What ever happened to no name WRs in NE, when Brady spread the ball to the open guy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

What ever happened to no name WRs in NE, when Brady spread the ball to the open guy

2005 WRs
    Troy Brown
    Deion Branch
    Andrew Davis
    Tim Dwight
    David Givens
    Bether Johnson

Are we making too much about having big name WRs?  During their SB runs Brady hit the open guy who ever that was.  The difference then it was every guys (any over 6'? no) would catch the ball and took advantage when the ball came their way. 
    This team is missing "Patriots" guys who get upset when they loss the game.  Team first guys, we have some guys who do not care what uniform they wear as long as they get a check.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

Re: What ever happened to no name WRs in NE, when Brady spread the ball to the open guy

I think that after the 2006 AFC Championship loss to the Colts, the Pats did what everyone wanted them to and got TB some "real" recievers and IMO this team hasnt been the same.

I liked the 2006 Pats better than any other Pats team since then.  Yes that includes the 2007 team as well.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Re: What ever happened to no name WRs in NE, when Brady spread the ball to the open guy

??????????? huh

Yeah they had no name WR's and won the SB.  In 03 they had no running game and won the SB.  These things didn't help them win the SB.  They won despite not having great WRs not because of it.  Thier poor defense is the reason for thier problems.

I'm sure BB tries to improve the areas of the team that are not doing well, like the defense.  I don't think he'll try to make the areas of the team that are good do worse in an attempt to clone the older Patriots teams.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boston-kyle. Show Boston-kyle's posts

so you rather have no namers than Welker and Moss? Im sorry but terrible post. maybe try getting a #3 receiver that can actually move down the field and take a safty off moss once in while. Sam Aiken is not going to convince an opposing saftey to move off double coverage from Moss.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In Response to Re: What ever happened to no name WRs in NE, when Brady spread the ball to the open guy:
    ??????????? huh Yeah they had no name WR's and won the SB.  In 03 they had no running game and won the SB.  These things didn't help them win the SB.  They won despite not having great WRs not because of it.  Thier poor defense is the reason for thier problems. I'm sure BB tries to improve the areas of the team that are not doing well, like the defense.  I don't think he'll try to make the areas of the team that are good do worse in an attempt to clone the older Patriots teams.
    Posted by shenanigan

I think you missed the point of the post, not asking to go back to that.  Asking how could we do so much with lesser tallent.  Is there now tunnel vision when looking for receivers?  Not in any way saying lets get rid off the big names but if Moss Welker not open aren't there other options?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from EASON11. Show EASON11's posts

In Response to What ever happened to no name WRs in NE, when Brady spread the ball to the open guy:
    2005 WRs Troy Brown Deion Branch Andrew Davis Tim Dwight David Givens Bether Johnson Are we making too much about having big name WRs?  During their SB runs Brady hit the open guy who ever that was.  The difference then it was every guys (any over 6'? no) would catch the ball and took advantage when the ball came their way.  This team is missing "Patriots" guys who get upset when they loss the game.  Team first guys, we have some guys who do not care what uniform they wear as long as they get a check.
    Posted by Pats7393

thats just it...............Jabs left..........Donte bolted ..........Galloway never panned out...........Troy Brown is gone............we have no legit 3rd wr..........Aiken, Edleman have tried but can't.........they need a 3rd wr really bad.........

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

In Response to What ever happened to no name WRs in NE, when Brady spread the ball to the open guy:
    2005 WRs Troy Brown Deion Branch Andrew Davis Tim Dwight David Givens Bether Johnson Are we making too much about having big name WRs?  During their SB runs Brady hit the open guy who ever that was.  The difference then it was every guys (any over 6'? no) would catch the ball and took advantage when the ball came their way.  This team is missing "Patriots" guys who get upset when they loss the game.  Team first guys, we have some guys who do not care what uniform they wear as long as they get a check.
    Posted by Pats7393

These guys may have been "no-names" within the NFL but they could get open and catch the ball. After moss and welker, we have a bunch of apprentice receivers who cannot be depended upon to do either consistently and really should be on the practice squad. 

For example, Edelman got another shot yesterday and dropped at least two passes that hit him in a bad spot; right in the hands.  How can tommy feel any confidence in thowing to a guy like that when it counts?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

Pats needs a 3rd WR and a real Defense, simple as that.  Does anyone here really think that Givens/Branch is a better combo that Moss/Welker?  If so please check yourself into the insanity ward.  Defense won the pats championships, and they won in spite of sub par WRs, NOT because of them.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: What ever happened to no name WRs in NE, when Brady spread the ball to the open guy:
    In Response to What ever happened to no name WRs in NE, when Brady spread the ball to the open guy : These guys may have been "no-names" within the NFL but they could get open and catch the ball. After moss and welker, we have a bunch of apprentice receivers who cannot be depended upon to do either consistently and really should be on the practice squad.  For example, Edelman got another shot yesterday and dropped at least two passes that hit him in a bad spot; right in the hands.  How can tommy feel any confidence in thowing to a guy like that when it counts?
    Posted by unclealfie

Edelman was ONLY targeted ONCE in the game late in the 4th quarter. Yes he dropped it. But he has missed 5 games with a broken arm. He was on pace for 40 plus cathes before breaking his arm. He will be fine receiver for the Pats. He had a better start to his rookie Pats season than Deion Branch did to his before his injury.

The games the offense does well is when they actually target the other receivers like Edelman, Aiken, and Stanback and even get the tight ends involved in the passing game. They don't usually. I love when the writers around the country say we have crap TE's. They are idiots, this offensive system does not feature the tight end in the passing game like some others do.

As far as gaffney I liked him but he's only got 32 receptions so far this season and that's in 13 games as a veteran playing in the 4th year of the same offensive system.

Edelman has 26 receptions in ONLY 8 games(even one of those 8 was VERY sparingly as it was his first game back playing with a cast on his forarm - You don't think a cast on your forarm affects your grip and hand mobility at all?), he is a rookie, a converted QB to WR rookie at that, AND the first season playing in the Patriots offenseive system.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kickwax. Show kickwax's posts

Posted by Pats7393

I was thinking the same thing, I remember it being 2 minutes into the 2nd quarter and they would announce TB had just hit his 7th different reciever.  Teams can't defend everyone.  Pats need to spread it around more.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

Brady throws to the open guy every time... #83 Hercules Welker.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasonh86. Show jasonh86's posts

If the Pats can keep guys healthy next season then they're going to be much better off in the WR area.  Tate, Edelman, and Aiken will all be playing for the #3 and #4 spot.  I really think Tate can develop into a solid #3 WR that will take coverage off Moss and take some heat off Welker as well.  If one of those 3 guys can step up, then it will be big for the offense. 

They also need to get Watson involved more, he's got the athleticism to become a solid, reliable playmaker if he can just get in it some more. 

IF they can get a TE involved and get a solid #3 WR, they will be MUCH better off.  That would be 4 guys that could get open, then would also leave HB's to get open on the flats and such. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

play calling

I think Weis played a role in the whole 'open guy' concept, too

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

This whole idea of a #3 receiver kind of amuses me.  I don't claim to be any kind of expert, but this is the only place I hear people complain about the lack of a #3 receiver.  

Maybe the quarterback just needs to throw the ball to people not named Moss and Welker occassionally.  You cannot tell me that with receivers the caliber of Moss and Welker that the other WR, TE, or RB are not open occassionally.  Are these guys dropping every ball thrown to them, because I honestly do not believe that they cannot get open.  

Or is the QB just so keyed on his stars that he is forgetting the other options?  As a top QB (which Brady is) don't you have to consider your other options once in a while?  

Maybe he does and people are just complaining to complain.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

This whole idea of a #3 receiver kind of amuses me.  I don't claim to be any kind of expert, but this is the only place I hear people complain about the lack of a #3 receiver.   Maybe the quarterback just needs to throw the ball to people not named Moss and Welker occassionally.  You cannot tell me that with receivers the caliber of Moss and Welker that the other WR, TE, or RB are not open occassionally.  Are these guys dropping every ball thrown to them, because I honestly do not believe that they cannot get open.   Or is the QB just so keyed on his stars that he is forgetting the other options?  As a top QB (which Brady is) don't you have to consider your other options once in a while?   Maybe he does and people are just complaining to complain.
    Posted by underdoggg

Yes Dear maybe we are.

Sections
Shortcuts