What does everyone think of the Calvin Johnson play?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Re: What does everyone think of the Calvin Johnson play?

So if I jump up in the air and land on my feet, that is taking 2 steps? 

He caught the ball, fell down, and dropped it upon completing his fall.  Maybe in slow motion it looks like he caught the ball, sat down, sipped some tea, then turned to get up, but in real time he clearly was falling the whole time.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tartarus12. Show tartarus12's posts

In Response to Re: What does everyone think of the Calvin Johnson play?:
    [QUOTE]Does anyone agree that if the play was anywhere but the end zone it would have been ruled a catch? Disagree? My problem is that there seem to be different rules for different areas of the field. If you're in bounds then it's a catch and a touchdown, or it's an incomplete pass no matter where you are on the field.
    Posted by antibody[/QUOTE]
    I would expand your point a bit. If the same play were to happen only he initally catches the ball at the one yard line. Then he falls into the end zone it's a touchdown. He caught the ball & got two feet down. Made a "football" move by turning and falling to his butt.  No question, it's a touchdown.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What does everyone think of the Calvin Johnson play? :  . . .  when nine out of ten people think it's a catch but the NFL tells us we are wrong you have to wonder if they aren't more interested in the verbiage of thier own rulebook than the integrity of the game of football. 
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]

This.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

[QUOTE]This.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

Is wrong.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

It must be nice to live in a world where things are true simply because you say they are, mighty.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Laughing

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What does everyone think of the Calvin Johnson play? : This.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]
    Thanks Pmike, and you even fixed my misspelled word.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Could care less if it was a catch or not, but I'll tell yeah, Calvin Johnson is on his way to being a stud. Too bad the Lions are probably going to have another waste of a season.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]So if I jump up in the air and land on my feet, that is taking 2 steps?  He caught the ball, fell down, and dropped it upon completing his fall.  Maybe in slow motion it looks like he caught the ball, sat down, sipped some tea, then turned to get up, but in real time he clearly was falling the whole time.
    Posted by themightypatriotz[/QUOTE]

I thought that once a player crosses the plane of the end zone, and is in possession of the ball when he does so...TD...regardless of what happens after. It looked to me like Johnson made a one handed grab. I ball was firmly in his grasp when he came down. Then, when he hit the ground, the ball hit the ground, and was jarred lose. But...to me...he clearly had possession of the ball in the end zone, before he went down, and before the ball hit the ground.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Could care less if it was a catch or not, but I'll tell yeah, Calvin Johnson is on his way to being a stud. Too bad the Lions are probably going to have another waste of a season.
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

Without Stafford, it sure looks that way. Not only that, but Stafford may have suffered an injury that could bother him throughout the remainder of his career. I'm no doctor, but that shoulder injury appears very serious.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What does everyone think of the Calvin Johnson play? :      I thought that once a player crosses the plane of the end zone, and is in possession of the ball when he does so...TD...regardless of what happens after. It looked to me like Johnson made a one handed grab. I ball was firmly in his grasp when he came down. Then, when he hit the ground, the ball hit the ground, and was jarred lose. But...to me...he clearly had possession of the ball in the end zone, before he went down, and before the ball hit the ground.
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

Tex, that is if you already have possession of the ball prior to entering the endzone.  Johnson never had possession, he dropped the ball as soon as he finished hitting the ground.  We see plays every season where the same call is made if the ball comes out immediately upon hitting the ground.

I don't know why everyone is defending Johnson.  He made a bonehead play.  Secure the ball!  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

In Response to What does everyone think of the Calvin Johnson play?:
    [QUOTE]when i saw it at full speed, i said "oh he dropped it".  when i saw it in slo-mo, i said "oh he dropped it".  but apparently, im in a huge minority on this one (saw a poll that said 88% of people think it was a catch).  most announcers seem to think it should have been ruled a catch, and that the rule is "murky".  i think he should have finished the play. thoughts?
    Posted by flutie66[/QUOTE]

You are right. He put the ball on the ground. Not a catch.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What does everyone think of the Calvin Johnson play? :      I thought that once a player crosses the plane of the end zone, and is in possession of the ball when he does so...TD...regardless of what happens after. It looked to me like Johnson made a one handed grab. I ball was firmly in his grasp when he came down. Then, when he hit the ground, the ball hit the ground, and was jarred lose. But...to me...he clearly had possession of the ball in the end zone, before he went down, and before the ball hit the ground.
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

TP - You need possession before breaking the plane, but that does't matter in this call as he was making the play in the end zone.

He did not establish possession on the catch. Since he caught the ball and was falling, he simply needed to come up with the ball to establish possession and it would have been a TD. He didn't. No TD.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What does everyone think of the Calvin Johnson play? : Tex, that is if you already have possession of the ball prior to entering the endzone.  Johnson never had possession, he dropped the ball as soon as he finished hitting the ground.  We see plays every season where the same call is made if the ball comes out immediately upon hitting the ground. I don't know why everyone is defending Johnson.  He made a bonehead play.  Secure the ball!  
    Posted by themightypatriotz[/QUOTE]

Johnson even said he knows the rule and should have come up with it. No argument from him.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

you know what- he didn let go of the ball because he thought he had scored- the ball slipped out of his hand
    it wasnt a TD

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

I was going to let this be, but since it has re-surfaced...

I understand that by rule this was not a catch. I won't argue that point. I'm saying that the rule itself stinks. How can anyone who claims to be a football fan (and I mean the game of football, not the "product" that the NFL has been cramming down our throats for several years now) say that was not a catch? 

It would seem that it has become necessary to study law in order to watch a game these days. With its attempts to create perfection, the league is sucking the enjoyment, indeed the very life out of the sport. I would rather risk the occasional bad judgement call by an official on the field than to strip them of all authority and have games decided by attorneys in far off places.

My initial reaction to seeing the play in question was... " WOW! What a great catch!"  When I learned that it was not considered a catch I was incredulous, and, I still am. It may not be a catch according to the rules, but rules don't always reflect common sense.

My two cents.
    Keep the change.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]I was going to let this be, but since it has re-surfaced... I understand that by rule this was not a catch. I won't argue that point. I'm saying that the rule itself stinks. How can anyone who claims to be a football fan (and I mean the game of football, not the "product" that the NFL has been cramming down our throats for several years now) say that was not a catch?  It would seem that it has become necessary to study law in order to watch a game these days. With its attempts to create perfection, the league is sucking the enjoyment, indeed the very life out of the sport. I would rather risk the occasional bad judgement call by an official on the field than to strip them of all authority and have games decided by attorneys in far off places. My initial reaction to seeing the play in question was... " WOW! What a great catch!"  When I learned that it was not considered a catch I was incredulous, and, I still am. It may not be a catch according to the rules, but rules don't always reflect common sense. My two cents. Keep the change.

So, the guy diving out of bounds with a toe drag who has the ball in his hands but drops it when he bounces off the ground has made a catch?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

It's a great rule.  Players have to hold on to the ball to get a catch.  What's wrong with that?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

What's wrong with it is that most people who watch the games want to see football, not some official's interpretation of vague terminology.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What does everyone think of the Calvin Johnson play? : So, the guy diving out of bounds with a toe drag who has the ball in his hands but drops it when he bounces off the ground has made a catch?
    Posted by EnochRoot[/QUOTE]

If he has clearly has posession and control of the football before he hits the ground, yes.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

He caught the ball, He landed and still had it. He turns to get up and the ball comes out. By rule it's incomplete but the rule Sukkkks. I'll be interested to see if the NFL Revisits this rule in the offseason.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]What's wrong with it is that most people who watch the games want to see football, not some official's interpretation of vague terminology.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

The rule is written to take away interpretation. Don't come up with the ball then you didn't have possession. It isn't vague. It has been reviewed many times over the last few seasons.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What does everyone think of the Calvin Johnson play? : If he has clearly has posession and control of the football before he hits the ground, yes.

What if it is in his hands on the way out of bounds and then he bobbles it while falling? 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]He caught the ball, He landed and still had it. He turns to get up and the ball comes out. By rule it's incomplete but the rule Sukkkks. I'll be interested to see if the NFL Revisits this rule in the offseason.
    Posted by ewhite1065[/QUOTE]

I don't even know how many times this was replay reviewed last year, but it came up frequently. They did not review it in the off-season - or it was on a list and they decided to ignore it.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Receivers know the rules. Calvin was excited, as he should be, and forgot to take care of the ball. He knows it, case closed.