What does everyone think of the Calvin Johnson play?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Re: What does everyone think of the Calvin Johnson play?

The ball came out when he hit the ground.  How is that a dumb rule?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sonieboy. Show sonieboy's posts

In Response to Re: What does everyone think of the Calvin Johnson play?:
    [QUOTE]It's funny how so many people can look at something and see something totally different.  What I saw was a player making a great catch and as he was getting up off of the ground, which I would think he has a right to do, he was using the hand with the ball in it to balance himself and the ball came out.  Not hardly the same as losing control of the ball in the process of making a catch.
    Posted by steelerjim58[/QUOTE]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

The right call was made.  "Do you really want to live in a world (spoken in a tough, gritty tone of voice) that gives zebras more subjective decision-making power?"

The tuck ruling was right, because it followed a rule that removed subjective control from the referee.  Same goes for this ruling. Once you give the referee that subjective controll, you open a can of worms.  Remember the old push-out rule and the messes it caused?

Johnson dropped the ball. Or he made a mental mistake.  Either way, as a result, he didn't score.

Back to the tuck rule, how come nobody every mentions the illegal blow to Brady's head on that play, which should have resulted in a roughing call with 15 yards and a new first down?  Watch it again in slo-mo.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1023us. Show m1023us's posts

[QUOTE]The ball came out when he hit the ground.  How is that a dumb rule?
    Posted by themightypatriotz[/QUOTE]

Uh, he was already down when the ball came out.....dumb rule.

It actually came out AFTER he hit the ground.....when he was attempting to get up....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSYDYI4F4xs

Uh ... he fell down and dropped the ball.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Does anyone agree that if the play was anywhere but the end zone it would have been ruled a catch? Disagree? My problem is that there seem to be different rules for different areas of the field. If you're in bounds then it's a catch and a touchdown, or it's an incomplete pass no matter where you are on the field.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

[QUOTE]Does anyone agree that if the play was anywhere but the end zone it would have been ruled a catch? Disagree? My problem is that there seem to be different rules for different areas of the field. If you're in bounds then it's a catch and a touchdown, or it's an incomplete pass no matter where you are on the field.
    Posted by antibody[/QUOTE]

Yes that's true and I heard the NFL network official(Mike Pereira) comment on that. If the catch were made in the middle of the field he said it would be different than if it was a TD or out of bounds call. He didn't drop the ball when he came down he dropped it when he was attempting to turn and get up. This rule is more convoluted than the tuck rule by far and it defies logic.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

He dropped it when he came down.  It's not a catch in your backyard or anywhere else.  He fell down all in one motion leading up to the ball hitting the ground and popping out.  It's not like he fell on his butt and then turned around to get up.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

[QUOTE]He dropped it when he came down.  It's not a catch in your backyard or anywhere else.  He fell down all in one motion leading up to the ball hitting the ground and popping out.  It's not like he fell on his butt and then turned around to get up.

No he didn't..Good catch

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

His hip and his elbow hit the ground before the ball ever did. Yes, he was holding the ball with one hand, but clearly had control. My point is that if it's on the ten yard line it's a catch. In the end zone it's not. I'm not arguing that the ruling on the field was wrong. I'm saying that the rule is wrong. How can it be both ways?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

[QUOTE]His hip and his elbow hit the ground before the ball ever did. Yes, he was holding the ball with one hand, but clearly had control. My point is that if it's on the ten yard line it's a catch. In the end zone it's not. I'm not arguing that the ruling on the field was wrong. I'm saying that the rule is wrong. How can it be both ways?

The NFL officials are into Micromanaging everything now. That catch has been a touchdown forever until this year and yes the rule is skrewwed up. My guess is they will be tweaking this rule in the offseason.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What does everyone think of the Calvin Johnson play? : The NFL officials are into Micromanaging everything now. That catch has been a touchdown forever until this year and yes the rule is skrewwed up. My guess is they will be tweaking this rule in the offseason.
    Posted by ewhite1065[/QUOTE]

Sadly, that's too late for Detroit. Too bad this didn't happen to the Colts. The rule would have been changed by Tuesday.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What does everyone think of the Calvin Johnson play? : Sadly, that's too late for Detroit. Too bad this didn't happen to the Colts. The rule would have been changed by Tuesday.

You Know that. All Peyton would have to do is give the Ref "The Look".

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

[QUOTE]His hip and his elbow hit the ground before the ball ever did. Yes, he was holding the ball with one hand, but clearly had control. My point is that if it's on the ten yard line it's a catch. In the end zone it's not. I'm not arguing that the ruling on the field was wrong. I'm saying that the rule is wrong. How can it be both ways?

He was still falling to the ground when his hip and elbow hit the ground.  A receiver has to maintain possession through his fall.  This isn't a catch anywhere on the field.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Through his fall?

And when is his fall over?

Any chance his fall might be over  . . .

oh, I don't know . . .

WHEN HE HITS THE GROUND?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4s_EPK9MtJE

You be the judge. He's definitely already down any other year but this year apparently.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from sfpat. Show sfpat's posts

Unfortunately, Johnson started to showboat before he finished the play (he could have kept two hands on the ball).  He's not the first one to make this mistake.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Here's how I saw it : A catch and a TD! He caught the ball made a football play (took two steps with the ball in his hand,and then was tackled in the end zone,he was sitting on his backside showing the ball to the referee and he clearly had possession of the ball,he then rolled over onto his left side and touched the ball to the ground well after the TD had been signaled.... Just to clarify: The ground can't cause a fumble and  once possession is established in the end zone the play ends.The referee had already raised his hands to signal a TD long before he was tackled...This was a terrible call.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

It wasn't a fumble, he never had possession.  If the ball comes out when you hit the ground, it ain't a catch.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from steelerjim58. Show steelerjim58's posts

[QUOTE]It wasn't a fumble, he never had possession.  If the ball comes out when you hit the ground, it ain't a catch.  

To say he never had possession of the ball is crazy.  The ball came out after he rolled over and started to get up. Do you agree with that?  If not what do you see? 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ltown1. Show Ltown1's posts

In Response to What does everyone think of the Calvin Johnson play?:
    [QUOTE]when i saw it at full speed, i said "oh he dropped it".  when i saw it in slo-mo, i said "oh he dropped it".  but apparently, im in a huge minority on this one (saw a poll that said 88% of people think it was a catch).  most announcers seem to think it should have been ruled a catch, and that the rule is "murky".  i think he should have finished the play. thoughts?
    Posted by flutie66[/QUOTE]

I was a catch,  100%.   The catch rules are getting crazy.   He had two hands on the ball and control of the ball on the ground.  He lost it when he was getting up and put his hand down.   

Absolutely a catch.   

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ltown1. Show Ltown1's posts

[QUOTE]It wasn't a fumble, he never had possession.  If the ball comes out when you hit the ground, it ain't a catch.  

I'm sorry but you're wrong. 

He had two hands on the ball, took two steps, started falling and took one hand off the ball to brace himself and maintained possession of the ball with one hand. 

There was no bobbling, no question that he had control. 

If anything, it could be ruled a fumble after the catch, but possession in the endzone is a TD. 

NFL missed that call.

In any High school or college league, thats a catch.   If the NFL says no, thats fine, but they're changing the rules of football if thats the case.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What does everyone think of the Calvin Johnson play? : He was still falling to the ground when his hip and elbow hit the ground.  A receiver has to maintain possession through his fall.  This isn't a catch anywhere on the field.

Here is the rule you are referring to:

N.F.L. Rule 8, Section 1, Article 3, Item 1: Going to the ground. If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball after he touches the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone. If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, the pass is incomplete. If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, the pass is complete

IMO the rule doesn't apply in this case because Johnson was not "going to the ground in the act of catching a pass."  Had he dove to catch the ball, or if the ball was underthrown than this rule would come in to play.  He caught the ball in the air and landed on his feet, and then went to the ground, and then rolled over.  Two questions here are : When did he have posession? and Was he established in the endzone?  Looks to me like he had posession as soon as the ball touched his hands.  Held it firmly with both hands and came down to land on his feet-which then establishes him in the endzone.  But what do I know.

I watched the Polian thing on T.V. and the interesting thing is he says "If you know the rule it's not confusing."  But we're not talking about the nuances of the NFL rulebook like whether a team had an illegal formation, we are talking about the definition of a catch.  I think that growing up I have caught enough balls and seen enough balls caught that I know what a catch is or is not without the help of the NFL's elite to tell me.  I think everyone else does also and when nine out of ten people think it's a catch but the NFL tells us we are wrong you have to wonder if they aren't more interested in the verbage of thier own rulebook than the integrity of the game of football. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

How can it be an incompletion when he was already down and lost the ball in the process of getting up? Its a garbage call. He clearly cought the ball, landed on numerous parts of his body while still in control of the ball and when he started to get up, the ground knocked the ball loose. Lions got cheated in that game, plain and simple.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to What does everyone think of the Calvin Johnson play?:
    [QUOTE]when i saw it at full speed, i said "oh he dropped it".  when i saw it in slo-mo, i said "oh he dropped it".  but apparently, im in a huge minority on this one (saw a poll that said 88% of people think it was a catch).  most announcers seem to think it should have been ruled a catch, and that the rule is "murky".  i think he should have finished the play. thoughts?
    Posted by flutie66[/QUOTE]

Touchdown. Lions...ballgame!!!

Sections
Shortcuts