What do you think of the Culter deal?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ricky1554atl. Show ricky1554atl's posts

Re: What do you think of the Culter deal?

To all, this is all you need to read to know what kind of man and player Culter is. Jay Cutler , to  Jay Glazer  of FoxSports.com, Wednesday night: "I didn't want to get traded. That wasn't me. I really didn't want this. I love Denver. I didn't want it to get this far.'' Jay Cutler, to the Chicago media, 44 hours later: "I'm really happy to be here. It's like a dream come true.''
    Posted by Harleyroadking111

This IS all anyone needs to know about Cutler. As far as Josh is concerned, he is no longer with the Patriot organization. I really couldn't care less about him anymore. I wish him well. But it stops there.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

I don't really have anything further to say about the Cutler - McDaniels serial. Cutler has what he is claiming he wants (for now, at least) and the Donks bled Chicago profusely for him. So it looks like everybody wins. But I would like to point out to the guy who seems to think that Jason Campbell couldn't carry Cutler's tear-stained jock: Jason Campbell has led his team to the playoffs. Cutler led the most amazing late-season collapse in NFL history last season. I'll take the team-oriented guy with the track record every time.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

Its seems to me that the Broncos got alot compared to what the Pats got for Cassel. I realize MC's tag was a problem and the Pats needed to move him quickly but still MC and MV for #34 pick,and Cutler for 2 #1's a 5th plus Ortin...thoughts?
    Posted by Harleyroadking111

1. cutler is a proven pro bowl caliber QB. nearly pricess in the NFL especially for a team that is a QB away from becoming a serious SB contender.

2. Cassell was a whole different animal; a system QB?, how proven was he? one good season does not a probowl QB make.

3. the deals were in a different time and place. MAYBE BB could have gotten a better one but MAYBE he could have gotten stuck paying $36M for the QB position in 2009-10.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

I don't really have anything further to say about the Cutler - McDaniels serial. Cutler has what he is claiming he wants (for now, at least) and the Donks bled Chicago profusely for him. So it looks like everybody wins. But I would like to point out to the guy who seems to think that Jason Campbell couldn't carry Cutler's tear-stained jock: Jason Campbell has led his team to the playoffs. Cutler led the most amazing late-season collapse in NFL history last season. I'll take the team-oriented guy with the track record every time.
    Posted by prairiemike

Yep - Jason Campbell is so good that the skins tried to get rid of him for Cutler. And late season collapse (all cutlers fault?) aside about 1/2 the league wanted him.  Where are all of those offers for Campbell?  They obviously know he available.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Half the league?

Listen, I'm as big a fan of hyperbole as the next guy, but three is not half of 32.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Half the league? Listen, I'm as big a fan of hyperbole as the next guy, but three is not half of 32.
    Posted by prairiemike

Um, Denver said they had more than 10 contacting them.  Now that is not half, but websites were putting the number higher than that.  Regardless, it was significantly more than 3. 

I notice there is no follow up to my rebuttal that Jason Campbell (because he went to the playoffs) is somehow better than Cutler.  I recall Trent Dilfer winning a super bowl and yet teams still weren't beating down the doors to sign him.  

QB does the most, but he doesn't do everything.  Not nearly as much as a basketball player or a pitcher.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

This was a great deal for the Bears. 1st round picks are great if you hit, but it's still a crapshoot.  Hitting on a franchise QB in the draft is even harder.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ritchie-az. Show Ritchie-az's posts

Until the Bears change stadiums, they will not be a pass-happy team. 4-5 home games each year are played at "The Mistake By The Lake" in conditions that are not conducive to passing. That's a big reason they've been a run-first team for so long. You can't win in Chicago in mid-November through January without a very successful run game and a defense that can stop the run. Very few (if any, really) quarterbacks have been successful throwing in Chicago in the winter. You always see the Bears QB production drop significantly in the second half of the season.
    The Bears have a poor offensive line and probably the worst group of receivers in the NFL. If Cutler has time to throw (and that may be a big "if"), who's he going to throw to? They need to add two quality wide receivers to their roster before their passing game is any kind of threat. Last year they threw to the running backs and tight ends a lot (Forte led the team in receiving, I believe). Too bad that's not one of Cutler's strong suites--he struggled throwing screens and getting the ball to his tight ends last year.
    And they flushed away their best chances at picking up talent on the OL and at WR by trading away three good draft picks.
    Cutler and the Bears will be regreting the trade come late-December when Pittsburgh is beating the snot out of them at a frozen, windy Soldiers Field.

The Broncos, on the other hand, got a good QB in Kyle Orton who, I believe, will fit McDaniels system very well. Orton is under-rated and very smart, and Josh will get the most out of him. He'll be successful in Denver and will make his first Pro Bowl before Cutler makes his second.
    Add to that two first-round draft picks and a third-round draft pick, which Denver should use to improve their pathetic defense. If they draft well, Denver will be a very good team in two or three years.

Denver, by far, got the better deal.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

You know what I do find funny. 

These days EVERYONE is jumping on the Kyle Orton bandwagon.  As an Indiana guy close to Chicago whose QB's were 1) from Purdue-Orton and 2) grew up in Indiana-Grossman, I took a bit of an interest in these guys. 

Grossman was all world at Florida and a Mr. Football in Indiana before that.  He had flashes of success in the NFL but could not deliver consistently.  Orton on the other hand was effective and consistent QB at Purdue.  I always thought he deserved a chance in Chicago but when he got it he never delivered.  Until last year.  He played and performed adequately. 

But name one pundit - before the cutler deal - that was banging the drum for Cutler.  Or for that matter if Orton was so good, where were all of the teams seeking to trade for him.  You will find NONE.  Now all of a sudden he is a perfect match for Josh Mcdaniels and likely going to save the broncos.  Forgive me if I take a wait and see approach. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ricky1554atl. Show ricky1554atl's posts

Underdogg
    Orton is a perfect match for McDaniels......when you throw in two first round picks. We will have to wait and see on both sides of this trade, just like any other trade or draft pick. But you can't deny that as far as a QB is concerned, Orton has many more weapons than Cutler will have. Cutler may never see another year statistics wise like he had last year. Orton has never had receivers like he has now. So if he was adequate in Chicago, he has every chance to shine now.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking111. Show Harleyroadking111's posts

Ritchie-az, I'm not being a jerk but the mistake by the lake is in Cleveland.

The Mistake by the Lake

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Mistake by the Lake (sometimes swapping "by" for "on") is a term of derision that may refer to the following:

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from philbert. Show philbert's posts

Its amaizing how much people frying McDaniels because he let a ProBowl Quarterback go. Is Cutler s a perennial selection, or will he be more like Derek Anderson - 2008 or Vince Young - 2007. Both of these spent considerable bench time last year, not long after their ProBowl Seasons. Who knows how long Cutler will stay healthy, as Type 1 diabetes is a serious disease, even when controlled,   or how long he will continue to throw games away with illadvised picks. BTW, if not for a blown whistle, Denver would be 7-9 LY and that loss would be been attributed to Cutlers fumble that was never called because of the whistle.
    Denver will do just fine. What may hurt NE is if McDaniels takes two Defensive players in the first round, which wlll remove on player from the pool that would also have been a good fit for NE.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]347 - Cutler never displayed this "I'm bigger than the team" mentality before he 1) was told he was mcdaniel's guy 2) then found out mcdaniel tried to trade him.   It wasn't that cutler didn't find his way to the phone, he chose not to.  They played cutler he played them back.  I'll bet your boy Tommy has never had that happen to him, and I know that if he did, it was never fodder for public consumption.   Just because McDaniel tried to play Dirty Harry without the 44 is no reason to assume that Cutler is going to be an issue anywhere else.  He doesn't have a track record of it.  What happens in the future is unknown but other weak Josh Harry without the 44, Cutler has never been an issue. By the way, the pats are fortunate. 
    Posted by underdogg[/QUOTE]

This is a little specious. Cutler chose not to answer his phone, but he also chose to lie to the media saying Bowlen never tried to contact him "directly". He then added that he never wanted the trade to happen. Of course, this was a few weeks after he told Cook to ask for a trade.

Cutler doesn't seem to be able to handle the reality of the business side of football. I am sure that as long as he is the favored son, things will be fine, but once he begins to think that he isn't (whether that is true or not) he will again become a problem.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

[QUOTE]Its seems to me that the Broncos got alot compared to what the Pats got for Cassel. I realize MC's tag was a problem and the Pats needed to move him quickly but still MC and MV for #34 pick,and Cutler for 2 #1's a 5th plus Ortin...thoughts?
    Posted by Harleyroadking111[/QUOTE]

Christmas came early for the Front Range of teh Rockies. Hope Chicago knows what they're in for...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

[QUOTE]This is a little specious. Cutler chose not to answer his phone, but he also chose to lie to the media saying Bowlen never tried to contact him "directly". He then added that he never wanted the trade to happen. Of course, this was a few weeks after he told Cook to ask for a trade. Cutler doesn't seem to be able to handle the reality of the business side of football. I am sure that as long as he is the favored son, things will be fine, but once he begins to think that he isn't (whether that is true or not) he will again become a problem.
    Posted by EnochRoot[/QUOTE]

Yeah, he probably did not get the kind of education in lying that mcdaniels did, but then again with the training mcdaniels had, he did not do a very good job at it either. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from flasox. Show flasox's posts

[QUOTE]Yeah, he probably did not get the kind of education in lying that mcdaniels did, but then again with the training mcdaniels had, he did not do a very good job at it either. 
    Posted by underdogg[/QUOTE] You forgot that he didn't have the guidance of the sanctimonious hypocrite of a coach like Herm Gilliam in KC.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]Yeah, he probably did not get the kind of education in lying that mcdaniels did, but then again with the training mcdaniels had, he did not do a very good job at it either. 
    Posted by underdogg[/QUOTE]

Sure, that excuses his behavior. 

I am at a loss to understand how taking digs at Belichick proves your point that Cutler is on the side of the angels. 

Is he no longer responsible for his actions? I would have to say that having people around him with this type o attitude certainly didn't help him grow as a person.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

DENVER MADE OUT LIKE BANDITS

CUTLER
    2002 2-10

2003 2-10

2004 2-9

2005 5-6

11-35 @Vanderbilt

2006 2-3

2007 7-9

2008 8-8     

Total 17-20 @Denver

28-55

33.7% win ratio

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Belenus555. Show Belenus555's posts

Jbolt:

So, kohai - you don't believe that Cutler, being in a weaker division (NFC) and conference (NFC North) as a result of the Denver-Chicago deal, will have a better winning percentage in 2009 than in the previous three seasons with Denver?

Although I am not a fan of his, it would not surprise me if he led the Bears to the post-season. As you well know, the NFC is such a crapshoot at playoff time that if Cutler gets them into the playoffs - he has as good a shot as anyone else on the NFC side.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

Cutler's biggest task will be keeping the Bears out of the tank down the stretch. This is where he's done his worst in Denver. The Bears will win with good defense and a running game. If Cutler gambles too much he will blow games. Especially his tendency for trying to roll out and throw long. That could cost him at Soldier Field...especially in December. If Chicago doesn't get at least one (and probably two) WRs for him they will be in trouble. I'm not going to base my opinions on his stats at Vandy, but though he's made a Pro Bowl he has yet to show he can finish a season in the NFL. I'd say Denver got a great deal in this trade. We'll see if Cutler can cut it in Chicago. And the NFC has QBs like Brees, Warner, who is always on top of his game late, Matt Ryan, who I think is going to emerge as a top guy, and Hasselback who is healthy. If the Bears are to go on a postseason run it will be due to the defense and Matt Forte.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Sure, that excuses his behavior.  I am at a loss to understand how taking digs at Belichick proves your point that Cutler is on the side of the angels.  Is he no longer responsible for his actions? I would have to say that having people around him with this type o attitude certainly didn't help him grow as a person.
    Posted by EnochRoot

I didn't care for his behavior, particularly at the end, but then again (as I have said) that was his only card to play if he wanted out.  Let's suppose he played it like the Washington QB.  He'd still be in Denver unsatisfied with the situation and uncertain about his future knowing that his coach told him he was HIS guy then tried to deal him.

I believe in team as much as the next guy, but in this game its ok for the team to say it was a business decision, but the player has no such right.  The player's only recourse is play it like Cutler did. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

jbolt is unwilling to admit that he is the happiest one on this site about this move. 

The proof?

1) he consistently has identified this QB's talent with his teams' win-loss record.  Certainly some fault can be laid at the feet of the QB, but even as the most important player on the team he is still not as important as a player on a basketball team or a pitcher on a baseball team or even a goalie in hockey or soccer.  A QB is the least important "most important" player in major sports. 

2) he uses Vandy win loss records to prove his point - this is the best.  LOL.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

Happy 25th anniversery.  It's been 25 years since the lying Irsays slithered out of Baltimore in the middle of the night.  Any idea where they are going next?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

I didn't care for his behavior, particularly at the end, but then again (as I have said) that was his only card to play if he wanted out.  Let's suppose he played it like the Washington QB.  He'd still be in Denver unsatisfied with the situation and uncertain about his future knowing that his coach told him he was HIS guy then tried to deal him. I believe in team as much as the next guy, but in this game its ok for the team to say it was a business decision, but the player has no such right.  The player's only recourse is play it like Cutler did. 
    Posted by underdogg

Asking for the trade was the way to do it. Which he apparently did. I would agree that would be theonly way for him to get out of Denver.

Not answering his phone like a baby and then telling the media they didn't try to contact him and then, after the deal was done, claiming that he didn't want to be traded were both emotionally immature. I think we might actually agree on those points as well.

I honestly would be willing to cut him some slack on the "I didn't want to be traded." comment by seeing at as him really trying to say, "This is not the situation I hoped for with a new coach. I wanted to remain in Denver, play with the Broncos and bring a title to the town. But after being treated the way I was, I felt it best to request a trade." 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]See You in January
    Posted by jbolted[/QUOTE]

That is true. You will be watching the Pats in January.

I just don't think we will see you in January.