What Draft Grade do you give the Pats?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from elDunker2. Show elDunker2's posts

What Draft Grade do you give the Pats?

after round 1, I gave them an A-. Would have been an A in my book with Mercilus and Hightower. Round 2, for me was an F. Both were horrible picks, (3rd round selection) but made worse by the fact that we could have drafted Still, Konz, Reyes, Worthy or any none of top 10 rated CBs, AND got Wilson in the second, instead of Wilson and a redundant second tier DE. Overall I rate the Pats draft a C- Very disappointing.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Re: What Draft Grade do you give the Pats?

I think Jones will be better than Mercilus

Day 1 - A

Day 2 - F

Overall - C+

gotta get someone great in rd 5 to make it a B-

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Love the Hightower pick, not too sure about jones but he should be ok if he improves. An F for round 2 because they could have drafted wilson much later and picked someone else at 41. Who knows , Wilson may end up being good but they didn't have to pick him at 41.  Jake Bequette looks like a 3rd round pick. I would say a C, but its impossible to know until another year or two. 

yesterday i would have thought this draft is going to be an A or A-

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skadude22. Show Skadude22's posts

I, like most people here, thought that Wilson would have been available later.  But the more I thought about it, if Belicheck honestly believed that, he has never been afraid to trade down.  He has even traded down when solid players that fill a need are available.  If he thought Wilson would be around at 62, or 90, he would have waited. I think he thought Wilson was going to go between 48 and 62, and so he pulled the trigger when he had the chance.  I don't know enough about Wilson to comment on him as a player, but I didn't hear any negatives.  I loved the first two picks, and the more guys that can play corner and safety the better, because those positions were worn pretty thin last year.  So far, I'm happy with the draft, and hopefully they get a good player in the 5th.  No grade yet though.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

day 1 - A
       wouldve went mecilus but jones has potential
    day 2-  F
     26th rated safety when there are 40-50 guys graded higher available to be conservative.  then lose enough points in a trade equal to a 3rd round pick. followed by cleveland getting full value when they trade down a few spots later.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Throw the ratings out the window, please. Jones has shown nothing on the field that says he is ready to play in the NFL. He has the physical attributes to maybe develop into a player. Hightower has shown he can dominate in college. The things he did in college don't translate to the NFL, but he is a high motor, intelligent player. He too, given time can develop. I give Hightower the chance to get 20-30% of the available snaps. Jones 15-20%. Let's face it, guys walked in off the street and got a lot of snaps last year. What do the Pats have a S that won't allow Wilson to get snaps? I can see the back 4 being fluid game to game with 7-9 players seeing action thru the course of the season. Wilson will be in the mix. I havent seen that Ihedigbo has signed with anyone. I would assume he is the first call BB made today. I look at this defense and hope and expect the defense got better in specific order due to; 1) return to health for McCourtey, Ras, Brace, Fletcher 2) Fanene, Scott, Gregory can contribute 3). Jones, Hightower and Wilson can contribute Other than McCourtey and maybe Ras, I do not see any of the players being a playmaker or difference maker. I don't see that the Pats were able to secure a defensive playmaker either in the draft or in FA.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Draft so far...ain't over yet.

Day 1: A+ Bold moves to move up. Jones will be a stud. Hightower will be all over the field making plays. Very strong, very smart. Considers it his duty to put a beat down on you.

Day 2: C Pat's missed out on Quick and Hill. Regrouped with Travon and traded back for a 3rd and 5th.

B+ to this point.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrogLegs. Show FrogLegs's posts

Day1: B
    I didn't like the Hightower pick. Not that the guy cannot not play but where will he play? I don't think an ILB was an area of need. If that guy takes playing time from Spikes it means that Spikes was a wasted pick. About trading up twice I think it was too much considering BB wanted day 3 picks thus forcing the day meega reach.

The Day 2: F
    Major reach. If BB was so badly needing a safety why not drafting Smith instead of Hightower at the end of the first round? Does that mean that this Wilson guy is better than the 2nd ranked safety?
    To me BB pulled the trigger because he found no one to trade that first 2nd round pick and knew he would trade the 2nd one for 3rd day picks. So I ask myself: if he needed so badly draft picks for the 3rd day why trading up twice in the first place?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeffory. Show jeffory's posts

HIGHTOWER IS A STUD AND HE AND MAYO WILL MOVE AROUND INSIDE AND OUT. JONES WAS DOUBLED AND TRIPLE TEAMED WHICH WON'T HAPPEN ON THE PATS. HE WILL BE A STUD. WILSON COULD HAVE BEEN HAD AS A FREE AGENT.BEQETHE COULD BE GOOD PASS RUSHER. I WOULD HAVE TRADED UP BIOTH 2ND ROUND PICKS AND TAKEN COURTNEY UPSHAW.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeffory. Show jeffory's posts

HIGHTOWER IS A STUD AND HE AND MAYO WILL MOVE AROUND INSIDE AND OUT. JONES WAS DOUBLED AND TRIPLE TEAMED WHICH WON'T HAPPEN ON THE PATS. HE WILL BE A STUD. WILSON COULD HAVE BEEN HAD AS A FREE AGENT.BEQETHE COULD BE GOOD PASS RUSHER. I WOULD HAVE TRADED UP BIOTH 2ND ROUND PICKS AND TAKEN COURTNEY UPSHAW.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Day 1 -A: They did want we've been crying for a long time to do. Move up and get a couple impact pass rushers. Can't complain here

Day 2: C-: Beqeutte was a good move though you begin to wonder where the are going to play all these tweeners (Scott, Nink, Jones, Beqeutte, Carter [not A]). Wilson I think is just a complete failure. If they really wanted him they could of had him at another spot, why in the middle of the 2nd? I also think they could have found a better FS then Wilson but that will have to prove out

Total B+: Day 1 is weighted a lot heavier then day 2 for obvious reasons so 3 out of 4 picks getting the thumbs up is still a great draft imo

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cyberknot. Show Cyberknot's posts

Thursday

Friday

Thursday

Friday

Thursday

Friday
      Thursday

Friday

Thursday

Friday

Thursday

Friday

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Monstrously early.  Some of the Patriots' best picks have been from Mars.  Not just Vollmer and Mankins but Cassell, Edelman, Steve Neal, Spikes, Hernandez, maybe Tom Brady himself.

I can see a case for Tavon Wilson.  His fundamentals are all reasonable.  I assume that some Patriots scout clocked him a bit faster than the official numbers, something like Brandon Spikes.  If he's the second coming of Rodney Harrison, so be it.

The end of the third round is approaching good luck kid time, but Ballard seems to get lucky whenever he blitzes.  The tackles are slow and he gets around the corner, or the tackle gets pushed back 5 yards and then loses Ballard, or there's a straight freeway to the QB and Ballard explodes upfield.

I love the Chandler Jones move so far.  Again, I don't know what the kid needs to work on.

I know nothing about Hightower.

Overall, BB wants to blitz blitz blitz and for that I give him an A.

BB gets an A for audacity.

He gets an A for fast trading.  Not one of his original picks was used this year!  Wall Street should let BB ring the closing bell.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moorepatsfan54. Show moorepatsfan54's posts

Everyones blasting BB about the 48th pick. Do we really know more about football then BB let alone all the players coming into the draft. The only thing most of use know is what we hear on the radio and tv. Was it just two years ago that we blasted BB for picking McCourty and two tight ends. McCourty had a bad year last year until he moved to safety, and part of the reason he had a bad year because he started the season with a bad shoulder. Kind of hard to be a physical corner like McCourty when you have a bum shoulder trying to jam a receiver. 
      Then we drafted the two tightends, and everyone was pissed about that saying where is the pass rush, well look how that turned out. This past year you could argue that the Pats had the best two TE in the league.
    Obviously their is something that BB likes about this kid, Hell the kids 6'5 with speed put some muscle on him, and he could be an olb opposite Hightower or Mayo.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

In Response to Re: What Draft Grade do you give the Pats?:
    [QUOTE]Everyones blasting BB about the 48th pick. Do we really know more about football then BB let alone all the players coming into the draft. The only thing most of use know is what we hear on the radio and tv. Was it just two years ago that we blasted BB for picking McCourty and two tight ends. McCourty had a bad year last year until he moved to safety, and part of the reason he had a bad year because he started the season with a bad shoulder. Kind of hard to be a physical corner like McCourty when you have a bum shoulder trying to jam a receiver.    Then we drafted the two tightends, and everyone was pissed about that saying where is the pass rush, well look how that turned out. This past year you could argue that the Pats had the best two TE in the league. Obviously their is something that BB likes about this kid, Hell the kids 6'5 with speed put some muscle on him, and he could be an olb opposite Hightower or Mayo.
    Posted by moorepatsfan54[/QUOTE]

Tavon is not 6'5 i think thats a product of being a real under the radar guy that his physicals are not accurately conveyed. Ive seen more of sites saying he's in the 5'10-6'0 range at anywere from 200-205 pounds.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

DAY 1: Getting a bee jay from a hot chick

DAY 2: Finding out she was a dude.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

Overall I give them a A-. I am glad thy weant ofter DDDDDDDDDDDDD!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam757. Show jam757's posts

I find it comical to be reading draft grades of F from fans in their recliners with chips on their shirt! This draft gets at least a B plus for the simple reason that we drafted defense. The stellar first round FAR OUTWEIGHS anything that happened yesterday. Yes it does seem that we could have drafted the safety later or traded pick 48 to get more in return. Draft grades are really meaningless until 3 years down the line. Many had Ryan Leaf ranked an A plus after the pick. What will be important in this draft is the first round. If those guys don't pan out this will go down as a poor draft. Right now I'm stoked because we drafted ALL defense!!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishers5. Show fishers5's posts

Before we all lose our minds....Lets give the draft a grade oh B+....i am saying thsi because of what we have watched the pats lose 2 superbowls because of the defenses lack of ability to get off the field and make a play on the QB.. The team needed more speed and rush ability.  Will be an A if somehow a returner is taken or FA signed that will get the offense past the 17 yard line..

C jones...pash rush ability ..play making ability
    D Hightower,,, play maker...can play multiple positions.
    T Wilson...dont know....but someone in the scouting staff liked him..will wait and see..
    Bequette.....PASS RUSHER,,,

Please look at last years D Line and know that the ends were a one year players on pats....and that youth and speed was needed....

Rush lbs was almost non existent....

Cant wait till..the new players make plays and give the offense more times with the ball.  Can you name the exisiting players that should be worried about making the team??

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

They finally addressed their needs.  I am happy with both days of the draft.

This draft is a solid A

Bequette is a great pick - wait and see.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

Overall draft is banking on Chandler and Donta. For me its an A. I wanted Chandler.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

The only grade you can give every player drafted so far by every team, including Andrew Luck, is an incomplete. No one comes with a 100% guarantee, and many players are still developing and won't reach their true potential for 2-3 years. This is why it's comical for these suicide-watch guys to roll up their sleeves when Tavon Wilson is drafted at #48. They believe they know more than a team of professionals that has an awesome track record of results, and which reportedly has compiled reams of data on every kid they draft. Whose analysis would you trust, knowing nevertheless that it's still a crap shoot?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bnoaton. Show bnoaton's posts

In Response to What Draft Grade do you give the Pats?:
    [QUOTE]after round 1, I gave them an A-. Would have been an A in my book with Mercilus and Hightower. Round 2, for me was an F. Both were horrible picks, (3rd round selection) but made worse by the fact that we could have drafted Still, Konz, Reyes, Worthy or any none of top 10 rated CBs, AND got Wilson in the second, instead of Wilson and a redundant second tier DE. Overall I rate the Pats draft a C- Very disappointing.
    Posted by elDunker2[/QUOTE]

This is a great draft Hightower will be the rover on defense they have lacked He ia an immense talent Best linbacker in this draft who played in the best collge conf. The kid from syracuse is very highly thought of. I saw a little =of wilson on the big ten network and he allways sseemed to be in the right place. The kid from Arkansas again played the best competion available You have to wait to see how any teams draft pans out but this 1 for the Pats is the best in a few years fr/or them

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

The only pick I have to raise an eyebrow over is Wilson.  The other picks in my opinion were pure gold and at least on paper, immediatley upgrade our defense dramatically. 

I can't turn up my nose at our whole draft so far just because I disagree where Wilson was picked.  I'm going to label the draft thus far as a B. 

And I can't understand how anyone isn't high on Hightower.  He was the leader, signal caller, and one of the best players on one of the best defenses in college history.  He's a beast with a brain.  He's not going to cut into Spikes playing time unless Spike does something stupid.  He's going to be on the field at the same time as Spikes, and he's Allstate insurance in case Spikes gets hurt again or has a massive brain toot.  I drool at the thought of him and Spikes rag dolling ball carriers together. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Hightower is going to be their best guy out of this draft. i watched him play every game while he was in college.I'm not as sure about jones, didn't see him play. it may not mean very much but hightower had more sacks than jones did in college even though hightower  played more inside and was in the very tough SEC.
    Jones looks like a guy that has to develop where as hightower can step in from day one. The 3rd round pick was good. 

Sections
Shortcuts