What everyone seems to be overlooking

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

What everyone seems to be overlooking

The tears coming out of NE have risen sea levels by about a foot.  Guys, calm down.  Easley in the 1st was not a bad pick and addresses a huge need.  No, he would not have made it to the end of the 2nd, let alone the third.  Garoppolo in the second while not addressing immediate need, was not a bad pick and addressed long term need.  He was the best QB left and has franchise QB potential, especially if he can get a couple years as Brady's understudy. 

And for those of you thinking well we need a couple key pieces to help get us over the hump, remember this, 20% of our teams salary cap was on IR last year.  You read that right, 20%.  We have a whole lot of absolute studs returning this year.  Mayo, Wilfork, Kelly, Vollmer, Gronk. 

We made it all the way to the AFC Championship game last year without them.  The combination of no interior pass rush, and the loss of Talib and a complete restructure of our secondary at that point killed us.  Manning could pick us apart at will.  You put those players back on the field and then add Revis and Browner on the field and is there anyone here that doesn't think that would have drastically improved our odds in that game?

You want 1st rounders and elite talent to come charging through our door to help get us back to the SB?  Well, you got it.  Maybe not in the form you were wishing for looking forward to the draft for months now, but that help is still coming.  I for one couldn't be looking forward to this year any more than I am.  Honestly all we need is to get Dustin Keller in here and I think we are good to go.  This draft is just added gravy. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Re: What everyone seems to be overlooking

There you go again with that reasoned analysis. 

+1 (and if I had more than one vote you have them for that post as well).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

In response to agill1970's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The tears coming out of NE have risen sea levels by about a foot.  Guys, calm down.  Easley in the 1st was not a bad pick and addresses a huge need.  No, he would not have made it to the end of the 2nd, let alone the third.  Garoppolo in the second while not addressing immediate need, was not a bad pick and addressed long term need.  He was the best QB left and has franchise QB potential, especially if he can get a couple years as Brady's understudy. 

And for those of you thinking well we need a couple key pieces to help get us over the hump, remember this, 20% of our teams salary cap was on IR last year.  You read that right, 20%.  We have a whole lot of absolute studs returning this year.  Mayo, Wilfork, Kelly, Vollmer, Gronk. 

We made it all the way to the AFC Championship game last year without them.  The combination of no interior pass rush, and the loss of Talib and a complete restructure of our secondary at that point killed us.  Manning could pick us apart at will.  You put those players back on the field and then add Revis and Browner on the field and is there anyone here that doesn't think that would have drastically improved our odds in that game?

You want 1st rounders and elite talent to come charging through our door to help get us back to the SB?  Well, you got it.  Maybe not in the form you were wishing for looking forward to the draft for months now, but that help is still coming.  I for one couldn't be looking forward to this year any more than I am.  Honestly all we need is to get Dustin Keller in here and I think we are good to go.  This draft is just added gravy. 

[/QUOTE]

I'll grant you that Easley would have gone before the Pats 2nd round pick.   But where is it written that they had to take him at 29?   Why not trade some of the later round picks to move up higher into the 2nd round?  They could have done that.

As for the returning guys ... I hope they all return to full health and effectiveness.  But even when healthy this defense was not good enough to apply pressure on the opposing QB and force TOs.   In the last 4 playoff losses (I hear myself saying this over and over again) the Pats were unable to come up with a single TO.  I'm hopeful that the additions of Revis and Browner will change that, but only time will tell.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

I would agree our defense entering the season with Wilfork, Mayo & Kelly all returning from injuries along with the additions of Revis & Browner to the nucleaus already in place should be pretty stout. I liked what I saw from Chandler Jones, Collins, Wilson & Ryan add the kid Easley to the DL mix and this could well be the best unit the Patrots have fielded since 2005

On offense the loss of Blount is the only significant change from last year. My guess is that Boldon will assume his role and share carries with Ridley & Vareen...The reality is the Patriots still need to address the tightend position. Clearly Gronk's health changes the entire dynamic of how teams defend us, the Red Zone in particular...in my mind given his injury history the team needs to find another big bodied pass catching tightend. Then whatever they get from Gronk is "gravy"...@ WR I liked what I saw from both Dobson and Thompkins last year and Boyce is another "sleeper" all three along with Amedola should benefit from another offseason working with Brady...

We'll soon find out what's in store for day 3 of the draft...my guess is that they'll target the best OL, TE or RB left on the board. there's still a lot of good football players left on the board and the 4th round Imho is where the real gems are found...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from paesan59. Show paesan59's posts

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'll grant you that Easley would have gone before the Pats 2nd round pick.   But where is it written that they had to take him at 29?   Why not trade some of the later round picks to move up higher into the 2nd round?  They could have done that.

As for the returning guys ... I hope they all return to full health and effectiveness.  But even when healthy this defense was not good enough to apply pressure on the opposing QB and force TOs.   In the last 4 playoff losses (I hear myself saying this over and over again) the Pats were unable to come up with a single TO.  I'm hopeful that the additions of Revis and Browner will change that, but only time will tell.

[/QUOTE]

You say the pass rush was not good enough last year and are correct. The addition of Revis and Browner will now make the pass rush much better because the coverage will be better which will allow more time to get to the QB. I like both picks that have been made and time will tell if any of them are good. Can't wait for the season to begin and see what the new defense can do.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to paesan59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You say the pass rush was not good enough last year and are correct. The addition of Revis and Browner will now make the pass rush much better because the coverage will be better which will allow more time to get to the QB. I like both picks that have been made and time will tell if any of them are good. Can't wait for the season to begin and see what the new defense can do.

[/QUOTE]

Actually it's the pass rush that sets the table for CB performance.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

My deal is this

i think we have lost playoff games coz of the ol and dl s

i think we are small at center, and Wendell is not a good shotgun snapper, I think Martin was thereto be had , 

JG would be there today, I think he is barely tall enough, throws low and does t make all the throws. 

i can buy into an easily pick with VW and Kelly playing less snaps, and his rep in NYC, where he is from, is outstanding , a real good guy

as I have said, I have never bashed Bb, I also am not a talent evaluator, more looking at the game theory, We lost to Denver coz our Oline got over powered  IMO.

leys wait for today

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

I cannot believe the first post in this thread is actually counting on the return of Gronk. Are we going to go through that again this year? The endless - "well if we had Gronk we'd be fine" stuff?

The team needs a TE desperately.  It is not a small need. 

They passed on a desperate need to pick up a 3rd QB when their 2d QB has never played a down.

It is stupid.  And no Keller does not solve the problem.  He is coming off a catastrophic injury too. 

Defense.  It is still important.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I think some things need to be considered before anyone goes with the old...stay rational guys, stay rational, they know what they are doing, stuff.

One- Ryan Mallett. It wasn't all that long ago when everyone was saying...relax, this makes perfect sense, he has an all world arm, should of been a first round pick and will replace Brady...he is the heir to the throne and at the very least will net us a first round pick three years down the road. How did that work out for us??

Two- our defensive line. It reads like this...Wilfork 33 coming off a torn Achilles tendon. Kelly 32 coming off a torn ACL. Will Smith 32 coming off a torn ACL. Easley 23 coming off a torn ACL. Armstead 25 coming off heart surgery.

Three- our tight ends. We will enter the season with no one who will be able to run a route or catch a pass at the tight end position. A little aggressive maneuvering last night and that wouldn't be the case.

Four- our running backs. We didn't resign Blount and then we didn't want to pay Moreno and then whiffed on MJD. We have one guy who will most likely be our starter who fumbles like it's his job and another guy who can't seem to walk ten feet in a straight line without getting injured. This is what we currently have.

Five- our receivers. We have two slot receivers who historically are the most injured players at the position in the NFL (Amendola, Edelman). We have Dobson who is coming off a serious foot injury. We have Lafell, who may be just great, but reading the carolina boards didn't make me feel all that great about him. This was the deepest draft in a very very long time at the receiver spot and we came away with nothing after three rounds...nothing.

So if my math is correct we drafted one undersized D lineman with two blown out knees and a quarterback who won't play for three years. Sounds magical.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

In case anyone needs more reason to hate the draft so far, please remember that in the AFC championship game against Denver, Tom Brady tried to complete a downfield pass to Matthew Slater.

The team had zero weapons.

Defense.  It is still important.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajaym. Show ajaym's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Thank you for that. If you look at the average # of defensive snaps per game we lost with those key defense guy, that will impress you even more than the salary cap figure! Losing 50% of our d-line meant the DEs could be double-teamed. Even then we were ok, till the final straw - Talib went down.  How can people not admire what we accomplished with all that!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigPapi61. Show BigPapi61's posts

I'm good. In a sea of Texan fans, I stand alone yet proud.