunch, I'm sure it's Norv.

Oh . . .  and quoting Vizzini automatically makes everything you say sound reasonable.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

I never said the inquiry wasn't serious. The point is McDaniels did not place the call. It wasn't him trying to trade Cutler, he simply listened to someone's call about being involved in a three way trade. And it only became "big news" after Cutler got wind of it and raised a stink. I agree Cutler really had no other way to get his ticket out, but I believe he wanted that (and his agent) already after Bowlen fired Shanahan. Now Cutler is a talented guy, but he is not ready for Canton just yet. I would think Josh could have made him a better QB, smarter and better at decision making. He has the arm, and can be very accurate. He's also elusive. But McDaniels would seek to "tame" him a bit and I think that's where he balked. As far as saying a lot of writers state something makes it true, that's absurd! They all jump on the same bandwagon. IMO, both sides share some culpability, Josh for his businesslike attitude and Jay for his overreacting. The Bears stil have a good defense. Cutler will make them better if they get him a #1 WR (Holt, maybe even Plax...if he gets work furloughs). I think McDaniels can coach up either Simms or Orton, Tom Brady wasn't an MVP when he first started, either. But I don't buy into the opinion that it was McDaniels who instigated this deal. Cutler (and Cook) were already scheming. Maybe Josh was too. We'll see how the season pans out. I suppose we could argue fault either way.
    Posted by bubthegrub2

I think Mcdaniel may have contacted the pats after having been contacted by Tampa.  Regardless of who initiated the deal, mcdaniel perpetuated it and then played belichick without the credentials before likely being reigned in a bit by his owner.  Ultimately, it was too late and cutler pushed his way out the door.  By the end of it, both are better off for it.  I agree that both are to blame for their approach to the matter, but if you do not blame mcdaniel for trying to get his guy, you can't blame cutler for trying to get out.  at the beginning mcdaniel looked like an idiot.  In the final days, however, he played it right, and frankly got as good a deal as could have been expected. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Underdogg your whole argument is blasted wide open by the FACT that the other QB in this whole cluster f*ck Jason Cambell of the Redskins was put in the exact same situation as Cutler and he was on teh trading block and acted completely different in his situation, he handled with class, like an adult, like a pro and he kept his mouth shut and hit the gym. Everything you just said about "well what was he sopossed to do" is BS. Jason Cambell was put in teh same situation and he handled it like a pro and Cutler handled it liek some Texas high school QB who gets bench and then says wll then i will switch schools and you will be sorry! GROW THE F*CK UP. If he wants to be in the same conversation with guys liek Brady and Manning he needs to act like a pro not liek some stupid kid whos mad. Cambell has class and work ethic and Cutler is a cry baby with a big arm. The Bears are where offensive player go to die so you can makr this as the end of Cutler career, mark my words Jay Cutler will never even sniff a super bowl with the Bears.
    Posted by MVPkilla

You want to know why Jason Campbell doesn't b*tch
    1.  because he works for an owner who demonstrates commitment to individuals about as frequently as pluto revolves around the sun.  Additionally, this is an owner that overpays as frequently as moon revolves around the earth.  Hell, one good game and campbell gets paid. 
    2.  because Jason Campbell realizes he is about half of what Jay Cutler is as a quarterback. 
    3.  because Jason Campbell realizes that the day he is dealt may be his last day as a starter in this league. 
    4.  and because until the redskins figure out how to overpay for a QB like they seemingly have for every other position on the team, Jason Campbell is an NFL starter.  

Jason Campbell's reality is significantly different than Jay Cutler's. 

Someone on this board has included a line for their posts about Cowards only threatening when safe.  Well, cutler was not that person, because he did not need to be.  You've got the belichick mentality that players in this professional league have no right to flex their muscle.  I'll tell you that they have every right to treat a team just as a team treats them - as a means to an end.  The good thing for Cutler is that he is good enough to challenge that authority. 

I don't deny that Cutler did not look good at the end of this, but if he wanted out due to McDaniel's two faced ways, then he did what he had to do. 

Pats fans are fortunate and spoiled by the fact that Belichick is about the only coach that has the cache to dictate to players, and even so, he is not completely successful in this (read Asante Samuel). This essentially occurs nowhere else in the league and certainly not in Denver.

Love Mcdaniel because he was a former pat, but belichick would have never allowed the media to get a hold of something like this and if it did, he would have denied it and then never spoken again about it.  Mcdaniel should have learned how to play head coach first before trying to be bill belichick.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

Love Mcdaniel because he was a former pat, but belichick would have never allowed the media to get a hold of something like this and if it did, he would have denied it and then never spoken again about it.  Mcdaniel should have learned how to play head coach first before trying to be bill belichick.       

McDaniels did handle it the same as BB would. He never elaborated to the media, simply stated he wanted to sit down with Cutler and work it out. Cutler refused to do so. Then just as BB did with Branch, he made a trade and eliminated the distraction. They actually made out well on the trade, as Branch hasn't done much since. In return they picked up Merriweather. Now Josh has two QBs to choose from plus a few draft picks to fix the defense. I'd say he got the better end of the deal. You can't call McDaniels two faced, it doesn't fit. He admitted he would listen to whatever offers he thought might improve the team. He also wanted to try and work with Cutler. But Jay evidently didn't want to work with him, so he balked. I also think Bus Cook was a major player in all this. It's well known that Cutler's contract is at it's low point right now. But I doubt he'll be getting "Manning money" in Chicago, even if they won the SB! He pushed his way out of town, fine. Now he'll have to prove himself in order to get the raise he is looking for. I agree he has a lot of talent, but his supporting cast has taken a dive in this move. Jason Campbell may not be a perfect comparison, I wouldn't say he couldn't get a starting job elsewhere. But the pressure is now on Cutler big time. Chicago will show no mercy should he flop. He made his scene and now needs to prove McDaniels wrong. The Bears had better bring in a WR. If Cutler has to start scrambling looking for a receiver he'll sorely miss Marshall and Royal in Chicago!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yapple. Show Yapple's posts

Cutler took advantage of the situation. A new, inexperienced coach. That was cheap and cowardly of him but he could care less about his reputation or the favorite word of the day...his "legacy". It's all about the money. Nothing wrong with that especially in 2009, with all those fake greenbacks floating around. However, he would have probably made just as much or eventually more if he stayed in Denver. Anyway, at least he's not in the AFC any more and certainly not with the Jerks. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Love Mcdaniel because he was a former pat, but belichick would have never allowed the media to get a hold of something like this and if it did, he would have denied it and then never spoken again about it.  Mcdaniel should have learned how to play head coach first before trying to be bill belichick.         McDaniels did handle it the same as BB would. He never elaborated to the media, simply stated he wanted to sit down with Cutler and work it out. Cutler refused to do so. Then just as BB did with Branch, he made a trade and eliminated the distraction. They actually made out well on the trade, as Branch hasn't done much since. In return they picked up Merriweather. Now Josh has two QBs to choose from plus a few draft picks to fix the defense. I'd say he got the better end of the deal. You can't call McDaniels two faced, it doesn't fit. He admitted he would listen to whatever offers he thought might improve the team. He also wanted to try and work with Cutler. But Jay evidently didn't want to work with him, so he balked. I also think Bus Cook was a major player in all this. It's well known that Cutler's contract is at it's low point right now. But I doubt he'll be getting "Manning money" in Chicago, even if they won the SB! He pushed his way out of town, fine. Now he'll have to prove himself in order to get the raise he is looking for. I agree he has a lot of talent, but his supporting cast has taken a dive in this move. Jason Campbell may not be a perfect comparison, I wouldn't say he couldn't get a starting job elsewhere. But the pressure is now on Cutler big time. Chicago will show no mercy should he flop. He made his scene and now needs to prove McDaniels wrong. The Bears had better bring in a WR. If Cutler has to start scrambling looking for a receiver he'll sorely miss Marshall and Royal in Chicago!
    Posted by bubthegrub2

Completely disagree Bub, through this process there was some light shed on how Belichick handled his QB situation in Cleveland (which blew up on him) and how he handled it in NE (which worked out.)

The word was that Belichick did not care for Bledsoe, but Bledsoe was THE guy in NE at the time although aging.  Still Belichick reupped his contract and let him play.  When Bledsoe got hurt Belichick was able to put Brady in.  The rest is history.  Belichick acted differently in Cleveland wanting to immediately replace Kosar.  The point is that Belichick did not create waves at the outset in his first year in NE unlike his stint in Clev. 

McDaniel has acted like Belichick in his first job.  Beyond that McDaniel was not saddled with a QB who had his best years behind him like both Bledsoe and Kosar.

McDaniel was two faced for saying he was not trying to do the deal and that he only listened.  There are multiple reports out there to the contrary.  That's two faced, and he never owned up to it.  After that Cutler didn't give him the satisfaction of what he wanted and forced his way out. 

This wasn't about money initially, but I do agree that it became that.  Money is proof of committment and the Broncos held their ground.  I think Cutler said, you have demonstrated that you don't want me.  Now you are saying you do.  Prove it.  When the Broncos did not budge, Cutler realized the end had come. 

As for getting money from Chicago, I disagree here, too.  I don't think Cutler will win an SB in the immediate future with Chicago, but if he does, he will get paid.  Why, because Chicago demonstrated a willingness to pay significantly to get him. 

Ultimately, it appears that both got what they wanted (except that McDaniel does not have Cassell) and Denver was paid handsomely.  That said, the fiasco has put a great deal of pressure on both of them to deliver. 

They will forever be linked

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 347pg. Show 347pg's posts

Chicago bit the bullet on this one.  They got a head case that will only cause them problems down the road.  Cutler couldn't find his way to the phone for 10 days, yet he found his way to Chicago and was having a press conference the day after he was traded.  All I can say is thank God for Brady.  No "I'm bigger than the team" issues with Tommy.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Chicago bit the bullet on this one.  They got a head case that will only cause them problems down the road.  Cutler couldn't find his way to the phone for 10 days, yet he found his way to Chicago and was having a press conference the day after he was traded.  All I can say is thank God for Brady.  No "I'm bigger than the team" issues with Tommy.
    Posted by 347pg

347 -
    Cutler never displayed this "I'm bigger than the team" mentality before he 1) was told he was mcdaniel's guy 2) then found out mcdaniel tried to trade him.  

It wasn't that cutler didn't find his way to the phone, he chose not to.  They played cutler he played them back.  I'll bet your boy Tommy has never had that happen to him, and I know that if he did, it was never fodder for public consumption.  

Just because McDaniel tried to play Dirty Harry without the 44 is no reason to assume that Cutler is going to be an issue anywhere else.  He doesn't have a track record of it.  What happens in the future is unknown but other weak Josh Harry without the 44, Cutler has never been an issue.

By the way, the pats are fortunate. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking111. Show Harleyroadking111's posts

To all, this is all you need to read to know what kind of man and player Culter is.

Jay Cutler, to Jay Glazer of FoxSports.com, Wednesday night:

"I didn't want to get traded. That wasn't me. I really didn't want this. I love Denver. I didn't want it to get this far.''

Jay Cutler, to the Chicago media, 44 hours later:

"I'm really happy to be here. It's like a dream come true.''

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 347pg. Show 347pg's posts

347 - Cutler never displayed this "I'm bigger than the team" mentality before he 1) was told he was mcdaniel's guy 2) then found out mcdaniel tried to trade him.   It wasn't that cutler didn't find his way to the phone, he chose not to.  They played cutler he played them back.  I'll bet your boy Tommy has never had that happen to him, and I know that if he did, it was never fodder for public consumption.   Just because McDaniel tried to play Dirty Harry without the 44 is no reason to assume that Cutler is going to be an issue anywhere else.  He doesn't have a track record of it.  What happens in the future is unknown but other weak Josh Harry without the 44, Cutler has never been an issue. By the way, the pats are fortunate. 
    Posted by underdogg

Actually, Cutler asked to be traded when Shanahanigans got the boot and again when they dumped the offensive coordinator.  Check it out.  His "I didn't want it to come to this" comments are completely disingenuine.  He used McD to make his "dream come true." 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

Completely disagree Bub, through this process there was some light shed on how Belichick handled his QB situation in Cleveland (which blew up on him) and how he handled it in NE (which worked out.)

I was not referring to how BB handled the Bledsoe situation. I was referring to the last time a Patriots player made a fuss and demanded a trade. That was Deion Branch. Bledsoe was a whole different scenario. He lost his job because when injured Brady stepped in and showed him more promise than Bledsoe did. Bledsoe never whined to the media, either.

McDaniel was two faced for saying he was not trying to do the deal and that he only listened.  There are multiple reports out there to the contrary.  That's two faced, and he never owned up to it.

I never heard McDaniels say he tried to initiate any deal. He fielded a call, and if he explored it from there that is his job. He also made it clear when sitting down with Cutler that this was the way it was, no player is above being dealt. As for whatever "reports" you have been reading, I wouldn't call them the gospel. Josh did not initiate any trade talks, yet Cutler and his agent insinuated this was his plan all along. Besides, Cutler had wanted out of Denver once Shanahan was fired. Believe whatever ESPN soap opera you like, but in the end it was Cutler's choice to force the trade. He got what he wanted, now he'll have to live with it.