What does everyone think of Vollmer?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

What does everyone think of Vollmer?

It seems there has been a lot of discussion about getting a OT with #17. Generally getting a OT that early means they will become a LT.

When watching Vollmer this year and last to me he seemed more comfortable and natural playing in Light's LT position than playing in Kaczur's RT position this year.

What do you guys think, is Vollmer our next LT or is he a better fit at RT?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Re: What does everyone think of Vollmer?

Think he is the RT for the next few years.  It makes too much sense to have Light back for short money and short years.  They may draft an interior lineman this year, can't see them taking another tackle, but who really knows? 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking11. Show harleyroadking11's posts

I think Vollmer is outstanding in his second year...Let Light go move Vollmer to the left draft the best OT with either 17 or 28

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

I am stunned the guy didn't go to the Pro Bowl. I don't get it. He played 16 games and we never saw a thing on his side all year.

Minus Cameron Wake getting by him in Week 4, he was near flawless the rest of the season.

Every team's Pro Bowl edge rushers did next to nothing. Pitt, SD, Indy, etc.  He was great.

Very impressive player.  

To answer this poll, it does not really matter. Usually you put your better Tackle on the blind side of the QB, but I can see him being moved IF they need to.

If they resign Light, there is no real need.  If they draft a project, he may need to in a couple of seasons.

NE could easily go Tackle at 17 (Solder, Costanzo or Carimi), keep Vollmer at RT, let Light walk and slighlty sweeten the Mankins offer.

Either side, he's athletic enough to make the change, in my opinion.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Can we not keep Light and shift him over to RT and move Vollmer over to LT?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

See, I don't get his logic.   Why change this?  Am I the only one who felt a healty Light had a very good season?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Light wants to stay in NE and it will probably happen.  But that does not mean the Pats still do not need an OT.  The first two picks will probably be a DE and OLB.  That means if an OT is picked it will be down the line some which translates to the RT position.  Vollmer can play either side so if Light goes down the Pats don't miss a beat.

I don't get the Light bashing either.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

The reason for the Light bashing is that he looked better then he actually played this year. He actually had one of his worst statistical seasons this year giving up double digit sacks while also having Crumpler anchored on his side. Add that to his age and there are some real issues there. I believe he's still an above average OT but he's no where near as dominant he use to be. Vollmer is a pro-bowl caliber OT and should be playing LT protecting Brady's blindside. The whole point of my thread was that usually if you draft a OT in the early-mid 1st it's to be a starting LT. You never see a RT taken before then and rarely do you see a RT taken in the 1st at all so I was just curious if people saw Vollmer more as a RT or LT given all the talk about drafting a OT with #17

As for moving Light to RT, it's good in theory but he might not be ale to play RT. There are players who can only play one side of the line an fall apart when they move to the other. It's an interesting idea though

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ricky1554atl. Show ricky1554atl's posts

Hopefully they resign Light. His resigning won't break the bank by any means. But if they don't, Vollmer played outstanding left tackle when Light missed a bunch of games in 09. Not worried there. I'm more concerned about our reserve O line then our starters.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joel63. Show Joel63's posts

I think he's pretty darn good.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

Light isn't going anywhere. He's one of their true leaders on the team, and even if he's playing backup next year (he won't be), they'll be keeping him around. He wants to retire a Patriot, and the Patriots will let him. Seymour was great and everything, but he just didn't seem like a true Patriot to me; I always liked his skills, but never really his attitude.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

I couldn't agree more. Vollmer became my binky after watching him replace Light and Kaczur last year. I was throwing up in my mouth when they were doing that 3 tackle rotation against Carolina last year.

I think Light had a good year, but I wouldn't mind if they switched Vollmer over to LT and picked up an impressive rookie. For what it's worth, Belichick has said many times that they have many tackles so maybe he likes LeVoir more than we do. I could also see Light coming back for less than big money. If someone decides to throw silly money at him then let him walk. 

In Response to Re: What does everyone think of Vollmer?:
    I am stunned the guy didn't go to the Pro Bowl. I don't get it. He played 16 games and we never saw a thing on his side all year. Minus Cameron Wake getting by him in Week 4, he was near flawless the rest of the season. Every team's Pro Bowl edge rushers did next to nothing. Pitt, SD, Indy, etc.  He was great. Very impressive player.   To answer this poll, it does not really matter. Usually you put your better Tackle on the blind side of the QB, but I can see him being moved IF they need to. If they resign Light, there is no real need.  If they draft a project, he may need to in a couple of seasons. NE could easily go Tackle at 17 (Solder, Costanzo or Carimi), keep Vollmer at RT, let Light walk and slighlty sweeten the Mankins offer. Either side, he's athletic enough to make the change, in my opinion.
    Posted by BBReigns

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

PatsEng and ALL:

Well I had Gabe Carimi going into The Senior Bowl, and at the time he was a Late 1st Rder...  And at said Senior Bowl, while Anthony Castonzo was showing what poor footwork he had in pass-protection and Nate Solder was simply gettin' beat & bowled over, Gabe Carimi was showing what a stud he was at Tackle...

Point:  The big knock on Carimi was that he only projected to Right Offensive Tackle in the pros...  I disagreed and STILL do.  He played for a run-heavy Wisconsin badger team, and due to THIS alone, pseudo scouts were swayed into questioning his lateral agility... 

Thought:  Look ALL, Can you even imagine sending someone like Vollmer, who has right now that extreme well-developed footwork to Left Offensive Tackle, under STILL the knowledge that he can play Right Offensive Tackle in the Pros no prob?  Can you THEN even imagine, signing someone like Gabe Carimi with selection #17 (hopefully, now), to start off @ Right Offensive Tackle, with his massive size & strength, and awareness to use his brutal hand punch to knock blitzing LBs off their intended course (another thing he's known for), AND all the while under the knowledge that AFTER this past Senior Bowl, He too, can probably fill in at Left Offensive Tackle as well, in due time, and IF situation needs be...  Suddenly signing over 30+ years old Matt Light to a 1-2 year deal while these future bookend tackles to anchor an O-Line, & fully develop (over a year or 2-not easy & not alot of time for Brady to spend within "developing" O-Lineman...especially @ the Tackle spot, on either side), Seems to make alot'a sense, right?  Suddenly having 2 stud anchors on NE's O-Line (& both interchangeable if need be) when Brady hits the 35 year old mark & above & begins to lose a step or 2 in his game, starts to make even more sense...maybe? 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Belichick said that Light isnt a right side kind of guy. He tried him on that side and he wasn't impressed. Funny though that Light was the right tackle in the pro bowl. I think Kaczur is all done. He had the back issue and the drug thingy that just went away. I dont think Light would be good on the right side so if we draft O line at 17 I think it'll be a stud tackle.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

One word = BEAST

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

PatsEng and ALL : Well I had Gabe Carimi going into The Senior Bowl, and at the time he was a Late 1st Rder...  And at said Senior Bowl, while Anthony Castonzo was showing what poor footwork he had in pass-protection and Nate Solder was simply gettin' beat & bowled over, Gabe Carimi was showing what a stud he was at Tackle... Point :  The big knock on Carimi was that he only projected to Right Offensive Tackle in the pros...  I disagreed and STILL do.  He played for a run-heavy Wisconsin badger team, and due to THIS alone, pseudo scouts were swayed into questioning his lateral agility...  Thought :  Look ALL , Can you even imagine sending someone like Vollmer, who has right now that extreme well-developed footwork to Left Offensive Tackle, under STILL the knowledge that he can play Right Offensive Tackle in the Pros no prob?  Can you THEN even imagine, signing someone like Gabe Carimi with selection #17 (hopefully, now), to start off @ Right Offensive Tackle, with his massive size & strength, and awareness to use his brutal hand punch to knock blitzing LBs off their intended course (another thing he's known for), AND all the while under the knowledge that AFTER this past Senior Bowl, He too, can probably fill in at Left Offensive Tackle as well, in due time, and IF situation needs be...  Suddenly signing over 30+ years old Matt Light to a 1-2 year deal while these future bookend tackles to anchor an O-Line, & fully develop (over a year or 2-not easy & not alot of time for Brady to spend within "developing" O-Lineman...especially @ the Tackle spot, on either side), Seems to make alot'a sense, right?  Suddenly having 2 stud anchors on NE's O-Line (& both interchangeable if need be) when Brady hits the 35 year old mark & above & begins to lose a step or 2 in his game, starts to make even more sense...maybe? 
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium

This is true Laz but what make more sense filling a position of greater need with a high pick or filling in a position that doesn't rank as high?

To me the OL wouldn't be a huge concern if we had an above average RT and a pro-bowl LT instead of 2 pro-bowl OT's if we can fix the pass-rush on D. Truthfully having the best O in the league has gotten us no where but having a top ranked D again can get us back to the glory days, aaaaAAAAA.

It just makes more sense to me to grab a top DE or OLB with #17 then grab a RT later in the draft such as Gilbert or Morris. As you so wisely pointed out if you resign Light to 1-2 years you'll have time to develop Gilbert, Barksdale, or Morris and how much of a benefit would Carimi be over those 3 after a couple years to develop verses getting a blue chip pass rusher and improving the D?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

voll is a left tackle. with kaczur returning, may be time to let light go along with logan mankins! we will justr have to take care of the interior part of the OL... connolly can take one part, if somehow neal returns, check please... if not, can put rich o in there or easily draft a serviceable guy. OL is something we do well without top money, y ruin that? go spend elsewhere, like stud running back or pass rushing DL....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

In Response to Re: What does everyone think of Vollmer? : This is true Laz but what make more sense filling a position of greater need with a high pick or filling in a position that doesn't rank as high? To me the OL wouldn't be a huge concern if we had an above average RT and a pro-bowl LT instead of 2 pro-bowl OT's if we can fix the pass-rush on D. Truthfully having the best O in the league has gotten us no where but having a top ranked D again can get us back to the glory days, aaaaAAAAA. It just makes more sense to me to grab a top DE or OLB with #17 then grab a RT later in the draft such as Gilbert or Morris. As you so wisely pointed out if you resign Light to 1-2 years you'll have time to develop Gilbert, Barksdale, or Morris and how much of a benefit would Carimi be over those 3 after a couple years to develop verses getting a blue chip pass rusher and improving the D?
    Posted by PatsEng

Again, It's following the Draft as it plays out and the historic tendencies of NFL Draft Classes:  Here, we're BOTH correct in OT & DE.  And BOTH are needs...  I had originally chosen 3-4 DE with such a high selection pick (that NE usually doesn't have), but targeting the greater number of potential 3-4 DEs within this current 2011 Draft crop of prospects vs potential Impact Offensive Tackles (ideally Left, but even those whom can translate to a starting ROT too), Has swayed me this time in favor of going OT before DE...  In truth, I'd be ecstatic with either DE then OT, or MY OT then DE, and I could still accept a DE then OLB (or RB)...and on and on.  Again though, those 'tweeners are ALWAYS a huge risk in converting those collegiate DEs to 3-4 DEs, and thus, they've been targeted later on the Draft Big Board.  Again, keep goin' back to OT then DE as an ideal, but ya never know exactly How THIS draft might fall...  Currently, What worries me most is getting that stud OT @ Selection #17 (for me, Gabe Carimi), then JUST losing out by being 1-3 spots late on an excellent starting DE @ Selection #28 (for me, Muhammad Wilkerson).  It IS currently imo, the most "hopeful" scenario, but as Draft Day approaches, I expect "My Guys" to rise higher & higher, and this to turn out as being improbable w/out moving a little up somewhere (probably @ #27, but maybe BOTH even...which would/could be untenable-*sp)... 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from weloveme2. Show weloveme2's posts

just for fun how about vollmer Lt mankins(resigned)LG light C connolly Rg and a rookie RT or kaczur with our back ups being neal and koppen on the inside

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from itsjustagame1. Show itsjustagame1's posts

In Response to What does everyone think of Vollmer?:
    It seems there has been a lot of discussion about getting a OT with #17. Generally getting a OT that early means they will become a LT. When watching Vollmer this year and last to me he seemed more comfortable and natural playing in Light's LT position than playing in Kaczur's RT position this year. What do you guys think, is Vollmer our next LT or is he a better fit at RT?
    Posted by PatsEng

I think it depends on whether Mankins and Light are around or not. If they are, then Vollmer will stay at RT.   He should play LT if both are gone next year.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from itsjustagame1. Show itsjustagame1's posts

Can we not keep Light and shift him over to RT and move Vollmer over to LT?
    Posted by apdynasty23

I thought they tried switching Light over a couple of times during pre-season, but it didn't work out??

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Yeah, they've tried Light at RT several times and he hasn't been good.  BB in one of his press conferences a year or two ago explained that many guys have a tough time learning to do everything in reverse. Plus the skills are slightly different, with a bit more emphasis on run blocking in the RT spot and a bit more emphasis on pass blocking in the LT spot. 

Vollmer has played both spots and seemed to be good at both (though we haven't seen him at LT in over a year now).  I suspect Vollmer's position is determined by the skills of whoever is signed to be the other starting tackle.  If they re-sign Light, Vollmer stays right.  If they pick up someone new, BB will try both guys out at both spots and see who's best at each.  Generally, it's easier to pick up right tackles than left, so I think that raises the probability that Vollmer goes to the left side if Light isn't re-signed, but I also wouldn't rule out BB going for a LT with his first pick in the draft.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from OriginalPudge. Show OriginalPudge's posts

I think the LT to RT argument is a little overated these days as I have noticed teams bring a pass rush and blitz and put edge rushers on both sides of the center more and more.  I would say Vollmer is the best tackle on the team, so it only makes sense to put him where he is most comfortable and most effective.  The versatility that allows him to move from right to left is just an added bonus and can help us out if we get in injury trouble.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I think the LT to RT argument is a little overated these days as I have noticed teams bring a pass rush and blitz and put edge rushers on both sides of the center more and more.  I would say Vollmer is the best tackle on the team, so it only makes sense to put him where he is most comfortable and most effective.  The versatility that allows him to move from right to left is just an added bonus and can help us out if we get in injury trouble.
    Posted by OriginalPudge

I agree somewhat, though the blind side for a right-handed QB is still the left side.  And not every player finds it easy to switch sides, since the footwork needs to be reversed.   

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

I still say we trade 28 and a 3rd and 5th to move up to 18-20 and get the best OT left after getting a DE or OLB at 17

Sections
Shortcuts