What does the Jets signings mean for the Patriots?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Re: What does the Jets signings mean for the Patriots?

i believe getting a cb is an overreaction. ne cbs looked bad in the last couple of years because there was no pressure on the opposing qb. it usually was worst when they start the second half or fourth quarter leading. they go witha 3-man rush, that is so impotent.

things would be different for the cbs if there was consistent pressure. as in offense, they neeed to keep the opponent guessing where the pressure is coming from. the attack needs to come from may different direction everytime - inside, out, middle, left, right. upgrading the rolb will not be enough. if they expect pressure from the DL even during 3-man rush situations, DEs need upgrades too. these two positions are bigger priorities than a cb.

to me OL is still a greater need than a cb. and until i see the tate play well, i feel wr is a greater need than cb.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

In Response to Re: What does the Jets signings mean for the Patriots?:
    i believe getting a cb is an overreaction. ne cbs looked bad in the last couple of years because there was no pressure on the opposing qb. it usually was worst when they start the second half or fourth quarter leading. they go witha 3-man rush, that is so impotent. things would be different for the cbs if there was consistent pressure. as in offense, they neeed to keep the opponent guessing where the pressure is coming from. the attack needs to come from may different direction everytime - inside, out, middle, left, right. upgrading the rolb will not be enough. if they expect pressure from the DL even during 3-man rush situations, DEs need upgrades too. these two positions are bigger priorities than a cb. to me OL is still a greater need than a cb. and until i see the tate play well, i feel wr is a greater need than cb.
    Posted by seattlepat70

I agree with this. The CB play by the Pats looked worse because of a lack of pressure. Opposing QBs could sit in the pocket and pick our defense apart. CBs can only cover for so long before the WR breaks free.

The CBs we have aren't as bad as people make them out to be, and they are only going to get better. Bodden is good, and he should stay that way. Butler was a rookie and had his ups and downs. Still, for him to play in the NFL as a rookie CB and do as well as he did is great. He now has a year under his belt and should be much better. A lot of people bashed Wilhite. Overall he was disappointing, but he usually stayed with the WR. His main issue was being in position but not swatting at the ball. He will only be entering his third year and should be better than he was last year. Springs is old but experienced. He was ok, but is mainly there to be a leader and a mentor. I'm not too sure about Wheatley. I can only hope he rebounds from his injuries and inactivity, but I'm quickly losing faith.

Overall, that's three CBs who are fairly decent. Two of them are still very young and learning the game, while Bodden is a very good vet. Springs can fill in when  he's needed as well.

I have to agree with seattlepat, getting WRs and better pass rushers are more important than CB right now. We should also look into getting a TE prospect and another O-lineman.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Why all the concern about the Jets?  Don't these concerns apply going up against any team?  If the Pats don't fix the pass rush won't that weakness show up against any team?  It's not about matching up with the Jets, it's about going up against the league.  You pick up an outside pass rushing LB and a right DE and we're in pretty good shape defensively. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from totalcarnage. Show totalcarnage's posts

The Pats arent going to do anything different because of the Jets. The Pats will do what they need to put the best team on the field within their business perameters. What the Jets do wont force the Pats hand at all.